Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Over Easy posted:

this thread is doing pretty good, ~55 pages a day, nice

A post for every american covid death that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

i am harry posted:

ugh, every night people in my neighborhood start howling at 8pm. I am not using any of those neighborhood community social things so I have absolutely no idea what the gently caress but I expect it’s some dumb American thing about keeping suburban spirits high as a way to participate in the “fight” against covid

It's a Swedish thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_rttgtyigc

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

it is important, respectful work

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

A cspam thread but for every time someone from the USA dies you have to post faster.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

somebody said that nebulized hydrogen peroxide works against this? This works. I am cured. Nobody wants anyone to know. I don't have much time before the feds try to shut me down once and fo

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
More than 20k avoidable death and 17m lost jobs sours the public on a president? Who could have predicted this?

https://mobile.twitter.com/NumbersMuncher/status/1249069704171282432

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

If its true it kills 99% of bacteria and viruses then why wouldnt drinking this detergent with it as an active ingredient work. it work?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

true story weed helped with my breathing, i think lol. Like, i was definitely sick with something at first, but after whatever that was went away, i was still having shortness of breath likely due to allergies/asthma, and weed fixed it

never dont do weed (disclaimer: smoking the weed might make some peoples breathing worse, but apparently for some people with mild asthma it can still help, myself included)

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

how do i make hydrogen peroxide at home

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

cum + ammonia

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

it's just fancy water how hard could it be

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

yea, just put more oxygen in water. Bing bong simple

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

Mix bleach and ammonia in a big vat in the center of your house.

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
the rel answer isnt much better its sulfuric acid and high voltage

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Charlz Guybon posted:

More than 20k avoidable death and 17m lost jobs sours the public on a president? Who could have predicted this?

https://mobile.twitter.com/NumbersMuncher/status/1249069704171282432

I dunno everyone here would say his approval rating wouldn't tank until a few million deaths :p

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Google Butt posted:

cum + ammonia

What a waste of cum. And now of all times, when it's needed the most

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Google Butt posted:

cum + ammonia

cummonia

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
I don't know what I just stumbled upon. No idea on source or anything and don't want to be associated with sharing false information but felt compelled to share this

https://twitter.com/TurkeyDeeply/status/1248744292610433024

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

mycomancy posted:

Mix bleach and ammonia in a big vat in the center of your house.
Please do not actually do this. In case you are unaware this produces a deadly gas.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

lol love how grapes to wrath 2.0 is somehow stupider and crueler than the original

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SardonicTyrant posted:

Please do not actually do this. In case you are unaware this produces a deadly gas.

yup it produces chlorine gas

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

That's the wormhole

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

facetoucher cat posted:

I don't know what I just stumbled upon. No idea on source or anything and don't want to be associated with sharing false information but felt compelled to share this

You stumbled on some propaganda twitter account that posted a video of a fight. Unless they're yelling "I want that piece of bread!" in Turkish I see no reason to believe they're actually fighting over a piece of bread

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Day 17 Quote

"Do me a favor?"

"I can tie you up."

"Patting me down for weapons?"

<She giggles>

"I might bring a shiv into the room for this guy."

"He's trying to run his own show. He's been here for weeks and weeks and he goes down in the eighties and it's failed, and he needs to go down on a nonrebreather and-"

"It's why I'm taking it not the interns. I know, I know, I know."

"And he's insisting on-"

"And he's pigheaded and wants to run the show and Rush loving Limbaugh told him we have some miracle drug and he already had five days of it."

"Doctor ___ spoke to him already and-"

"She came in and chewed me out in the room."

"She walked in there and-"

"Yeah, I'm going to go in there and say we've not having a conversation about the Plaquenil and already how we've tried this thing-"

"He's talked to Dr ___ and he screamed at her."

"Tell me I look pretty in yellow?"

<Crosstalk that all approved of my fashion statement>

"Some fancy heels and you're ready for a night out on the town."

"You want some booties or a hair net?"

"No, look, I don't plan on licking my shoes or my hair, I'm fine."

<Giggles, door closes.>

"Mr ___, what are you doing with your mask off? You're scaring me."

"I just got off the phone with my wife, she-"

"Let's get that back on your face."

"I got a problem."

"I got a problem too. Imma get a chair. OK, what's going on?"

"Yesterday, I got up to the bathroom, six liters and I passed out."

"I know you're focused on the days where you were on the nasal cannula, but you've been a nonrebreather since March. Let's be very, very clear about that. If you walk around, especially without the oxygen, you'll pass out and hit your head. And we don't need you to hit your head in addition to everything else."

"I feel that I'm failing. Do I have- do I have the virus in me yet?"

"You've had the virus in you for three weeks."

"It's still in me?"

"Yeah."

"How can I-"

"It's not just the virus. Your body is fighting it off but the issue with COVID is your own immune system is attacking your lung cells. It's what we're afraid of."

<The sound of his nonrebreather is almost overwhelming>.

"I have requested many times, I'd like to try the-"

"We're not doing it. You've had this conversation with multiple people. This is directly from our infectious disease doctor, ok? This is above both of us. I started it back up last night for stupid reasons. I was going by your wife and your's decisions. Against pretty much all reason. To be very honest, it was a stupid reason to restart it."

"Also, sitting up? This isn't helping your situation at all. I've been doing this for 3 weeks. People who lie flat on their bellies? Their numbers look great. People who lie on their backs have numbers that look lovely."

"You're sitting here with your mask off and its nuts."

"Married 50 years and I talked to her and she's scared to death-"

"Yeah, she should be. I'm scared to death."

"Twenty days ago, I'm walking five miles a day."

"Yeah. Then you got sick."

"I can't even- I can't even stand up. I'm sick, I'm real sick.. I can feel, I can actually feel…"

I don't owe you anything. Finish the story however you want.

Day 18 “You’re trying to save the world and I’m trying to save you.”

Premeditated. That's the word I'm worried about.

75M w/PMH of CVA, nonverbal, bed bound, resident of a NH. Presented w/ fever of 103F, found to be COVID positive. He was doing well this morning, only on 2L via NC.

While responding to a different patient's Rapid, my intern is called off to assess this guy. By 14:00 he was satting in the 80s. Started on NRB. She orders a CXR and a ABG. I return from the Rapid (60F w/ alcoholic pancreatitis, COVID negative, hypoxic, watched her get tubed) and take a look at the patient. Junky lungs on auscultation. Agonal breathing. Clearly. Despite the NRB and sats in the upper 90s, the guy looks scary. Scary enough that I think he's going to crash in the next 10 minutes or so.

He's Full Code, of course. Before he had been transferred to our service, Palliative had already been consulted. After a few days of unsuccessfully trying to contact the patient's only living relative (his daughter), she signed off on the case. No Goals of Care meeting for this man.

I don't want to Code him. I don't want my nurses or I needlessly exposed to a droplet bomb of a resuscitation that I know for certain the ICU would never accept. He won't get tubed, and if he's not getting tubed he's dead. He's dead regardless of whatever we try.

"Full Code, COVID positive. Probably going to have to do chest compressions." "Yeah. Limit the people in the room. Five minutes on the clock." "Then we'll call it."

I didn't hesitate when I said that.

It wasn't a spur of the moment decision. I have thought over the previous Code and my decision then to limit it. And I'm repeating it.

God help me.

It doesn't sit right with me so I go to the medical director of the hospital (the very nice gentleman who got me a breakfast burrito, as you remember). I present the case.

"This is a big ethical dilemma." He exhales with the same exacerbation I feel. He offers the choices of treatment as usual (CPR / maybe intubation) or possibly two attending doctors attesting could sign off that CPR/intubation would be pointless. He tells me to see the CMO.

I go to the Chief Medical Officer. I repeat the story. He's a good man, a pediatrician by trade. Used to do our 8AM peds didactics. He's on the ethics board. He chews over the ethics of the case for a while.

As much as the conversation about end of life was enlightening, I'll spare you the filibustering.

The CMO meets up with my team (gently caress, I never meant for this to escalate like this). He again filibusters the ethics of the case. Ultimately, he chooses to write a note as an Ethics Consultation advising that if two physicians are in agreement, a DNI/DNR order can independently be made.

After he leaves, my attending: "Once you make someone DNR yourself it's a civil case, but it can be a criminal case against you."

We all agree that he has no chance of surviving the Code, and even if he magically made it to a vent he'd die from respiratory failure. Or the kidney failure. Or maybe heart failure.

The other attending, my program's inpatient director for the hospital and "Physician of the Year" also balks at signing the form. Because he's not involved in the case, you see.

My attending says he'll talk to the ICU attending to maybe get a signature.

"Don't call it a soft code. Never say the words 'soft code.' But…"

I won't write the rest of what he said because I respect the man too much.

I am fighting uphill to do the right thing. Or what I think is the right thing. I don't know anymore.

Before I leave for the night, I text my attending asking if he signed the DNI/DNR. He replies "No. It’s a tough decision."

As I'm walking out I tell the nurse handing off this patient to the night shift that he is still full Code. She's incredulous. She had put out that bright pink MOLST form right in front of the attending to make sure it was signed two hours ago.

"Why didn't he sign it?"

"Because he's a moral coward."

I come home, watch Westworld, call up my best friend and weep.

Not the pretty tears of a Hollywood doctor overcome with their episode's brush with mortality who goes on to eloquently explain their sorrow.

No. It was ugly, wordless, choking crying.

Not for anything in particular. I couldn't say why today was the day I broke a little. Maybe a lot.

The only words I remember saying are "They all keep dying."

Day 19 The Story of Me

The absolute arrogance of you.

You thought you knew this thing. This loving monster. And yeah, you caught and exposed one case. You could probably catch every case from 100 yards out at this point from just basic labs and an O2 sat even without a COVID test.

But you had no clue early on that this was EVERYWHERE. That this would spread so quickly and would overwhelm the census this thoroughly. The ED was right to start testing everyone who entered the doors and it wound up protecting you and your team.

And you denigrated them for ordering those tests. Day 4, it's there in black and white. And now your census is 100% COVID even if they came in for a fall. You wrote that on the same day as you proclaimed your mastery of this plague. Idiot.

You can manage the cases on the floor and order all the meds that whatever today's recommended shotgun approach to management has advised. You can know each and every single COVID patient's SpO2 and if they're NC or NRB by heart and it doesn't matter.

The monster causes DVTs even in patients on blood thinners. How many people did you admit that were placed on SCDs instead of heparin or Lovenox because their clotting score was essentially nil? How many people on Lovenox still threw clots? How many did you discharge home two weeks ago without a 30 day prescription for Lovenox? How many of them are going to die?

And the sudden deaths. You didn't notice a pattern in all those Code Blues? How pretty much all of them were PEAs? You coded a guy on the loving floor because he dropped dead walking to the bathroom. How many did you send home are going to drop dead from that?

You advocated for a man to not receive CPR or be tubed like everyone else. What do you possibly think gives you the right? All you did was piss off your attending. Nothing changed. The patient will still end up getting Coded.

Every other doctor in the hospital is ok with pointless interventions, so why aren't you?

You're not doing well. And you want to forego one or two weeks of scheduled vacation to go volunteer for more of this suffering?

Your mentor got sick, and you could be sick. You already suspect you're an asymptomatic carrier like every other Resident.

Why stick with this?

But don't forget the good parts.

Don't forget going to an impromptu party you just had next door with your fellow residents.

Don't forget drinking Coronas and laughing with your friends.

Don't forget commiserating with them over this catastrophe.

Don't forget being open and honest with your interns and knowing they don't think you're an rear end in a top hat.

Maybe you're doing a good job.

You can't get that Starfleet Medical tattoo on your left deltoid in Brooklyn right now like you wanted, but you will eventually. And getting a permanent reminder of those three red lines of split skin on your left 5th digit knuckle from washing your hands constantly would be a nice memento of this shitshow.

The eyebrow gash you got from that botched piggyback ride last night is pretty funny though.

Hugs and kisses,

You

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

MadJackal posted:

Day 17 Quote

"Do me a favor?"

"I can tie you up."

<She giggles>

"He's trying to run his own show. He's been here for weeks and weeks and he goes down in the eighties and it's failed, and he needs to go down on a nonrebreather and-"

"And he's insisting on-"

"And he's pigheaded and wants to run the show and Rush loving Limbaugh told him we have some miracle drug and he already had five days of it."

"Yeah, I'm going to go in there and say we've not having a conversation about the Plaquenil and already how we've tried this thing-"

<Giggles, door closes.>

"I got a problem."

"I know you're focused on the days where you were on the nasal cannula, but you've been a nonrebreather since March. Let's be very, very clear about that. If you walk around, especially without the oxygen, you'll pass out and hit your head. And we don't need you to hit your head in addition to everything else."

"It's still in me?"

"Yeah."

"How can I-"

"It's not just the virus. Your body is fighting it off but the issue with COVID is your own immune system is attacking your lung cells. It's what we're afraid of."

"We're not doing it. You've had this conversation with multiple people. This is directly from our infectious disease doctor, ok? This is above both of us. I started it back up last night for stupid reasons. I was going by your wife and your's decisions. Against pretty much all reason. To be very honest, it was a stupid reason to restart it."

"Also, sitting up? This isn't helping your situation at all. I've been doing this for 3 weeks. People who lie flat on their bellies? Their numbers look great. People who lie on their backs have numbers that look lovely."

"I can't even- I can't even stand up. I'm sick, I'm real sick.. I can feel, I can actually feel…"

75M w/PMH of CVA, nonverbal, bed bound, resident of a NH. Presented w/ fever of 103F, found to be COVID positive. He was doing well this morning, only on 2L via NC.

While responding to a different patient's Rapid, my intern is called off to assess this guy. By 14:00 he was satting in the 80s. Started on NRB. She orders a CXR and a ABG. I return from the Rapid (60F w/ alcoholic pancreatitis, COVID negative, hypoxic, watched her get tubed) and take a look at the patient. Junky lungs on auscultation. Agonal breathing. Clearly. Despite the NRB and sats in the upper 90s, the guy looks scary. Scary enough that I think he's going to crash in the next 10 minutes or so.

He's Full Code, of course. Before he had been transferred to our service, Palliative had already been consulted. After a few days of unsuccessfully trying to contact the patient's only living relative (his daughter), she signed off on the case. No Goals of Care meeting for this man.

I don't want to Code him. I don't want my nurses or I needlessly exposed to a droplet bomb of a resuscitation that I know for certain the ICU would never accept. He won't get tubed, and if he's not getting tubed he's dead. He's dead regardless of whatever we try.

"Full Code, COVID positive. Probably going to have to do chest compressions." "Yeah. Limit the people in the room. Five minutes on the clock." "Then we'll call it."

It wasn't a spur of the moment decision. I have thought over the previous Code and my decision then to limit it. And I'm repeating it.

God help me.

It doesn't sit right with me so I go to the medical director of the hospital (the very nice gentleman who got me a breakfast burrito, as you remember). I present the case.

"This is a big ethical dilemma." He exhales with the same exacerbation I feel. He offers the choices of treatment as usual (CPR / maybe intubation) or possibly two attending doctors attesting could sign off that CPR/intubation would be pointless. He tells me to see the CMO.

I go to the Chief Medical Officer. I repeat the story. He's a good man, a pediatrician by trade. Used to do our 8AM peds didactics. He's on the ethics board. He chews over the ethics of the case for a while.

As much as the conversation about end of life was enlightening, I'll spare you the filibustering.

The CMO meets up with my team (gently caress, I never meant for this to escalate like this). He again filibusters the ethics of the case. Ultimately, he chooses to write a note as an Ethics Consultation advising that if two physicians are in agreement, a DNI/DNR order can independently be made.

After he leaves, my attending: "Once you make someone DNR yourself it's a civil case, but it can be a criminal case against you."

We all agree that he has no chance of surviving the Code, and even if he magically made it to a vent he'd die from respiratory failure. Or the kidney failure. Or maybe heart failure.

The other attending, my program's inpatient director for the hospital and "Physician of the Year" also balks at signing the form. Because he's not involved in the case, you see.

I am fighting uphill to do the right thing. Or what I think is the right thing. I don't know anymore.

Before I leave for the night, I text my attending asking if he signed the DNI/DNR. He replies "No. It’s a tough decision."

As I'm walking out I tell the nurse handing off this patient to the night shift that he is still full Code. She's incredulous. She had put out that bright pink MOLST form right in front of the attending to make sure it was signed two hours ago.

"Why didn't he sign it?"

Not the pretty tears of a Hollywood doctor overcome with their episode's brush with mortality who goes on to eloquently explain their sorrow.

Not for anything in particular. I couldn't say why today was the day I broke a little. Maybe a lot.

Day 19 The Story of Me

You thought you knew this thing. This loving monster. And yeah, you caught and exposed one case. You could probably catch every case from 100 yards out at this point from just basic labs and an O2 sat even without a COVID test.

But you had no clue early on that this was EVERYWHERE. That this would spread so quickly and would overwhelm the census this thoroughly. The ED was right to start testing everyone who entered the doors and it wound up protecting you and your team.

And you denigrated them for ordering those tests. Day 4, it's there in black and white. And now your census is 100% COVID even if they came in for a fall. You wrote that on the same day as you proclaimed your mastery of this plague. Idiot.

You can manage the cases on the floor and order all the meds that whatever today's recommended shotgun approach to management has advised. You can know each and every single COVID patient's SpO2 and if they're NC or NRB by heart and it doesn't matter.

The monster causes DVTs even in patients on blood thinners. How many people did you admit that were placed on SCDs instead of heparin or Lovenox because their clotting score was essentially nil? How many people on Lovenox still threw clots? How many did you discharge home two weeks ago without a 30 day prescription for Lovenox? How many of them are going to die?

And the sudden deaths. You didn't notice a pattern in all those Code Blues? How pretty much all of them were PEAs? You coded a guy on the loving floor because he dropped dead walking to the bathroom. How many did you send home are going to drop dead from that?

You advocated for a man to not receive CPR or be tubed like everyone else. What do you possibly think gives you the right? All you did was piss off your attending. Nothing changed. The patient will still end up getting Coded.

Every other doctor in the hospital is ok with pointless interventions, so why aren't you?

You're not doing well. And you want to forego one or two weeks of scheduled vacation to go volunteer for more of this suffering?

Your mentor got sick, and you could be sick. You already suspect you're an asymptomatic carrier like every other Resident.

Why stick with this?

Don't forget going to an impromptu party you just had next door with your fellow residents.

Don't forget being open and honest with your interns and knowing they don't think you're an rear end in a top hat.

You can't get that Starfleet Medical tattoo on your left deltoid in Brooklyn right now like you wanted, but you will eventually. And getting a permanent reminder of those three red lines of split skin on your left 5th digit knuckle from washing your hands constantly would be a nice memento of this shitshow.

The eyebrow gash you got from that botched piggyback ride last night is pretty funny though.

Hugs and kisses,

You

did u say a medium fry or a small

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

etalian posted:

yup it produces chlorine gas

Is this bad?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

SardonicTyrant posted:

much like your posts!

CPA Hell
Apr 15, 2007

I like to press the number six!

Mrs. Dash posted:

I live in Knoxville TN and I once overheard two old white dudes at the gym referring to Asheville as a "socialist hellhole." Can you confirm??

Jymmybob posted:

It's a hippie city surrounded by hillfolk. It makes for a weird dynamic especially when you factor in the upstate SC bunch which are much more typical southerners.

I would agree. it’s definitley more left leaning than most of the south east. but a lot of it feels performative if that makes sense. I haven’t lived there, just visited a lot. so maybe just ignore everything I’m saying here. upstate SC is being overrun by suburbanite transplants from the rest of the country who want be happy until every green space and Highway is the same as the humanity clogged nightmares they are fleeing in other parts of the country.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Gripweed posted:

You stumbled on some propaganda twitter account that posted a video of a fight. Unless they're yelling "I want that piece of bread!" in Turkish I see no reason to believe they're actually fighting over a piece of bread

On that thread there was some people with facemasks in a line too, I wasn't sure if there was a fire that would necessitate that in the area. It would explain the video. Thanks!

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

much like your posts!
How did you know my farts were getting worse?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

MadJackal posted:

Day 17 Quote

"Do me a favor?"

"I can tie you up."

<She giggles>

"And he's insisting on-"

<Giggles, door closes.>

"I got a problem."

"It's still in me?"

"Yeah."

"How can I-"

God help me.

"Why didn't he sign it?"

Day 19 The Story of Me

Why stick with this?

Hugs and kisses,

You

drat all this guy talks about is the loving coronavirus!!!!!

(you're a good guy madjackal thank you for your work)

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/1249099262211719176

https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/1249100806843854848

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
https://twitter.com/wyatt_privilege/status/1248979679903723521?s=20

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
to think, even docs are learning to code in this economy

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

:cry:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Master of Puppets is the best Metallica album :colbert:

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

reported for bill mitchell. see y ou on the other side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

CPA Hell posted:

it’s definitley more left leaning than most of the south east. but a lot of it feels performative if that makes sense. I haven’t lived there, just visited a lot. so maybe just ignore everything I’m saying here. upstate SC is being overrun by suburbanite transplants from the rest of the country

:agreed: