Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I went with the Discover It Miles card last year and my 1 year reward (all miles doubled) kicks in first week of May. I was hoping I could talk them into putting off the reward for another year since I won't be doing any traveling this year, but no dice after I asked earlier this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Unless you have some other reward scheme or they've changed it recently, you should be having the miles you've earned from the first year doubled and rewarded to you on your anniversary, and they don't expire so it shouldn't matter if you don't travel year two, they'll still be there in 2021.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I know that. I just wanted them to put off the reward for another year since I won't be traveling this year. That way, when reward time comes they'd be doubling 2 years worth of miles, not just 1. Wishful thinking.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I need a new credit card for stupid reasons.

My main grocery store's card readers are wearing out-- chips work about a third of the time, and swiping the card doesn't work if the reader realizes it has an EMV chip. The terminals do have NFC payments working still.

(I asked when they were due to be replaced and apparently there was a plan to start switching them out this spring, but that COVID-19 has thrown all that up in the air.)

Neither my current debit card nor my credit card do NFC payments or can be put into Google Pay, so I want one that can do at least one of those.

I'd been thinking about getting a new credit card anyway-- before COVID-19 I traveled at least twice a year, usually Southwest, and I was thinking it would have been nice to have some points towards those miles. My current credit card also doesn't have any perks besides the usual Visa car rental insurance, extended warranties, etc. (It was what was available to me 18 years ago in college.)

Now with COVID-19 I might not be doing my usual travel for at least 2 more years, so I don't know if a miles card or a cash back card would be better. Or since a lot of my shopping is at Target, if I should just get a RedCard and forget about the rest.

Would like non-Visa just in case their network goes down again, as my other cards are Visa.

So... thoughts? My credit score is excellent.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

First thought is a Citi Doublecash. It's a Mastercard, and you get essentially 2% back on everything (1% when your statement closes, and 1% when you pay the balance).

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

effika posted:

My main grocery store's card readers are wearing out-- chips work about a third of the time, and swiping the card doesn't work if the reader realizes it has an EMV chip. The terminals do have NFC payments working still.

(I asked when they were due to be replaced and apparently there was a plan to start switching them out this spring, but that COVID-19 has thrown all that up in the air.)

Neither my current debit card nor my credit card do NFC payments or can be put into Google Pay, so I want one that can do at least one of those.

I'd been thinking about getting a new credit card anyway-- before COVID-19 I traveled at least twice a year, usually Southwest, and I was thinking it would have been nice to have some points towards those miles. My current credit card also doesn't have any perks besides the usual Visa car rental insurance, extended warranties, etc. (It was what was available to me 18 years ago in college.)

Now with COVID-19 I might not be doing my usual travel for at least 2 more years, so I don't know if a miles card or a cash back card would be better. Or since a lot of my shopping is at Target, if I should just get a RedCard and forget about the rest.

Would like non-Visa just in case their network goes down again, as my other cards are Visa.

Do what we do, sign up for all the reward cards

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Goon Credit Card random referral page:
:siren:https://goo.gl/aA5mzH:siren:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

effika posted:

saintonan posted:

First thought is a Citi Doublecash. It's a Mastercard, and you get essentially 2% back on everything (1% when your statement closes, and 1% when you pay the balance).

Note that last I heard, Citi Mastercards have to be used with a (working) chip terminal before the NFC interface activates.

It's not a bad card to have overall. For groceries especially there are a good few options; the first non-Visa that comes to mind might be an Amex Blue Cash Everyday (or Preferred, but that one has an annual fee, requiring a decent amount of annual grocery spend to be superior to the Everyday)

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
I was under the impression that 3 failed attempts at using the chip would allow a card to be swiped, but maybe that's reader/store specific and not a property of the card.

If you do take Jerk's advice (why not?), even though it's a Visa, I would suggest going with a Chase Freedom first because of their 5/24 rule, then Discover IT, Cash+, Ducks Unlimited (if you drive), and an Amazon card if you have prime to get the 5% cards out of the way.

Blue Cash Everyday is my grocery card when Discover IT isn't on groceries, but your particular Target may not code as groceries. If you spend a lot at Target the Red Card is a good choice, I think. 5% off is slightly better than 5% cashback, in my opinion.

Double Cash is a good card for everything you don't have covered elsewhere.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Girbot posted:

Ducks Unlimited (if you drive) 5% card
No longer gives 5% on gas as of this month

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
drat, that's too bad. I had the NRA card and they switched us to PenFed Platinum which is 5x points @ $.0085/point redemption value. Was going to get Ducks Unlimited sometime in the future but I guess this will end up being my gas card, after all. Turns out the decision of FNBO to drop the NRA card was more than just the backlash last year.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 13, 2020

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.
If you have a Costco membership, the Costco Citi card is good for gas. The yearly rewards cycle kind of stinks, and you get Citi customer service, but 4% for gas ain't bad - especially since it works at Costco, and most cards with a gas bonus only give it for ordinary fuel stations and not the places attached to grocery stores.

The card's actual tap-to-pay implementation is good, too (unlike all the "premium metal" cards).

Girbot posted:

Turns out the decision of FNBO to drop the NRA card was more than just the black-lash last year.

:stare:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Sub Rosa posted:

Man gently caress they didn't even send me any notification. At least Barclays gave months notice when they hosed up the Uber card.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

:thunk:

That explains the odd correction suggestions.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Girbot posted:

I was under the impression that 3 failed attempts at using the chip would allow a card to be swiped, but maybe that's reader/store specific and not a property of the card.

If you do take Jerk's advice (why not?), even though it's a Visa, I would suggest going with a Chase Freedom first because of their 5/24 rule, then Discover IT, Cash+, Ducks Unlimited (if you drive), and an Amazon card if you have prime to get the 5% cards out of the way.

Blue Cash Everyday is my grocery card when Discover IT isn't on groceries, but your particular Target may not code as groceries. If you spend a lot at Target the Red Card is a good choice, I think. 5% off is slightly better than 5% cashback, in my opinion.

Double Cash is a good card for everything you don't have covered elsewhere.

Oh, the terminal says to swipe, but it has never worked once per the cashier (or my experience) after it can't read the chip.

The other cards do look more useful outside of Target. I like the idea of either the Amazon card or the Amex or Citi DoubleCash. Any opinions on customer service or if the apps are any good?

I keep seeing Discover IT card recommendations and it seems to have some Amazon ease of use. Any opinions on that one versus the others?

Space Gopher posted:

If you have a Costco membership, the Costco Citi card is good for gas. The yearly rewards cycle kind of stinks, and you get Citi customer service, but 4% for gas ain't bad - especially since it works at Costco, and most cards with a gas bonus only give it for ordinary fuel stations and not the places attached to grocery stores.

The card's actual tap-to-pay implementation is good, too (unlike all the "premium metal" cards).

:stare:

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

effika posted:

Oh, the terminal says to swipe, but it has never worked once per the cashier (or my experience) after it can't read the chip.

The other cards do look more useful outside of Target. I like the idea of either the Amazon card or the Amex or Citi DoubleCash. Any opinions on customer service or if the apps are any good?

I keep seeing Discover IT card recommendations and it seems to have some Amazon ease of use. Any opinions on that one versus the others?

I have the Synchrony Amazon card because I used to shop a lot on Amazon, I may be canceling my Prime membership because the cost went up past the point that I find it valuable, but the card will continue to get me 3% which is better than the 2% I'd get from the Double Cash or my 2% Fidelity card, so there will still be value there.

I don't have much experience with customer service on most cards. Although, just today I had to call Citi because I cancelled my autopay on the day it was going to process and there was lag between my balance going to 0 and the payment showing up. Getting to a human through their auto-labyrinth was a headache and eventually was told that the wait time is too long because of COVID and told me to call back and hung up on me. I used the online chat and waited around for a couple hours hitting the "I'm still here" button multiple times to prevent the login from timing out but was eventually assured that my auto-payment will process today by 5pm because I cancelled it too late (which is fine, just wanted to be sure it will be paid on time by some method). If you do ever need to call anyone though - https://www.dialahuman.com/

I called Discover about 2 years into my account asking if they had any offers for existing members and was given the option of lowering my APR (useless for me), 0% APR period for purchases, or a 0% APR/$0 fee period for Balance Transfers, which I made use of by pooling the balances on all my cards and making some money in a high-yield checking account and auto-paying the minimum balance for the 12-month term of the deal. So that was a nice perk for a quick phone call.

Discover IT and Chase Freedom are often suggested because 5% cashback is very nice little bundle of savings and the two rarely have the same categories overlapping. Discover IT also matches the cashback after the first year effectively making it 10%.

Discover IT/Amazon often have a promotion where using even a single point from your card will save you $10 - $20 on your purchase. I believe there are other cards with similar promotions, but I don't know specifically which.

I don't do much banking on my phone but the few times I have the apps from every card I have served their purpose, but maybe others have some better input here.

One note about the Double Cash is that you're not eligible for the second half until after your statement closing, so don't pay down your balance until then or you'll only earn 1%. (This may have changed, I haven't tried for a long time)

As for which to get. Take a look at your spending and get the card which will net you the most. Or get multiple cards, if your score is healthy and you don't have a lot of inquiries already. I'll reiterate though, that if you do plan to min/max your wallet to start with Chase because of their 5/24 rule (5 cards opened within a 24 month period = auto-denial).

Additionally you can take a look at the sign-up bonuses spreadsheet maintained by Doctor of Credit (Nevermind, this isn't maintained anymore but this page is) if you have future purchases which will trigger them and the referral bonuses spreadsheet maintained by Jerk McJerkface posted above, or a combination of both, to help you decide which is most lucrative for you at the moment.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 13, 2020

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Girbot posted:

One note about the Double Cash is that you're not eligible for the second half until after your statement closing, so don't pay down your balance until then or you'll only earn 1%. (This may have changed, I haven't tried for a long time)

You can pay it whenever and it's fine.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

astral posted:

You can pay it whenever and it's fine.

Cool. Noted for the future.

RE: Apps

Just to add to this, every card mentioned so far integrates with Personal Capital. Only issue I have is with my Synchrony, Bank of the West, and First Tech cards not showing up on the Bills page, but they're all on auto-pay anyway. Capital One is super finicky with their MFA and will ask for a code more often than other cards.

I don't have a Target Red card, but I checked under "Add Card" and it's listed there, as well.

If your main use for the apps would be keeping an eye on your transactions/balances I can't recommend Personal Capital enough.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Thanks everyone! I will see where I actually spend the most money and make a decision based on that. Good to know there are a couple of solid cards to choose from.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Sub Rosa posted:

Just as a personal update, I checked the current T&C on my account and it appears I'm still at 5% for gas, with no messages about any change. I guess they have to give fair notice.

I'll keep rolling with it and double checking my statements until such time as they change on my end. The language on the new application website is definitely changed already to reflect 1.5% rewards.

E- spelling

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 14, 2020

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
My statement ends around this time for my main card, and it's about half of what it was the month before, and just over a third of what it was two months before.

That's both fantastic for my personal budgeting but *holy poo poo* for the economy.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I missed the minimum spend on my US Bank Altitude by $100. I forgot that the annual fee didn't count towards the minimum spend, and was passively including it when reviewing all my bills. I missed out on 50k points, though the customer service rep gave me 5k for my troubles. There's still a $325 travel credit for the $400 annual fee I paid, but how am I going to use that by December? I wonder if gift cards count...

This is the second time I've done this, I missed the minimum spend on a Platinum AA card by like $20 a few years ago. Don't be like VorpalBunny, don't get sloppy with your minimum spends!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

That's harsh. Always spend more than the requirement + AF + some margin for potential returns.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I know Amex extended their promotional minimum spend period but it doesn't look like anyone else did. I missed my Capital One Savor $3,000/3 month spend by a full $1,000. 4% at bars and restaurants isn't super usable during quarantine.

I guess I'll be downgrading to the 3% Savor Cash after 12 months.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I know Amex extended their promotional minimum spend period but it doesn't look like anyone else did. I missed my Capital One Savor $3,000/3 month spend by a full $1,000. 4% at bars and restaurants isn't super usable during quarantine.

I guess I'll be downgrading to the 3% Savor Cash after 12 months.

Chase did for cards opened Q1.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ugh Capital One loving me again

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

General credit card question. I canceled an order with a place I ordered online from, and it's been almost two weeks since they told me they'd give me my refund. Can't I just do a chargeback on my credit card and get a refund that way? Is there a reason I shouldn't do that?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

General credit card question. I canceled an order with a place I ordered online from, and it's been almost two weeks since they told me they'd give me my refund. Can't I just do a chargeback on my credit card and get a refund that way?

Probably worth a second call in case they made an honest mistake.

quote:

Is there a reason I shouldn't do that?

They have to pay a fee when you initiate a chargeback; if this is a company you want to do business with again in the future, they may not be as excited to do business with you.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Amara posted:

You know, several months ago I asked this thread what credit card reward to churn through next, and got recommened the southwest companion pass?

Well, I now have a southwest companion pass! During a time when it's completely unusable. Alas.

Update on this: you get up to an extra 6 months.

quote:

For our current Companion Pass Members, we are extending your current earned Companion Pass benefits through June 30, 2021.

astral fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 17, 2020

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

astral posted:

Probably worth a second call in case they made an honest mistake.

This is post-second call (or email, in this case).

quote:

They have to pay a fee when you initiate a chargeback; if this is a company you want to do business with again in the future, they may not be as excited to do business with you.

They're a company that turned out to be real scummy and sell subpar equipment, so I have no intention of ever using them again.

Sounds like I'm in the clear to do a chargeback.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I think I've reached true adult status, I usually keep my CC below 30%, and have a Capital One Quicksilver and a Discover It Cashback card, and paid for what ended up being a $700 cost to play for my inspection sticker on my car with the quicksilver (because 1.5% cashback vs 1%). I get the stimulus check tomorrow, will zero out the card, and then focus on spending down the remaining sub $600 on the other card once paycheck hits this friday, and I'll still have money budgeted aside (due to using YNAB) for my other required expenditures.

I also hover over a 700+ credit score.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 20, 2020

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

True adult status is never carrying a balance

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sub Rosa posted:

True adult status is never carrying a balance

I mean, that's the plan soon, I've recently gone through a rough divorce :(

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Actual adult status is juggling 0% APR and balance transfer offers to cover fixes on your money pit of a house.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Just a heads up, but I just got a notice Amex cut one of my credit lines in half. They did this before during '08-'09. Not the end of the world or anything, but they're known to do this. I expect them to do the same to my other Amex card before the next statement cuts. They're one of the more aggressive lenders to do this.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I had a three dollar credit sitting on the Amex card that I don't use anymore, and a couple days ago Amex took the credit away. No explanation why. I considered calling them up to ask, but for three dollars :effort:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

I had a three dollar credit sitting on the Amex card that I don't use anymore, and a couple days ago Amex took the credit away. No explanation why. I considered calling them up to ask, but for three dollars :effort:

Keep your eyes on the mail for a check in that amount. If you leave a credit long enough, that's what usually happens.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

astral posted:

Keep your eyes on the mail for a check in that amount. If you leave a credit long enough, that's what usually happens.

I got a $1.84 check from them in the mail this week for my Cash Magnet card that I signed up for last year and ignored after the signup bonus.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Paid my AMEX Blue cash everyday card, and they were offering $150 (on $1000 spend) to upgrade to Preferred. Looked at my annual spend and even before COVID we were pretty well over the ~$3200 annual break even. Very well over the last couple months...

So I went ahead and did that. Exciting. If First Bank pulls the rug from under me with my 5% at gas stations Ducks Unlimited card like I expect will eventually happen, it will also add some value @3% there. I also noticed that AMEX has a lot of offers that are free for cash back at a variety of vendors and stores, some that I already use anyway. Some that I don't but appear pretty lucrative ($90 for $495 spend at GoPro.com). Maybe something to keep an eye on if you have an AMEX, I never really looked at these before.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So I messaged Chase (their phones aren't taking calls) to see if I could get a credit on Chase Sapphire Preferred card since I can't use it for travel so it's kind of useless. I asked if I can get a refund on the fee, or if I close the account will I get a refund. They responded by closing my account. I specifically said in the email "please don't close it, I'm just checking on my options".

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon
May 8, 2006
Death To Ming

angryrobots posted:

Paid my AMEX Blue cash everyday card, and they were offering $150 (on $1000 spend) to upgrade to Preferred. Looked at my annual spend and even before COVID we were pretty well over the ~$3200 annual break even. Very well over the last couple months...

So I went ahead and did that. Exciting. If First Bank pulls the rug from under me with my 5% at gas stations Ducks Unlimited card like I expect will eventually happen, it will also add some value @3% there. I also noticed that AMEX has a lot of offers that are free for cash back at a variety of vendors and stores, some that I already use anyway. Some that I don't but appear pretty lucrative ($90 for $495 spend at GoPro.com). Maybe something to keep an eye on if you have an AMEX, I never really looked at these before.

I've had pretty good luck with the Amex offers. What's really cool is they appear to have MR variants for most of the cash back options - for example, I had 10k MR for the same GoPro spend that you found.