Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Fuckin' lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Corporation is my friend, and cares about me. Thanks corporation!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

I thought Vietnam went less one country two systems.do they even have billionaires?

On paper, Vietnam's economic reforms went even farther than Dengism, though Vietnam is just a poorer country overall that also had been in constant conflict from about 1940 to 1975

Manky Tungeon
Jun 11, 2018

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

twoday posted:

it was a lot of set up for a practical joke, but it was all worth it to see this reaction

please teach me the secrets of the interleukins

having lots of IL6 is bad? apparently? did anything come of this?

Yes administration saw how much it costs and has restricted it’s use to only the sickest patients and as a last resort.

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

*US general frantically searching google for a solution to the trolley problem*
No, that's against the law!

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Nodelphi posted:

Yes administration saw how much it costs and has restricted it’s use to only the sickest patients and as a last resort.

cool, cool

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I was going to say this the other day with a different example, but every time you see a white dude in the internet arranging their words like someone from the 1500s, or yoda, you know they’re a loving nazi.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

univbee posted:

It literally is. Poor kids used to have to hide they were eating lobster to not be mocked. Hell, there were even laws in the US prison system that inmates couldn’t be fed lobster more than three times a week (it was perceived like eating rats was). But then things changed to the point lobster became the most popular last meal request for death row inmates.
Iirc this is basically based entirely on tall tales, and there is no serious historical evidence. They were definitely a luxury item in Europe well before any of these yarns are set.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
https://twitter.com/DailyMirror/status/1248524436493471745

this should help keep people indoors

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
lol howw is getfiscal still trolling successfully here

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

i am harry posted:

I was going to say this the other day with a different example, but every time you see a white dude in the internet arranging their words like someone from the 1500s, or yoda, you know they’re a loving nazi.

very true

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
harry i love you but make a reddit account

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Still love this one.
https://mobile.twitter.com/steak_umm/status/929054982330109953

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Charun posted:

IHME model still crushing it - deaths well within the MOE.

might as well open up for sunday. it'll be a marvelous thing to see all those packed churches!

The Margin of Error Store called!

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Charun posted:

IHME model still crushing it - deaths well within the MOE.

might as well open up for sunday. it'll be a marvelous thing to see all those packed churches!

lmfao

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Lowtax went to war with Steak-umm?

People really need to update the SAclopedia more.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Wow, I managed to catch up on this thread, which I haven't been able to in a long time without jumping to the last like three pages. Given that this thread is primarily American posters, I can only conclude that things there are far worse than they appear and that an appreciable amount of posters are dead or dying from COVID-19.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

seattle plague rat posted:

harry i love you but make a reddit account

I unfortunately have one I use to post tattoos to my local area and I find it very difficult to not tell every poster to go gently caress themselves about absolutely everything.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

"just a bee, bro"

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

i am harry posted:

turn on your monitor

CPA Hell
Apr 15, 2007

I like to press the number six!

Jymmybob posted:

It's true. Go anywhere outside Asheville and the prices drop off a cliff but then you either have to get a job close by or drive forever since it takes an eternity to get anywhere. My distance to travel time calibration from Ohio is still all hosed up here. It's a beautiful area and the general mood is really pleasant, plus I get to watch facebook posts by people in Ohio where it's snowing and miserable while I do yard work wearing shorts under blue sky.

wow, there are quite a few of us from this neck of the woods. I’m south of Asheville, just across the boarder in S.C.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

are people still getting uniquely mad at steakumms for podcasting via tweet

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
steak-umms trap house

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
umm town

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/proustmalone/status/1248686012454375425

quote:

(Bloomberg Opinion) -- California this week declared its independence from the federal government’s feeble efforts to fight Covid-19 — and perhaps from a bit more. The consequences for the fight against the pandemic are almost certainly positive. The implications for the brewing civil war between Trumpism and America’s budding 21st-century majority, embodied by California’s multiracial liberal electorate, are less clear.

Speaking on MSNBC, Governor Gavin Newsom said that he would use the bulk purchasing power of California “as a nation-state” to acquire the hospital supplies that the federal government has failed to provide. If all goes according to plan, Newsom said, California might even “export some of those supplies to states in need.”

“Nation-state.” “Export.”

Newsom is accomplishing a few things here, with what can only be a deliberate lack of subtlety. First and foremost, he is trying to relieve the shortage of personal protective equipment — a crisis the White House has proved incapable of remedying. Details are a little fuzzy, but Newsom, according to news reports, has organized multiple suppliers to deliver roughly 200 million masks monthly.

Second, Newsom is kicking sand in the face of President Donald Trump after Newsom’s previous flattery — the coin of the White House realm — failed to produce results. If Trump can’t manage to deliver supplies, there’s no point in Newsom continuing the charade.

Third, and this may be the most enduring effect, Newsom is sending a powerful message to both political parties. So far, the Republican Party’s war on democratic values, institutions and laws has been a largely one-sided affair, with the GOP assaulting and the Democratic Party defending. The lethal ruling this week by the U.S. Supreme Court’s Republican bloc, which required Wisconsin residents to vote in person during a pandemic that shut down polling stations, is a preview of the fall campaign. The GOP intends to restrict vote-by-mail and other legitimate enfranchisement to suppress turnout amid fear, uncertainty and disease.

At some point this civil war by other means, with the goal of enshrining GOP minority rule, will provoke a Democratic counteroffensive. Newsom, leader of the nation’s largest state, is perhaps accelerating that response, shaking Democrats out of denial and putting Republicans on notice. California, an economic behemoth whose taxpayers account for 15% of individual contributions to the U.S. Treasury, is now toning up at muscle beach.

What that means, of course, is left to the imagination. But not much is required to envision what might evolve.

Newsom, a former lieutenant governor who won the top job in 2018, has used the “nation-state” phrase before. It’s a very odd thing to say. California, like its 49 smaller siblings, qualifies only as the second half. But it’s obviously no slip of the tongue. Democratic state Senator Scott Wiener, a leader in California’s cumbersome efforts to produce more housing, said soon after Newsom took office in 2019 that reorienting the state’s relationship to Washington is a necessity, not a choice.

“The federal government is no longer a reliable partner in delivering health care, in supporting immigrants, supporting LGBT people, in protecting the environment, so we need to forge our own path,” Wiener said. “We can do everything in our power to protect our state, but we need a reliable federal partner. And right now we don’t have that.”

The statement appears prescient in light of the Trump administration’s failure to protect against a pandemic. Newsom was the first governor to issue a stay-at-home order, on March 19. Though his state is chock-full of cosmopolitan centers, and rural threats loom as well, California is weathering the virus in far better shape than New York, which has many fewer people and many more deaths.

Federalism has always had rough spots, but conflict is rising and resolutions are not. California is a sanctuary state while the Trump administration is fond of immigration dragnets. Marijuana is grown, marketed and used in abundance in the state while the White House conjures more restrictions. The Trump administration endorses extreme gun rights; California has other ideas. Most of all, Trump’s failure to act, or even take responsibility for acting, in the face of pandemic has required California, like other states, to look out for itself.

One conflict, however, encompasses all others, and could galvanize Californians into new ways of thinking about their state and its relationship to Washington. The GOP war on democracy is inspired by a drive for racial and cultural supremacy that jeopardizes the democratic aspirations and human rights of California’s multiracial citizenry.

From Fort Sumter to Little Rock to Montgomery, the blueprint for states opposing federal control has a recurring theme. But there is no reason that states can’t adopt a racist playbook for other ends. If California and other 21st-century polities withhold revenue, or otherwise distance themselves from Washington’s control, legal and political battles will escalate. Republicans will have a legitimate constitutional argument — but it will be a morally tainted and politically illegitimate one so long as they continue to subvert majority rule.

The experience of states battling Covid-19 while the White House devotes its energy to winning the news cycle may be instructive. What is the difference, conceptually, between a state deploying its power to protect its population’s health and a state using it to protect its population’s democratic rights?

John C. Calhoun, who used the theory of states’ rights to defend the institution of slavery, is not generally a philosophical lodestar for liberal Democrats such as Newsom. But if Republicans (or foreign friends) succeed in sabotaging democracy in November, Calhoun’s theory of nullification, which posited that states have the power to defy federal law, could be ripe for a comeback on the left coast. With the heirs of the Confederacy now reigning in Washington, turnabout might be very fair play.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

so 2 days is the(a) projected peak?

that seems...unlikely...

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"you are very smart, listener, you should think critically and seek expert information defined thusly. Your anger is valid and I too am angry. Like, follow, subscribe to my patreon buy my meat flaps so I can tell you these things full time"

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

It’s a true statement right? Nice to see California’s governor making the point

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

doing an online search for that new tb cure for my 9 dumb kids but I keep getting videos of big cocked grannies...

J. P. Beagley
Apr 11, 2008

California Going Its Own Way [CGIOW]

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

CODChimera posted:

so 2 days is the(a) projected peak?

that seems...unlikely...

it's the peak if everyone stays the gently caress home and it miraculously doesn't pop up anywhere else after, say, mass religious gatherings where people constantly intone "and also with you" and touch each other's faces

surely there's nothing like that happening right now

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

however the balkanization of the US plays out, i'm with team california

lmao like all of our food and industry comes from there

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

SKULL.GIF posted:

it's the peak if everyone stays the gently caress home and it miraculously doesn't pop up anywhere else after, say, mass religious gatherings where people constantly intone "and also with you" and touch each other's faces

surely there's nothing like that happening right now

it also relies on keeping the distancing measures in place and not repealing them once we're on the downswing which lmao

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

California owns

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Bcg is the official witch doctor magic cure this thread has decided will save us so it’s not like that other witch doctor magic cure trump pushes

thats right

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

mod sassinator posted:

however the balkanization of the US plays out, i'm with team california

lmao like all of our food and industry comes from there

California oversells this and the specialization is the product of history and not inevitability. The idea the the lib states are special because they have the most tech/FIRE money, making them some moral beacon is deeply flawed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

California would be great as its own nation, except I have reservations about the power of techbros. Of that which I am on a lower rung of the caste.

Maybe if Cascadia united with California, it could temper that.