Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
:allears:

I didn’t know VS could take a turn that tight that smoothly.

Edit: Absolutely terrible snipe. Have some cats.

DreamingofRoses fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SocketWrench posted:

Goddamn, shut up. We put up with Nic Cage/movie/turd shower stuff, shut up. Dems bad, we get it

I really don't understand this violent emotional reaction to what are really mundane, boring, and very obvious facts.

The Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006 passed the senate with unanimous consent, that is just what happened. We could just acknowledge it and move on, Democrats consented to the bill Republicans designed to destroy the post office, and now we're staring down the barrel of what that means. That is just what happened.

But apparently we can't, there's just this interminable tantrum about acknowledging some simple facts about what happened and why, we want so much for this fantasy about valiant Democratic resistance to be true, even though it is patently false,

All you have to do is stop quoting me pointing out these facts, and the subject will be dropped, but yall can't do it, you just have to go down swinging with denials. It's incredible to see.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

VitalSigns posted:

Bernie, like all American politicians, is Bad. He is a war criminal and a mass murderer, just by his 2001 AUMF vote alone he would on trial at the Hague in a just world

the only reason people support him is that our hosed up electoral system imposes dreadful compromises on anyone who wants to work within it, and one of those compromises is that nearly everyone in politics is a war criminal.

Bernie is much better than most politicians, so much better that compared to them he looks like he is almost good, but he is still very very bad, and if you don't know that, it's time to learn how the world works.

so what is the best candidate than?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

The pure leftist spirit that lives inside my heart, apparently.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I guess the last head in the guillotine is always your own right?

Being a pure contrarian must be exhausting

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

VitalSigns posted:

And it only takes two to call for it

Irrelevant because of what I pointed out.

quote:

OK so you agree that the bill passed with Democratic cooperation in both houses then?

No, you haven't shown as much. There are three possibilities here:
  • Cooperation: enough Dems wanted to do this for whatever reason? Maybe I missed where you articulated one.
  • Indifference: not enough Dems cared to go in and stop it.
  • Disorganization: what's the one about not being a member of an organized political party?
and all you do is assert that because it happened that it must have been cooperation. Seems not unlikely, actually, but your assertion doesn't mean much to me and that's all you're providing.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Yeah Biden gets his failsons jobs in other countries instead

I'll take that over this administration.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Fallom posted:

That was a fast transition to "Well actually, Bernie was always a loser."

Same happened in 2016. Bernie loving his country and working to make it better even when it's not by his first choice is the only thing about him some of his followers can't accept. Don't worry, some of them will be back demanding that the superdelegates and/or Electoral College coronate him anyway. If only.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

bird cooch posted:

not everyone views disagreement with "when you're famous, you can grab them by the pussy, you can do anything" as contrarianism

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

bird cooch posted:

I don't understand what you mean

The 2001 AUMF was a war crime, at least by the standards we applied at Nuremberg anyway. That really isn't debatable.

So unless you're arguing we were too hard on the Nazi officials charged with starting unprovoked wars of aggression, I'm not really sure what your objection is to what I said.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/Ad_Inifinitum/status/1249179481832599555

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/MorningConsult/status/1249779817958068226
https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1249784008579350528

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SLOSifl posted:

I made this a few weeks ago:

:cool:

even the imgur url is /DonmwhP.jpg, I imagine mwhP! is the sound he makes when he's turning those levers he had installed in Resolute Desk.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Munkeymon posted:

Irrelevant because of what I pointed out.
You pointed out that it takes 1/5 of the Members to pass a motion for a floor vote, so unless you're arguing that 80% of House seats were held by Republicans, it's an interesting detail, but irrelevant to the point. If you are arguing that Republicans held an 80% majority in 2006 then you are just factually incorrect, sorry.

Munkeymon posted:

No, you haven't shown as much. There are three possibilities here:
  • Cooperation: enough Dems wanted to do this for whatever reason? Maybe I missed where you articulated one.
  • Indifference: not enough Dems cared to go in and stop it.
  • Disorganization: what's the one about not being a member of an organized political party?
and all you do is assert that because it happened that it must have been cooperation. Seems not unlikely, actually, but your assertion doesn't mean much to me and that's all you're providing.

1 and 2 are effectively the same, there's no real moral distinction between voting for a bad bill because you want it to happen versus voting for a bad bill randomly because you don't care. Disorganization is ruled out because the bill passed the senate with unanimous consent.

None of this bizarre quibbling changes the facts, you're just playing games, the same kind of deliberate obtuseness Republicans resort to defend poo poo Trump says and does "oh but you can't look into his heart so who can say if his intentions were good or bad". Who cares, I care about results.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

McNaughton's brain is far more diseased than Ben Garrison's.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

it is incredible to me how long it took for people to realize that Susan Collins isn't a "good" Republican

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, I had a good idea for a thread: "Post Famous Movie Speeches as Delivered by Donald Trump" but not sure where to put it. GBS I guess? Except it'll get poo poo up there.

I'm picturing Quint's U.S.S. Indianapolis or City Council meeting speeches told through DJT's self serving, idiotic style about "the biggest most clever shark ever that killed more people than any shark in history" and I think goons could come up with some funny poo poo.

Suggestions?

Put it in PYF

Also, Trump does the Col. Jessup speech from A Few Good Men, but after "you're god drat right I did" the judge shrugs and says "Well, it looks like there was a crime here, but a sitting president cannot be charged, only impeached."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

lol at Biden being in the lynch mob

you can literally campaign for Republicans, and even run a presidential campaign around "hey the president is doing a great job, no need to change anything jack" and Republicans will still hate you

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

I don't understand what you mean

The 2001 AUMF was a war crime, at least by the standards we applied at Nuremberg anyway. That really isn't debatable.

So unless you're arguing we were too hard on the Nazi officials charged with starting unprovoked wars of aggression, I'm not really sure what your objection is to what I said.

How on Earth is it not debatable? And how did we get to Nazis? Nobody is defending the 2001 authorized use of military force. But by those standards......what? We are all born of original sin? What's the point?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

The fact that it's just an accepted thing that the president's daughter and son-in-law get to do important Government Things now is... I don't loving know. It's something.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's time to rewatch The Big Lebowski.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/JeffreyGuterman/status/1249758746294784000/photo/1

quote:

In his last known in-person service on March 22, Bishop Gerald O. Glenn got his congregation at Richmond’s New Deliverance Evangelistic Church to stand to prove how many were there despite warnings against gatherings of more than 10 people.

“I firmly believe that God is larger than this dreaded virus. You can quote me on that,” he said, repeating it a second time to claps, saying that “people are healed” in his church.

Happily announcing he was being “controversial” by being “in violation” of safety protocols — with “way more than 10 people” at the church — he vowed to keep his church open “unless I’m in jail or the hospital.”

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

God was not willing...

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

That's nice to see. I'm sure people will remember these when both get re-elected in landslides this November.

Are ANY Democrats going to be able to survive their upcoming bloodbath this time? Will they even have 100 people in the House?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Death comes at you fast.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

This is one way to get me to believe in God, by it having a sense of humor and spite.

Now if there could be the ONE time that a McDonalds/diet coke/adderall snorting daily diet would do it's natural thing......let me know where my tithes would have to do cause goddamn that's service!

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

OhDearGodNo posted:

What sucks is that this will get completely buried and forgotten.

https://twitter.com/natashabertrand/status/1249767978448625665?s=21

So the next time the US military gets into a shootout with the Wagner group in Syria the Wagners could literally be assisted by Erik Prince. I'd love to see the PMC Chuds wrap their head around that one.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Bernie endorsing Biden wouldn’t have bothered me just like when he endorsed Clinton four years ago, but doing it right after the NYT decides to pick up the Reade story looks pretty bad.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

The Angry Bum posted:

That's nice to see. I'm sure people will remember these when both get re-elected in landslides this November.

Are ANY Democrats going to be able to survive their upcoming bloodbath this time? Will they even have 100 people in the House?

Hell yeah, pass that poo poo man, that’s the good stuff, the brain damage stuff

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

Bernie endorsing Biden wouldn’t have bothered me just like when he endorsed Clinton four years ago, but doing it right after the NYT decides to pick up the Reade story looks pretty bad.

I would think that especially with the Sanders campaign being shopped the story early on they have done a ton of due diligence.

At least I would hope so.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
What part of Bernie's platform was especially concerned with violence against women?

In 2016 he literally referred to women's rights as "a distraction".

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I'm not really sure how much sense that question makes because I don't believe in the Great Man theory of history. The history of political change is the history of mass movements. Candidates don't just drop out of the sky and change everything, they're a product of social forces.

Americans place roughly zero value on foreign lives, meanwhile very powerful elements in our society make a ton of money off murdering foreigners, therefore the path of least resistance is for nearly all our politicians to be mass murderers and war criminals, and nearly all of our elections a contest between more or less odious killers (or often, between more and more odious killers). That won't change until Americans' values change. No politician is going to somehow make us care about dead Arabs.

But I think you're asking me how I personally will vote, so this belief of mine is probably why I will end up voting for the Democrat (even though I live in a red state and my vote mathematically does not matter), because as neoliberal policy has destroyed the middle class along with our manufacturing base, and has immiserated the working class, labor organization and activism is on the rise, and the Democratic Party is (due their history and makeup) more susceptible to influence from labor unions than are the Republicans.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pick posted:

What part of Bernie's platform was especially concerned with violence against women?

In 2016 he literally referred to women's rights as "a distraction".

No he didn't.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Yes he did. Just freaking look it up.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

bird cooch posted:

How on Earth is it not debatable? And how did we get to Nazis? Nobody is defending the 2001 authorized use of military force. But by those standards......what? We are all born of original sin? What's the point?

OK I don't see how we disagree.

We agree that the 2001 AUMF is an indefensible war crime. The inescapable conclusion then is everyone who voted for it is a war criminal.

Yes, this is nearly all of our politicians who were in office at the time. If it makes you incredulous that our entire political class is composed of war criminals, I'm not sure why. America commits unbelievable amounts of war crimes and slaughter regardless of who is in office (obviously, more crimes and more flagrant crimes under Republicans), how could we commit that many crimes without a political class of unrepentant war criminals?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

lol the president and head of the party of small government is declaring himself above the governors of their own states

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pick posted:

Yes he did. Just freaking look it up.

I wouldn't have said "No he didn't." if your post was accurate.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

VitalSigns posted:

lol at Biden being in the lynch mob

you can literally campaign for Republicans, and even run a presidential campaign around "hey the president is doing a great job, no need to change anything jack" and Republicans will still hate you

The literal Republican presidential candidate from less than a decade ago is in the mob.

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

paternity suitor posted:

Hell yeah, pass that poo poo man, that’s the good stuff, the brain damage stuff

So where does the Biden campaign produce voter confidence and enthusiasm for their candidate? There isn't any. And this will affect the ballot all the way to to bottom. Meanwhile the other side is more enthusiastic and motivated than ever before. The pandemic is DESTROYING Democrats all over. All of these Democrat governors passing Stay-at-home orders will find themselves out of office very quickly, either by voting, resigning or outright removal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/jakesherman/status/1249793158310920197?s=21

They’re just loving dissolving themselves in the middle of a major crisis. So Trump is basically an absolute monarch now just from the lack of any other standing federal institution?

FuturePastNow posted:

At the risk of being reminded that we haven't had a mattering yet, if the USPS shuts down that might be the first thing that causes our senior citizen citizenry to realize they've been hosed over. Fox News can tell them anything it wants, that's not going to hide the fact that the mail's stopped coming and going. It'll gently caress over every small business (still in) existence, too.

Fox News will tell them that the post office was actually always bad because NEVER MADE A PROFIT and GOVERNMENT PENSIONS and SOMETIMES THEY WERE LATE. The old viewers will accept every word of it. When anyone tries to tell them anything good about the USPS they will dismiss it as liberal mainstream media propaganda. And that will be the end of it.

America’s domestic propaganda works on enough people to eternally prevent any and all mattering.