Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

eonwe posted:

40 percent of ligma

:smug:

ligma what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

it's interesting how this is changing food supply chains, since most restaurants are either closed or takeout / delivery only. i went to the supermarket a few days ago, and they already have a bunch of sysco branded veggies and stuff

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

yesterday seemed like lower deaths across the board. is this it? is this the pivot?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

CODChimera posted:

yesterday seemed like lower deaths across the board. is this it? is this the pivot?

the pivot to tuesday being ludicrously higher than any day before? yes!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

CODChimera posted:

see you again next weekend

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

What about all those times I didn't poop my pants at work? :smug:

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Oh and I was trying to figure out why my previous hypthosis about BCG and IL-6 was wrong. I thought that BCG merely increases IL-6, but it turns out that BCG vaccination just opens a window to greater modulation of the IL-6 pathway, and that while it seems to increase latent IL-6 levels, in the presence of certain pathogens or related factors, it actually leads to a reduction in IL-6 levels

There is this paper discussing the impact of BCG and BCG variants on IL-6 and TNF-α in respiratory illness:

quote:

The BCGΔBCG1419c Vaccine Candidate Reduces Lung Pathology, IL-6, TNF-α, and IL-10 During Chronic TB Infection

Our results show that in infected mice, BCGΔBCG1419c significantly reduced lung lesions and IL-6 in comparison to the unmodified BCG strain, and was the only vaccine that decreased production of TNF-α and IL-10 compared to non-vaccinated mice, while vaccination with BCG or BCGΔBCG1419c significantly reduced IFN-γ production. Moreover, transcriptome profiling of BCGΔBCG1419c suggests that compared to BCG, it has decreased expression of genes involved in mycolic acids (MAs) metabolism, and antigenic chaperones, which might be involved in reduced pathology compared to BCG-vaccinated mice.

There is also this:

quote:

Purified protein derivative-induced tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF-α), IL-6, and IL-17A levels, however, were highest in lungs from BCG-vaccinated/IL-12-neutralized animals, and even unstimulated lung cells from these mice produced significant levels of the three cytokines.

This goes back to what I said earlier:

twoday posted:

I was reading an article in a regional Dutch newspaper about some recent discoveries made by local doctors regarding the role of bradykinin in the secondary and potentially lethal stage of COVID-19, the cytokine storm and resulting ARDS.

It took me a while but I think I now understand the underlying mechanism which would explain why BCG would have a protective effect in COVID-19 infections:

SARS-CoV-2 occupies ACE2 receptors. With endogenous ACE2 no longer able to bind to these receptors, the affect of ACE2 in modulating DABK/bradykinin receptor B1 (BKB1R) axis signaling is impaired. This then results in a release of proinflammatory chemokines such as C-X-C motif chemokine 5 (CXCL5), macrophage inflammatory protein-2 (MIP2), C-X-C motif chemokine 1 (KC), and TNF-α from airway epithelia, increased neutrophil infiltration, and exaggerated lung inflammation and injury. A reduction in pulmonary ACE2 activity contributes to the pathogenesis of lung inflammation, in part because of an impaired ability to inhibit DABK/BKB1R axis-mediated signaling, resulting in more prompt onset of neutrophil infiltration and more severe inflammation in the lung. Antiserum neutralizing endogenous TNF alpha abolishes the response to bradykinin, whereas antisera neutralizing endogenous IL-1 beta, IL-6 and IL-8 each partially inhibit the response. The combination of antisera neutralizing endogenous IL-1 beta+IL-8 or IL-6+IL-8 abolish the response to bradykinin. As BCG has been found to significantly increase the presence of both IL-6 and IL-8, their increased presence in tandem can then inhibit the response upon DABK/BKB1R axis-mediated signaling by brandykinin, and thus limit the lung inflammation and injury which would otherwise thus normally be mediated by ACE2. Thus the potential for the onset of ARDS is reduced, preventing death.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28935640/
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8298813/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2824844/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3294426/

So perhaps TNF-α is also important as well as IL-6 :shrug:

further reading:

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0229287
https://iai.asm.org/content/68/6/3322
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2824844/
https://academic.oup.com/jid/article/204/7/1075/811486
http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0074-02762015000600809
https://elifesciences.org/articles/47013

once again, not a doctor, this is all gibberish

twoday
May 4, 2005

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

54 is such an extremely specific number that ot should immediately tell you the numbers are getting juiced in some way. Its like when Ted Cruz said in the 2016 primary there hasn't been any noticable increase in temperatures for 19 years to disprove global warming and it was because El Nino was in 1997 and it was very unseasonably warm.

If its not divisible by 5 someones trying to trick you.

Gonna plug my bay area county's covid19 dashboard again. It has graphs for "Cases by Age Group" and "Deaths by Age Group." The age groups are simple 10 year brackets.

tldr: don't be over 70.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
At 11:51 Eastern Time Chattanooga just got rear end-blasted by a tornado and we have people piling into a YMCA.

I've never seen poo poo like this. The sky was glowing for 15 minutes and everything is just loving gone now.

Jesus gently caress I am so exhausted with this year. WTF is happening? Can I not have one sane loving day?

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

ligma what

I think it's a town in Ohio

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

So after being fired in the last week of March turned out to be lucky for me in Maryland because I got though to Unemployment filing on the phone (I wasn't applicable for online as I moved her last June). Managed to get my mail in and mailed out the forms as this poo poo cranked up. Only issue is I still need Wisconsin to talk to Maryland UI and update them on my last year income else I get a big fat ZERO on my incoming UI checks (If they do actually come in). I order to check on how this process was moving along I called back in to Maryland Unemployment at all hours of the day and instead of getting their automated menu I get the busy signal. I called in for fun 50 times in a row and never got the line to tip and ring. Shits hosed. But yesterday I got this fun piece of mail in that says I have an appointment to be called sometime on the 16th with the reason only written as "DISCHARGED". So hope either that works out for me which would be real cool. The only advantages I have over many other people is once I saw China take such wild actions in February I successfully predicted I should stock up my pantry with a fuckton of cheap canned goods given how if I was wrong I would be enjoying Soup and Chef Boyardee for the next year. So I got a good stock of food going for me.

Interesting thing to note about Maryland Unemployment is the requirements to stay on the program is once a week you file in their online Webcert saying you didn't work and were able as well as file online in a separate website minimum three job attempt contacts. Only problem is I have a great many friends in the safe cracking industry but they are all inside hiding as well as me so we have just been passing around company names for fun as something to file. How and why they have not waived the three job contacts during a lockdown yet is past me but I guess they haven't looked that far into our new reality. Without a car and the metro being shut down it's gonna be quite difficult for me as well as others like me to stomp around knocking on dark company doors looking for work so I have been treating it like the joke that it is.

At the beginning of this month things were looking really grim as my boss was withholding my last paycheck and my tax returns were not in yet so I had to depend on you goons for your great generosity to pay my phone bill and have fresh milk and eggs delivered so I can continue to cook without losing my mind to the canned monotony. Spending a deployment in Iraq as an infantryman I can tell you after two weeks of bland MRE food you start to get really fucky mentally when the stress is kept at a constant Shepard Tone. The only advice I can give you all is to develop a great gallows humor and totally stop giving a gently caress, play video games and read some books. Ill go out and start to unfuck myself when this poo poo calms down or I need to fight the police banging on my door.

To hell with everyone saying you should tell your landlord about your situation ahead of time. This cannot help you. There is no way a landlord will ever take that as a sign to help you instead of start the process to gently caress you. Just let it all happen and say fuckall nothing to them until it happens. With the eviction suspension orders in effect for most states this doesn't mean they are not going to start getting creative. I don't know how they will do it but it will be brutal bullshit like cutting water or power. Get ready for some real horror stories about these ghouls going full aggro on their tenants in this wild west time. I have told my neighbors I am a locksmith so if they start trying to change locks I can pop their doors open and replace them.

Good luck goons. Thanks for saving me this month.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/metalsucks/status/1249359716205166598

twoday
May 4, 2005

human society will never be the same again lmao

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

We should be doing the opposite. Look, you know how neighborhood moms get their kids together at chicken-pox shows that feature the heaviest metal bands in the world? We can learn a lesson from those kids by opening up the pit and building immunity the natural way.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/HelenKennedy/status/1249447766142705664

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

twoday posted:

That's overly optimistic.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Salt Fish posted:

We should be doing the opposite. Look, you know how neighborhood moms get their kids together at chicken-pox shows that feature the heaviest metal bands in the world? We can learn a lesson from those kids by opening up the pit and building immunity the natural way.

Dethklok could headline

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

how do people where there's no newspapers anymore find out hella people are dying, facebook? will zuck censor? :freep:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

twoday posted:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

https://twitter.com/Btcarney/status/1249449287727054849

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
lol libs thought chuds would change their mind after their friends/family die in a pandemic haha

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Drinkfist posted:

So after being fired in the last week of March turned out to be lucky for me in Maryland because I got though to Unemployment filing on the phone (I wasn't applicable for online as I moved her last June). Managed to get my mail in and mailed out the forms as this poo poo cranked up. Only issue is I still need Wisconsin to talk to Maryland UI and update them on my last year income else I get a big fat ZERO on my incoming UI checks (If they do actually come in). I order to check on how this process was moving along I called back in to Maryland Unemployment at all hours of the day and instead of getting their automated menu I get the busy signal. I called in for fun 50 times in a row and never got the line to tip and ring. Shits hosed. But yesterday I got this fun piece of mail in that says I have an appointment to be called sometime on the 16th with the reason only written as "DISCHARGED". So hope either that works out for me which would be real cool. The only advantages I have over many other people is once I saw China take such wild actions in February I successfully predicted I should stock up my pantry with a fuckton of cheap canned goods given how if I was wrong I would be enjoying Soup and Chef Boyardee for the next year. So I got a good stock of food going for me.

Interesting thing to note about Maryland Unemployment is the requirements to stay on the program is once a week you file in their online Webcert saying you didn't work and were able as well as file online in a separate website minimum three job attempt contacts. Only problem is I have a great many friends in the safe cracking industry but they are all inside hiding as well as me so we have just been passing around company names for fun as something to file. How and why they have not waived the three job contacts during a lockdown yet is past me but I guess they haven't looked that far into our new reality. Without a car and the metro being shut down it's gonna be quite difficult for me as well as others like me to stomp around knocking on dark company doors looking for work so I have been treating it like the joke that it is.

At the beginning of this month things were looking really grim as my boss was withholding my last paycheck and my tax returns were not in yet so I had to depend on you goons for your great generosity to pay my phone bill and have fresh milk and eggs delivered so I can continue to cook without losing my mind to the canned monotony. Spending a deployment in Iraq as an infantryman I can tell you after two weeks of bland MRE food you start to get really fucky mentally when the stress is kept at a constant Shepard Tone. The only advice I can give you all is to develop a great gallows humor and totally stop giving a gently caress, play video games and read some books. Ill go out and start to unfuck myself when this poo poo calms down or I need to fight the police banging on my door.

To hell with everyone saying you should tell your landlord about your situation ahead of time. This cannot help you. There is no way a landlord will ever take that as a sign to help you instead of start the process to gently caress you. Just let it all happen and say fuckall nothing to them until it happens. With the eviction suspension orders in effect for most states this doesn't mean they are not going to start getting creative. I don't know how they will do it but it will be brutal bullshit like cutting water or power. Get ready for some real horror stories about these ghouls going full aggro on their tenants in this wild west time. I have told my neighbors I am a locksmith so if they start trying to change locks I can pop their doors open and replace them.

Good luck goons. Thanks for saving me this month.

I filed for unemployment in maryland as well, haven't heard back yet but I don't expect anything anyway bc of my garbage job situation

from what I read you'll still receive benefits even if you say "0" on the internet/phone weekly check in, but the webcert poo poo confuses me and it's ridiculous there isn't any notice on that website, or the online unemployment application, or anything about covid. it's on another part of maryland's unemployment website in FAQs but not where it needs to be.

best of luck and gently caress landlords

e: the first #10 here https://www.dllr.state.md.us/employment/uicovidfaqs.shtml

and the section under the video here https://www.dllr.state.md.us/employment/unemployment.shtml

there's a pdf that also says this exemption will be in effect throughout the duration of the state of emergency, so ten weeks is probably optimistic lol

snoo has issued a correction as of 08:05 on Apr 13, 2020

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

fits my needs posted:

lol libs thought chuds would change their mind after their friends/family die in a pandemic haha

lmao the chuds will outlive them and vote trump

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

Judakel posted:

the ones that live will carry out suicide attacks on 5g towers

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Judakel posted:

Imagine risking your life in a pandemic to vote for joe biden

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Salt Fish posted:

Imagine risking your life in a pandemic to vote for joe biden

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1249479913922613253?s=20

twoday
May 4, 2005

heh

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I would brave any pandemic to vote for Bernie, and also I did.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

never talk to

1) cops
b) landlords

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

it rules that biden's campaign is just:

1) soul of america
2) trump bad
3) NOW NOW NOW!

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

snoo posted:

I filed for unemployment in maryland as well, haven't heard back yet but I don't expect anything anyway bc of my garbage job situation

from what I read you'll still receive benefits even if you say "0" on the internet/phone weekly check in, but the webcert poo poo confuses me and it's ridiculous there isn't any notice on that website, or the online unemployment application, or anything about covid. it's on another part of maryland's unemployment website in FAQs but not where it needs to be.

best of luck and gently caress landlords

e: the first #10 here https://www.dllr.state.md.us/employment/uicovidfaqs.shtml

and the section under the video here https://www.dllr.state.md.us/employment/unemployment.shtml

there's a pdf that also says this exemption will be in effect throughout the duration of the state of emergency, so ten weeks is probably optimistic lol

poo poo Snoo thanks. That takes a bit of the pressure off. I checked for this kind of info in the beginning of April and got the same page but they updated it from then. When the riots start Ill get you a nice lobbyist skull to drink from as thanks. Unless you would prefer a rocket from Lockheed.

Drinkfist has issued a correction as of 08:15 on Apr 13, 2020

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

snoo posted:

never talk to

1) cops
b) landlords

3) bosses

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

landlort

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

i hosed this one up and regret it

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
BossLord

LandCop

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

snoo posted:

i hosed this one up and regret it

:rip:

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

ligma what

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydx0OVE4AKc

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

What is with this list. You shouldn't talk to loving anyone. That is how these brainworm eggs get into your skull. Don't think about it.

Just Chill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRg_8NNPTD8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

twoday posted:

you're thinking of a niqab, a burqa has some eye protection

Men are loving monsters.