Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I haven't played this game since it was released on PC, but I've gotten into it again on the Nintendo Switch. A lot of stuff has changed and for the better (as far as I can tell).

I've a question about Legendaries — in D2 I used to love to collect Rare items, because they often had really weird effects and cool artwork. But none of the Legendaries I've found so far (three Leoric's Crown in one game lol) haven't had any fun or unique effects. Like nothing that sets them apart from yellows.

I'm just lvl 30-something though. Are high-level Legendaries more fun? I miss that handcrafted feeling that the D2 and D1 items had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

anatomi posted:

I haven't played this game since it was released on PC, but I've gotten into it again on the Nintendo Switch. A lot of stuff has changed and for the better (as far as I can tell).

I've a question about Legendaries — in D2 I used to love to collect Rare items, because they often had really weird effects and cool artwork. But none of the Legendaries I've found so far (three Leoric's Crown in one game lol) haven't had any fun or unique effects. Like nothing that sets them apart from yellows.

I'm just lvl 30-something though. Are high-level Legendaries more fun? I miss that handcrafted feeling that the D2 and D1 items had.

Yes Diablo III has hundreds of legendary items with extremely bizarre and cool effects

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
anyone else make sure every tile is settled in that "reach the final platform" bounty? I don't know what compels me

edit: this one

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

anatomi posted:

Good news for you, those legendaries without effects are actually exceptions to the rule, there is a vanishingly small number of legendaries without effects left. They're mostly relegated to crafted items and giving lower level players a nice big and simple boost in damage output. Every patch Blizzard tries to modernize a few more of them. A few more levels and practically every legendary drop you come across will have effects on them.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

tetsuo posted:

anyone else make sure every tile is settled in that "reach the final platform" bounty? I don't know what compels me

edit: this one

Every time.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
First time round, I was also disappointed with only seeing crowns, stinky pants, and quivers and bows with no legendary effects.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Pants that make you fart are the funniest magic item in any video game ever, and the fact that they found homes in some real builds makes D3 the best game ever

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 10, 2020

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Bust Rodd posted:

Yes Diablo III has hundreds of legendary items with extremely bizarre and cool effects

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Good news for you, those legendaries without effects are actually exceptions to the rule, there is a vanishingly small number of legendaries without effects left. They're mostly relegated to crafted items and giving lower level players a nice big and simple boost in damage output. Every patch Blizzard tries to modernize a few more of them. A few more levels and practically every legendary drop you come across will have effects on them.

Aight, sounds good! I'll keep it at with my squishy Necromancer.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
So, I've been testing out a phalanx crusader build, more because I want to see if I can make it functional than anything. It's pretty solid up to T10 at least, possibly further. It'll never be optimal, but it's pretty funny to watch. I kinda wish there was a set for it, the damage multipliers just aren't there for the end game.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

Lemony posted:

So, I've been testing out a phalanx crusader build, more because I want to see if I can make it functional than anything. It's pretty solid up to T10 at least, possibly further. It'll never be optimal, but it's pretty funny to watch. I kinda wish there was a set for it, the damage multipliers just aren't there for the end game.

If you go LoD gem you can probably get it up to t16. I remember building the LoN version with bowmen in HC, and it was able to do T11 probably 10 seasons ago.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The image of ghostly archers mowing down demons as though it were a medieval mini-gun is so cool

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Bit of an odd question here, but does using a Gem of Ease in Kanai's cube to change the level requirement of an item to level 1 affect the item in any other way, such as restricting what else can be done with it in terms of augments, enchanting, socketing, etc?

I suspect not, just curious since if it doesn't, I'll use on on all of my primal gear, because why not.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Nope, it's otherwise the same.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
50 souls for a legendary reroll is loving ludicrous.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
I'm sure if you wanted this game on console you'd have it already; but PSA that it's on sale for $20 in Playstation Network. I'm done with the season already - but I'm still dumb enough to buy this just to play with a controller.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
whoever built this weeks challenge build needs tried at the hague

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I've had much worse. Finished in one try with less than 1s to spare. Died like 5 times.It wasn't terrible except for being a glass cannon.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I managed to get this on my first try with about 30s to spare. If you can move past the first level with all the exploding monsters and lacuni stalkers that cut through you like paper it's not so bad. Harder than usual though.

People who bind their movement skill to left-click... why. Just why.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Apr 14, 2020

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Getting back into Diablo, I was a casual player and now I'm looking into builds. I wanna try Frenzy Barb and I have a questions. Should I be doing this in a season? I guess it's stupid not to? I stopped before we really had seasons.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

There's basically no reason NOT to do seasons as you can get powerleveled to 70 in minutes and you get a free starter set for completing all the season journey objectives. It's also overwhelmingly where the most active players tend to be and you get to play around with the seasonal gimmick (which doesn't really affect Frenzy Barb but w/e).

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah I don't think people play outside of seasons anymore.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Ok. I see this seasons reward for a DH is the set I need to try the rapid fire build. The only problem is I didn't really wanna start with DH. I see its not a limited set or anything and I can just earn it in game or I can still play my Barb and let her open up the packages to get the set right? Is it a huge grind/RNG to get the set?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

RBX posted:

Ok. I see this seasons reward for a DH is the set I need to try the rapid fire build. The only problem is I didn't really wanna start with DH. I see its not a limited set or anything and I can just earn it in game or I can still play my Barb and let her open up the packages to get the set right? Is it a huge grind/RNG to get the set?

It would probably be faster honestly to go for DH, get the speed farming DH build going, then use your speed farmer DH to help you get mats to get your Barb going.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Nice, just what I needed to know. thanks!

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

paid money to post posted:

I'm sure if you wanted this game on console you'd have it already; but PSA that it's on sale for $20 in Playstation Network. I'm done with the season already - but I'm still dumb enough to buy this just to play with a controller.

Totally worth it, though it might make it hard for you to ever go back to playing D3 with a keyboard/mouse.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I have my rainbow wings on PC and I just can't play knowing I'd have to do that grind again. So kb+m forever.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

It would probably be faster honestly to go for DH, get the speed farming DH build going, then use your speed farmer DH to help you get mats to get your Barb going.

WW barb is so insanely fast and meta that you probably gear the legacy of dreams rapid fire faster than if you just started with DH first. IK is super easy to play with as well, east set dungeon.

But yeah, can't go wrong! Unless you pick necro and collect their freebie set.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
Next season will have the new necro and DH sets. I think I'm going necro next season, for the lazymancer and whatever the new set is. I hope it's based on something other than LotD dependence.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think Necro in general needs some rebalancing to not make them so dependent on LotD. It's almost inescapable no matter what build you're using, and unlike other class steroids, it's total feast or famine. All their other sets besides Rathma could use some DR + damage boosts as well.

For DH I think they'll try to do something with traps. The item support is almost all there, it just lacks the insane damage multipliers from having a dedicated class set.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
How many ancient items should you have before trying a LoN/LoD build? It is taking ages to get ancients, let alone good rolls on them...

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Trap play style would be awful unless they change them to sentries like Marauder, which defeats the purpose of it being a new set. It's way too slow for the state of the game IMO. I've not played the LoN variant of rapid fire (big grain of salt here, but gently caress gearing up LoN builds)but they could make a set for that possibly and somehow change it a bit to make it neat.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I'm personally hoping for a dedicated Strafe set because I love spinning in all its forms.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mind over Matter posted:

I'm personally hoping for a dedicated Strafe set because I love spinning in all its forms.

I think that would be unlikely because LoN rapid fire is already a channeling build

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Hasn't DH consistently underperformed on the leaderboards, and according to Blizzard's own metrics? Might be a good opportunity for some changes.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Gonna combine Rapid Fire + Shadow Impale + Strafe: You spin in circles, making GBS threads out knives all over the screen, at stupid high speeds.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Rinkles posted:

Hasn't DH consistently underperformed on the leaderboards, and according to Blizzard's own metrics? Might be a good opportunity for some changes.

I do appreciate that they slapped the Dawn band-aid on all those years ago, but yeah. Would be nice to make it so 90% of DH builds aren't propped up by one item.

mewse posted:

I think that would be unlikely because LoN rapid fire is already a channeling build

I mean, hell if I know but is there some sort of limit on that? I'd be happy with a non-LoN rapid fire set too, for that matter. I just don't think a set for traps would be a great idea, myself.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
My bet is on a trap set for DH. It's the one ability that hasn't seen any use but actually has a fair amount of legendary support.

e: Oops beaten by Tea.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Does anyone want a trap set?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah wouldn’t a trap set almost by definition be slow and plodding? Area denial seems at odds with literally every other facet of gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Wouldn't be hard to make the traps like Hydra. Make it so each trap shoots electricity between each other and then those lines repeatedly explode for damage. Something like that.