Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

DTurtle posted:

Milk (3,5%): 64 kcal/100 ml
Milk (1,5%): 46 kcal/100ml
Cola: 48 kcal/100 ml

Might as well drink Coke, its at least just as healthy.

I honestly can't tell if you're serious or not.

I assume you're not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DTurtle posted:

I'm sure you're trolling with this, but just in case: The kcal in milk come from the fat inside, the kcal in Cola come directly from sugar. Slurping too much Cola will destroy your kidneys eventually. The diabetes it will cause isn't very cool, either.

On another note, Cola Light has 0,2 kcal/100 ml and tastes better*. I suggest drinking that instead.

*After multiple years of drinking that stuff. Normal Cola will taste hilariously bad after not drinking it for a couple years, so beware you can't go back to Sugar Coma, oops my bad I meant to say Sugar Cola.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Libluini posted:

The kcal in milk come from the fat inside, the kcal in Cola come directly from sugar

Milk has more sugar than fat!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

elbkaida posted:

Milk has more sugar than fat!

and fat has more calories than sugar

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Libluini posted:

I'm sure you're trolling with this, but just in case: The kcal in milk come from the fat inside, the kcal in Cola come directly from sugar. Slurping too much Cola will destroy your kidneys eventually. The diabetes it will cause isn't very cool, either.

On another note, Cola Light has 0,2 kcal/100 ml and tastes better*. I suggest drinking that instead.

*After multiple years of drinking that stuff. Normal Cola will taste hilariously bad after not drinking it for a couple years, so beware you can't go back to Sugar Coma, oops my bad I meant to say Sugar Cola.
It was meant half-seriously. Coke is obviously not healthy, but milk has about half as much sugar as coke does.

However, I grew up being told drinking lots of milk was super healthy and good, much better than anything else. And that is simply false:

"The Incidental Economist posted:

Before going any further, let’s acknowledge where there is consensus. Human infants, like all mammals, depend on milk for sustenance at the beginning of life. Breastfeeding (human milk) is almost always recommended, as well as baby formula until 1 year of age if breastfeeding is not feasible. Most experts also think that children should continue to be breastfed or transition to whole cow’s milk until they’re 2. The fat is believed to aid in brain development.

It’s at that point that things get tricky.

There’s very little high-quality evidence, and no comparable mammalian example, to argue for the specialness of cow’s milk after this period. Arguments that it’s good for you because it has protein and other vitamins and minerals could be made about many, many other foods (but those foods don’t receive such official recommendations of support).
The bottom line, as I’ve written before, is that every beverage other than water and breast milk might be treated the way alcohol is for adults — you can have it if you want it, but don’t be under the illusion that you need it.
I use milk for Müsli, coffee and obviously for cooking/baking. I drink mostly water (and beer).

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
By the way, is there any kinda good vegan yoghurt? I really like to use almigurt for my muesli.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
I like Alpro Soja Joghurts, but they’re sometimes quite sweet. Luve Lupinenjoghurt is also a good idea but it’s unfortunately way too sweet.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DTurtle posted:

I use milk for Müsli, coffee and obviously for cooking/baking. I drink mostly water (and beer).

I'm terrible. Not only do I sometimes drink a cup of cold milk to an afternoon's chocolate, I also sometimes fill up this huge Bierkrug I have with milk to make cocoa.

Around 2011 I was also drinking tons of soda (not the diet) kind, which nearly brought my Zuckerspiegel down until I learned to live without. Nowadays I'm drinking mostly diet soda and water, sometimes spiced up with fruit juice and milk. Diversity!

The only thing I couldn't shake is my coffein addiction. Mostly because it's sometimes super-hard to find the special super diet cola without both coffein and sugar. It's maddening! Not as maddening as the headaches every time I find the special stuff and get hit with Entzugserscheinungen, but close.

I'm fairly sure the day I start drinking coffee will be the day my heart just explodes

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

cant cook creole bream posted:

By the way, is there any kinda good vegan yoghurt? I really like to use almigurt for my muesli.

Seconding the Alpro stuff, they also have a skyr variety. The unflavored stuff tastes like rear end/tofu though. I like the mango and strawberry ones.

The beyond meat sausages are awesome by the way. Big fat sausages and the texture is similar to a grobe Bratwurst. Also the Rügenwälder vegan chicken nuggets are better than real chicken, it’s disconcerting if you stop to think about it.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

DTurtle posted:

Oatly Dark Blue/Regular 57 kcal/ 46 kcal per 100ml
Alpro Soy Drink normal/sugar free 39 kcal/34 kcal per 100 ml
Alnatura Haferdrink ungesüßt 39 kcal per 100 ml

It doesn't matter what you put in your coffee/tea or just drink plain. As with all food and drink, it is the amounts you consume that are crucial.
And then there is the fact that coke and sodas contain phosphoric acid and other additives plus the the differences in the types of sugar...

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Going vegetarian is as easy as it can be nowadays with all the ridiculously good meat replacements. And then once you're over the meat cravings just dont cook anything that needs (fake) meat and you will even save a lot of money!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
True, once you expand your horizon beyond what classical vegetarian is in German ("just leave ze meat away, ze vegetarians can eat ze veggies ") and discover Asian food, you are golden.

Personally I like meat, but I also enjoy a good tofu curry for example. Wouldn't want to miss either.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Just got home from the social distancing grocery store experience with three packs of frozen chicken bits, what's up?

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Double-posting because I randomly came across these regulations from back home and now I'm confused at how nostalgic I am for German legalese. Was my brain always this broken or did living abroad bring this out?

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Libluini posted:

The only thing I couldn't shake is my coffein addiction. Mostly because it's sometimes super-hard to find the special super diet cola without both coffein and sugar. It's maddening! Not as maddening as the headaches every time I find the special stuff and get hit with Entzugserscheinungen, but close.

I'm fairly sure the day I start drinking coffee will be the day my heart just explodes
At work I usually drink four or more large Becher of coffee. And during the weekend I drink no coffee at all. I don‘t feel any difference at all. I‘m not sure if thats normal or not. :shrug:

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I haven't drunk cow milk in maybe 6 years due to lactose issues, but every time I smell it now, it smells seriously gross. I eat far less meat now than I used to and it's a similar story.. whenever I have more than a little my body feels gross and heavy and disgusting. You see a lot of people talking about missing that authentic flavour but normal milk smells incredibly unappealing to me now, you can definitely smell it's not from plants

And I used to drink a lot of milk, even into my twenties, and meat too

Also, most people know to ignore oliwan, but try to remember that Berlin is a big city, it's international and the capital, of course it's going to attract a lot of losers. That doesn't mean they represent it, and it's a bit disingenuous to take such obvious obnoxious annoying hipster bait and then pretend that he is the only person living in Berlin that you've ever heard of

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Apr 12, 2020

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DTurtle posted:

At work I usually drink four or more large Becher of coffee. And during the weekend I drink no coffee at all. I don‘t feel any difference at all. I‘m not sure if thats normal or not. :shrug:

One of my colleagues mentioned Cola was supposed to only have tiny amounts of caffeine in it, so I got curious and thanks to Google, found several comparison tables for coffee and cola.

According to those tables made by really boring people, it depends on what beans are used in your coffee, and what type it is. On average, a 1,5l bottle of diet cola contains the caffeine of three average cups of coffee. But this can deviate wildly, as some weird bean types can make your coffee have three times or more of the amount of caffeine in your average coffee, but also less than a third.

Consequently this means if you suddenly change what coffee you want to drink, you may get either cold turkey, or Herzrasen, or nothing at all changes. Coffee: The Russian Roulette for people averse to guns

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Caffeine and I don't get along very well. Coffee is usually just too much for me, so it's pretty rare that I'll drink it. I usually do two cups of black tea a day (with a dash of lemon juice thrown in), which is about my caffeine limit. And if I have a cup after about 4pm, it's a guarantee that I'll have trouble going to sleep ~6 hours later.

Black tea still has a decent amount of caffeine in it, but only about half of what a normal cup of coffee would. I keep meaning to switch over to green tea though, but... eh.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

I went vegetarian for shis and giggles last year or so and I'm still going.
It's not really hard, and for adults a good thing.

Vegan I don't know. Vegansociety.com essentially says: You gotta take supps. You are free not to, but everyone who tried ended up sick.

so gently caress that

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

lolling at the comments ranting about the ~unangebrachte Wortwahl~ :decorum:

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.
Protip: beim Fachhändler eures Vertrauens (oder Misstrauens, falls Amazon) gibt es Koffein auch in Kapseln. Ich mag die von "Mach dich wach", nach Bedarf nehme ich ab und an mal eine. Dazu Wasser, Wasser und gleich nochmal Wasser hinterher.

Wer das zu fade findet, mag sich vielleicht auch für Schoka-Kola begeistern. Ich mag die zartbittere Variante, aber ist eher was zur Stärkung beim Wandern - fürs Büro ist das zuviel Zucker zum Koffein.

Zur Cola an sich kann ich nur sagen, kauft euch guten Stoff wie Fentimans oder Jarritos, da bremst euch der Kostenfaktor von ganz allein.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Haramstufe Rot posted:

I went vegetarian for shis and giggles last year or so and I'm still going.
It's not really hard, and for adults a good thing.

Vegan I don't know. Vegansociety.com essentially says: You gotta take supps. You are free not to, but everyone who tried ended up sick.

so gently caress that

This is not true op, let me quote the NHS:

quote:

Do vegetarians and vegans need vitamin supplements?

With good planning and an understanding of what makes up a healthy, balanced vegetarian and vegan diet, you can get all the nutrients your body needs to be healthy without the need for supplements.

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/vegetarian-and-vegan-diets-q-and-a/

I became a vegetarian about 20 years ago, and vegan for the last seven years, and I've never taken supplements. Never had any issues.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
You take drugs all the time to feel again

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
diary entry, 7th year 39th day: taking drugs to feel meat again...

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

oliwan posted:

This is not true op, let me quote the NHS:

I became a vegetarian about 20 years ago, and vegan for the last seven years, and I've never taken supplements. Never had any issues.

How do you know, op? Did you ever had blood tests done to confirm it? For example, most people in northern Europe have a vitamin D deficiency but experience only light symptoms and have gotten used to them so they don't even experience it as an impairment. You might feel so much better after eating a steak, op.

Gatac posted:

Protip: beim Fachhändler eures Vertrauens (oder Misstrauens, falls Amazon) gibt es Koffein auch in Kapseln. Ich mag die von "Mach dich wach", nach Bedarf nehme ich ab und an mal eine. Dazu Wasser, Wasser und gleich nochmal Wasser hinterher.

Wer das zu fade findet, mag sich vielleicht auch für Schoka-Kola begeistern. Ich mag die zartbittere Variante, aber ist eher was zur Stärkung beim Wandern - fürs Büro ist das zuviel Zucker zum Koffein.

Zur Cola an sich kann ich nur sagen, kauft euch guten Stoff wie Fentimans oder Jarritos, da bremst euch der Kostenfaktor von ganz allein.

Another good tip is to just eat Tafel of Schokolade every time you crave for caffeine. It has roughly the same amount of it as an espresso but with the added bonus that you feel violently I'll after eating only 4 or 5 of them so it's kinda self regulating.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I went Einkaufen yesterday, and Desinfektionsmittel was in stock again.

Congrats, everyone, Corona is over.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I went Einkaufen yesterday, and Desinfektionsmittel was in stock again.

Congrats, everyone, Corona is over.

Going a bit far just because you get to finally disinfect your hands imo.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

GABA ghoul posted:

Another good tip is to just eat Tafel of Schokolade every time you crave for caffeine. It has roughly the same amount of it as an espresso but with the added bonus that you feel violently I'll after eating only 4 or 5 of them so it's kinda self regulating.

Yeah, I also feel violently ill if I only get to eat 4 or five bars of chocolate.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
how in the hell do you regularly eat more than one bar of chocolate at once :barf:

to be honest I get terrible munchies when smoking weed, so I have eaten like 2 bars of milka back in the day when smoking, but I felt guilty and unbelievably gross afterwards

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I love how Oliwan, who takes tons of drugs and thinks that's good, is criticizing other people's habits. Maybe people just eat chocolate to get high on the Theobromin inside, huh??? Ever thought of that, Drugoliwan???

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

oliwan posted:

how in the hell do you regularly eat more than one bar of chocolate at once :barf:

Same. I never eat more than one bar of chocolate.

*laughs in Toblerone*

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Libluini posted:

I love how Oliwan, who takes tons of drugs and thinks that's good, is criticizing other people's habits. Maybe people just eat chocolate to get high on the Theobromin inside, huh??? Ever thought of that, Drugoliwan???

I'm not criticising anyone op, where are you getting that from?? I'm wondering how you can eat so much chocolate without feeling gross and nauseatious, but gently caress if I care how much chocolate you eat

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Randler posted:

Same. I never eat more than one bar of chocolate.

*laughs in Toblerone*

This makes sense, as Toblerone is obviously not chocolate

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

oliwan posted:

I'm not criticising anyone op, where are you getting that from?? I'm wondering how you can eat so much chocolate without feeling gross and nauseatious, but gently caress if I care how much chocolate you eat

:thejoke:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

oliwan posted:

Joking aside, I think the reason why you can't eat much chocolate may really be your drug consumption. If you take too many drugs your body probably doesn't even notice the tiny amount of drugs entering your body via chocolate, so you get a lot less out of it than normal people.

As an aside isn't it amazing how, regardless of how crazy you sound and how many ????????????????????????????? you use, there is still a certain type of person around who thinks you're serious.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Libluini posted:

Joking aside, I think the reason why you can't eat much chocolate may really be your drug consumption. If you take too many drugs your body probably doesn't even notice the tiny amount of drugs entering your body via chocolate, so you get a lot less out of it than normal people.

As an aside isn't it amazing how, regardless of how crazy you sound and how many ????????????????????????????? you use, there is still a certain type of person around who thinks you're serious.

To be honest I've never felt any kind of buzz from chocolate, and neither has anyone that I know... I don't take the "drug" effects of chocolate seriously and if someone is feeling a buzz I think that is 99% marketing and placebo effect. Research has show that the compounds that would get you "high" in chocolate are present in far too small amounts to have real effect. Having said that, it can still make you happy of course, because:

science.howstuffworks.com/life/inside-the-mind/emotions/chocolate-high3.htm posted:

Even if the compounds found in chocolate may be too minute for some of us to get a chocolate happy high, the beloved food can still affect our happiness.

Also, I love using ???????????????????

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Hopper posted:

True, once you expand your horizon beyond what classical vegetarian is in German ("just leave ze meat away, ze vegetarians can eat ze veggies ") and discover Asian food, you are golden.

Personally I like meat, but I also enjoy a good tofu curry for example. Wouldn't want to miss either.

I've got a cookbook called "Deutschland Vegetarisch" and it's full of hearty veggie stews and soups, not simply meat-based dishes with the meat removed.

We do eat and enjoy meat, but we've introduced meatless days which sometimes turn into meatless weeks. Or we'll make something like Linsen mit Spätzle with just a small amount of really good bacon and very good sausages, going for the quality over quantity approach.

That's not to say we limit ourselves to German/Danish cooking, though. Unfortunately I have high cholesterol, so full-fat coconut milk curries are generally out or a rare treat, along with most meat from 4-legged animals, also making sausages a "sometimes food". The good side of it is that it is forcing us to rethink our cooking habits, making us go for olive oil instead of butter and thinking beyond cheese and sausage for putting on bread.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

oliwan posted:

To be honest I've never felt any kind of buzz from chocolate, and neither has anyone that I know... I don't take the "drug" effects of chocolate seriously and if someone is feeling a buzz I think that is 99% marketing and placebo effect. Research has show that the compounds that would get you "high" in chocolate are present in far too small amounts to have real effect. Having said that, it can still make you happy of course, because:

Also, I love using ???????????????????

So, you actually agree? Try taking less drugs, then eat chocolate and try to feel the difference, man!

I'm pretty sure the drugs you're taking are only like, making you feel different because of marketing by your drug lords. Research has shown that dumbasses always think they're high

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
btw friends, I'm happy to see that so many posters are interested in cruelty free lifestyles :)

If you are looking for some good reading on this topic during these times I can recommend Peter Singer's classic Animal Liberation, if you haven't already read it.

Anything By Peter Singer is very good really, check out his massive body of work on (bio)ethics if you feel so inclined.

And more recently there's Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer of course, which is a more approachable read than Singer's more philosophical work, but therefore all the more poignant.

Aaaaaaand, I hate to say this but... Cowspiracy is actually good and on Netflix.

edit: gently caress I forgot the include the greatest source:

Propagandhi - Nailing Descartes To The Wall / (Liquid) Meat Is Still Murder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nVoi735qv8

Propagandhi loving rock and it was this CD that made me become a vegetarion when it came out in the 90s :3

oliwan fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 12, 2020