Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I looked at the wr but they seem kind of rare? Maybe it's just my area

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Have a look at the Kawasaki kl250 stockman/Sherpa.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Slavvy posted:

Have a look at the Kawasaki kl250 stockman/Sherpa.

This looks like it's harder to find than a wr250x. I'm in California.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Google Butt posted:

This looks like it's harder to find than a wr250x. I'm in California.

WR250x is the supermoto version and is rarer due to low volume and they stopped making it in 2011 or whatever. The WR250R is the dual sport model and is much more common. It has stayed mostly the same since 2008. Sherpa's are pretty rare here, we didn't get very many but the KLX250S is very common.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Gorson posted:

WR250x is the supermoto version and is rarer due to low volume and they stopped making it in 2011 or whatever. The WR250R is the dual sport model and is much more common. It has stayed mostly the same since 2008. Sherpa's are pretty rare here, we didn't get very many but the KLX250S is very common.

If I had my choice and it fit my budget I would absolutely get a supermoto, second would be a dual sport. I've been looking at the drz sm but I think it's a little heavier and taller than I'd like to start out with. Do the x and r have the same motor?

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I've ridden my father-in-law's TW200 around and they're great fun. Low, grippy, and a ton of fun on tight trails where you're not going very fast anyway. Fortnine did my favorite review video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2a-sUdaNJ8

I ended up going with an XT250 because the disk breaks and slightly more power for short freeway stretches, but the TW's great.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Toe Rag posted:

Price aside, why would someone get a TW200 over a WR250? I want to get a dual sport, but I would want one that's basically a manufacturer-plated dirt bike.

They're vastly different bikes. As someone who owns a wr250f (dirt version but mine is street legal), I would rather jump on a tw200 to go to the hardware store or pick something up in town. They're super easy to ride and they're smooth. I took my Moto safety course on one and I loved it. Sure I like my WR but it's way more of a performance off-road bike. What makes the TW not a performance off road bike is what makes it good everywhere else. The other thing is seat height. Wr seats are high. I'm 5'10" and it's tough for me to get a leg over it. I'm on my toes on flat ground. TWs are shorter and more friendly to newer riders. Also, should my wr is pretty durable and reliable, it has a lot of newer tech making it more complicated internally if anything does break. The tw today is probably the exact tw from 30 years ago ... Maybe with led lights.

Even the wr250r (street version) is still pretty tall. It looks similar to my bike but it's a completely different bike. Engine, transmission, etc is different.

Verman fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 10, 2020

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

The Hunter Cub would do the trick as well, hope it comes to America

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Thanks. I wasn’t trying to be dismissive of the TW. I haven’t ridden either bike. I would rather have a proper dirt bike but it’s not an option for a couple reasons, which is why the WR has much more appeal to me.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I'm more interested in: what's the difference between the TW200 and the XT250? 'cause I rode the XT at MSF last fall but haven't ridden the TW

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The TW200 is amazing, always bet on fat tires

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The TW200 is the bike I always search for first on the marketplace. I've come so close to getting one for years, but they are either way too high priced, or too far away. Such a cool bike in general.

I wish more bikes came with super fat tires.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Coydog posted:

The TW200 is the bike I always search for first on the marketplace. I've come so close to getting one for years, but they are either way too high priced, or too far away. Such a cool bike in general.

I wish more bikes came with super fat tires.

What years should I be looking at? I know they haven't changed much, but it seems like 2009+ definitely seems worthwhile just for the disc brakes

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I've always heard the older the better, and I really want the option of kickstart.

In any case, whichever one is teal and white is the one to get.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Google Butt posted:

What years should I be looking at? I know they haven't changed much, but it seems like 2009+ definitely seems worthwhile just for the disc brakes

I have a 2006 tw200 back home in OR that I've used as a farm bike for awhile. I'd definitely recommend getting one with a front disc cause drum brakes are stupid, but I think the disc became standard around 2002

iirc the tw200 stopped having the kick start in the early 2000s, but tbh it's a 200cc bike. you can bump start it by pushing it while running and then hopping on the back and dropping the clutch in 2nd gear. i do not see the point in having a kick, but I believe yamaha will sell you a kit for ~$200 if you think it is that necessary

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Google Butt posted:

If I had my choice and it fit my budget I would absolutely get a supermoto, second would be a dual sport. I've been looking at the drz sm but I think it's a little heavier and taller than I'd like to start out with. Do the x and r have the same motor?

Exact same bike except the X has 17 inch wheels and the R has 21F/19R. X has black frame/black forks the R has silver frame gold forks. The WR250f is a whole 'nother animal.

FBS posted:

I'm more interested in: what's the difference between the TW200 and the XT250? 'cause I rode the XT at MSF last fall but haven't ridden the TW

The XT250 is the replacement for the XT225 and is an incremental step up and doesn't share much if anything with the TW. The TW and XT225 shared many similarities, more or less the same bike but with the TW's wider swingarm and front forks for the fat tires. You can even put a XT225 motor (or TTR225 which are both 6 speeds vs the TW's 5 speed) in the TW200 frame if you replace the output shaft. Get the XT if you want a little more highway capability. You don't want to take the TW on the freeway and even highways are a stretch.

Google Butt posted:

2001+ is add front disc brake and subtract kickstart. Avoid the 87 unless it is cheap they used a different electrical system with faulty CDI's. Other than that Yamaha has been making the same bike since 1987 with only minor changes. The disc brake is nice to have but so is the kickstart. The general consensus is that the older bikes are better built and there are reports of the newer motors having a base gasket leak issue, but I never saw it in my 94 or 96. Ideally you buy an older one and swap a newer front end on with the disc and have the best of both worlds.

Expect to pay around $2k for a well taken care of older one and $3k for something 2005+.

Coydog posted:

In any case, whichever one is teal and white is the one to get.

https://www.tw200forum.com/threads/tws-by-year-a-photo-collection.49393/

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The teal/purple ‘89 is rad.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What do I buy if I've owned a DR650 before and I know it's exactly what I need and I should just buy another, but I want the styling of a retro styling Triumph Bonneville, old UJM etc?

Every thing I can find either weighs 500lbs or doesn't actually have the aesthetics I want (ducati scrambler).

It would need to be pretty much the perfect match since I can just go get a used DR650 for $3500 anywhere, so I'd need to be really compelled to spend two or three times that new on a niche bike.

I think I've exhausted the offerings of new bikes, but is there something older that might work?

Sigh. I'm just really not that excited by the DR650 looks. It's very good for what it is but I don't want a "dirt bike" to be my primary/only motorcycle. Probably what I'll end up with anyway.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
There are some very compelling scrambler/ujm conversions out there for the dr650, but I get what you are saying.

Just get the bike you seem to actually want (Bonnie). Life is too short to own the same motorcycle twice without good reason.

Comedy option: Yamaha SCR950

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I love pretty bikes. The look of those classic bikes is awesome, and I also love the ~Indian~ Scout and the Bonniebobber. That's what they used to call me in high school.

That's why I have posters of pretty bikes on my garage wall to look at, and I ride the bike that I actually enjoy riding.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is there anything even close to a bolt on conversion kit for a DR650 or is it all just custom one off's posted in articles to make me miserable?

I know that the fundamental bike geometry means it can't be bolted into looking like a scrambler, but if there are options out there people know about I'd like to see them. I'm trying to google it now but eh, the topic is kind of weird to me so I'm probably doing it wrong.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

What do I buy if I've owned a DR650 before and I know it's exactly what I need and I should just buy another, but I want the styling of a retro styling Triumph Bonneville, old UJM etc?
Dominator Scramblers seem to be pretty common.

https://youtu.be/S-D6Vu2yWFI

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jack B Nimble posted:

...and another DR650.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jack B Nimble posted:

Is there anything even close to a bolt on conversion kit for a DR650 or is it all just custom one off's posted in articles to make me miserable?

I know that the fundamental bike geometry means it can't be bolted into looking like a scrambler, but if there are options out there people know about I'd like to see them. I'm trying to google it now but eh, the topic is kind of weird to me so I'm probably doing it wrong.

Maybe Parr Motorcycles will sell you one of those sweet DR650 scramblers they're putting all over Instagram lately.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Oof. Well, hmn. It's about what I figured but it still helped just to complain to someone, so thanks for that.

The super secret answer is probably to just keep riding my CB300F, which is, like, a fine bike that can already do anything I need it to.

Edit: Ok, I forgot for a second that the CB300F doesn't have a purchasable wind screen that actually works for someone my height, but who wants to ride for hours on the interstate anyway.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 13, 2020

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Are you hanging out with a bike club, or bike nights, or doing a Cars n Coffee type thing? Why does styling matter so much if you're an experienced enough rider to know what you like riding? Honest question, no judgement or snark intended. I do get that it's cool to own things that look cool, especially cars and bikes, so if that's all it is, go for it.

Maybe you need to build it. Get a DR or similar and just build. I think that's why we're seeing more dual sports converted to scramblers lately, it doesn't take as much fabrication or specialized tools and skills to do it as converting a street bike to a scrambler. The ergos, suspension, and exhaust are already where they need to be, airbox and battery are already high and forward out of sight, so unless you're making a radical tail section, most of what's left to be done is some minimal body work, fenders, a new tank, lights, and a seat. The rear subframe on DRs and maybe DRZs is bolt on, you can just pull that off and weld up a loop or something to clean it up.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 13, 2020

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
^^^^ this is a little unfair. Styling is a huge part of the Motorcycle Experience. We are just fortunate that stock Bush pigs have the styling we love.

I think modded up dr's do look pretty amazing. Bikes are just big Legos anyways.

Suzuki makes a small version of what you want, called the vanvan. Basically a mini dr650 ujm scrambler.

Edit: now I just want a fat tire, low slung like a tdub, dr650 :sigh:

Coydog fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 13, 2020

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

TBF some of those DR650 Scramblers do look nice and unlike most customs don't turn the bike into a useless pile of shiny parts. Problem is, you want to be able to throw your dual sport down like a NES controller then pick it back up completely care-free.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I've seen that one. I didn't actually google the seat height on the vanvan but it looks real small, and I need to be able to ride 2up eeevery once and a while.

Mostly it's that I'm window shopping / thinking on what bike I might want next, so of course I'm trying to find the one perfect bike. My CB300f is light, fun around town, and perfectly capable of taking on most any trip. The DR650, with its suspension and ability to fall over better, would let me explore some ATV trails and junk, and I'd like to do that.

Regarding the aesthetics, nah it's just me, I haven't ridden with anyone else in years and, since I've always been ATGATT and preferred smaller, lighter bikes, I've long since gotten used to just doing my own thing. But, you know, when you drop thousands of dollars on a bike you're going to own for years, you'd kinda of want to like how it looks, and I've never enjoyed the modern naked look of the CB300F. With the DR650 it's less that I dislike how it looks (I actually do like 90's style dual sports), it's more that I'd merely prefer something else.

Keeping my CB300F while I work on DR650 as a garage project is tempting, but I know myself well enough to think I'd almost certainly just end up with a cut up bike frame and some worthless parts, so I'd better not. I'll probably  just do what I did the last time I looked into new bikes, which is to just keep the bike I have for another couple of years and see what else comes out. Or buy a cheap used dual sport as a second bike, but I never wanted to collect too many (more than one) bikes. Ah well, we’ll see.

Edit: I should have looked harder at the Vanvan. As someone who's currently very happy on 300cc 350lb bike, but wants a dual sport with retro styling, uuuuh yeah. The specs say the seat height is about the same as my CB300f and this review says it does 2 up fine. And I don't need to try to find a used one because they're cheap new. Hmmn.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 13, 2020

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Are you hanging out with a bike club, or bike nights, or doing a Cars n Coffee type thing? Why does styling matter so much if you're an experienced enough rider to know what you like riding? Honest question, no judgement or snark intended. I do get that it's cool to own things that look cool, especially cars and bikes, so if that's all it is, go for it.

Maybe you need to build it. Get a DR or similar and just build. I think that's why we're seeing more dual sports converted to scramblers lately, it doesn't take as much fabrication or specialized tools and skills to do it as converting a street bike to a scrambler. The ergos, suspension, and exhaust are already where they need to be, airbox and battery are already high and forward out of sight, so unless you're making a radical tail section, most of what's left to be done is some minimal body work, fenders, a new tank, lights, and a seat. The rear subframe on DRs and maybe DRZs is bolt on, you can just pull that off and weld up a loop or something to clean it up.

because DRs are ugly as gently caress

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coydog posted:

^^^^ this is a little unfair. Styling is a huge part of the Motorcycle Experience. We are just fortunate that stock Bush pigs have the styling we love.

I think modded up dr's do look pretty amazing. Bikes are just big Legos anyways.

Suzuki makes a small version of what you want, called the vanvan. Basically a mini dr650 ujm scrambler.

I really don't mean it in any judgemental way at all. My reason for asking is that it's kind of uncommon on this particular forum for anyone outside of a new rider to be looking for a bike based on styling. Seems like we mostly pick something that's suited to riding wants/needs and then find the stylish one in that class. I'm fully a function over form fudd, and I think a lot of us on here come to like the styling of the bikes that best suit our riding for the most part, or just don't give a poo poo about style at all. Supermotos look dope to people who like to ride bikes, and to the rest of the world either look weird or completely ignorable. Super custom cafe racers and bobbers look dope to the bike curious or non-bike world, and are pretty much ignored by people who are serious about riding in a particular way.

Jack B Nimble: have you considered the SR500?

Also, yes, modded up DRs are usually pretty sweet.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Heeeee is the SR400/500 kick start?? My DR was kick start, that's really appealing.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jack B Nimble posted:

Heeeee is the SR400/500 kick start?? My DR was kick start, that's really appealing.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they had kickers.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
IIRC it's kick start ONLY. We nearly ran someone out of here for wanting and buying an sr400 years ago. My how we have chilled out (except for Razzled)

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I love bonnevilles. If the world were perfect I would have my dirt bike, a Bonneville, and a big touring/adv bike ... and my old Honda trail 70. ... And an electric trials bike. I swear that's all.

And an old 50s Norton dominator because they're beautiful and I don't even care if it runs. It's a significantly more reliable bike when it's hanging on the wall anyway.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Coydog posted:

IIRC it's kick start ONLY. We nearly ran someone out of here for wanting and buying an sr400 years ago. My how we have chilled out (except for Razzled)

i don't think light ribbing over an overpriced hipster bike qualifies as nearly running someone out

that one dude who cited mustang driving as a case for upgrading to a bigger bike tho...

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jack B Nimble posted:

Oof. Well, hmn. It's about what I figured but it still helped just to complain to someone, so thanks for that.

The super secret answer is probably to just keep riding my CB300F, which is, like, a fine bike that can already do anything I need it to.

Edit: Ok, I forgot for a second that the CB300F doesn't have a purchasable wind screen that actually works for someone my height, but who wants to ride for hours on the interstate anyway.

Forget the windscreen, get a better helmet. My GT-Air is fine for 90mph on a naked bike - admittedly the tinyness of the UK means keeping that up for over 3 hours is not only not necessary isn't even possible in most of the country, at least without getting some serious salt corrosion.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah it's more that it keeps me from riding on a USA interstate for hours and hours. But good news, there's another that keeps me from doing that, boredom! So it's less a deal breaker and more a shame that I can't keep a windshield in my garage "just in case".

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Kickstart only sounds like a really cool idea until the engine overheats because it's air-cooled and you're sitting in traffic too long and it stalls at a stoplight and you're sitting there kicking the poo poo out of it while messing with the choke and throttle for what feels like 5 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, though it's EFI I think. I dunno, it never really bugged me in my DR, so it's not all me daydreaming about a thing I've never had to live with. Might get old, you're right, but I'm working with few enough choices here that I wouldn't throw a bike out as an option just because once a year someone is behind me honking while I curse and hop and down.