Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dutymode posted:

I figured the 800 was poo poo, but I figured I'd list it in case I was wrong.

I'd definitely consider an MT-07 or SV-650, but I haven't seen one with ABS under $5k. Also, I owned a 2001 SV and thought the flat torque curve was really boring.

On paper the Z400 seems like a great fit. I am seeing used Ninja 400's in my price range. I'm not doing track days and prefer to be more upright, but maybe I should consider them if I don't want to pay full price for the Z.

What about a cb400 super four?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

Slavvy posted:

What about a cb400 super four?

I wish, if it came to the US with ABS. I'd break my budget for it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Anyone have any experience with the new super cub? It looks so great, and I'd like to have something smaller for zipping around the neighborhood.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Anyone have any experience with the new super cub? It looks so great, and I'd like to have something smaller for zipping around the neighborhood.

An ex co-worker bought one for commuting across the ferries in Seattle. He really enjoys it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I really dig how they look.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I have a lot of experience with the not-flash version used as a postie bike, the NBC110. The only major functional difference is the disk brake which, based on the drum ones, would be a huge plus.

They are reliable, easy to work on and economical, but those are their only real qualities. They aren't really capable of sustained highway use, the semi-auto gearbox is unpleasant and finicky, the service intervals are painfully short, the tiny chain wears quickly, the suspension is miserable.

A normal 125/150, if you can get one, is much better. If not, a grom is nearly the same thing but much better to ride and with a real clutch.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I've still got my Super Ténéré. It's not like it will be my only biek. I just love the super cub and think it might be fun to tool around Vegas with.

Thanks for the words!

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
My dad's got one of the '19s and it's fun for sure, but that transmission does make it hard to just rip around, at least compared to CVT and manual-shift scooters of similar displacement. It also felt buzzier and slower than my scooters, but that latter part might be because I'm bad with that transmission.

That said I am extremely like to buy the "Hunter Cub" CT125, should it come stateside:

Might have to spend some more time on my dad's Super Cub before I do that, though.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Everything slavvy said is true, based on my experience with the grom platform. The cubs are even slower than the groms, which is pretty tragic. Compared to their offshore postie counterparts, it's probably quite the upgrade. I think really these bikes are pushed into bigger roles than they were intended for here in the states, and that shows them lacking.

You know, other than the grom platform being an underbuilt, barely better than chinese, cost cutting, shitbike moneypit.

However, I came here to post this:

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

My dad's got one of the '19s and it's fun for sure, but that transmission does make it hard to just rip around, at least compared to CVT and manual-shift scooters of similar displacement. It also felt buzzier and slower than my scooters, but that latter part might be because I'm bad with that transmission.

That said I am extremely like to buy the "Hunter Cub" CT125, should it come stateside:

Might have to spend some more time on my dad's Super Cub before I do that, though.

Hachi machi I might have a hard time. I'm thinking a zs190 swap would be just the thing, but my friends are already telling me "you've been down this road before".

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

2013 Triumph Tiger Explorer ABS 28k miles for 6k.

From my local dealer, new tires. Am I crazy for thinking this is a good deal? Shaft drive so I feel like it still has a ton of life left, thinking of trading in my ninja for it. I've been wanting a more comfortable long distance motorcycle

Edit: found a post on an adventure forum detailing all the potential issues and recalls. I'm going to see if I can get a service record to verify all the potential issues have been fixed.

Keegers fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 3, 2020

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Previous owner replaced the ECU and had it maintained at a triumph dealer. Saw the full service records. Was an old retired man so he took good care of it.

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger, took a test drive.

They are right in the middle on price I'ma see if I can knock a couple hundred off or get more on my trade in.

They are closed for the weekend but Ill come back Monday with more ammo for lowering price.

Comes with a triumph tank bag as well not pictured

((This has all been done through phone calls and an appointment, besides me and the salesman the dealership was empty because of the covid restrictions in my state. Mechanics seemed to still be servicing ))

Keegers fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 4, 2020

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Hope you realize that nobody is spending money on recreational vehicles right now and the dealership is hurting bad. All dealerships are hurting. Low-ball the hell out of them and watch them accept your offer. And if they don't, leave your contact information and follow up next week.

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004

Nitrox posted:

All dealerships are hurting

Do you think it's actually worth going to a dealership right now over private sellers? I've had my eye on this bad boy but I certainly wouldn't mind one with 14,000 fewer miles

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/d/seattle-2011-suzuki-drz-400s/7094044619.html

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

Do you think it's actually worth going to a dealership right now over private sellers? I've had my eye on this bad boy but I certainly wouldn't mind one with 14,000 fewer miles

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/d/seattle-2011-suzuki-drz-400s/7094044619.html

According to the automotive thread, you can buy brand new and leftover cars on 0% financing for something like six years. I'm sure this carries over to recreational vehicles as well. But private people are exactly in the same boat. Whole lot of folks are sitting around without work, and some are getting desperate for money. Keep an eye out on Facebook first and foremost, there are fire sales about.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

I would say this is hurting the dealers more than private sellers, who generally aren't counting on that money to stay afloat, so if you're someone who prefers dealerships and financing (not me) now would be probably the best time to buy a new bike in like, ever.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you want to finance a bike you can absolutely put the screws to both a dealership and a bank right now very easily

You have the upper hand for the first time in like forever

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You have the upper hand for the first time in like forever

You just need to wait until you’re allowed out...

Someday.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Horse Clocks posted:

You just need to wait until you’re allowed out...

Someday.
I just bought a house over the phone. I'm sure he can manage

Verisign helped too

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Ended up buying the tiger. Probably could have haggled a bit more but I got them to knock $300 off and change the oil/final drive oil for free. Could easily do those myself but nice to be able to just ride right away and not change the oils as soon as I get home.

They also gave me more on my trade in than I was expecting, they gave me $3200 for 18 ninja 400 with 8k miles. Those are selling around 3.6k so not too much of loss since I didn't have to deal with Craigslisters.

All together paying ~2.5k out of pocket for it all said and done. I'm stoked this thing rides loving awesome

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's... actually a great deal you got there. It's a good looking bike and not having to sell your bike is a big plus. Grats!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

$400 to not have to deal with the mouth breathers from CL and/or FB is a good deal, especially since a lot of people are not going to be spending discretionary money right now, even if they have it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I love that Tiger. How is the transition to that from a 400?

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Rolo posted:

I love that Tiger. How is the transition to that from a 400?

Still getting used to it. Obviously more power, but the main thing I'm adjusting to is the height. I'm still a bit hesitant to lean in, but I've been practicing in a parking lot and on some back roads and I'm getting more comfortable with the height.

One advantage already from the height is I feel like I can actually see in front of the car in front of me and gives me better vision overall.

I also need to get used to the effortless power, I will be cruising at 45mph and do a slight twist of my wrist and hit 60-70 on accident. Where as the ninja that same twist would get me to 50mph.

Overall I'm happy with the bike so far, and am happy I no longer feel like I'm maxing out the bikes capabilities on the freeway anymore. Which was the main reason I wanted to upgrade I wanted to start touring/going on longer rides which anything over two hours was brutal on the ninja.

Edit: Hoping to enroll in an off-road adventure course when covid is over. I want to start learning to off-road and since this is such a big bike I feel a course would be the best place to start.

Keegers fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 9, 2020

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Keegers posted:

Still getting used to it. Obviously more power, but the main thing I'm adjusting to is the height. I'm still a bit hesitant to lean in, but I've been practicing in a parking lot and on some back roads and I'm getting more comfortable with the height.

One advantage already from the height is I feel like I can actually see in front of the car in front of me and gives me better vision overall.

I also need to get used to the effortless power, I will be cruising at 45mph and do a slight twist of my wrist and hit 60-70 on accident. Where as the ninja that same twist would get me to 50mph.

Overall I'm happy with the bike so far, and am happy I no longer feel like I'm maxing out the bikes capabilities on the freeway anymore. Which was the main reason I wanted to upgrade I wanted to start touring/going on longer rides which anything over two hours was brutal on the ninja.

Edit: Hoping to enroll in an off-road adventure course when covid is over. I want to start learning to off-road and since this is such a big bike I feel a course would be the best place to start.

Definitely take a class. If you want to go off-road and you are able to, spend $1000 on a ttr125 and take it to your local trails. TTR225 if you’re particularly big. It’ll be indestructible, you’re far less likely to hurt yourself and you’ll be able to get comfortable on a bike that is smaller, lighter and easier to control. You can then resell it for ~what you bought it for when you’re done.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

builds character posted:

Definitely take a class. If you want to go off-road and you are able to, spend $1000 on a ttr125 and take it to your local trails. TTR225 if you’re particularly big. It’ll be indestructible, you’re far less likely to hurt yourself and you’ll be able to get comfortable on a bike that is smaller, lighter and easier to control. You can then resell it for ~what you bought it for when you’re done.

This is really the cheapest, fastest way to get more comfortable with street riding. Go feel all sorts of different actions and subsequent reactions in the woods so you're not scared of them when they happen on the street.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Agreed. They are two totally different worlds each with their own skills and difficulties but off-road allows you to do things with a bike you normally wouldn't do otherwise. Riding over obstacles, looking ahead, body weight shifting, spinning your tire on purpose, picking lines, skidding, clutch work, brake work, balance ... It all translates in some way, even if just to boost your confidence on two wheels manipulating a bike.

mewse
May 2, 2006

*ahem* I have a bicycle for that

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

ill buy a motorcycle if i can do 0% down with 0% interest for 6 years, sound fair?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Google Butt posted:

ill buy a motorcycle if i can do 0% down with 0% interest for 6 years, sound fair?

No.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Financially, it makes sense if you have that money ready to invest somewhere else and earn interest back. If you're financing because you just can't afford to buy anything else, then it's a horrendously bad decision.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

If you are sure you can pay it down, sure. But how the hell can you be sure of your financial situation 6 years into the future while you are in the middle of a pandemic? And how can you afford 0% down and be sure you can pay it down?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I was joking I'll buy a used tw200

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Google Butt posted:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Google Butt posted:

Yes.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I never thought I'd want a bigger touring bike, as I've been lusting after a 4th/5th gen VFR for a long time, but a couple older ('08/'09) Kawasaki Concours bikes have popped up on the ole Craigslist. Anyone ride/own a Concours? Thoughts?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Google Butt posted:

Hell yeah I want one of these too.

The 2020 also looks cool.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Price aside, why would someone get a TW200 over a WR250? I want to get a dual sport, but I would want one that's basically a manufacturer-plated dirt bike.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Toe Rag posted:

Price aside, why would someone get a TW200 over a WR250? I want to get a dual sport, but I would want one that's basically a manufacturer-plated dirt bike.

Because they’re dope.

I’ve only ever ridden one on pavement, but it was hilarious fun. They’re maneuverable, sticky, low, light, and other things that are just easy mode. You can whip out full lock turns with no effort, stop surprisingly well, and just generally throw it around and it’ll come back up like one of those weighted inflatable punching dummies. On dirt, they have the reputation of all those things but additionally being able to climb a tree without throwing you off it. They’re a 100% utilitarian farm tool.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 10, 2020

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Because they’re dope.

Yup. Can't really describe why unless you ride one, but I've owned two, currently own a WR250X, and would gladly own another TW. They're just fun. It's a good bike to teach people on, and a good bike to have around for friends. But yeah you really can't apples-to-apples them because of the price difference. The WR is a drastically better bike in every objective way.

kloa posted:

I never thought I'd want a bigger touring bike, as I've been lusting after a 4th/5th gen VFR for a long time, but a couple older ('08/'09) Kawasaki Concours bikes have popped up on the ole Craigslist. Anyone ride/own a Concours? Thoughts?

I've never owned one but before I bought my 2nd VFR I did a bunch of research into them and they seem very reliable bikes that give an insane amount of features for the price on the used market. The only issue I have with the bigger sport tourers/touring bikes when buying used is you don't want to be around if (when) electronic issues start popping up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

big wheels are very cool

iirc there was some dude on advrider who converted some old three wheeler into a shaft drive big wheel and it was insane the poo poo he did with it out in the mountains in idaho