Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

ultrafilter posted:

Lucifriend.

Icon of Fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/StrongBadActual/status/1248604904190509056

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Oh nooo now all my Spotify playlists have become Strong Bad playlists

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Hihohe posted:

Hell yeah, get yourself a Bapho-Mate

Azrapal

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Palzuzu

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party

Hirayuki posted:

I'm working on a show that's based in the Spring & Autumn and Warring States period and had forgotten how out-there some of the headwear was. I'd love to know what the bead curtain is for on the righthand guy, for example, if it was more than just decoration.

I was just watching a TV show set in this period with a Chinese woman last night. I asked her the same question. She said it has to do with the emperor being so important that it is not proper to look directly at his face.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The Korean pimp hats dudes wear in Kingdom are way cooler. Also, it's one of the few zombie shows I've enjoyed.

Sound on, obviously.
https://i.imgur.com/6Ip9rSb.mp4

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Lodin posted:

The Korean pimp hats dudes wear in Kingdom are way cooler. Also, it's one of the few zombie shows I've enjoyed.

Sound on, obviously.
https://i.imgur.com/6Ip9rSb.mp4

The giant feather rabbit ears are cool on those too

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Cheeses Christ!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hirayuki posted:

I'm working on a show that's based in the Spring & Autumn and Warring States period and had forgotten how out-there some of the headwear was. I'd love to know what the bead curtain is for on the righthand guy, for example, if it was more than just decoration.

Chimes would be added to them so even if he wasn't paying attention he would still know that someone had entered his personal space.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

poopnanners posted:

I was just watching a TV show set in this period with a Chinese woman last night. I asked her the same question. She said it has to do with the emperor being so important that it is not proper to look directly at his face.

But apparently it's ok to ask him to smell your fingers

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

poopnanners posted:

I've always loved weird little things like that, even if they end up turning out apocryphal. Like how in Japan the royal court would use a sealant process to prevent tooth decay that ended up making your teeth pitch black. It was a super expensive process, so many people would fake it with squid ink. Or how, even today, you don't button the bottom button of your sports coat because 3-4 hundred years ago a French Emperor was too fat to button his jacket.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Getting really off topic here, but the bead veil thing might have roots going as far back as Asian prehistory. It was worn by religious figures in many Siberian shamanistic/animistic religions, is also found in the ritual attire of Mongolian shamanism (Tengrism), as well as Tibetan Buddhism (which contains a bunch of pre-Buddhist beliefs and imagery), suggesting that they all diverged from a very early religion that spanned most of northern Asia. It was not unified, just a kind of word-of-mouth spread that ended up all over the place. Ritual clothing in the far northwest of North America even shows signs of influence.

The big takeaway is that beaded veils are cool and ominous as gently caress, give off that "blind seer" vibe. You see someone with a curtain of glass and precious gems over they face, you know they mean business.

It also makes it much more palatable to see a figure "speaking for the gods/spirits/whatever" if their face is obscured.

...this isn't one of the history themed PYF threads, is it? Oops.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Lobok posted:

Chimes would be added to them so even if he wasn't paying attention he would still know that someone had entered his personal space.

oh yeah the Siberian/Tungusic people loving LOVED bells and chimes. Imagine if you had like 20 carabiners with jingle bells sewn into your winter coat. just JANGLIN down the street catchin' eyes

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Matephistopeles

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

WITCHCRAFT posted:

It also makes it much more palatable to see a figure "speaking for the gods/spirits/whatever" if their face is obscured.

Shy and Shameless
Jul 15, 2015

Raised by birbs

[Eureka's Castle intensifies]

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

WITCHCRAFT posted:

Getting really off topic here, but the bead veil thing might have roots going as far back as Asian prehistory. It was worn by religious figures in many Siberian shamanistic/animistic religions, is also found in the ritual attire of Mongolian shamanism (Tengrism), as well as Tibetan Buddhism (which contains a bunch of pre-Buddhist beliefs and imagery), suggesting that they all diverged from a very early religion that spanned most of northern Asia. It was not unified, just a kind of word-of-mouth spread that ended up all over the place. Ritual clothing in the far northwest of North America even shows signs of influence.

The big takeaway is that beaded veils are cool and ominous as gently caress, give off that "blind seer" vibe. You see someone with a curtain of glass and precious gems over they face, you know they mean business.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRg_8NNPTD8

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

krinklechip posted:

[Eureka's Castle intensifies]

This post is extremely my jam.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica
'we' is the pronoun for a small group of high level party members

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

WITCHCRAFT posted:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I have one of those:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Doctor Zero posted:

I have one of those:

Idk if you’ve seen queer eye but that text description seems pretty accurate :thunk:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

beanieson posted:

Idk if you’ve seen queer eye but that text description seems pretty accurate :thunk:

One hell of a makeover!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I had one too:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Mierenneuker posted:

Matephistopeles
Diabro.

Diabroheim.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

E: Beaten like a sexy motherfucker

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

BiggerBoat posted:

E: Beaten like a sexy motherfucker

Eye no

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

This is some Ben Shapiro level propaganda omg.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He has such an amazing voice.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

muscles like this! posted:

He has such an amazing voice.

Is that someone doing cosplay of Lawrence Fishburnes character on Pee-Wee's Playhouse?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Johnny Aztec posted:

Is that someone doing cosplay of Lawrence Fishburnes character on Pee-Wee's Playhouse?

Orville Peck, the gay, masked, country singing cowboy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3esGD6lcMM

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug

Hirayuki posted:

Primitive HUD abacus

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Mindless posted:

Primitive HUD abacus

Please, it's a HUA

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Nalesh posted:

Please, it's a HUA

As featured in Scent of a Woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Nalesh posted:

Please, it's a HUA

My HUA fined me for parking my truck in my own driveway :rolleyes: