Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Gunpla is waaaaaaagggghhh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

That Gobbo posted:

I finished my entry for my local gunpla group's build off where everyone had to use a MG Ball kit. I kitbashed it with a bunch of stuff to create a Warhammer 40k Ork Morkanaut which was a ton of fun to do. You can check out the full imgur album here and I also wrote an article on the process here!

A: what the fuuuuuuck

B: nice work incorporating the dreamforge parts into it, they're some of my favorite wargame models ever and it's always nice to see them get some appreciation, posthumously as it may be

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
FYI the Uniqlo Gunpla T-shirts are up after being delayed. https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/ut-graphic-tees/gundam

You can get the Uniqlo colors RX-78-2 or Zaku 2 for free with the purchase of 3 shirts. The Zaku 2 colors are a bit too garish for me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

That Gobbo posted:

I finished my entry for my local gunpla group's build off where everyone had to use a MG Ball kit. I kitbashed it with a bunch of stuff to create a Warhammer 40k Ork Morkanaut which was a ton of fun to do. You can check out the full imgur album here and I also wrote an article on the process here!

Mobile Suit Gundork.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

That Gobbo posted:

That's baller as hell.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
https://twitter.com/bustrider/status/1249180976686694400

Posting this partly to track how long it takes me to finish this (aiming for a weekend build!) and partly to shame myself to completing the trio of W kits. I need to see how well these combine and swap, and this is a nice reintroduction to building before I leap in on an MG or PG in the backlog.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

END ME SCOOB posted:

https://twitter.com/bustrider/status/1249180976686694400

Posting this partly to track how long it takes me to finish this (aiming for a weekend build!) and partly to shame myself to completing the trio of W kits. I need to see how well these combine and swap, and this is a nice reintroduction to building before I leap in on an MG or PG in the backlog.

Let me know how they compare to recent bandai Gundam kit engineering. I've been curious about those.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sazabi posted:

Let me know how they compare to recent bandai Gundam kit engineering. I've been curious about those.

If they’re like the current Ultraman kits they’ll be a delight.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
With where I'm stopping tonight, I haven't begun doing the hot-swap but the actual parts are all lovely and have given me zero trouble. I'll probably finish off Cyclone/Joker tomorrow and start in on the next to see how it goes. Also I don't have many more recent kits (I think these are the newest I own) to compare, but it's the easiest I've assembled to date.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

mllaneza posted:

That's baller as hell.

I see what you did there

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

My backlog pile was getting pretty low due to the amount of stuff I've been building due to being home so much more, so I decided it was time to buy some new stuff and think I did pretty well.

The box for that Narrative Sinaju Stein is ridiculously large and I'm so excited for all of them.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
I can't speak for the Sinanju but the other three are all great kits.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So I ordered from HLJ and got shipment through EMS and...apparently it shipped last week but I have not seen any movement since? According to the tracking it has not left japan yet. Is that normal? Is it some sort of customs thing I need to handle or merely just a COVID-19 related delay?

I contacted HLJ to see what is up but I wanted to know if anyone else had this experience. I have no idea how to approach talking to the Postal Service about small plastic robot models.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

So I ordered from HLJ and got shipment through EMS and...apparently it shipped last week but I have not seen any movement since? According to the tracking it has not left japan yet. Is that normal? Is it some sort of customs thing I need to handle or merely just a COVID-19 related delay?

I contacted HLJ to see what is up but I wanted to know if anyone else had this experience. I have no idea how to approach talking to the Postal Service about small plastic robot models.

Japan Post stopped accepting international EMS to a lot of places on April 2. They are also super slow on everything else because there are nowhere near as many planes in the air at the moment. There's not much you can do besides be patient.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

After building the Exia I've been itching to build another PG (also I'm bored out of my mind with the country being locked down), anyone built the PG Gundam Mk-II? How is it?

I just made £400 off ebay and one of the UK stores has both the normal and Titans versions of the Mk-II in stock for £200 (I'd only be getting one of them, I'm not that crazy).

I understand that it's almost 20 years old and looking at the pictures on dalong there are some screws and springs, how's the build with those? I've never done a kit old enough that it has screws.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Midjack posted:

Japan Post stopped accepting international EMS to a lot of places on April 2. They are also super slow on everything else because there are nowhere near as many planes in the air at the moment. There's not much you can do besides be patient.

Well, I made the order on Friday the 3rd so I guess I put it in before that became more wildly known.

I will wait for them to respond and see what my options are. Still, if it can't be helped I am fine with waiting it out.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Veotax posted:

After building the Exia I've been itching to build another PG (also I'm bored out of my mind with the country being locked down), anyone built the PG Gundam Mk-II? How is it?

I just made £400 off ebay and one of the UK stores has both the normal and Titans versions of the Mk-II in stock for £200 (I'd only be getting one of them, I'm not that crazy).

I understand that it's almost 20 years old and looking at the pictures on dalong there are some screws and springs, how's the build with those? I've never done a kit old enough that it has screws.

I built my AEUG version in the late 2000s (and it's been in storage since... 2013?). Keeping that time gap in mind, I don't recall any serious problems building it, other than it being a bit of a slog due to the parts count. But you've already built one PG so you'll be familiar there.

There's some power conduction "cables" in there that are actually metal chain... I think they might have been a bit of a pain to wrangle but nowhere near the cables on an MG Zaku 2.0. As for screws, yes, there's a bunch, they're self-tapping from what I remember (so like a wood screw), just make sure they start going in close to straight, and don't overtighten them as you can strip either the plastic or the screw head. Way better to go a bit loose and tighten as needed. If you've got a set of precision drivers for computer building, I recommend those - the narrow grip on them makes it harder to overtorque anything.

Ankles might be a little weak, but at the time I chalked that up to square-cube law issues.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Alrighty, looks like I'm gonna need some quality stands, and probably at least half a dozen of them. What are the best stands for gunpla, non-gunpla, stands that hold a figure without requiring a peghole to plug into, etc? Least obvious stands, most obvious stands, whatever is the best and most affordable for multiple purchases. I've never really dealt with stands outside of the ones already included with figmas and such.

Maybe if there's not outrageously priced special effect pieces, I might be interested in those too. Like the ground blastwaves from, say, Wing Zero firing its absurd cannons, that sorta thing but in plastic.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 14, 2020

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Unlucky7 posted:

I've often had gaps where it looks like a package hasn't moved for days then it will either get updated with a delay or advance to within 50 miles. With the Corona virus it's gonna be so much worse. So unless you get told "sorry the package was returned" I wouldn't worry just yet.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

The top ten cheap gunpla tips video included a section making display bases out of empty sprues, I'm thinking of trying that.

I just got an email from JapanPost, they say they've delivered an order I placed through Amazon on March 25. This is just the handoff to USPS, but that's pretty fast in my book.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

I hate these smooth, round, pain-in-the-rear end to grip eyeballs so much. Also: making Gaia Memories at scale with the figure is a real bitch:

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Unlucky7 posted:

Like Midjack said, the air mail is pretty much cancelled out of Japan at the moment. The other shop I buy out of only offer sea freight for shipping now. Presumably as it has a long enough lead time for any virus to die/get processed with sanitisation if it can even make it through the receiving ports.

Probably only able to order from the country your in for the time being.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Puddin posted:

Like Midjack said, the air mail is pretty much cancelled out of Japan at the moment. The other shop I buy out of only offer sea freight for shipping now. Presumably as it has a long enough lead time for any virus to die/get processed with sanitisation if it can even make it through the receiving ports.

Probably only able to order from the country your in for the time being.

SAL is just not happening, but EMS still has limited availability depending on what country you're in. HLJ's said EMS is still good to Australia, but I'd wager nobody wants to be on a plane flying into the number one, pretty-much-uncontained, COVID-19 hotspot in the world right now :patriot:.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 14, 2020

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

SAL is just not happening, but EMS still has limited availability depending on what country you're in. HLJ's said EMS is still good to Australia, but I'd wager nobody wants to be on a plane flying into the number one, pretty-much-uncontained, COVID-19 hotspot in the world right now :patriot:.

According to that pdf they're still cool with it

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Just finished the Heavyarms Kai MG, great kit. A few dodgy bits, particularly the chaingun belt feed which I was forced to superglue after the second time the interior belt disconnected from the end part, sending the individual links flying everywhere. I'll never understand why they often give them toe bends that bend DOWN instead of UP so they can kneel and stuff, they give them plenty of leg articulation and all but then the foot is barely movable. But yeah, just a solid kit. Only major complaint is it does not have a specific hand made to hold the chaingun, and the ones available in the kit are passable at the best of times, but bump it and it'll drop the chaingun instantly.

One question, there seems to be a 1/100 Heavyarms Custom Endless Waltz version that looks to be the same kit but almost triple the price and apparently sold out except for resellers. I thought bandai didn't really retire kits. well, unless they release a newer version of the same suit.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I think the Custom EW was a P-Bandai.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Midjack posted:

Yeah, I ordered some stuff off eBay recently not knowing that. Seller shipped it and it bounced back to them. Right now they're offering to ship DHL for an additional fee, refund the order, or wait until something like May 15th when the shipping restrictions should be lifted. :shepface:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I have box envy and I got it bad. I ordered a Sinanju Stein Narrative based solely on the box size.

Well, it is a cool looking MS, but my motives were not pure.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Midjack posted:

I think the Custom EW was a P-Bandai.
ah, very cool, my favorite gundam and it's some promo bullshit that's limited and super expensive on top of that. great.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

ah, very cool, my favorite gundam and it's some promo bullshit that's limited and super expensive on top of that. great.

They get reprinted occasionally, and there's starting to be US releases for some P-Bandai stuff for basically retail.

If you can get a limited kit from the source, it's not much more than for the basic Heavyarms. It's just going to be a bit of a wait at best.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

chiasaur11 posted:

They get reprinted occasionally, and there's starting to be US releases for some P-Bandai stuff for basically retail.

If you can get a limited kit from the source, it's not much more than for the basic Heavyarms. It's just going to be a bit of a wait at best.

P-Bandai is currently very slowly working through a 'best of' series of reprints based on the results of the 10th anniversary poll. All the MG EW Customs scored very highly so they should be coming up for reprint some time soon.*

*As in within this year if we're lucky. :smith:

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Apr 14, 2020

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

If anyone was wondering about it, I ended up typing up the whole 10th Anniversary Poll results ranking. Anything that's on this list has a fairly good chance of getting a reprint in the near future, however they're not working through it in any particular order so don't hold your breath on anything.

1. MG V2 Assault Buster Gundam Ver. Ka
2. MG Enhanced ZZ Gundam Ver. Ka
3. HG Pale Rider (Ground Heavy Equipment Type)
4. HG Pale Rider (Space Type)
5. HG Gyan Krieger
6. HG Gundam TR-6 [Woundwort]
7. MG Tallgeese III
8. MG Full Armor Gundam (Blue Color Ver.)
9. MG Hi-Nu Gundam Ver Ka. HWS Expansion Set
10. MG Gundam Heavy Arms Custom EW
11. MG Altron Gundam
12. HG GM Sniper II White Dingo
13. MG RGC-80 GM Cannon
14. HG Efreet Custom
15. Re-GZ Custom
16. MG Dozle Zabi Zaku II
17. MG Gundam Sandrock Custom EW
18. MG Zeta Gundam Unit-3 P2 Red Zeta
19. MG Hyaku-Shiki Custom
20. HG Efreet Nacht
21. HG Gundam Marine Type
22. HG Blast Impulse Gundam
23. MG Heavy Gundam
24. RG 00 Qan[T] Full Saber
25. HG Zeta Plus C1
26. RG Zeta Gundam Unit 3
27. MG GM Sniper II (White Dingo)
28. MG 00 XN Raiser
29. MG Nu Gundam HWS Ver. Ka
30. HG Gundam Pixy
31. MG Crossbone Gundam X2 Ver. Ka
32. MG ZZ Gundam Ver Ka. Enhanced Expansion Parts
33. HG Sword Impulse Gundam
34. MG RX-78-1 Prototype Gundam
35. MG Crossbone Gundam X3 Ver. Ka
36. HG Act Zaku
37. HG Gouf Flight Type
38. MG S-Gundam [Bst]
39. MG Tallgeese II
40. MG Gundam Avalanche Exia Dash
41. HG Crossbone Gundam X-0
42. MG Gelgoog Cannon (MSV Colors)
43. MG GM Dominance
44. PG Unicorn Gundam (Final Battle Ver.)
45. MG Zeta Gundam Unit 3B Grey Zeta
46. MG Double Fin Funnel Expansion Unit
47. MG Powered GM
48. HG Efreet
49. MG Dozle Zabi Rick Dom
50. MG Gelgoog High Mobility Type Uma Lightning Custom
51. HG GM Sniper Custom
52. RG Gundam Astrea Type-F
53. HG Heavy Gundam
54. HG Gundam AGE-2 Special Forces
55. MG M'Quve Gouf
56. HG Crossbone Gundam X2 Custom
57. MG Jesta Cannon
58. HG Silver Bullet (Gael Chan Custom)
59. HG Stark Jegan (CCA-MSV Ver.)
60. HG Zeta Gundam [U.C.0088]
61. RE/100 ReBaWoo
62. MG Gundam Astray Red Dragon
63. RG Gundam Exia Repair Parts Set
64. MG Aile Strike Gundam Ver. RM Launcher Striker/Sword Striker Pack
65. HG Hi-Nu Gundam Influx
66. HG Turn A Gundam Effect Parts "Moonlight Butterfly"
67. HG Cathedral Gundam
68. MG Gundam TR-1 [Hazel Custom]
69. HG G-Defenser & Flying Armor
70. MG Qubeley Damned
71. RG Zeta Gundam (Bio Sensor Image Colors)
72. MG Mega Bazooka Launcher
73. HG Johnny Ridden's Gelgoog
74. MG RX-78-2 Gundam Ver. 2.0 Realtype Colors
75. HG EWAC Jegan
76. MG Gundam TR-1 [Advanced Hazel]
77. HG Re-Zel (Defenser b-Unit)
78. MG V2 Gundam Ver. Ka Assault Buster Expansion Parts
79. MG Unicorn Gundam 02 Banshee Norn (Final Battle Ver.)
80. HG Crossbone Gundam X3
81. MG Musha Gundam Mk-II Tokugawa Ieyasu Ver.
82. MG Unicorn Gundam 02 Banshee Norn
83. MG Mass Production Hyaku Shiki Custom
84. RG Strike Rouge + HG IWSP
85. HG Ground Type Gundam (Parachute Pack)
86. HG Rebawoo
87. RG Gundam Mk-II RG Limited Color Ver.
88. RG Destiny Gundam Effects Parts "Wings of Light"
89. HG Turn A Gundam Shin
90. HG Gundam TR-6 [Hazel II]
91. MG Gundam Amazing Exia
92. MG Unicorn Gundam 03 Phenex (NT Ver.)
93. MG Dwadge
94. BB Senshi LegendBB Victory Daishogun
95. MG Gundam Exia Repair II
96. MG Unicorn Gundam 02 Banshee Ver. Ka Final Battle (Novel Ver.)
97. HG Gundam M91
98. MG GM Command (Space Type)
99. MG Garma Zabi Zaku II
100. Weiss Sinanju

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Started on my RG Eva 01 and it's a nice fun build. I'm surprised that it's slightly smaller than the Kotobukiya version, for some reason I was expecting them to be roughly the same size.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I think I should just cancel my order from HLJ of the RG Eva 01 and try to get it from somewhere stateside at this point.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I got insanely lucky and managed to snag a pre-built heavyarms custom for like $90 Canadian, but now sellers are trying to sell it for $200+ which is just crazy.

I'd love an mg tallgeese III reprint. It's the last I need for the complete Endless waltz set.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Veotax posted:

If you can't wait for the 40th anniversary granddaddy Gundam, it's absolutely ridiculous so I recommend the Red Frame Kai because swords.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Have they shown anything else about the new RX-78? Since it supposed to be a culmination of everything so far I'd like to know what aspect of the Unicorn they're gonna use.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Captain Invictus posted:

There's a P-Bandai Deathscythe variant that went up for pre-order recently. It's currently listed as sold out, but for these sites they typically do waves of preorders, so might be worth keeping an eye on to see if a new wave opens: https://p-bandai.com/us/item/N2505894001002

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
For me, between shipping and local sales taxes, p-bandai's US service is just straight up more expensive than ordering p-bandai through a proxy.

It sucks and I wish they were still doing it through bluefin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
This is more likely to be useful here than in the Gundam thread: Bandai has a poll up to decide which Gunpla will be featured in the Re:Rise spinoff webisodes.

https://en.gundam.info/about-gundam/series-pages/builddivers_rerise/battlogue/