Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
just lol if you didn't play the gently caress out of serious sam

i can still hear the sound in my head. aaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Thumper is a rhythm game

"but wait, how can that possibly work on stadia"

they made the input window very very large

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Midjack posted:

i think a goon worked on the steamworld games.

another reason to not try them

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i think serious sam had a remake recently but regardless im surprised to see it too

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The_Franz posted:

i recognize it because i played it when it came out. almost 20 years ago

serious sam test 1 was released w/ the karnak demo level in may of 2000

so just one month shy of 20 years ago

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
serious sam 3: bfe was one of the first games i bought on steam, bck when linux games were slim pickins, not sure if i ever beat it

Apr 7, 2003

A game about cooking your Easter dinner, called Serious Ham

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
no, ham is disgusting and not fit for human comspumtion, the good easter stuff is kielbasa and especially kiszka

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Agile Vector posted:

i think serious sam had a remake recently but regardless im surprised to see it too
the "serious sam collection" on stadia consists of the 2009 hd versions of the first game and its standalone expansion, and the third game from 2011. it's probably worth mentioning that all three games were made to run on an xbox 360 with 512mb of ram, so not exactly a showcase for cloud gaming, but iirc one of the original creators joined google's stadia team recently so it was probably an easy get.

the steamworld games are good but are entirely 2d puppet animation and can run on a nintendo 3ds, so again, not a huge showcase of the infinite power of the cloud.

gylt, spitlings and stacks on stacks are timed-exclusive indie games, and if the rumblings from other indie developers are any indication google probably offered an insultingly low payday for the privilege...

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

a game where you win by talking to everyone's manager, called Serious Pam

i much prefer interacting with frivolous pam

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

The Kins posted:

gylt, spitlings and stacks on stacks are timed-exclusive indie games, and if the rumblings from other indie developers are any indication google probably offered an insultingly low payday for the privilege...

if there’s one thing google is good at, it’s making enemies of content partners. it’s the reason android tv collapsed.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Management posted:

if there’s one thing google is good at, it’s making enemies of content partners. it’s the reason android tv collapsed.
almost taking logitech with it, lol

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
stadia is also getting west of loathing, a game that looks like this

and has an install size of 237 MB on the switch

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
xckd guy's art has really improved!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
oh man I remember playing kingdom of loathing back in the day

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

west of loathing is good
considering what destiny looks like on stadia, it’s about the max that it can handle.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
west of loathing is a good game

its the opposite of a showcase for your systems graphics chops though

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i figured you could probably do some cool multiplayer thing on stadia leveraging the fact that you always have near-zero peer-to-peer latency and are running things on 100% trusted hardware

but lol, can you imagine building a game that you could literally never port to some non-stadia platform

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jabor posted:

i figured you could probably do some cool multiplayer thing on stadia leveraging the fact that you always have near-zero peer-to-peer latency and are running things on 100% trusted hardware

but lol, can you imagine building a game that you could literally never port to some non-stadia platform
iirc the head of xbox mentioned this kind of thing as something they can theoretically do with their own streaming service (project xcloud) by having their servers link up over lan in the datacenter to effectively trade one set of multiplayer lag issues for another... but all xcloud games are xbox games so cloud-exclusivity wouldn't be on the table.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
google, renown for really putting in the work to build long term stable product lines, is planning to ditch qualcomm to build their own smartphone soc

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
good, gently caress qualcomm

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Management posted:

gently caress qualcomm
:hai:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Management posted:

yeah but a goog baseband will probably be equally as terrible in slightly different ways.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
looks like it's still gonna be a qcom radio, so look forward to that continuing to suck just the same

those patents are hard to break

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jabor posted:

looks like it's still gonna be a qcom radio, so look forward to that continuing to suck just the same

google on top of qualcomm

i can smell the quality already

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Midjack posted:

yeah but a goog baseband will probably be equally as terrible in slightly different ways.

not my problem. qualcomm, however, is everyone’s problem

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Management posted:

the only good thing to come out of Qualcomm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7qTHbOEiDY

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jabor posted:

do you figure anyone else makes a better mobile modem though? intel was the main competitor but was usually worse and has gotten out of the business. i am prepared to think it is a pretty hard problem, and that it'd be doubly stupid if google decided to try their hand at that at the same time.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

do you figure anyone else makes a better mobile modem though? intel was the main competitor but was usually worse and has gotten out of the business. i am prepared to think it is a pretty hard problem, and that it'd be doubly stupid if google decided to try their hand at that at the same time.

it’s an extremely hard problem. qualcomm makes the best modem in terms of radio performance, and they’re usually ahead of everyone else in implementing new standards. and then there’s the patents, which gives them a stranglehold on the industry.

other companies have tried to make modems. Samsung, in particular. it takes a huge software investment, which is not something most chip companies are usually prepared for or know how to execute, and usually ends up poorly.

intel made mediocre modems. in typical intel fashion the software was bad. also they put a loving x86 chip in their modem because they’re intel. Apple owns that business now. they will likely integrate the modem into their soc, dump the x86 core, and eventually whip the software into some shape. but it will take a long time and they will still be behind qualcomm.

google will of course try it eventually, assuming their chip plans don’t implode. they will punt on the hard problems by replacing a real algorithm implementation with a machine learning model. it might work decently most of the time. good enough for android quality, anyway. but that will be a long time from now.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the google model: works acceptably some of the time, occasionally shits itself badly enough to take down the local cell, stays in "beta" forever so they never have to address the underlying issues

Apr 7, 2003

infernal machines posted:

the google model: works acceptably some of the time, occasionally shits itself badly enough to take down the local cell, stays in "beta" forever so they never have to address the underlying issues

I haven't used an android phone since I had a Galaxy Nexus that would randomly hard lock when I tried to play my music because I had too much music. Playing music is a core feature. Come on.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I had a Galaxy Nexus once and it exploded my favorite headphones by handing off from my Bluetooth speaker to the headphones in the wrong order or something and producing a tremendous burst of ear-splitting noise that destroyed the diaphragms.

Don't buy Samsung products

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

anyone know how those fancy walk/run tracking apps work? seems like the andoird sensors api does not do a lot of "location tracking"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

they probably stay open in the background while misusing an api while sending your location data to an untrustworthy entity and draining your battery at the same time

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

Last Chance posted:

they probably stay open in the background while misusing an api while sending your location data to an untrustworthy entity and draining your battery at the same time

my thing is staying open all the time and draining the battery but still going long stretches without updates :rip:

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

awesomeolion posted:

anyone know how those fancy walk/run tracking apps work? seems like the andoird sensors api does not do a lot of "location tracking"

isnt it just the accelerometer

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

Vomik posted:

isnt it just the accelerometer

im sure this is a joke and i just got owned but afaik you cant use accelerometer to determine location unless you're the american military or something

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

awesomeolion posted:

im sure this is a joke and i just got owned but afaik you cant use accelerometer to determine location unless you're the american military or something

the accelerometer is used for the pedometer

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

infernal machines posted:

the accelerometer is used for the pedometer

i didnt know tviv had a mod detector

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene