Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Zero VGS posted:

People aren't allowed to post satire on a comedy forum? Or has Trump made satire impossible.

edit: he ninja'ed in the second line

pee pee doo doo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Bape Culture posted:

I’m amazed how well the US is doing so far for deaths. I think per capita it must be one of the lowest.

(data from https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/)

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Barudak posted:

A cruise ship company recruiter reached out to me today and Im genuinely loving curious as to why they dont have deep hiring freezes

Gotta replace all their workers who have died of the roni

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Lol India.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
We seem slightly ill-prepared for an extinction level event but this is good practice.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Based on the text, I'd expect N95s to be as bad if not worse; they note that it tends to persist longer on smoother surfaces. But what's particularly surprising is that the virus was detectable on the outer layer of a surgical mask longer than any other tested surface, including metal. That seems counterintuitive. Maybe it's a simple matter of viral particle density remaining higher on surfaces that are less porous

But there is an important note in the text:

quote:

The inoculated objects retrieved at desired time-points were immediately soaked with 200 μL of virus transport medium for 30 mins to elute the virus. Therefore, this recovery of virus does not necessarily reflect the potential to pick up the virus from casual contact.

Other neat tidbits:

Choice of disinfectant doesn't really matter, but if you use something as simple as soapy water you need to soak for longer than 5 minutes.

The virus doesn't care about pH (3 to 10)

The virus freezes well but can be easily baked off (undetectable after 5 minutes at 70 C, e.g. 160 F)

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

It reads as "India won't answer the phone so we assume 0 corvid here" ?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

So is it deadlier for white people, or are we just reporting more data ?

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Chinatown posted:

I think people need to understand that, no hyperbole whatsoever, 2020 is fully cancelled. All of it. You think the county fair is going to happen? Parades and packed beaches on teh 4th of July? lmao. I don' expect to travel for loving Thanksgiving. Especially since a bunch of my my extended family are fully Koolaid drinking MAGA chuds.

The local county fair here is STILL "waiting on government guidance", as if it wouldn't be an unmitigated disaster to hold an event where 1.5 million people all share and touch the same poo poo for a month. A dozen or so people got infected and a toddler died last year from en e coli outbreak there.

But did they get it from rear end eating ??

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

unpacked robinhood posted:

What does your heart tell you

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Deadlier for white people, the Chinese were pretty careful to include this feature in their bioweapon

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Derpies posted:

But did they get it from rear end eating ??

*takes glasses off slowly*

Yes. God help us all.

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

We might be reporting slightly more accurate data in Europe but it's still way out. Also someone posted some statistics a while back showing that in the US, non white ethnicities were absolutely way harder hit. Can't possibly think why

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

It reads as "India won't answer the phone so we assume 0 corvid here" ?

He's everywhere.

Can someone Photoshop a 19 on this guy for me?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Watched The Platform on Netflix last night and I didn't sleep well because of it.

Like you only have to go to your local grocery store to experience it yourself.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Apr 12, 2020

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Natalie Fartman posted:

We might be reporting slightly more accurate data in Europe but it's still way out. Also someone posted some statistics a while back showing that in the US, non white ethnicities were absolutely way harder hit. Can't possibly think why

Uk minorities are being hit much harder but as in the US it's most likely for socioeconomic reasons, no suggestion of genetic susceptibility being different

Reasons included: more minorities working in low status "essential" jobs, higher proportion living in the hardest hit region (london), multigenerational households being more common, reliance on community centres and places of worship, higher incidence of preexisting conditions like diabetes, communication issues which would normally be mitigated by allowing a second generation family member to come along to translate, and so on

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52255863

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Fatkraken posted:

Uk minorities are being hit much harder but as in the US it's most likely for socioeconomic reasons, no suggestion of genetic susceptibility being different

Reasons included: more minorities working in low status "essential" jobs, higher proportion living in the hardest hit region (london), multigenerational households being more common, reliance on community centres and places of worship, higher incidence of preexisting conditions like diabetes, communication issues which would normally be mitigated by allowing a second generation family member to come along to translate, and so on

and poor compliance with social distancing rules.

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

Fatkraken posted:

gently caress, man.

My area has a ton of eastern European migrants who come here to do farm work. I wonder how they are getting on. Essential low wage jobs are absolutely a driving force in a higher rate of infection.

Piss Meridian posted:

and poor compliance with social distancing rules.

Social distancing in the way that is needed while having to work in some of the low wage 'essential' jobs, or living in large households is next to impossible. I think a lot of people would LIKE to be social distancing but can't.

Natalie Fartman fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Apr 12, 2020

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Natalie Fartman posted:

gently caress, man.

My area has a ton of eastern European migrants who come here to do farm work. I wonder how they are getting on. Essential low wage jobs are absolutely a driving force in a higher rate of infection.

Social distancing in the way that is needed while having to work in some of the low wage 'essential' jobs, or living in large households is next to impossible. I think a lot of people would LIKE to be social distancing but can't.

I mean there are social issues with New Zealand around social distancing (especially around funerals). I understand and sympathize, but it's also a little worrying

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

Watched The Platform on Netflix last night and I didn't sleep well because of it.

Like you only have to go to your local grocery store to experience it yourself.

Movie rules, it’s like a Cube sequel (but good)

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

Jeep posted:

gently caress yeah, imma watch that

Funk In Shoe
Apr 20, 2008

Waiting in line, Mr. Haydon told me it is a wheel not meant for lovers but for infants, lifting people and letting them swing, putting the world on display from up high

Jeep posted:

its real good.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

A cruise ship company recruiter reached out to me today and Im genuinely loving curious as to why they dont have deep hiring freezes

run! they are trying to steal your trump bux!

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

No, no, no loving no. I have post-nasal...no, you are not loving going to put that up my nose. I will remain sheltered in home.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Several people in this thread have experienced CoViD.

Did anyone get headaches, and if so, when did they start?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Platystemon posted:

About the same time you start seeing the rectal blood and elbow-lactation.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Platystemon posted:

My S/O had it and had headaches and ocular pain a few days in.

The ocular pain was the worst though like wearing sunglasses in the house bad.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Blaise330 posted:

I wonder, how would the world handle a virus with a 100% death rate

The Stand is about basically this.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The Stand is about basically this.

off to vegas it is!

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Wafflecopper posted:

A lot of covid deaths in at least New York and probably elsewhere are recorded as pneumonia or other respiratory causes due to a lack of tests

In this article where a NYC ambulance driver talks about dealing with covid he picks up 12 dead people in one day, most likely all covid victims, and zero of them are recorded as such. And that's just one ambulance crew in one day.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52196815?fbclid=IwAR3BATG6GnTqx4e6D4esLgdi7oKQRBsvw1TRxKyrVlMIi4I86ENe1lqbfQw

Sure there are probably loads of non-fatal cases also going untested and unreported but all the same I don't think we can really read too much in to official figures right now, if neither cases nor deaths are being reported accurately

Are the monthly total death tolls recorded and public in New York? General mortality rates of the last two months of March could probably shed light on how much the covid related increase has been comparing the same month in 2019 and now 2020.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

You may want to have a look at the victim demographics in the US.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

There's a street in the block to the south called Castrato Court.

e: Maybe it's one of those places sex offenders are forced to live?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Any fellow pollen sufferers itt who clean their noses with those special squirt bottles ? I'm doing this when it gets bad and it feels like it helps a little.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Xaintrailles posted:

There's a street in the block to the south called Castrato Court.

Court?

More like cul de sac.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Any fellow pollen sufferers itt who clean their noses with those special squirt bottles ? I'm doing this when it gets bad and it feels like it helps a little.

Use sterilised water unless you want brain-eating amœbas.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Platystemon posted:

I got absolutely awful headaches but they started about 12 hours after the cough and the temperature. Lost my smell and taste about 4 days in

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Platystemon posted:

Court?

More like cul de sac.

Hah

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1249309232358400006

I grew up watching The Goodies, Tim was a massive part of my childhood. :smith:

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
who?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I guess if you're not Australian or British you've probably never heard of him, he was a British TV comedian back in the late 70s/early 80s
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Goodies