Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Brownie posted:

I'm really struggling to decide what to play next on my index now that I've beaten Half Life Alyx and Superhot VR. I really loved Alyx, but don't want to go back to it right away. I'll probably wait until I can upgrade my CPU because I still had lots of performance issues with a RTX 2070S.

Considering the gun play and exploration were my favourite parts of Alyx, I guess Saints & Sinners is probably my best bet? The posts above seem to indicate that it's pretty great, the only reason I'm apprehensive at all is because I find Walking Dead's aesthetic pretty tiresome at this point.

I'm also interested in Boneworks, but considering that I couldn't play Alyx with smooth locomotion without getting nauseous, I think I'll probably wait a little while longer on that one.

Is H3VR good now? It's really hard to get a read on whether it's actually a game yet or just a shooting range/make your own fun kind of thing.

I have zero interest in Walking Dead as a franchise and find zombies a bit tiresome and I still really enjoyed S&S. Smooth loco might be a problem though, the game forces use of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Saint and Sinners is great cause the interaction really helps immerse you in the world. Hearing zombie moans while you're in a dark house, the lighting only coming from your flashlight, opening drawers and cabinets by hand for a can of beans is intense.

Especially when you are say walking down a stairwell and learn that oh hey zombies can open doors and the door busts open and 2 zombies rush you and jesus loving christ holy gently caress :tviv:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jack Trades posted:

What the gently caress?!
One More Time is like, one of the best songs.

No its really not. His maps have always been over rated and a large chunk of them are actual garbage but nobody else mapped anything better so "they are the best".

Freeek really got his strive in the dark era of mapping. Before tools got good. So his average to below average maps were king poo poo for a while. I mean its the same deal with benny maps. They didn't age well at all and you can see some serious glaring issues with them now a days. Tho, Benny maps were never really baaad.

Understand I'm not saying you can't have fun with a bad map. I actually LOVE bad maps with weird hard seemingly impossible note combos. This has nothing to do with the fun side of poo poo. But like, no. Typically his maps are, eh, not the best. I realized how over rated some mappers really are once I got decent at the game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

EbolaIvory posted:

No its really not. His maps have always been over rated and a large chunk of them are actual garbage but nobody else mapped anything better so "they are the best".

Freeek really got his strive in the dark era of mapping. Before tools got good. So his average to below average maps were king poo poo for a while. I mean its the same deal with benny maps. They didn't age well at all and you can see some serious glaring issues with them now a days. Tho, Benny maps were never really baaad.

Understand I'm not saying you can't have fun with a bad map. I actually LOVE bad maps with weird hard seemingly impossible note combos. This has nothing to do with the fun side of poo poo. But like, no. Typically his maps are, eh, not the best. I realized how over rated some mappers really are once I got decent at the game.

:thunk:
If One More Time is poo poo according to you then I'd really like to know what you consider to be a good map.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jack Trades posted:

:thunk:
If One More Time is poo poo according to you then I'd really like to know what you consider to be a good map.

Depends on what your goal is.

Wanna dance around?

https://beatsaver.com/beatmap/276a

https://beatsaver.com/beatmap/1ff9

Both older maps. Not too high of a njs, proper mapping without DDs or anything stupid. 100% FAIR maps.

Actually, fire up anything* Ruckus and it will be 100% fair and proper mapping.

*To be clear, I mean actual songs. Even his meme poo poo is decent but its meme poo poo on purpose.

Skyler Wallace also is one of my fav mappers atm. He actually gives a poo poo about timing, flow, movement, etc. I'd stick to his newer stuff IMO. If you're into Rise Against, hes actually doing a few of those right now for someone. Yay.

the new Doom map touge commissioned is insane.

https://beatsaver.com/beatmap/943e

What kind of player are you? How far on the grind are you? Whats your "highest PP map" you can clear with ease? Theres great maps across the board depending how sweaty you are.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I collected 2350 peepees and my best song is 120pp. I stopped the PP grind because I couldn't find any more ranked maps that weren't inane anime poo poo or memes.
And wow, I got incredibly varied opinions on those 3 songs.

This one's fun, I had it saved in my favorites since before.

This one's alright. Pretty decent but also fairly boring.

This one seriously feels like one of those randomly generated pattrens from like, Audiosurf or something, and it's also perfectly punctuated by the worst color override choice I've ever seen.

For the sake of fairness I'm gonna drop off some of my favorite tracks that I play for fun. Highest difficulty where applicable.
https://beatsaver.com/beatmap/5afc
https://beatsaver.com/beatmap/43e1
https://beatsaver.com/beatmap/c1d
One More Time by Freek, the one you trashed earlier, is one I play a lot for fun too, it has really fun patterns and I especially love the way he uses walls in that track,

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 12, 2020

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jack Trades posted:

I collected 2350 peepees and my best song is 120pp. I stopped the PP grind because I couldn't find any more ranked maps that weren't inane anime poo poo or memes.
And wow, I got incredibly varied opinions on those 3 songs.

This one's fun, I had it saved in my favorites since before.

This one's alright. Pretty decent but also fairly boring.

This one seriously feels like one of those randomly generated pattrens from like, Audiosurf or something, and it's also perfectly punctuated by the worst color override choice I've ever seen.

For the sake of fairness I'm gonna drop off some of my favorite tracks that I play for fun. Highest difficulty where applicable.
https://beatsaver.com/beatmap/5afc
https://beatsaver.com/beatmap/43e1
https://beatsaver.com/beatmap/c1d
One More Time by Freek, the one you trashed earlier, is one I play a lot for fun too, it has really fun patterns and I especially love the way he uses walls in that track,

You linked funky beat twice. So no idea which one felt like random notes. :(

Every map I linked, is 100% fair and has no weird random notes. I think its mostly just your skill level at this point then. No big deal, but yeah. I wouldn't link a map that didn't have 100% fair notes without explicitly saying "Hey this exists". With that said, gently caress color overrides and I have all that poo poo disabled.

When I talk about being "fair" understand I mean that you can expect the next note to go with the last note you hit. So if your right hand goes down, keep it there, the next block will be hit from the down position. Good mappers, tend to subscribe to that rule. Very rarely is there a double down, unless its after a bomb reset or something.

That awfulnaught map, good times. Hes a great mapper, That ones aged pretty ok. Note jump could be sped up tho in 2020.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Keeping Beat Saber modded on the Quest through every update is a big pain in the rear end.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Keeping Beat Saber modded on the Quest through every update is a big pain in the rear end.

PC is fun too.

Reinstall game entirely
Run game to menu
Close game
Run mod assist
Install mods
Run game to menu
Close game
Move configs back over with any left over plugins that havent been updated
Run game to menu
Cross fingers.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

EbolaIvory posted:

the new Doom map touge commissioned is insane.

https://beatsaver.com/beatmap/943e

code:
I'm too young to die - 482 notes (2.41 NPS)
Hurt me plenty - 603 notes (3.02 NPS)
Ultra-Violence - 713 notes (3.57 NPS)
360 (Mapping Extensions)
Nightmare - 713 notes (3.57 NPS) ~6k rotations
Cute.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

EbolaIvory posted:

Yeah, that sounds like wine taster type of bullshit.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

EbolaIvory posted:

You linked funky beat twice. So no idea which one felt like random notes. :(

Every map I linked, is 100% fair and has no weird random notes. I think its mostly just your skill level at this point then. No big deal, but yeah. I wouldn't link a map that didn't have 100% fair notes without explicitly saying "Hey this exists". With that said, gently caress color overrides and I have all that poo poo disabled.

When I talk about being "fair" understand I mean that you can expect the next note to go with the last note you hit. So if your right hand goes down, keep it there, the next block will be hit from the down position. Good mappers, tend to subscribe to that rule. Very rarely is there a double down, unless its after a bomb reset or something.

I fixed my post. It's the DOOM one that felt like it was randomly generated. By which I mean that all the patters didn't seem like they had anything to do with the song and also were all totally uninspired.
It has good flow, yeah, there were no unfair notes, but it somehow managed to be boring and annoying at the same time.

Also I really don't understand how you can put so much stock into the "fairness" as you put it and at the same time say you liked the Fitbeat track. I thought it had pretty bad flow. :shrug:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, that sounds like wine taster type of bullshit.

Its called being better at the game and seeing how poo poo older stuff really is. I've also said bad mapping can still be FUN, but the fact is older poo poo did not age well and lots of things that we 100% frown on now are present in a TON of those maps.

Fun does not = Well Mapped.

Turin Turambar posted:

code:
I'm too young to die - 482 notes (2.41 NPS)
Hurt me plenty - 603 notes (3.02 NPS)
Ultra-Violence - 713 notes (3.57 NPS)
360 (Mapping Extensions)
Nightmare - 713 notes (3.57 NPS) ~6k rotations
Cute.

The 360 map is the one to play. Its not actually 360, its just walls and stuff and had to be in 360 to make it look good.

Jack Trades posted:

I fixed my post. It's the DOOM one that felt like it was randomly generated. By which I mean that all the patters didn't seem like they had anything to do with the song and also were all totally uninspired.
It has good flow, yeah, there were no unfair notes, but it somehow managed to be boring and annoying at the same time.

Also I really don't understand how you can put so much stock into the "fairness" as you put it and at the same time say you liked the Fitbeat track. I thought it had pretty bad flow. :shrug:

It did exactly what it was intending to do. Force you to squat, and do "fitness" movements. Notes were fair, it made you move to some extent, and it wasn't a marathon of a map. Its one of the rare times an OST map made sense tbh.

as far as the doom map. You played the 360 right?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Comparisons between S&S and Boneworks can be interesting. S&S does some similar stuff but 'cheats' to do it. For example in both can grab or push enemies, and I noticed in S&S you also can gran the big weapons from different points. But in S&S the grabbing zombie animations is totally canned, you can't grab it in a different way even if you try it, and there are only 3 'grab' points in the two handed weapons, so there are only two possible variation to use a baseball bat, unlike in Boneworks where there is more physical freedom of interaction.
Still, if by cheating there is less jank and at least offer some extra ways to interact in VR, it's all good. Videogame development are all about how to cheat in good ways.

I also find curious how melee combat in VR is choosing to put inertia-based weapon systems (S&S, Boneworks, B&S). At first people said that maintaining 1:1 relation with the real world controller was paramount in VR, so it's interesting how in the end people seem to not care if the position of the weapon lags behind the real world counterpart, the feeling in-game that you get is more important. If you get the feel right, the player will even tend to 'roleplay' and do slow, firm slashes with a 2-hand axe, for example.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Oh poo poo, after four months, the 'battery as counter-weight' I was using with my Quest lost the adhesive force. This is, it was using a velcro strip with an adhesive side, and while the velcro itself held perfectly, the adhesive part started to come off 4 days ago from one side, and today finally dropped. At least it occurred while I was using it sitting, not standing. I will have to use another method.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

7 hours into alyx. still pretty lukewarm on it

is stormlands any good?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Communist Thoughts posted:

is stormlands any good?

Best action gameplay on VR, IMO.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

7 hours into alyx. still pretty lukewarm on it

is stormlands any good?

Stormlands has some the most fun, super fast locomotion I've played, assuming that sort of thing doesn't get you sick. I thought the combat was the weakest part. I do love the ripping weapons apart to gain ammo mechanic, though!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

AINT NOTHIN LIKE A FUNKY BEAT!

both games had such excellent soundtracks

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

How's Zero Calibur VR?

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I was going to get a WMR headset since everything else is way too expensive.

I was going to get the Dell Visor unless there’s a better pick around the same price range. Any recommendations?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd8NJZVRlSM

This workout app/game seems like a cross between Beat Saber and OnShape. But perhaps what I read today was the most striking 'feature' it has...

quote:

Supernatural is a subscription service that offers new workouts published daily. At launch, Supernatural will offer members a discounted introductory rate of $20 USD/month and include a free trial.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Turin Turambar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd8NJZVRlSM

This workout app/game seems like a cross between Beat Saber and OnShape. But perhaps what I read today was the most striking 'feature' it has...

Yeeaaaahhhhh

I'm just not sure who its market is. BoxVR has a ton of the same features workout wise (trainers making them, etc, updates, new stuff regularly, bla bla), plus its only a one time purchase with 1 9.99 dlc in the last year, with all the other updates and new workouts being free. Is the graphic upgrade and bootleg looking combo of Viro Move + Audio Trip triangles really worth 20 bucks a month?

I'll def post about it soon as I get access but my hopes are not very high for the cost. I know a few people involved and I will say its probably a good workout, and its probably really decent content wise. The issue is gonna be that monthly cost. It just don't make sense at that price point. :-\

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Apr 13, 2020

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Does anyone have a link for a beatsaber clone so I don't have to endlessly gently caress with modding the actual real game Some format compatible open source non-warez thing please

At one point someone published a web vr clone

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Cards are not cards when it comes to VR for sure

punished milkman posted:

it's true, but something like a 1070 which came out 4 years ago can still run just about anything you throw at it. admittedly it was an expensive card in 2016 and is still probably expensive

Bad Munki posted:

As a 1070-haver, yeah. I’m not running at ultra settings with 200% SS @140hz but I do just fine, no complaints.

Yeah the last GPU I bought (second, ever?) was a 460 GTX which was old even in 2010 when I bought it

If I'm gonna buy a GPU for laptop VR in a eGPU enclosure, seems wise to buy high and eat the eGPU performance % loss and plug it into the XPS 15 for the Quest. I just don't have the space for a full desktop thing anymore, sadly. The wife allowed a NAS, she'll allow an eGPU

I live in a tiny urban apartment and my wife only lets me buy 2 fancy electronic toys a year any more. I could probably swallow the cost of the 3080 but that seems excessive and there are other hobbies to feed

3070 seems adequately speedy to do VR stuff for the next 3-4 years, at least until the Quest native library fills out

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Apr 13, 2020

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Hadlock posted:

Does anyone have a link for a beatsaber clone so I don't have to endlessly gently caress with modding the actual real game Some format compatible open source non-warez thing please

You can just trick steam into thinking you updated and only update every few months when mods actually update. Its what I've been doing.

Set saber to only update on launch
Rename beat saber folder on update day
launch beat saber
itll download a new copy
rename that poo poo to "base ost beat saber" or osmething
Rename your old folder back to beat saber
congrats, steam wont bug you until another update happens.

And unless they force another scoresaber update or some poo poo, you should be fine with leaderboards, downloads in game, etc.

Also custom songs are native, So uh, if thats all you care about, welp a clone aint gonna be any better.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Hadlock posted:

At one point someone published a web vr clone

While they don't host it any more the source all still seems to be available here, so if you can host it yourself you should be able to run it in a suitable VR browser.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I just want fun. Robo Recall or Stormlands?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Penpal posted:

I just want fun. Robo Recall or Stormlands?

Robo Recall is good but Stormland is just among the best and has a bunch of content.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Might give into peer pressure and sell my O+ to a guy on Craigslist and get the Quest. I like my O+ in most ways except constantly adjusting it on my head to stay in the sweet spot where things are in focus and look good. It's just not built for my head shape.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So anyhow, did Beat Saber update the Unity release they're running on? I noticed my CPU frame times have been halved.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

So anyhow, did Beat Saber update the Unity release they're running on? I noticed my CPU frame times have been halved.

No idea. From all the games I could do, I wasn't going to check cpu frametimes in Beat Saber...

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I keep an eye on that via fpsVR, with what regularly having framerate issues with that game (well, any Unity game for that matter), due to various crap I do. For instance a few months ago, enabling full telemetry on Windows 10 trashed performance in Beat Saber. And enabling it happened implicitly while trying out an Insider build. Haven't played for a few weeks, now they're almost half of what they used to be when it performed OK.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Combat Pretzel posted:

Reinstall the game. Me and a few others have noticed the games running way better actually. Like micro stutters and stuff are just "gone" now.

EDIT: OH OH OH OH OH OH

Theres some bug umm check your in game settings n stuff, I guess AA or SS or something in game is getting flipped on and up for some people? I swear that just came up somewhere.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 13, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

EbolaIvory posted:

Reinstall the game. Me and a few others have noticed the games running way better actually. Like micro stutters and stuff are just "gone" now.

EDIT: OH OH OH OH OH OH

Theres some bug umm check your in game settings n stuff, I guess AA or SS or something in game is getting flipped on and up for some people? I swear that just came up somewhere.

He says frametimes have halved, NOT fps halved. That's good, it means the game is faster now.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Turin Turambar posted:

He says frametimes have halved, NOT fps halved. That's good, it means the game is faster now.

oh hell i read that wrong. go me. XD

BUG DOES EXIST THO! :D

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

More Walking Dead S&S talk:

Voice acting is pretty good, some of the best I've seen in a VR game. The radio guy shows a good range of emotions, first paranoia, after a glimmer of hope, vulnerability, trust. A sidequest surprised me, I allied myself with the wild group against the tower, killing the hostage, and later learnt the truth of what had happened with him. drat maybe I shouldn't have killed him.... At first the main plot seemed pretty basic, almost a commentary in player motivation in videogames : just go get the big pile of loot. LOL. But they frame it correctly, how it was emergency equipment prepared to help after the a Hurrican/flood that they knew it was coming, but it was left unused when the zombie apocalypse started.

But perhaps the biggest lesson today is: drat, this is pretty uncompromising. I don't want to say this is the Dark Souls of VR gaming (it isn't) but...

The game is drat dark, you really need your small flashlight inside the houses, and even then it won't provide that much light. I had some nasty 'surprises' because of that. Groups of zombies bigger than 2-3 are scary. What do you do to kill them? If you use firearms, you can attract more. You can kill them with a decent melee weapon but killing 3 in a row will cost you max stamina. I was in a situation where after killing several, I saw more and just sprinted away... error, because as my stamina was low after the killing, the sprint depleted it totally so that made it decrease the max even more :( (And with the bell system you want to run to gain time, but you can't lo). Another zombies saw me, I killed it in panic, and it broke my weapon, in the time I got a new one from my backpack something bit me, goodbye health. l. Right now I'm in a situation where my max health is at 60% and I already used up the only medicine I had. I still can't craft it, and it won't recover by the passage of days. I have to play careful until I get enough upgrades in the bench to craft medicine, but each upgrade cost more and more.

Now add to that how you can't be save and how there is no difficulty selection in the game, it's take it or leave it.

Edit: oh yeah another thing,they went too far with the weight/inertia of weapons. It's almost like the equivalent of devs putting too many sunflares or too many colored lights in the 90s, because it was the novelty.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 14, 2020

marumaru
May 20, 2013

it's a great game but by far the one thing i dislike the most is that it's scary as gently caress and i'm a coward

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Something broke in my brain and now I don't feel fear in VR its weird. When I first tried it out ages ago just putting the headset on scared me

I haven't tested it with like resident evil or alien though

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Something broke in my brain and now I don't feel fear in VR its weird. When I first tried it out ages ago just putting the headset on scared me

not being a huge pussy irl probably helps, i wouldn't know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Give Five nights at freddys a go. :)