Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

fermun posted:

Cool, back door was apparently not completely shut and latched and a raccoon just managed to somehow open it and tried to get to my cat food. I have 4 cats because my wife and I each had 2 before we met, and even though my two and her two don't get along that well, the 3 that were awake were united in gently caress the raccoon and there was the most insane stand-off between a loving san francisco city racoon inside my apartment and 3 cats yowling at it. i chased it off with my broom and made sure the door was fully latched and deadbolted it, i often don't deadbolt the back door because it's behind 2 security gates

what the gently caress is going on? i blame corona for this.

there's been all sorts of stories about animals having to become more aggressive in looking for food that they used to get from people being outside, now that nobody's outside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

fermun posted:

Cool, back door was apparently not completely shut and latched and a raccoon just managed to somehow open it and tried to get to my cat food. I have 4 cats because my wife and I each had 2 before we met, and even though my two and her two don't get along that well, the 3 that were awake were united in gently caress the raccoon and there was the most insane stand-off between a loving san francisco city racoon inside my apartment and 3 cats yowling at it. i chased it off with my broom and made sure the door was fully latched and deadbolted it, i often don't deadbolt the back door because it's behind 2 security gates

i hope you fed the racoon

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the 4th cat let the raccoon in to distract you

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

CODChimera posted:

wait why aren't the sailors being fed properly?

Once sailors choose to stop being so drat sick all the time, they will be rewarded with meals.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

karoshi posted:

dyslexic Mayan Nostradamus: I must warn them about the end of world in 2021! Pass me a chisel!

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

fermun posted:

Raccoon meat is a bit greasy and gamey, but you can braise it for hours like bear meat to make it somewhat palatable.

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide
https://twitter.com/RussianMemesLtd/status/1249640219516821504?s=19

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

every day is a day when I wish it was two weeks in the future so I’d know if i got the covid and am dead or sick or nothing at all etc!!

sure would be cool if testing was real

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

:crnasickos:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

is the US government not giving the roosevelt crew proper supplies and care out of punishment/revenge? :stare:

The Alpha Centauri
Feb 15, 2019

BattleMaster posted:

is the US government not giving the roosevelt crew proper supplies and care out of punishment/revenge? :stare:

no president would do this

nope. never.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

*cccccccrack*

Serf
May 5, 2011

nothing like waking up to a tornado warning in the middle of the pandemic lol

uncop
Oct 23, 2010
At this point I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that the sailors on that plague aircraft carrier are deliberately being used as a human experiment on the worst case scenario, disease spread until potential herd immunity with services overwhelmed. Someone's getting their rocks off logging what is happening to them, for science. It's just the perfect opportunity to check out what is really the fraction of asymptomatic carriers, how long does people's immunity last etc. with people self-selected to be young enough not to just get massacred in a panic and scandal. See me in 30-50 years when someone finally manages to produce credible evidence and a book is written about it.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah get ready for post capitalism. the bad kind.

The Alpha Centauri
Feb 15, 2019
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1236029449042198528?lang=en

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

uncop posted:

At this point I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that the sailors on that plague aircraft carrier are deliberately being used as a human experiment on the worst case scenario, disease spread until potential herd immunity with services overwhelmed. Someone's getting their rocks off logging what is happening to them, for science. It's just the perfect opportunity to check out what is really the fraction of asymptomatic carriers, how long does people's immunity last etc. with people self-selected to be young enough not to just get massacred in a panic and scandal. See me in 30-50 years when someone finally manages to produce credible evidence and a book is written about it.

its good data but this assumes way too much confidence in the government

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

They didn't even give Rio's Christ the Redeemer PPE when they lit him up to look like a doctor on Easter Sunday.

The Alpha Centauri
Feb 15, 2019
that aircraft carrier should go rogue imo

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Drinkfist posted:

Stop being loving right Mark. Its devastating.

I didn't really look at the WHO statistical estimates until about the 8th of march but I saw right away this was going to be very bad and more or less permanent. I keep revising my definition of "very bad" downwards pretty much every day, it owns :rip:

the medical situation is just going off the rails because too many people refuse to give up their right to share their germs with everyone else
it'll be even worse because we're never going to give up cash based medical services
all strip-mall type businesses, sit-down restaurants are GONE until there is a vaccine, the ones that are trying to remain open will just keep spreading virus
unemployment is going to keep getting worse, government is going to keep pretending short term "small business" payouts are not going straight into owners' pockets
gas and food will become harder to find as corner gas stations everywhere are unable to operate due to low profits and risk of exposure
logistics and deliveries become patchy because of the less ubiquitous available fuel
people start getting violent for all of the above reasons
government continues to do the absolute dumbest and worst things imaginable

hail satan praise mammon praise baal :supaburn:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

CODChimera posted:

wait why aren't the sailors being fed properly?

navy ships are provisioned locally and if you have a huge ship full of sick as poo poo sailors, that probably makes it harder to find people willing to deal with you (or able)

uncop posted:

maybe but imo it's way more likely that everyone in charge from turmp on down is to goddamn dumb for any of that and they are just loving up.
e: at least they evacuated most of the crew

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-navy-evacuates-roughly-80-of-uss-theodore-roosevelt-crew-2020-4

Flesh Forge has issued a correction as of 12:01 on Apr 13, 2020

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Flesh Forge posted:

I didn't really look at the WHO statistical estimates until about the 8th of march but I saw right away this was going to be very bad and more or less permanent. I keep revising my definition of "very bad" downwards pretty much every day, it owns :rip:

the medical situation is just going off the rails because too many people refuse to give up their right to share their germs with everyone else
it'll be even worse because we're never going to give up cash based medical services
all strip-mall type businesses, sit-down restaurants are GONE until there is a vaccine, the ones that are trying to remain open will just keep spreading virus
unemployment is going to keep getting worse, government is going to keep pretending short term "small business" payouts are not going straight into owners' pockets
gas and food will become harder to find as corner gas stations everywhere are unable to operate due to low profits and risk of exposure
logistics and deliveries become patchy because of the less ubiquitous available fuel
people start getting violent for all of the above reasons

hail satan praise mammon praise baal :supaburn:

save us Chairman Xi

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

fermun posted:

there are more racoons and possums in my neighborhood lately too

they know the humans have gone to ground and have the run of the town

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

snoo posted:

the rats want mcdonalds as badly as I do

The quality of fast food's taken a serious nosedive since the Corona times, imho. All the more incentive to stay the gently caress indoors and cook (or learn how to cook).

uncop
Oct 23, 2010

Heh, I guess this is a reminder not to take up gambling.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/apr/13/coronavirus-live-news-global-cases-italy-new-york-death-tolls-slow-latest-updates posted:

A couple of readers have been in touch regarding Covid-19 death rates in Belgium, pointing out that Belgian health authorities are currently counting any death of an individual in an elderly care home with any respiratory symptoms as a Covid-19 death.

This is similar to the way that France records its Covid-19 death rate. So far the UK does not do the same. I’m not sure about Italy and France.

It is a point worth remembering when looking at Covid-19 death rates across Europe and the world. We could well be comparing apples with oranges.

fairly sure that spain doesnt count those either

its great that the countries that try to have accurate data are punished by looking worse than the average. if only there was some supranational entity which could set standards (the who would be great but at least the eu which has actual power)

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

90s Solo Cup posted:

The quality of fast food's taken a serious nosedive since the Corona times, imho. All the more incentive to stay the gently caress indoors and cook (or learn how to cook).

I haven't eaten any fast food since early March, which chains do you think declined the most?

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/01/singing-stops-italy-fear-social-unrest-mount-coronavirus-lockdown

cool cool good, very good cool good yes cool good good

mystes
May 31, 2006

Zeroisanumber posted:

I went to a local distillery and they sold me a gallon of 195 proof wood alcohol for $10. I washed out an old tobasco bottle and now I use it as sanitizer.

Not sure if that's an option for everyone, but it's worth a look if there are booze makers in your area.
Are you taking about methanol? That sounds like an extremely bad loving idea.

Edit: are you sure you don't mean "grain alcohol"?

mystes has issued a correction as of 12:25 on Apr 13, 2020

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
i once went to best buy on the day that thief 2 was supposed to be released and they didn't know what i was talking about and then i asked if "they could check in the back" and after like 30min they found it and it was the happiest day of my life

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Finally some good news

https://twitter.com/VanityFair/status/1249653820222734338

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1249655328742006784

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1249658778594705410

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Lambert posted:

I haven't eaten any fast food since early March, which chains do you think declined the most?

Evening, officer. Have you visited Krispy Kreme lately?

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

Kind of anxious right now since we're supposed to get 30-50mph winds in my area. If the power is out for awhile all of the meat that I vacuum sealed and stocked in my 2 freezers will be gone and I have no generator. :(

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Why don't they move to a place with jobs? :words:

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I can't wait to watch this movie in 2022 when we can finally go outside again.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Got 3 hours of sleep so the essential job should be fun today.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
can we share our covid-passtimes with our Roni-Rouser friends in here

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

whenever jared opens his mouth I see clouds of flies buzzing out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
not going to lie this feels like being run over by a cement roller travelling an inch a day