Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

He talks to his voters like they're his children, which makes sense since many of them will soon be dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Anyone else going straightedge during quarantine to ease the anxiety and ups and downs? I realize the middle of the night is probably not a great time to ask this.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Heated Gaming Moment posted:

Anyone else going straightedge during quarantine to ease the anxiety and ups and downs? I realize the middle of the night is probably not a great time to ask this.

I am always straight edge and lol sometimes I wish I wanted to drink

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

seriously tho I feel like a lot of people are doing way more drinking in particular and I just want you all to be careful and safe ok? I love you

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

so I was real mad that Pet Shop Boys and New Order are doing a historic duo-tour together and they're coming here to san francisco in sept. all the good seats were sold out almost instantly leaving only like $300 VIP poo poo / scalped overpriced nosebleed left. they're not cancelled but absolutely sounds like there's no way they're going to be playing at this rate. hopefully that gives a chance at nabbing tickets if they reschedule, i'd take the risk

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I quit smoking weed and replaced it with alcohol, does that count?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I started out at 1 drink a day and then 2, and now zero because I can see where that is going if this thing lasts several more months.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

What the gently caress happened?

I keep rereading my own stuff and I don't believe it.

I'm going to just forward it all of it to my therapist Tuesday and say, "Call me back once you start getting worried."

It'll likely take like 3 minutes.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

snoo posted:

seriously tho I feel like a lot of people are doing way more drinking in particular and I just want you all to be careful and safe ok? I love you

Same. My irl friends are drinking a ton as this continues and it’s only been a month or so here. My buddy is at two bottles of wine a night and another put down a handle of Jim Beam and a case of IPAs in a couple weeks.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

updated:

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
company wide email that says theres gonna be more layoffs next year wheeeeeeeeee

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Schmoe Cwead posted:

found out today that the closest brewery still open cant refill growlers just hand out new ones

im gonna have so many fuckin growlers

The closest brewery to me sells cases of 24 x 375ml cans for $125. Swap problems.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

MadJackal posted:

I'm going to just forward it all of it to my therapist Tuesday and say, "Call me back once you start getting worried."

I'm dumb as poo poo but the feeling I have is one like "you don't owe it to anyone to process this emotionally because functionally you already did you part".

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

MadJackal posted:

Rip stay safe I'm going insane with a low.level computer toucher job I can't imagine being an actual professional in health care atm

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

ryanrs posted:

I quit smoking weed and replaced it with alcohol, does that count?

I’d go the other way, but you do you.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

try less alcohol, more weed, more sleep, more exercise

it works p. well

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Korean Boomhauer posted:

company wide email that says theres gonna be more layoffs next year wheeeeeeeeee
goondolences

its weird knowing that everything is going to poo poo but also realizing in realtime that you're still being normalcy biasing it away even as you say wait a second no thats bad, but ehh doesnt seem that bad. but it is, but traffic is almost back to normal and tons of people are out driving and walking around, but also things are getting wiped out

brains are loving stupid and humans were a mistake

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

I was and I started to drink again because gently caress it smoke em if you got em

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Salt Fish posted:

I started out at 1 drink a day and then 2, and now zero because I can see where that is going if this thing lasts several more months.

I hear this. I was drinking every other day or so once quarantine started and it quickly turned into 4-5 on those days. I decided it wasn’t a good path if the stress was making me want to do that.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Fly Molo posted:

try less alcohol, more weed, more sleep, more exercise

it works p. well

I don’t have a weed source right now :smith:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

i've only gotten stoned like twice and only had 1 cider in the last 4 weeks. i thought i'd be a lot more into it and like envisioned spending lots of time "working from home" popping edibles and playing games/watching netflix and catching up on backlog of shows/games between doing work almost non-stop, but no it sucks and have no interest in doing so

i've been hitting the lovely kratom hard tho bc im a terminal dumbass

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I was a drinker for a long time but in the heyday of the trump thread death crew experience I needed two big gin & tonics to be able to sleep at night and I quit but Covid has kicked it all back off again because gently caress it we're all hosed now.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I’ve been painting miniatures because that’s just like doing hard drugs

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

do the goons have any recommendations on where to buy masks online?

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I’d go the other way, but you do you.

It was getting too expensive and also messing with my lungs a little.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Xaris posted:

goondolences

its weird knowing that everything is going to poo poo but also realizing in realtime that you're still being normalcy biasing it away even as you say wait a second no thats bad, but ehh doesnt seem that bad. but it is, but traffic is almost back to normal and tons of people are out driving and walking around, but also things are getting wiped out

brains are loving stupid and humans were a mistake

whats there to worry about? its not like food processing facilities are shutting down because of the corona now but im sure that's "built in" :frogbon:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I hadn't drunk at all this year till last week. Got hammered, decided it wasn't for me as drunk and stuck inside shitposting isn't really any more fun than just shitposting during lockdown. Back to sober and just using my days to deliver care packages to people who can't get out.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Piggy Smalls posted:

If you're just a regular jerk it works just as well to tie a bandanna around your face. If you're a health professional lol good luck

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Piggy Smalls posted:

lol, big hearty lol. You can't buy them online now, you need to make your own.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
I can't smoke weed.

I'm drinking, probably too much.

But God damnit I can't smoke smoke weed and not go to the dark place unless I'm watching a movie or doing something productive instead of reading the thre..oh.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Drinkfist posted:

So after being fired in the last week of March turned out to be lucky for me in Maryland because I got though to Unemployment filing on the phone (I wasn't applicable for online as I moved her last June). Managed to get my mail in and mailed out the forms as this poo poo cranked up. Only issue is I still need Wisconsin to talk to Maryland UI and update them on my last year income else I get a big fat ZERO on my incoming UI checks (If they do actually come in). I order to check on how this process was moving along I called back in to Maryland Unemployment at all hours of the day and instead of getting their automated menu I get the busy signal. I called in for fun 50 times in a row and never got the line to tip and ring. Shits hosed. But yesterday I got this fun piece of mail in that says I have an appointment to be called sometime on the 16th with the reason only written as "DISCHARGED". So hope either that works out for me which would be real cool. The only advantages I have over many other people is once I saw China take such wild actions in February I successfully predicted I should stock up my pantry with a fuckton of cheap canned goods given how if I was wrong I would be enjoying Soup and Chef Boyardee for the next year. So I got a good stock of food going for me.

Interesting thing to note about Maryland Unemployment is the requirements to stay on the program is once a week you file in their online Webcert saying you didn't work and were able as well as file online in a separate website minimum three job attempt contacts. Only problem is I have a great many friends in the safe cracking industry but they are all inside hiding as well as me so we have just been passing around company names for fun as something to file. How and why they have not waived the three job contacts during a lockdown yet is past me but I guess they haven't looked that far into our new reality. Without a car and the metro being shut down it's gonna be quite difficult for me as well as others like me to stomp around knocking on dark company doors looking for work so I have been treating it like the joke that it is.

At the beginning of this month things were looking really grim as my boss was withholding my last paycheck and my tax returns were not in yet so I had to depend on you goons for your great generosity to pay my phone bill and have fresh milk and eggs delivered so I can continue to cook without losing my mind to the canned monotony. Spending a deployment in Iraq as an infantryman I can tell you after two weeks of bland MRE food you start to get really fucky mentally when the stress is kept at a constant Shepard Tone. The only advice I can give you all is to develop a great gallows humor and totally stop giving a gently caress, play video games and read some books. Ill go out and start to unfuck myself when this poo poo calms down or I need to fight the police banging on my door.

To hell with everyone saying you should tell your landlord about your situation ahead of time. This cannot help you. There is no way a landlord will ever take that as a sign to help you instead of start the process to gently caress you. Just let it all happen and say fuckall nothing to them until it happens. With the eviction suspension orders in effect for most states this doesn't mean they are not going to start getting creative. I don't know how they will do it but it will be brutal bullshit like cutting water or power. Get ready for some real horror stories about these ghouls going full aggro on their tenants in this wild west time. I have told my neighbors I am a locksmith so if they start trying to change locks I can pop their doors open and replace them.

Good luck goons. Thanks for saving me this month.

You can turn your water back on with a wrench, and you power back on with a pair of wire cutters and with no fear (you just pull the meter out and turn the meter right side up.). pull out the plastic tabs first. you will see them. this might not apply to newer power meters.

Applesnots has issued a correction as of 08:47 on Apr 13, 2020

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

MadJackal posted:

Men are loving monsters.

Yes obviously the sexism in this lingering tradition is far beyond being defensible, but this current crisis has made me wonder about various ancient traditions and how and why they emerged, and I'm wondering if the old European traditions of bowing rather than shaking hands, looking down upon public displays of affection, and wearing hoopskirts were rooted culturally in social distancing requirements that came from previous disease/epidemic situations, and similarly for these face covering, and regular hand and foot washing in Muslim cultures, or bowing in Asia, etc.

I'm not saying that these traditions are right or good, but a couple of months ago it was much easier for many people to look down on the cultural practices of previous centuries (of whatever culture, even one's own) as barbaric and backwards, and now that we are facing a pandemic and need to reaarnge society, a lot of these rituals and practices suddenly seem to make a lot of sense. If I wonder now why people adopted these customs in the first place, then this makes a lot more sense than the theory that "those people were just idiots who did things wrong for incomprehensible reasons"

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Inceltown posted:

I hadn't drunk at all this year till last week. Got hammered, decided it wasn't for me as drunk and stuck inside shitposting isn't really any more fun than just shitposting during lockdown. Back to sober and just using my days to deliver care packages to people who can't get out.

Aww. You sweetie. I should find a method for doing something good around here.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Piggy Smalls posted:

Try https://costumecity.com/

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
https://twitter.com/NAChristakis/status/1240689981569417217

lets hope covid ends up behaving different than some previous corona viruses

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Salt Fish posted:

yeah thats why i haven't started drinking, seems like it would escalate quickly

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Xaris posted:

https://twitter.com/NAChristakis/status/1240689981569417217

lets hope covid ends up behaving different than some previous corona viruses

lmfao it absolutely won't

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

so while on our walks this weekend with my gf she had a brilliant idea for a way to make a temporary vaccine that would last 2-6 months (time based on targeted cell growth factors that she hadn’t fully researched yet) that would be ready to test in like 3 months (approval and manufacturing means rollout in the 6-9 month range which is nice) since it’s based on a bunch of proven stuff that’s easy enough to modify if she gets the go ahead for the project, and it’s not only effective for covid19 but pretty much every future respiratory corona type virus

she sent her idea off to the two heads of research saturday after our walk when she had the idea and they’ve already scheduled a meeting on monday for it as a backup to the full vaccine everyone is banking on so yeah, that’s kinda cool

it won’t be a vaccine to give to everyone but one that healthcare workers could get and one that could be given to anyone exposed to people with it which is kinda cool

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Piggy Smalls posted:

you can buy some sewn cloth masks, or make them i guess

we have some bc we have lots of wildfires here in california and some from past construction sites ive worked on, but yeah no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

snoo posted:

lmfao it absolutely won't
it's really who loving knows at this point. reinfection in the short term has not been proven possible and mostly just other clinical handling/testing problems; or extremely rare. but 2 years from now? maybe