Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm playing castlevania symphony of the night for the first time. in it you can have a bat friend that follows you around, and you can also turn into a bat yourself. the bat friend pops up a ❤️ when you do this, and then a ? when you transform back into a human. you rock, bat friend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
It's really neat how FFXIV manages to get some remarkably relatable human emotions into the most bugfuck loopy situations. Like, in this latest quest to get your cool ultraweapon, Cid has a moment of talking about the day his dad made a terrible mistake that got a lot of people killed, and how he'd always been haunted by the thought that if he'd just had the perfect logic or said the right thing, he could have talked him out of it.

It turns out the reason his dad did the terrible thing was he was being possessed by a furious dragon god an ancient empire imprisoned in the moon. But who hasn't felt that way some time in their life?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Welp wishlisted.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Thinky Whale posted:

It's really neat how FFXIV manages to get some remarkably relatable human emotions into the most bugfuck loopy situations. Like, in this latest quest to get your cool ultraweapon, Cid has a moment of talking about the day his dad made a terrible mistake that got a lot of people killed, and how he'd always been haunted by the thought that if he'd just had the perfect logic or said the right thing, he could have talked him out of it.

It turns out the reason his dad did the terrible thing was he was being possessed by a furious dragon god an ancient empire imprisoned in the moon. But who hasn't felt that way some time in their life?

That quest very quickly became one of my favorite parts of the game, because it's essentially them going full 'Persona dungeon', but after they've had a whole game and several expansions to expand on the character central to it, rather than a Persona game usually only giving itself a couple hours to flesh out a character before their dungeon.

I love that, when you break it down, the entire scenario is just you knocking back all of the excuses he's put up for himself to not have to confront these terrible memories of his father. First, you fight 'memory antibodies' which are basically just saying 'NO NO NO STOP'. Then a reflection of Bahamut, to represent how big what happened was and how it effectively eclipses any attempt to look into now-passed root causes. And then finally, a reflection of an Imperial officer who was a superior at the time as Cid had spent the whole time since this moment essentially excusing his dad's actions as the fault of higher-ups, and not himself. The thing that really puts it above and beyond for me is just that, under all of the crazy high fantasy stuff, you're just looking at these strikingly human responses to a terrible thing.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Going back to Control for the new story DLC, and I'm once again remembering all the fine little touches they put in to really sell you on the game world. Currently I'm really appreciating how your dash move damages things in the environment, even if they're just near you and you're not physically slamming into them. Combined with the great feel and sound design, it does a great job at making you feel like you're barely harnessing big forces that could easily go out of, uh, control if you're not careful.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

can this and Star Fetchers both materialize in my library now please

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

Cleretic posted:

I love that, when you break it down, the entire scenario is just you knocking back all of the excuses he's put up for himself to not have to confront these terrible memories of his father. First, you fight 'memory antibodies' which are basically just saying 'NO NO NO STOP'. Then a reflection of Bahamut, to represent how big what happened was and how it effectively eclipses any attempt to look into now-passed root causes. And then finally, a reflection of an Imperial officer who was a superior at the time as Cid had spent the whole time since this moment essentially excusing his dad's actions as the fault of higher-ups, and not himself. The thing that really puts it above and beyond for me is just that, under all of the crazy high fantasy stuff, you're just looking at these strikingly human responses to a terrible thing.

Woah, I hadn't even made the connection that that's why Varis is who Cid sees. That's ingenious.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Thinky Whale posted:

Woah, I hadn't even made the connection that that's why Varis is who Cid sees. That's ingenious.

I thought it was fairly clear because of how the surrounding cutscenes frame it all, but I guess it is a little ambiguous. It actually starts as Solus, the at-the-time Emperor, before Cid realizes it can't have been, because he never met Solus. Then it goes to Varis--he wasn't Emperor at the time, but he was a figure of authority (hence why his outfit goes from the Emperor garb to something more military--the boss fight also has him using the same title as Zenos did in Stormblood, so he's around that rank) and Cid probably did meet him, if only in passing. So he clearly doesn't actually remember someone higher up was there, he's just convinced himself he does and has never really interrogated that. Cid actually had already been seen to use Imperial rulers as an excuse to not confront what his dad did, too, when Gaius brought up everything that comes out in that quest during the Praetorium.

That layer of it only breaks down after you actually fight Varis, and Cid realizes he can't have been responsible, either; because his turmoil isn't just because of what his dad did with the project, it's also because his dad shot him, and when forced to confront all of this, only his father could've done that part.

It's such a fantastically good quest, and I really hope what comes after it meets that standard. And as an aside, it is very clever to use Cid for this sort of story, because despite all that's happened to him he's a very logical sort of person who does value evidence and reason. He listens and pays attention in places where a lot of people would probably reject the alternatives to what they've decided.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Yeah! The slow, meandering search for the truth was real good.

For content, I've been replaying FFXII and it's one of those games where non-human enemies don't drop cash, but thematically appropriate loot. The good little thing is that every bit of loot has its own flavour text about how it's usually used in the world. I love learning that trade in bone fragments is forbidden in some countries for fear of necromancy, or that this lightning-elemental rock can be used as an airship power source.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Captain Hygiene posted:

Going back to Control for the new story DLC, and I'm once again remembering all the fine little touches they put in to really sell you on the game world. Currently I'm really appreciating how your dash move damages things in the environment, even if they're just near you and you're not physically slamming into them. Combined with the great feel and sound design, it does a great job at making you feel like you're barely harnessing big forces that could easily go out of, uh, control if you're not careful.

I like that if you dash near wood panelled walls, you'll zoom by, then like half a second later the panelling rips off, like a shockwave was catching up to you.

Probably has this effect on other stuff but I really noticed it on the walls

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Control's physics really take me back to the early 2000s where GEO-MOD TECHNOLOGY and fully interactible environments were going to be the future of gaming.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like the animal behaviours in Breath of the Wild, like Wolves will attack you, but if you kill one of them the rest freak out and run away because it turns out you aren't such easy prey after all.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

I like the animal behaviours in Breath of the Wild, like Wolves will attack you, but if you kill one of them the rest freak out and run away because it turns out you aren't such easy prey after all.

I really like it when enemies react to your behavior. Like sometimes in FO3 raiders will surrender because they realize that they can't win.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Alhazred posted:

I really like it when enemies react to your behavior. Like sometimes in FO3 raiders will surrender because they realize that they can't win.
Don't they just sit there for two seconds and then start attacking you again, or is that only in Skyrim?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Doc M posted:

Don't they just sit there for two seconds and then start attacking you again, or is that only in Skyrim?

That annoyed me all the way back in Rise of the Triad. The fact that it's still a thing in multiple games 25 years later is just rubbing salt in the wound.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
The enemy AI being intelligent enough to surrender when losing was an advertised feature in Skyrim's marketing too. I think in FO3 they just try to run away?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In the otherwise abysmal Titus Robocop game enemies will surrender if you deal enough damage to them. Whats amusing is it doesnt really seem tied to like, anything you do, and seemingly just overrides whatever else is going on and is random so you'll occasionally shoot someone in the head and instead of dying they surrender no worse for wear.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Kanfy posted:

The enemy AI being intelligent enough to surrender when losing was an advertised feature in Skyrim's marketing too. I think in FO3 they just try to run away?
It was even supposed to be in Oblivion. Enemies were supposed to surrender, I think they sometimes do for a couple of seconds and then their AI resets. You're supposed to be able to yield and they talked a lot about how honourable enemies like guards would accept your surrender but in practice I don't think it worked ever

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It was even supposed to be in Oblivion. Enemies were supposed to surrender, I think they sometimes do for a couple of seconds and then their AI resets. You're supposed to be able to yield and they talked a lot about how honourable enemies like guards would accept your surrender but in practice I don't think it worked ever

I believe that guards actually did yield if you did a specific input (I want to say it was like, block and whatever spacebar was bound to) so that they could instead get you to pay the fine or serve your sentence, but basically nobody else did, and it wasn't even that useful for guards, given chances were pretty low you were fighting them accidentally.

As usual, it's a little hard to tell the difference between 'working as intended', 'emergent behavior neither expected nor unwanted', and 'actual buggy behavior' on most of this.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 17:38 on Apr 12, 2020

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Zelda's Monster Fan Kilton is adorable, just bought the masks from him. :3:

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'm playing Dead Space 2 for the first time.

So far I'm most of the way through the 3rd chapter and although stuff screams and leaps out of random places a lot (especially that scene by the school, was not anticipating that), one thing that has really played with my expectations is not once has something burst out of a lift. Every time I call one my cutter is aimed squarely between those doors just in case, but I think it's cool that they haven't gone for an obvious one.

The sound design/dynamic range is top notch too, the thing that startled me most so was when randomly all the sprinklers came on, crushingly loudly in comparison to the quiet ambience. Nothing attacked afterwards either.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Dead Space 2 is really a masterclass game in most regards, yeah. I wish I wasn’t such a big baby and could enjoy crushingly scary games like it

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Then the final elevator actually Jumpscares NonzeroCircle and he comes back with "OK Never mind, it couldn't help itself :mad:". I haven't played the game myself so it's not a spoiler, just a joke.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Kanfy posted:

I don't know about 3,but one of my favorite NV moments was during a neutral one when my character was reasonably far along and a very powered up badass. One of the random mugging encounters pop up and the guy was just "ok give me all your-ho ho holy poo poo it's you! Sorry never mind!" and gave me some corn and ran off

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

BioEnchanted posted:

Then the final elevator actually Jumpscares NonzeroCircle and he comes back with "OK Never mind, it couldn't help itself :mad:". I haven't played the game myself so it's not a spoiler, just a joke.

I really hope at the end it reveals that Isaac was just having a mad daydream whilst waiting for a lift to take him back to the dayroom in his space asylum. Then the lift eats him.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Not so little thing about FFVII Remake is that it is an amazing looking game.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I never played any of the sequels, but I really enjoyed the original Dead Space.

I remember early on, when entering a part of the ship that had been damaged and exposed to open space, there was no sound. All you hear is Issac's breathing, and muffled thumps of his boots against the floor. That was such an amazing game to play with headphones.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

NonzeroCircle posted:

The sound design/dynamic range is top notch too, the thing that startled me most so was when randomly all the sprinklers came on, crushingly loudly in comparison to the quiet ambience. Nothing attacked afterwards either.

Reminds me of Teleglitch, a survival horror roguelike game where audio cues are super important for warning you if enemies are nearby. Some rooms have heavy machinery running in them, and the hum from the machines overwhelms any of the cues. It's amazing how anxious that makes me feel; I can't wait to get away from those rooms so I know if I'm being snuck up on!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Zombie Guy posted:

I never played any of the sequels, but I really enjoyed the original Dead Space.

I remember early on, when entering a part of the ship that had been damaged and exposed to open space, there was no sound. All you hear is Issac's breathing, and muffled thumps of his boots against the floor. That was such an amazing game to play with headphones.

You should definitely try to play 2, it's everything good about the first game only more so.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Zombie Guy posted:

Dead Space 2 is an excellent sequel and just a plain grest sci-fi horror game. Dead Space 3 is more action-oriented, and some didn't like it as much, but I quite enjoyed it as it's framed as Isaac very much being done with this bullshit and cleaning house on another Marker infestation on his terms for once.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Think of it this way

Dead Space 2 is Starship Troopers, an unquestionable classic.

Dead Space 3 is The Fifth Element, hot garbage.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

oldpainless posted:

Think of it this way

Dead Space 2 is Starship Troopers, an unquestionable classic.

Dead Space 3 is The Fifth Element, hot garbage.

:thatsbait.gif:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Materia physically appears on your weapons in VIImake. Even Tifa's gloves will have little glowing orbs on them.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Doc M posted:

When I played it they dropped their guns and sat down,. They only started attacking if I began attacking them

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Prophecy fulfilled: One came crashing through the ceiling whilst I was in a lift :vince:

Loving it.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Dead Space 1 is Alien

Dead Space 2 is Aliens

Dead Space 3 is Alien vs Predator

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Morpheus posted:

I like that if you dash near wood panelled walls, you'll zoom by, then like half a second later the panelling rips off, like a shockwave was catching up to you.

Probably has this effect on other stuff but I really noticed it on the walls

I don't care if the game bogs down in overly-busy rooms, the "paper/shards exploding alongside you" modeling is just :kiss:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
No Man's Sky recently patched in "living ships", which are exactly what they sound like: ships made of biological components instead of mechanical parts and which the lore says have their own minds. They have their own tech tree, too, made of different specialized organs that function identically to the normal hyperdrive, laser cannon, etc. The cockpit interior is all gross and gooey and instead of a joystick you grab a sort of fleshy protrusion and wiggle it around to control them.

Anyway, the clever bit is in the text you get when you mouse over one of the installed organs. In the mechanical ships, you get basic instructions like "press X to activate hyperdrive". But in the living ships, going back to the "mind of their own" thing, you get instructions along the lines of "press X to request that the ship please consider activating the hyperdrive".

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Having beat 2016 Doom I want to go on record saying the Gauss Cannon is one of the most satisfying weapons I’ve ever used in a video game.

Getting the charge up stance and landing a shot to instagib some of the largest enemies never got old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Leal posted:

Materia physically appears on your weapons in VIImake. Even Tifa's gloves will have little glowing orbs on them.

Not only that, but the linked materia slots are reflected in the weapon designs. :allears: