Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Bearjew posted:

is it all over

no comrade Premier, it has only begun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

I think they might be getting some bad reviews.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Bearjew posted:

is it all over

yeah everything is fine now

the dutch have stopped giving a poo poo now that the weather is nice, and the parks are packed with people, though everyone is 4.5 feet apart. Everyone would rather die than miss the 3 weeks of sunshine in the year

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1248764008116695042

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
ooh they are giving us more colors!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

yee-owza

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

thats more like it

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

April 10: "Today was the deadliest day for the US during the coronavirus pandemic"
April 11: "Today was the deadliest day for the US during the coronavirus pandemic"
April 12: "Today was the deadliest day for the US during the coronavirus pandemic"
April 13: "Today was the deadliest day for the US during the coronavirus pandemic"
April 14: "Today was the deadliest day for the US during the coronavirus pandemic"
April 15: "Today was the deadliest day for the US during the coronavirus pandemic"
April 16: "Today was the deadliest day for the US during the coronavirus pandemic"
April 17: "Today was the deadliest day for the US during the coronavirus pandemic"

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

name (plz print): our valued neighbor at

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

reported deaths are leveling off just about the same time as we hit a testing plateau and also the hospitals filling up in hotspots

surely just a coincidence

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Open by Easter folks! Go to church, kiss hands and shake babies

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

twoday posted:

yeah everything is fine now

the dutch have stopped giving a poo poo now that the weather is nice, and the parks are packed with people, though everyone is 4.5 feet apart. Everyone would rather die than miss the 3 weeks of sunshine in the year

why are the dutch and swedish so god drat foolish about this

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
We are reaching substantial new peaks in confirmed cases even with limited testing and deaths are climbing even with the stats being scrubbed. Also, hospitalizations in NYC are "leveling off" as lines form out front and people are turned back.

This is going to keep on going on like this for months.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Squizzle posted:

yeah it's really crazy

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

we need to MAKE GERMS DUMB AGAIN

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
now that's what i call

stockholm syndrome :frogc00l:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Spergin Morlock posted:

so what are the odds they did this on purpose to try to shrink the homeless population

breed is bought and paid for by the real estate and hospitality industries

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

:lol: this isn't possible because China can trade this debt on the open market. They will subsequently crash the US bond market by selling all of it at once. If the US isn't willing to buy it, then that means that China will dump it's $1.2 trillion worth of bonds onto a market like 8 to 10 trillion in size instantaneously and crushing a bunch of investment banks and bond funds.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

we're getting very close to eclipsing Italy for #1 death count

working hard!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lmao

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Lote posted:

:lol: this isn't possible because China can trade this debt on the open market. They will subsequently crash the US bond market by selling all of it at once. If the US isn't willing to buy it, then that means that China will dump it's $1.2 trillion worth of bonds onto a market like 8 to 10 trillion in size instantaneously and crushing a bunch of investment banks and bond funds.

sweet let's do it

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Swedes have a bit of a superiority complex, I am not that surprised they decided to off themselves to be honest.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Squizzle posted:

Each one skipped a world war and in general there is a pretty large normalcy bias, plus the standard of living is very high so people just can't really wrap their head around a crisis. Also, I don't know about Sweden but the Dutch media has been insanely bad at reporting this as a threat, and all the news has been framed very optimistically, to avoid public panic by pointing out the inherent value in remaining calm and level headed. I will dig up a terrible op Ed from a dutch newspaper in a second as an example

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

im glad we are choosing death

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Lote posted:

Right but what can us normal citizens do to help?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Guess who decided to show up again

Motherfucking Bird Flu

https://twitter.com/NewsHour/status/1248748091328434176

(They've culled the turkey herd and expect that should stop the spread to other farms)

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Lote posted:

HELL YEA

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

VectorSigma posted:

reported deaths are leveling off just about the same time as we hit a testing plateau and also the hospitals filling up in hotspots

surely just a coincidence

That was the 8pm report. It's gonna go higher than that today.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

KaptainKrunk posted:

no comrade Premier, it has only begun

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

someone link the "we die" gif

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
I think Twitter understands why there needs to be Death to America

twoday
May 4, 2005

twoday posted:

the Dutch media has been insanely bad at reporting this as a threat, and all the news has been framed very optimistically, to avoid public panic by pointing out the inherent value in remaining calm and level headed. I will dig up a terrible op Ed from a dutch newspaper in a second as an example

This entire article from one month ago is about dutch "nuchterheid," which is a word meaning both literal sobriety and also generally referring to having a calm, level-headed mentality. When I posted it in the Dutch thread, one of the replies was that this article was like "sniffing your own farts so hard that you generate a vacuum"

quote:

Why Dutch people react so soberly to the corona virus
Down-to-earth Dutch
Even now that the number of infections is steadily rising and the first Dutch death has fallen, the Dutch remain sober about the coronavirus.
Freek Schravesande
March 6, 2020, NRC
Reading time 3 minutes

We wash our hands, but not too often.

We'll stay home without complaints if the doctor asks us to.

We don't hoard cans of beans - unless they're on sale.

It is the level-headedness that Gabril van den Brink, cultural historian at VU University Amsterdam, most notices these days. "And surprised."

The Dutch citizen, who can swirl with anger about Zwarte Piet and gender-neutral toilets, who spouts his opinion on Twitter about everything, responds remarkably calmly to the Covid-19 virus. The vast majority seem to want to adhere to RIVM's advice, embrace new greeting rituals with a smile, and remain realistic. "People are bouncing back to the response of 'don't freak out', but now also realize: 'okay, so there could be deaths.'" The only ones who sometimes have a tendency towards hysteria, according to Van den Brink, are the media. "They really hadn't reported like that in 30 years."

But the citizen doesn't care. He would rather listen to RIVM boss Jaap van Dissel, who talks quietly on TV about diagnoses, definitions and forecasts. And that is the second thing that Gabriel van den Brink notices: the strong belief in institutions, "the professional", in the classic bureaucracy. "I even see a kind of pride among citizens about how the Netherlands approaches this. Like: we are doing better than the Chinese, the Italians.

It is not so obvious that people are not fooled. A new danger is coming at people, with new uncertainties, "and people don't like that," says Bas van den Putte, professor of health communication at the University of Amsterdam. "We want to know how great that danger is and how we can deal with it. That gives a sense of control.

And that is exactly what the government is doing now, Van den Putte sees. Communicate clearly about the number of infections and give real, manageable advice about what you can do yourself, for the feeling of control. It works: the trains are still full, the stadiums too. If the government reacts like the Italian, who has now closed schools far beyond the risk areas, "you would just stir up the unrest."

Delta works

The Dutch are also used to dealing with risks. Look at the traffic: seven hundred deaths a year and yet we get in the car - because we think we have control. We even live below sea level, what a risk! But whether it is the sea or a virus, the danger is to be braved - Gabriel van den Brink tastes that sentiment in society: "The reflex of the Delta Works."

We solve a joint problem together. Herman Pleij, cultural historian, attended many lectures in recent weeks and everywhere he saw visitors taking small precautions. Like, recently, don't shake hands. The Dutch are quite disciplined. We show solidarity, togetherness, that is still in the medieval culture of brotherhood, guilds, shipping companies.

At the same time, he also saw enough people at those meetings who were just bothered by the advice. Visitors who shook hands excessively afterwards, even plucking each other. "Like this: I will decide that myself." Which is also very Dutch, says Pleij, given our horizontal, individualistic, anti-hierarchical society. "We owe this to our merchant morale, which arose when the citizen became so rich at the end of the Middle Ages that he was no longer dependent on the nobility and the clergy." The Dutchman is therefore docile and stubborn, says Pleij. "A nice balance."

Compromises

But does this also contain an unknown virus?

The polder model must offer a solution. The Dutch do not like leaders or decrees, so institutions, politics and the business sector discuss measures and reach compromises. And the Dutch are good at that, says Pleij. Our consultation model leads to creative solutions, decisions are widely supported and the model does not stand in the way of decisiveness. Just look at how quickly RIVM responds to the changed circumstances with its advice.

But what if that check is no longer there? What if the number of infections multiplied, hundreds would die. How do we respond?

"Yes, then panic can arise," says Gabriel van den Brink. Then trust in the institutions can turn into mistrust and you get conspiracy thinkers who are going to shout: say, who actually pays that RIVM? Oh, it makes sense that there is no vaccine!

many such articles

twoday has issued a correction as of 01:50 on Apr 11, 2020

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Squizzle posted:

name (plz print): our valued neighbor at

COVID-19 April: YOU COULD WIN A 2020 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE LATITUDE

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

The Glumslinger posted:

Motherfucking Bird Flu

(They've culled the turkey herd and expect that should stop the spread to other farms)

this isnt uncommon though I dont think... and is usually dealt with that way (mass cull)

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Ruggan posted:

this isnt uncommon though I dont think... and is usually dealt with that way (mass cull)

Yeah, it says the last major outbreak was about 3 years ago

Still, its just another one of those "not now, we're busy" things like Krakatoa erupting this afternoon

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

facetoucher cat posted:

I think Twitter understands why there needs to be Death to America

Death IN American not Death TO America

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ZONES SPREADING STALKER

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

Motherfucking Bird Flu

In a dimly lit room, Jared Kushner is chatting on Zoom with his FB group of doctors, nodding and taking notes on this post on the something awful forums. The new strategy to contain Covid-19 is formed

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Lote posted:

Thanks, I needed an uplifting story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

COVID-19 April: YOU COULD WIN A 2020 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE LATITUDE