Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Barudak posted:

They are all going to go all in on harddrive read speed pretty soon.

*tips fedora*
NVM’lady

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

jokes posted:

I got a 1080 and thought it was a waste over my 970 until I got a 1440p/144hz monitor and now I get very upset seeing my framerate dip below 80, despite it looking so gorgeous and way better than any graphical thing before. I wish I got a 1080Ti or better/newer.

I think that upgrading your monitor beyond 1080p/60 without also upgrading your GPU (or vice versa) is dumb for anyone using a 970 or better. You won’t see much, if any, improvement. Of course at that point upgrading both a monitor and GPU will cost at least $1000.

Anyways. In Mount and Blade 2: Bannerlord the top-tier bow/weapon/armor is about 10% more effective than the bow/weapon/armor beneath it, but costs as much as about 4,000 troops. Meaning I could purchase the life and death of 4,000 people for the price of a single bow. A bow that the shop has 10 of. My opinion of this is that Mount and Blade should have better gold sinks and it really detracts from the game’s simulation or whatever.

Mount and Blade has always had a weird abstraction where promoting a troop from a pitchfork wielding conscript to elite heavy cavalry costs around 500 denars total (getting them the exp is the hard part) but buying yourself even basic heavy armor costs like 50,000, if you can even find a shop selling it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I can’t be the only one who hates the camera in animal crossing. You can’t zoom close or far enough and it’s fixed to one direction. I constantly lose stuff behind trees and buildings. It’s a kids game sure, but this is really annoying

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Caesar Saladin posted:

Yeah Shakespeare is telling you the story in a very specific order that he chose where he wants you to know the ending first. To use that as an example that all stories should tell you the ending first is really missing the point. its not like he decided that randomly, he did it for a specific effect where you're like "How are these kids gonna get themselves into this mess?"

To say that a story is just a list of events that you can tell in any order and it doesn't matter is completely dumb.

To use a relevant example, back in the day King Lear would have been a huge shocker to Elizabethan audiences who were all familiar with the tale. In most versions of the story at that point in time, Cordelia restores Lear to the throne and everyone lives happily ever after. Shakespeare uh, obviously does not do this and turns it into a straight-up tragedy where Lear loses absolutely everything. So even back in the day storytellers were already playing around with shocking twist endings that as a theatregoer in the 1600s you probably wouldn't want to be spoilt upon.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Bannerlord seems very underwhelming, it looks marginally better than Warband, but that's about it. Otherwise it doesn't appear to have more variety or polish, and the leveling up system seems annoying.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Bannerlord seems very underwhelming, it looks marginally better than Warband, but that's about it. Otherwise it doesn't appear to have more variety or polish, and the leveling up system seems annoying.

As someone who never played Warband I'm enjoying it, but a lot of that is probably just that I like Mountain Blade but haven't played it in forever.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

exquisite tea posted:

To use a relevant example, back in the day King Lear would have been a huge shocker to Elizabethan audiences who were all familiar with the tale. In most versions of the story at that point in time, Cordelia restores Lear to the throne and everyone lives happily ever after. Shakespeare uh, obviously does not do this and turns it into a straight-up tragedy where Lear loses absolutely everything. So even back in the day storytellers were already playing around with shocking twist endings that as a theatregoer in the 1600s you probably wouldn't want to be spoilt upon.

my beef is that spoiler used to mean the twist was spoiled, but now it seems to mean the whole story is spoiled. And that's dumb. A good story is a good story regardless of whether you know what's coming.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 13, 2020

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

sebmojo posted:

my beef is that spoiler used to mean the twist was spoiled, but now it seems to mean the whole story is spoiled. And that's dumb. A good story is a good story regardless of whether you know what's coming.

Sometimes I discuss story beats, when playing FFXIV, in either the guild chat or the general chat. I always try to hide any spoilers, as you understand them, and keep things generic enough that you can’t know what part I’m discussing unless you’re past that point. I still get people jumping et me for spoiling the story and I’m like:”what story? What did I just reveal to you that will poo poo in your enjoyment?” And then I usually get non answers like “any talk of the storyline at all is spoiling” and I’m just baffled. The few times I’ve pressed the issue to have them explain why knowing that “character A (which was described with a letter in my chat) reacts in such a way to character B (so there’s no way of knowing who the characters are unless you’ve seen the scene)” is a problem, they just devolve literal insane plot purism apology.

It’s just grating -_-

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Moon Monster posted:

As someone who never played Warband I'm enjoying it, but a lot of that is probably just that I like Mountain Blade but haven't played it in forever.

I mean, i's a perfectly adequate game, it just feel more like a reskin than a fully fleshed out sequel, which is disappointing considering how long it was in development.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Barudak posted:

The should make a new F-Zero but go all in on gearhead simulation. Have hundreds of parts manufacturers, tiny variances in parts, and make each ounce in weight matter. Make it detailed enough that people have flamewars over what companies electrical wiring to put into their car.

F-Zero meets Yakuza Pocket racing? Just inject it directly into my veins.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

sebmojo posted:

it is better 100% of the time if you don't know what's coming, there is no situation where its not better to find out as you go along. Back before the internet it was way harder to spoil yourself and read summaries of things, its a new and modern thing to just be able to type in a movie or game and read a synopsis of the entire story. Like, every single time it is better to experience the narrative in the context of the actual thing instead of hearing some rando repeat what happened on the internet.

A good story is a good story regardless if you know whats coming, but it is always better if you do not because there is actually a subtlety and artistry to the way information is given to you, and this is even more true when a story is well written and well presented.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Moon Monster posted:

I've got a 960 and I'm definitely getting to the point where I'm having to play stuff on medium or low. Great lifespan though. Of course now midrange video cards are like $350.

What midrange cards? The 1660 super is 230 bucks and can handle everything on 1080p/high settings. It can even do VR.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

What midrange cards? The 1660 super is 230 bucks and can handle everything on 1080p/high settings. It can even do VR.

I guess the word "midrange" is imprecise and can very in meaning depending on who is using it and in what context. I was referring to cards that go for around $350.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Moon Monster posted:

I guess the word "midrange" is imprecise and can very in meaning depending on who is using it and in what context. I was referring to cards that go for around $350.

Those are either the 2060 (non-super) or whatever driver-issue riddled monstrosity AMD has at that price point. The 1660S is nearly as powerful as the 2060 for a hundred bucks+ less, it just doesn’t have the cool ray-tracing stuff or DLSS. 350 is basically the exact wrong amount to spend on a graphics card right now, you can either spend less on basically the same performance or spend 500 and get something that will absolutely smoke a 350 dollar card.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My 5700xt is actually running really well on the new driver. It’s only taken like 6 months to get here!!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Those are either the 2060 (non-super) or whatever driver-issue riddled monstrosity AMD has at that price point. The 1660S is nearly as powerful as the 2060 for a hundred bucks+ less, it just doesn’t have the cool ray-tracing stuff or DLSS. 350 is basically the exact wrong amount to spend on a graphics card right now, you can either spend less on basically the same performance or spend 500 and get something that will absolutely smoke a 350 dollar card.

That's good info, thanks!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Moon Monster posted:

I guess the word "midrange" is imprecise and can very in meaning depending on who is using it and in what context.

"I want no treble! No bass! ALL MIDRANGE!"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
What kinda video card do I need to make Bannerlord look like Ultra-Modded Skyrim like I see on streams instead of looking like Console-Version Oblivion like it does on my PC right now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Chomp8645 posted:

What kinda video card do I need to make Bannerlord look like Ultra-Modded Skyrim like I see on streams instead of looking like Console-Version Oblivion like it does on my PC right now.

What settings do you have it at? Also what kind of video card are you using right now?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Barudak posted:

The should make a new F-Zero but go all in on gearhead simulation. Have hundreds of parts manufacturers, tiny variances in parts, and make each ounce in weight matter. Make it detailed enough that people have flamewars over what companies electrical wiring to put into their car.

F-Zero seems like the absolute last game that'd benefit from this, and we already have about half the racing game market be overly crunchy sims without the devs having to make up six different brands of G-diffusers for a game that's already about having to get the hang of the vehicle flinging across space at 700 km/h with everyone else literally trying to kill you.

Kind of the problem is the middle basically fell out of the racing genre, it seems like, and now you don't really have much between crunchy sims like Gran Turismo (and arguably stuff like Spintires and even My Summer Car if you stretch it) and the other side of the genre that's basically mostly Mario Kart and its imitators. I think Wipeout is still quietly a bit of a thing, though that's always been more towards the Mario Kart end; Burnout seems to have gone extinct (though apparently there's a remake coming?) and Need for Speed's last gasp was pretty mediocre from all accounts. Not sure where Forza falls, but I do wonder if the middle of this genre died from a severe case of microtransaction gacha syndrome.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

F-Zero seems like the absolute last game that'd benefit from this, and we already have about half the racing game market be overly crunchy sims without the devs having to make up six different brands of G-diffusers for a game that's already about having to get the hang of the vehicle flinging across space at 700 km/h with everyone else literally trying to kill you.

Kind of the problem is the middle basically fell out of the racing genre, it seems like, and now you don't really have much between crunchy sims like Gran Turismo (and arguably stuff like Spintires and even My Summer Car if you stretch it) and the other side of the genre that's basically mostly Mario Kart and its imitators. I think Wipeout is still quietly a bit of a thing, though that's always been more towards the Mario Kart end; Burnout seems to have gone extinct (though apparently there's a remake coming?) and Need for Speed's last gasp was pretty mediocre from all accounts. Not sure where Forza falls, but I do wonder if the middle of this genre died from a severe case of microtransaction gacha syndrome.

There is clearly only one thing to do. The king must return. We must re release...
Wave Racer 64!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Even Mario Kart has too much customization IMO.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

the middle ground is that dreamcast game that was almost like a street racing rpg where you would buy parts and being substantially faster wasn't that hard to control but lacking in rubber-banding you could just bolt out ahead of motherfuckers and laugh all the way to the bank with their pink slips

until you meet the one rusted rear end piece of poo poo honda that's riced to all hell, you flash your high beams looking for an easy mark, and then two minutes later he takes your dream machine

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The new middle is Gran Turismo and Forza, 'simcades'. The middle you're talking about never died out, it just doesn't have an audience anymore. The Crew has an in-development sequel, Need for Speed has had a release every two or so years for the last decade, you have various smaller titles like Wreckfest, etc. They just don't sell huge numbers.

Hardware and game budgets have gotten to the point where you can have realistic physics, but have enough accessibility options to make them playable by someone who isn't very experience in racing games. Stuff like auto-braking, guide lines, rewind, etc. So there's not really much a point to have a game with basic physics where you can slide around a pretend Ferrari with ease, when you can learn how to slide around a pretend Ferrari in something much more realistic and feel more engrossed and immersed in the experience, even if the game is holding your hand the whole way through.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Ruffian Price posted:

If you're like me and just assumed they worked like any other stealth enemy, just invisible, that's not the case. If you're holding your breath you can pass right through them, if you're not it's solely proximity based. If you're spotted, holding R1 and walking leisurely to the side is all you need to evade the spikes

Have to admit, those encounters are very good at making you anxious, I was dreading every one before I realized what the mechanics are

for real? poo poo, that makes things so much simpler

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

ishikabibble posted:

The new middle is Gran Turismo and Forza, 'simcades'. The middle you're talking about never died out, it just doesn't have an audience anymore. The Crew has an in-development sequel, Need for Speed has had a release every two or so years for the last decade, you have various smaller titles like Wreckfest, etc. They just don't sell huge numbers.

Hardware and game budgets have gotten to the point where you can have realistic physics, but have enough accessibility options to make them playable by someone who isn't very experience in racing games. Stuff like auto-braking, guide lines, rewind, etc. So there's not really much a point to have a game with basic physics where you can slide around a pretend Ferrari with ease, when you can learn how to slide around a pretend Ferrari in something much more realistic and feel more engrossed and immersed in the experience, even if the game is holding your hand the whole way through.

goddamn i love gran turismo

i seriously don't think i'd ever tried one before two weeks ago but man it's fun, just like you've said here it lets me pick up fun new cars and go from "okay, maybe gimme some extra braking when you think I should" to "gently caress it, lets switch to a manual transmission and really tear up this track" depending on how I'm feeling and what I wanna do

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

How is the 2060S?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Even Mario Kart has too much customization IMO.

It's easily the worst part of MK8.

MK Wii got it perfect. Unlock stuff as you complete things. Mix and match riders and karts. That's it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

ishikabibble posted:

Yet somehow plenty of developers get the physice SO wrong, and not just wrong to reality but wrong feeling in every way. The most recent Need for Speed game was like that, just loving ugly and terrible, everything feels bad even when you account for the fact that it's just an arcade game

For Arcady racing games I really liked Grid 2019, Forza Horizon is fine as well although even more ludicrous. The ones in the middle I guess I'd call like F1 2019 where they go for some realistic physics but still maintain an arcady feel. Then stuff like Cars 2 or iRacing seem to be real actual attempts at simulations.

I think what homeboy was really trying to say is it would be nice if you could get something that has effort put into good physics and "realism" while at the same time being completely unreal and branching out beyond cars and tracks that actually exist and into science fiction

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I would totally be down for Dirt Rally In Space

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

goethe.cx posted:

for real? poo poo, that makes things so much simpler
also once you get the cutting tool using it refills your breath, making you invisible indefinitely if you go where the odradek is pointing

Play
Apr 25, 2006

precision posted:

I would totally be down for Dirt Rally In Space

hell yeah

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Waltzing Along posted:

How is the 2060S?

It’s about 50 percent more oomph than the 1660, and it has all the ray tracing and DLSS bells and whistles, if you’re looking to drop 400 bucks on a card it’s a good choice but I’d recommend doing the extra hundred bucks and going for the 2070S, which is one of my favorite graphics cards ever. Anything past that is a lot of money for not a lot of gain. The 2080 is something that you buy to have a 1000 dollar graphics card.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

It’s about 50 percent more oomph than the 1660, and it has all the ray tracing and DLSS bells and whistles, if you’re looking to drop 400 bucks on a card it’s a good choice but I’d recommend doing the extra hundred bucks and going for the 2070S, which is one of my favorite graphics cards ever. Anything past that is a lot of money for not a lot of gain. The 2080 is something that you buy to have a 1000 dollar graphics card.

I got a new 2060s for about 350 around 6 months ago, so I'm good. Thanks. I considered the 2070s but couldn't get the price to a point I liked.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

That's really good to know, and honestly 400 or 500 dollars doesn't seem like all that much. Once my 1060 3GB start struggling I'll just pick up one of those

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Waltzing Along posted:

I got a new 2060s for about 350 around 6 months ago, so I'm good. Thanks. I considered the 2070s but couldn't get the price to a point I liked.

It’s not as huge of a difference as the 1660S->2060S is. The extra power is mostly nice to have for ray tracing but with the new DLSS patch they put out you probably don’t even really need it anymore, that can nearly double your frame rate on the games that support it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Caesar Saladin posted:

it is better 100% of the time if you don't know what's coming, there is no situation where its not better to find out as you go along. Back before the internet it was way harder to spoil yourself and read summaries of things, its a new and modern thing to just be able to type in a movie or game and read a synopsis of the entire story. Like, every single time it is better to experience the narrative in the context of the actual thing instead of hearing some rando repeat what happened on the internet.

A good story is a good story regardless if you know whats coming, but it is always better if you do not because there is actually a subtlety and artistry to the way information is given to you, and this is even more true when a story is well written and well presented.

see; i disagree. do you ever reread things, rewatch things, replay things? can't you even imagine enjoying it more the second time through, seeing all the ways in which the upcoming twist is set up, the foreshadowing?

it's sort of a quasi religious point at this stage so i won't argue it further but please at least be open to the prospect that a twist isn't the story.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

It’s not as huge of a difference as the 1660S->2060S is. The extra power is mostly nice to have for ray tracing but with the new DLSS patch they put out you probably don’t even really need it anymore, that can nearly double your frame rate on the games that support it.

I chose a 60 hz awesome color display over a 144 that looked like rear end in comparison.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Waltzing Along posted:

I chose a 60 hz awesome color display over a 144 that looked like rear end in comparison.

I wanted to do that but I couldn’t find any HDR displays so I ended up with a 144Hz one. It’s actually pretty nice on games where I hit that but I’d much rather have the colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

food court bailiff posted:

goddamn i love gran turismo

i seriously don't think i'd ever tried one before two weeks ago but man it's fun, just like you've said here it lets me pick up fun new cars and go from "okay, maybe gimme some extra braking when you think I should" to "gently caress it, lets switch to a manual transmission and really tear up this track" depending on how I'm feeling and what I wanna do

the motion sensing steering for gran turismo sport is surprisingly good for a non-wheel control input. it's not as good as a wheel, and the braking/gas sensitivity is just not as fine, but without spending a few hundred on a wheel (my old logitech wheel isn't supported 🙄) it's a huge step up from analog controls.