Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

tak posted:

Was it the first smithing thing you did in the beta? They changed the skill level xp requirements, so the first time you get xp you'll jump to a higher skill level

You do get more xp and unlocks from crafting valuable stuff though

Yeah, and I've noticed it with athletics, riding etc.

It also seems like it's not worth to break down items for materials to sale anymore. On the other hand javelins are crazy expensive once you unlock some better parts. Nothing like changing 3 pieces of fine steel, 2 wood, 1 charcoal and 1 steel into something worth 64k.

I also get crashes after cleaning bandit hideouts, happens after kicking the bandit boss and taking items.

alex314 fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Apr 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

alex314 posted:

Yeah, and I've noticed it with athletics, riding etc.

It also seems like it's not worth to break down items for materials to sale anymore. On the other hand javelins are crazy expensive once you unlock some better parts. Nothing like changing 3 pieces of fine steel, 2 wood, 1 charcoal and 1 steel into something worth 64k.

I also get crashes after cleaning bandit hideouts, happens after kicking the bandit boss and taking items.

It's a bug that happens if you have the Trade perks that give you trade rumors from your workshops/caravans. No idea how anyone figured that out, but you can use the Character Import/Export mod to export your character, remove the perk, and then re-import and it'll fix the bandit lair crashes.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
I do like the new leveling scale. The skills do go up to 300, So getting first 100-150 shouldnt take more than few tens of hours max.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Judging from the mount and blade subreddit the Aserai was the wrong nation to label as thirsty.

People really, really want to bang Rhagaea.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
In a game where marriage options are numerous, the few you can't have everyone wants.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Getting really pissed off with the Aserai. I joined up for the cool hats and because they weren't getting stomped by the empire like most of the other factions, but it turns out they're just really annoying to play with.

It's the chokepoints that do it, especially on the western end. Being miles away from most of your territory makes sustaining an army difficult, and because there's not a whole lot of room for moving around each other there's a lot of slamming doomstacks into each other and not a lot of capturing, and then if you do succeed in taking something on the other side it's really difficult to defend because most of the lords have hosed off back home to lick their wounds after clearing out that 1000 man army and are thus eight years travel away. Also they're doing this cool thing where the armies are determined to siege this castle on the peninsula right in the middle of the not-mediterranean, despite there being many more interesting locations between there and here. My guess is that they're just targetting whatever settlement is closest in a straight line rather than whatever is closest by road.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah, Calradia's NotMediterranean really needs some ships that let you cross from the port cities in the southern parts of the Empire to the port cities in the center of Aserai territory. Maybe make it so they can't be used by hostile factions if the owner of one of the ports is at war with user.

There is probably a few other ship routes that you could make too, such as Diathma to Varnapol (thought that isn't as huge a distance to walk) or some of the Vlandian cities on the coast; Ostican and Charas.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

It wasn't obvious to me at first, but the westernmost end has a land bridge just northwest of Quyaz you can cross to go north. I've never seen the AI use it.

Enigma fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 13, 2020

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

oops, stupid phone

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, Calradia's NotMediterranean really needs some ships that let you cross from the port cities in the southern parts of the Empire to the port cities in the center of Aserai territory. Maybe make it so they can't be used by hostile factions if the owner of one of the ports is at war with user.

There is probably a few other ship routes that you could make too, such as Diathma to Varnapol (thought that isn't as huge a distance to walk) or some of the Vlandian cities on the coast; Ostican and Charas.

Siege boats

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Enigma posted:

Levels in everything seem way faster in beta. Almost too fast in some cases. I hit lvl 70 riding (from like 40) just farming some looters for the first clan rank quest.

If you ported your character there is a bank of XP from your earned xp vs the beta skill levels which are lower requirements. Eg if you port a character with 25 riding in the non beta patch it’s 25000 xp. In the beta patch your character ports over at 25 in riding and 25000 xp but 25 riding in the beta only costs 15000 so you have 10k that pays forward. Which is why your skills shoot up so fast. It’s the game coming back in line.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Boarding actions. :pusheen:

It'd probably suck because you'd keep falling off and drowning but dang I want it anyway.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Oh no it seems they patched out the thicc.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Some of the Warband side games had working ships and ship combat, so I wouldn't be surprised if that feature is eventually added on the road to full release.

minchar
Feb 10, 2013

Enigma posted:

It wasn't obvious to me at first, but the westernmost end has a land bridge just northwest of Quyaz you can cross to go north. I've never seen the AI use it.

They do, in fact the only reason I noticed it was because I saw a caravan go across it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah the not-strait-of-not-gibraltar is usually teeming with caravans.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Valtonen posted:

I do like the new leveling scale. The skills do go up to 300, So getting first 100-150 shouldnt take more than few tens of hours max.

I'm not really sure how you're supposed to hit 275 or higher for the top perks, to be honest... Max you can have in a stat is 10 (for +90 to learning limit) and 5 focus points (for +150 learning limit). That gives you a learning limit of 240. How far past your learning limit can you expect to push until your skills get hard capped? The game doesn't exactly tell you, and it's hard to use companions as a judge since with 0 focus and a 0 in a stat they are incapable of learning at all.

Quick googling and it seems like the learning limit formula for the hard cap is...

(Stat * 14) + (Focus Points * 40) - 10, for a hard cap of 330 with max stats and all focus points.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Bigger problem is that you only gain 40 potential skill gains per level, which means you'll level cap long before your character can do much. I think leveling still needs a lot of work. It should slow down a bit as it goes, but I should always feel like either developing my existing character in a new direction or rolling a new one are both viable choices.

e - bothered to do the quick math and the level cap is 25, maybe 26 if you get a couple of the +attribute perks. After that you won't be able to get any more skillups with which to level.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 14, 2020

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

So in Captains mode , as Vlandians you can get 16 arbalests , vs 9 Fians archers that the batts have. Arbalest wins

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Are they a mp-only troop type? Never seen Vlandian arbalest in campaign.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Actually there are two types of crossbows, what I meant was the cheaper, peasant type. There are arbalest that use a paivse shield and legit arbalest. Peasant spam however works in multiplayer sometimes in swarming knights

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

K8.0 posted:

Bigger problem is that you only gain 40 potential skill gains per level, which means you'll level cap long before your character can do much. I think leveling still needs a lot of work. It should slow down a bit as it goes, but I should always feel like either developing my existing character in a new direction or rolling a new one are both viable choices.

e - bothered to do the quick math and the level cap is 25, maybe 26 if you get a couple of the +attribute perks. After that you won't be able to get any more skillups with which to level.

I think it would be better if the floor for xp gain was x1 instead of x0, that way focus points and attributes just boost your rate of learning instead of having a hard cap.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

TheTrend posted:

If you ported your character there is a bank of XP from your earned xp vs the beta skill levels which are lower requirements. Eg if you port a character with 25 riding in the non beta patch it’s 25000 xp. In the beta patch your character ports over at 25 in riding and 25000 xp but 25 riding in the beta only costs 15000 so you have 10k that pays forward. Which is why your skills shoot up so fast. It’s the game coming back in line.

Nah, new character. I have commitment issues and can’t stick with a character past clan lvl 2.

What cultures is everyone teaming up with? I keep going back to the not-Khergits cause I can’t quit horses.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Battanian because shooting people with arrows before chopping their heads off with two handed swords owns.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Archers are probably a bit too good in captains right now, especially fians.

2h polearms are sick powerful but as long as archers are good the lackingness of shields is painful. I tried using shielded javelineers against enemy archers but javelins are just too weak to compete with what archers can do.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
archers can absolutely murder but the fact that nearly every used unit other then archers has a shield makes them a bit difficult

and people in general know to immediately shieldwall at the start

if you can sneak your archer gaggle behind though you can wipe the opposing team and, really, that should be your goal in life.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Enigma posted:

What cultures is everyone teaming up with?

Enigma posted:

I keep going back to the not-Khergits cause I can’t quit horses.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

You weren't kidding when saying glaive used 2h is ridiculous! Nothing more satisfying than killing 2 riders in one pass. And if the cowards take out my horse I can just unseat someone in one swing. I'm just going to need Guan Yu character preset for maximum accuracy..

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Where can I buy a glaive? I've never seen one for trade.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

wilderthanmild posted:

Check out not-Khergit towns.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

wilderthanmild posted:

You can find them in Khuzait cities. There's also a handful of other polearms that functions pretty much the same, any of them with a cutting attack and good length will do. The rhomphalia, menavlion, eastern polesword, and war razor (be aware there's also a two-handed sword with the same name) are the ones I remember.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

wilderthanmild posted:

Very few are called a glaive, but any polearm with a cutting damage type swings and is a glaive.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Tried out a menavlion during my lunch break today.

I'm literally harvesting souls with this thing and it's awesome. I thought it would be worse against cavalry than a lance, but side swiping cavalry going in the opposite direction seems to do the same damage.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

The cheap-as-hell one titled just "glaive" is loving brutal. Nothing survives past one swing so long as my horse is moving.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

My firstborn just popped out. My wife has literally been on the field since I bought her for 5 mules and 4500 denars, first in my army scaling walls then commanding her own party on my army.

Celebrated the occasion by crafting her a 2-handed tier 6 Axe named “love” from steel smelted from looted vlandian lances. The same evening got a message she’s expecting again.

Best.game.ever.

How long does it take ingame until babies are old enough to draft into companions?

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Valtonen posted:

My firstborn just popped out. My wife has literally been on the field since I bought her for 5 mules and 4500 denars, first in my army scaling walls then commanding her own party on my army.

Celebrated the occasion by crafting her a 2-handed tier 6 Axe named “love” from steel smelted from looted vlandian lances. The same evening got a message she’s expecting again.

Best.game.ever.

How long does it take ingame until babies are old enough to draft into companions?

This shouldn't surprise you, but 18 years.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Olesh posted:

This shouldn't surprise you, but 18 years.

drat. So 18x300 ingame days?

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

I would just like to note the best units in the game, a surprise to many, is from the Aserai;

The mounted Mamluk

The reason being they (the camels)make the best noises. They honk when you ride them, burp when they get hit, and gargle when they die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I feel like a child reaching 18 will never happen to me in this game. I tend to just start over and over in all the M&B games I've ever played and I don't see that changing.

I have gotten deeper in these than I used to get in Warband. I think it's because sieges, fief management, and other late game content seem much more manageable now.