Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Data Graham posted:

or the pandemic passing and America not learning a single thing from it.

This was always the outcome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/AsteadWesley/status/1249670319889092609

They really just don't think they need the left to win.

It’s not just that they don’t think they need the left to win, they literally view the left as a larger threat to them than the Republicans. They now prioritize winning their primaries over winning general elections. They’d rather shrink their power base to safe D states and districts and keep control over the party than surrender it to anyone else, because what’s the point of the party actually winning political power if they don’t control the party anymore?

AOC ‘prematurely’ ending the career of Pelosi’s chosen successor spooked the gently caress out of the party leaders.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

mcmagic posted:

I also don't want to defend Clinton, he's a piece of poo poo, but a consensual affair and sexual assault aren't the same thing.
Any definition of consent that enables a sexual relationship between an intern and her boss(the President of the United States) is woefully lacking.

Then again, I suppose this falls under your Evil people do bad poo poo. If you hang out with evil people, there is a good chance bad stuff will happen to you theory of sexual assault, so I shouldn't be surprised.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

VitalSigns posted:

Ok and?

Why do you think that is relevant to what I said

It means, contrary to your insistence, Republicans passed it, not Democrats.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

I know he's dump as a loving rock, but how in the great gently caress does this dumbshit think cutting production and increasing cost is going to make anything better?

I mean loving hell, he had what Bush had struggled for for years just dropped in his lap (lower gas prices) and he said "Nah" and threw it away

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SocketWrench posted:

Well, here's the problem. Sane people understand this stuff. These people are not sane and this only reinforces their persecution complex that they are being treated "just like the Jews in Hitler's Germany" that they will shout till they die. Any time you mention actual persecution they'll blurt out "Yeah, well remember back in 2020 when we were forced to be locked up for 14 days?!"

For note, I completely agree with the choice the state ran with and I hope the notice will be enforced instead of some weak rear end threat

who cares, those people would have found something else to feel martyred about anyway, that's what they live for

they react the exact same to anything short of a literal Christian theocracy, and even then they'd bitch that the mandatory doxology used the wrong word for Holy Ghost or something

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Xombie posted:

There are people like this for literally every politician, everywhere.

Yeah, but this seems to hover around 40% - 48% of a whole country

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Yes let’s not forget the people who “vote for religious freedom” which literally means their freedom to impose their religion on you. There is no redemption for them.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Jesus III posted:

Won't work anyway. If I'm an example of the average worker, I filled up right when I went in to isolation and still have 3/4 of a tank left. That's about a 16 times decrease in the amount of gas I use. I can't be the only person using WAY less gas. Cutting supply by 10 million barrels a day isn't going to do anything to save fracking. I don't think they need 90 dollar a barrel oil to be profitable anymore, but it's got to be way closer to 50 than 30. Not to mention, how exactly do you get US drillers to cut the rate? We don't have a national oil company or anything.

It's not what it does now, but what it does when everyone starts going back to work/looking for jobs. Gas prices are going to nail wallets right when people don't have anything in them.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Munkeymon posted:

nope!

it takes only two House members to require a floor vote, gutpunching the USPS via voice vote means at most only one Democrat objected to it enough to even want people to put their names to doing it

and it takes 60 votes to move something through the Senate if one party doesn't want it, Republicans had 55 Senators in the lame duck period

it passed because Democrats wanted it to pass, it passed in the lame duck because it would be bad politically for Democrats to be seen passing it after they formally took control of congress, it passed with a voice vote because they didn't want to put their names to it, and since most people don't understand parliamentary procedure most Democratic voters would be easily duped into thinking those big bad Republicans forced it through against Dem resistance. Which, apparently, worked fantastically.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

SocketWrench posted:

I know he's dump as a loving rock, but how in the great gently caress does this dumbshit think cutting production and increasing cost is going to make anything better?

I mean loving hell, he had what Bush had struggled for for years just dropped in his lap (lower gas prices) and he said "Nah" and threw it away

He wants SA and Russia to cut production so US energy companies can make more money because US production has already drained all the easy oil and it now costs us a bunch of money to keep going, so low crude prices are bad for us now.

The “correct” US energy policy now is high crude prices and low (read: subsidized) pump prices.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

I love how he thinks the feds are both the "backup" and states have the power and that the feds have the power and the states need to listen at the same loving time.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Trump is suing TV stations that run the "exponential growth" ad.

This is a suit he filed against a TV station in Rhinelander, WI.

https://twitter.com/JohnHendel/status/1249719601644081153?s=19

Here's the ad in question. Dont post it or share it with your friends because it might hurt Donny's feelings.

https://youtu.be/bkMwvmJLnc0

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Munkeymon posted:

lucy's gonna let you kick that football any day now

you just have to believe

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Paracaidas posted:

Any definition of consent that enables a sexual relationship between an intern and her boss(the President of the United States) is woefully lacking.

Then again, I suppose this falls under your Evil people do bad poo poo. If you hang out with evil people, there is a good chance bad stuff will happen to you theory of sexual assault, so I shouldn't be surprised.

It was clearly improper and I said multiple times on here that Clinton should have resigned. Trump bragged about sexual assault which is a crime that you go to jail for. The access hollywood tape and the Clinton scandal is not on the same level.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I know nothing will ever be done about it because it's so useful for bad actors, but the lame duck period is one of the most destructive flaws in the US constitution

that people who lose elections are still allowed to pass laws after even the weak public check of elections has been removed is utterly insane. I suppose the founders never considered that the rest of congress would go along with horrible bills proposed by the losers of an election, because they didn't foresee party politics and how advantageous it might be for the other party to let the losers take the blame for passing a bunch of horrible unpopular poo poo that the winning party also wants to do but dare not admit to

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So when the dipshit orders the country to reopen and the death toll spikes how long before it's shut down again?

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

mcmagic posted:

I just think those are bad comparisons. Duterte and Putin are brilliant politicians. You can compare Bolsonaro to Trump in that they are both obvious incompetent morons but Bolsonaro was pretty much installed in a judicial coup.

I also don't want to defend Clinton, he's a piece of poo poo, but a consensual affair and sexual assault aren't the same thing.

You are not following along here. I'm not comparing them as politicians, nor am I comparing their actions. I'm pointing out that political loyalists exist everywhere that ignore all the lovely things that "their guy" does. Saying "well they aren't doing the exact same things" or pointing out that they are not literally the same people does not at all disprove my point or what I'm talking about. There isn't some ceiling at which they break off.

People can claim that Trump has invented this phenomenon, but he didn't even do that. Putin was reshaping the Russian government around his power decades ago. Duterte was elected before Trump. There are countless despots throughout the 20th century all over the world. Even in the United States, there's been increasing levels of doublethink that people are willing to submit themselves to. Every new controversy was something that 10 years before would have been unfathomable to get away with.

Trump didn't invent corruption, cults of personality, or blind partisan loyalism. He didn't even invent it in the US. He didn't create a movement, a movement created him. He didn't get through the primaries by technicality, he was explicitly what GOP voters wanted.

SocketWrench posted:

Yeah, but this seems to hover around 40% - 48% of a whole country

I know that we live in a world were one week is a month, but that makes him one of the most unpopular presidents, historically.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 13, 2020

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Here's the ad in question. Dont post it or share it with your friends because it might hurt Donny's feelings.

“...third parties such as PUSA have no right under the Communications Act to command the use of broadcast facilities to air their advertisements.”

I’m no lawyer but it seems to me the Trump campaign is making a legal argument that directly contradicts Citizen’s United v. FEC.

I’m sure all pro-Trump Super PACs will immediately cease operations out of deference to his position in this matter.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

SocketWrench posted:

It's not what it does now, but what it does when everyone starts going back to work/looking for jobs. Gas prices are going to nail wallets right when people don't have anything in them.

Yeah, most drilling firms operate with very little actual money and lots of short term loans. Normal people may be hosed in the future, the oil business in the US is hosed now. Considering Trump said this is to help the energy sector, it aint gunna.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Xombie posted:

You are not following along here. I'm not comparing them as politicians, nor am I comparing their actions. I'm pointing out that political loyalists exist everywhere that ignore all the lovely things that "their guy" does. Saying "well they aren't doing the exact same things" or pointing out that they are not literally the same people does not at all disprove my point or what I'm talking about. There isn't some ceiling at which they break off.

People can claim that Trump has invented this phenomenon, but he didn't even do that. Putin was reshaping the Russian government around his power decades ago. Duterte was elected before Trump. There are countless despots throughout the 20th century all over the world. Even in the United States, there's been increasing levels of doublethink that people are willing to submit themselves to. Every new controversy was something that 10 years before would have been unfathomable to get away with.

Trump didn't invent corruption, cults of personality, or blind partisan loyalism. He didn't even invent it in the US. He didn't create a movement, a movement created him.

I know that we live in a world were one week is a month, but that makes him one of the most unpopular presidents, historically.

I don't disagree that he was a creation of the conservative movement but I still can't think of another politician that would have survived bragging about sexual assault on tape in the US.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

SocketWrench posted:

I love how he thinks the feds are both the "backup" and states have the power and that the feds have the power and the states need to listen at the same loving time.

Everything works exactly in the manner that he thinks it should work because he is the President King Emperor. Any time it doesn't is because of treason and deep state Democrats.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

i am harry posted:

Yes let’s not forget the people who “vote for religious freedom” which literally means their freedom to impose their religion on you. There is no redemption for them.

Of course the only reason America didn't end up with a state religion in the first place is because the colonies couldn't agree on which it should be.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

This is what that coal tycoon did to HBO and John Oliver. It's not so much to win, but to bury you in so much legal and financial trouble you give up

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

mcmagic posted:

I don't disagree that he was a creation of the conservative movement but I still can't think of another politician that would have survived bragging about sexual assault on tape in the US.

most americans don't give a poo poo about sexual assault hth

Sinister_Beekeeper
Oct 20, 2012

Well of course Bill Bennett is willing to gamble on it.

(too obscure?)

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Xombie posted:

Yeah, but those are amazing numbers for a president who has been as much of a fuckup as Trump

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

VitalSigns posted:

nope!

it takes only two House members to require a floor vote, gutpunching the USPS via voice vote means at most only one Democrat objected to it enough to even want people to put their names to doing it

and it takes 60 votes to move something through the Senate if one party doesn't want it, Republicans had 55 Senators in the lame duck period

it passed because Democrats wanted it to pass, it passed in the lame duck because it would be bad politically for Democrats to be seen passing it after they formally took control of congress, it passed with a voice vote because they didn't want to put their names to it, and since most people don't understand parliamentary procedure most Democratic voters would be easily duped into thinking those big bad Republicans forced it through against Dem resistance. Which, apparently, worked fantastically.

It takes 1/5 of members present to vote to demand a recorded vote after it's called for.

e: and R's could have built a quorum themselves if they wanted to, given the makeup of the chamber at the time.

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 13, 2020

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

mcmagic posted:

Anita Hill and Christine Blasey Ford can give you a few names of politicians who would have.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

SocketWrench posted:

Yeah, but those are amazing numbers for a president who has been as much of a fuckup as Trump

Yeah, but that's my point: It's not because it's Trump, it's because of who his supporters are.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Fox News, and Trump, have never really let go of the "just the flu/no big deal" messaging, instead their messaging is a constantly muddled shape shifting pile of bullshit that is impossible to pin down.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Xombie posted:

Anita Hill and Christine Blasey Ford can give you a few names of politicians who would have.

Also, not good comparisons. Judges are different since they are lifetime appointments.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

mcmagic posted:

Also, not good comparisons. Judges are different since they are lifetime appointments.

See previous explanation of how them not being literally the same person is irrelevant to the point about their level of public support. People making death threats to Hill and Ford weren't thinking "but what about the fact that SCOTUS judges are lifetime appointments?" while cutting out letters in magazines.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Conservatives are so loving petty and spiteful.

My office is swarming with these fuckers and the subject of increased UI payments came up. They were upset that a person who got fired in like February or something was eligible for the added $600. loving why? The gently caress do they care?

The argument got pretty heated with me aggressively pointing out how "you know it's impossible to even FIND a job right now, right?" and also pointing out that same people also likely lost medical coverage. It's $600/wk for a few months. Big loving deal. I think it's a GOOD thing especially since Florida's lovely unemployment is like $225/wk or something criminally low.

Also, they were bitching about welfare queens and having to pay for it but let it drop when I showed them that the average American pays $80/year to pay for welfare payments. God drat these people are just mean.

Also, I had a good idea for a thread: "Post Famous Movie Speeches as Delivered by Donald Trump" but not sure where to put it. GBS I guess? Except it'll get poo poo up there.

I'm picturing Quint's U.S.S. Indianapolis or City Council meeting speeches told through DJT's self serving, idiotic style about "the biggest most clever shark ever that killed more people than any shark in history" and I think goons could come up with some funny poo poo.

Suggestions?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
This is going to be Trump's biggest purity test yet. He will declare the country open, leaving Republican leaders and voters to make a choice: obey Trump or protect themselves and their family.

The right wing propaganda machine is poised to attack anyone who fails the test.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Promoted Pawn posted:

It’s not just that they don’t think they need the left to win, they literally view the left as a larger threat to them than the Republicans. They now prioritize winning their primaries over winning general elections. They’d rather shrink their power base to safe D states and districts and keep control over the party than surrender it to anyone else, because what’s the point of the party actually winning political power if they don’t control the party anymore?

AOC ‘prematurely’ ending the career of Pelosi’s chosen successor spooked the gently caress out of the party leaders.
"Safe districts" is an interesting complaint given that between AOC, Pressley, Tlaib, Omar, Jayapal(CPC cochair), and Pocan (other CPC cochair), only Pocan is in a district with a PVI under D+20 (a highly competitive D+18), and that the bulk of 2018's flips to provide the majority came from traditionally red/purple suburban districts.

As for "surrendering power", the CPC embodies ~40% of the Dem caucus and thanks to Jayapal's negotiation during the leadership elections, they have 40% of the seats on Appropriations, Energy, Ways and Means, Financial Services, Commerce, and Intelligence (aka the committees that matter to reps), for the first time in a long time- including, unusually, most of those notable freshmen.

VitalSigns posted:

since most people don't understand parliamentary procedure
Something that, as Munkeymon noted, you're doing a stellar job of demonstrating.

Just to recap-- a right wing idiot on Twitter posts some inaccurate bullshit about how the Dems were the ones who hosed the USPS over Republican objections. It's explained that he's lying and the vote he references was for a different, compromise USPS bill that didn't contain the language loving everything up now and was so objectionable to the GOP that it was DOA in Mitch's Senate despite making it through the Republican house. Instead, a different bill was passed with GOP support during the lame duck. This somehow proves Dems Bad, because... they did such a good job in opposition that the resulting bill had to get killed after passage in favor of the GOP mess we see today :confused:

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, I had a good idea for a thread: "Post Famous Movie Speeches as Delivered by Donald Trump" but not sure where to put it. GBS I guess? Except it'll get poo poo up there.

I'm picturing Quint's U.S.S. Indianapolis or City Council meeting speeches told through DJT's self serving, idiotic style about "the biggest most clever shark ever that killed more people than any shark in history" and I think goons could come up with some funny poo poo.

Suggestions?

Independence Day president speech, Braveheart freedom speech and Every Given Sunday coach D'Amato speech would be great ones to spoof.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Munkeymon posted:

It takes 1/5 of members present to vote to demand a recorded vote after it's called for.

e: and R's could have built a quorum themselves if they wanted to, given the makeup of the chamber at the time.

And it only takes two to call for it

OK so you agree that the bill passed with Democratic cooperation in both houses then?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Shocking

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1249557944640954369

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Paracaidas: was Democratic cooperation required to pass that bill into law, and did Democrats provide that cooperation?