Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Mr Interweb posted:

so we now control the SC?

No, but it's 4-3 instead of 5-2. It also means that if any of the conservative justices retire, Evers gets to appoint their replacement, flipping the court.

e:

https://twitter.com/DogSolutions/status/1245737429446901765?s=20

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Acebuckeye13 posted:

No, but it's 4-3 instead of 5-2. It also means that if any of the conservative justices retire, Evers gets to appoint their replacement, flipping the court.

Are any of them dinosaurs?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mr Interweb posted:

so we now control the SC?

No. Still 4-3 Chuds.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Wasn't this a similar concern about an ideology gap when JFK picked LBJ to deliver Texas?

Forgive me if my history is wrong.

I don't think it's comparable. The spectrum wasn't the same back then and I don't think LBJ was viewed as as much of a liberal (at least in terms of domestic policy) as he ended up being as president when he was in the senate.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Glad the republicans managed to both look like the biggest assholes on the planet and still loving lost. It was a complete lose-lose situation for them.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

Can you explain a bit more?

So Wisconsin went to Trump in 2016. But Wisconsin itself doesn't have many electoral votes, just 10 and Hillary lost by 77 electoral votes.

The important thing is that the high turnout and big win for Dems - despite an attempt at voter suppression - is indicating a general trend for purple states in 2020 that they'll go Dem. Is that your main point?

E: it seems obvious, but if we have different assumptions of the "obvious" it can lead to miscommunication.

He won Wisconsin by a greater margin (0.77%) than Pennsylvania (0.73%) or Michigan (0.23%)

Assuming those three states are correlated if he's in trouble in Wisconsin, he's in deep trouble with all of them

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Are any of them dinosaurs?

The current Chief Justice, Patience Roggensack, is 79. She'll probably just wait out the end of her term in 2023, though.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Trumps total is just barely ahead of Biden on his own

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Acebuckeye13 posted:

drat. better, but i was hoping we'd control it - for obvious reasons but not least of it to - unfuck the gerrymandering.

also, there is a zero percent chance any of the chuds retire while a demoncrat is in office, sadly.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1249852726516867072

Trump won WI by 23k votes in 2016. He's in big trouble there.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Acebuckeye13 posted:

e:

https://twitter.com/DogSolutions/status/1245737429446901765?s=20

Am I tripping or is that dog sitting among brussel sprouts and scallions crazy small???

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

mcmagic posted:

Looks like the democrat won.

She won. It was called.

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1249846755660832774

Huge own goal for the Republican WI SC and the SCOTUS.

Trump is finished. None of the swing states are in play if Wisconsin has swung this hard

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

osker posted:

Am I tripping or is that dog sitting among brussel sprouts and scallions crazy small???

Nah those are bundles of leeks and cabbages

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Medullah posted:

Trump also mentioned that he's going to have a committee of religious leaders because "you've seen what's been going on with the churches". I'm sure it will be a multi-faith initiative, and he'll totally respect the separation of church and state.

chris butler's time to shine

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
For the record @DogSolutions is low-key my favorite account on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/DogSolutions/status/1233428371041853440?s=20

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The press is noticeably pushing back more and more at each conference.

The orchestra is playing with a wee bit more gusto at each degree of deck tilt.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

while on the subject of WI, will evers be able to have any sway for redistricting next year or no?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Evers being in charge is a pretty substantial change from 2016, and there's ample reason to believe that Walker's fuckery made up (and potentially doubled) Trump's margin of victory

quote:

According to the study’s author, University of Wisconsin-Madison political scientist Kenneth Mayer, that finding implies that between 12,000 and 23,000 registered voters in Madison and Milwaukee—and as many as 45,000 statewide—were deterred from voting by the ID law. “We have hard evidence there were tens of thousands of people who were unable to vote because of the voter ID law,” he says.

This would be the sort of difference that frustrates the "if one state, then others too" model of political prognostication.

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal

TulliusCicero posted:

Trump is finished. None of the swing states are in play if Wisconsin has swung this hard

Long rear end time to go, but yeah. If he loses WI, then he almost certainly loses MI and PA and the election.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Otteration posted:

The orchestra is playing with a wee bit more gusto at each degree of deck tilt.

They found Trump trying to escape to the boats dressed as a woman and now he's appealing to his authority.

He's lucky this isn't the 1800s, someone would've challenge him to a duel by now.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

It must terrify the GOP that Democrats risked their health/lives to stand in line for hours to vote

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

TulliusCicero posted:

Don't get too confident. We thought he was done when the Access Hollywood tape dropped 3 weeks before the election and here we are.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

TulliusCicero posted:

I'm glad for these results but projecting this distorted mess of an election in the middle of a pandemic to November seems unwise. It's a good sign but turnout was way off

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

It must terrify the GOP that Democrats risked their health/lives to stand in line for hours to vote

Oh hell yes. They severely underestimated our resolve. Democats. Are. Pissed.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Looks like people on Twitter are saying the chud that just lost in WI will now unrecuse himself and rule on purging 200k people from the rolls before he leaves office.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FBS posted:

I'm glad for these results but projecting this distorted mess of an election in the middle of a pandemic to November seems unwise. It's a good sign but turnout was way off

sure but it does show trumps not in a good place at all that they lost this bad in this kinda of circumstances.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Oh hell yes. They severely underestimated our resolve. Democats. Are. Pissed.

exactly, they are tired of this bullshit circus and being at the whims of loving dumb monster chuds who gas light and abuse. gently caress em.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Looking forward to Biden picking a popular Senator from a purple state to bolster his ticket and then being shocked when he can't get anything passed by the Republican that replaces his VP.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

FBS posted:

This election was more favorable to republicans which is why they forced it to happen and they still lost.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Unoriginal Name posted:

Looking forward to Biden picking a popular Senator from a purple state to bolster his ticket and then being shocked when he can't get anything passed by the Republican that replaces his VP.

i think he will pick a rep or someone some such. who knows.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

mcmagic posted:

This election was more favorable to republicans which is why they forced it to happen and they still lost.

they would have won if they had just stayed quiet about it. instead they did this gross poo poo and trump got involved. now this happened. gently caress em.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Wisconsin will be what Florida was in 2000 in terms of determining the election.

Florida will be what Florida was in 2000 in terms of determining this election.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think he will pick a rep or someone some such. who knows.

It's klob or abrams. outside chance of harris.

Bottom Liner posted:

Florida will be what Florida was in 2000 in terms of determining this election.

nah florida is gone.

Georgia on the other hand.....

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer
‘Absolute Clusterf–k’: Inside the Denial and Dysfunction of Trump’s Coronavirus Task Force
rollingstone.com/April 13, 2020
"Missed warnings, conflicting messages, and broken promises — how the White House fumbled its response to the worst pandemic in a century"
"If you were to write a playbook for how not to prevent a public-health crisis, you would study the work of the Trump administration in the first three months of 2020. The Trump White House, through some combination of ignorance, arrogance, and incompetence, failed to heed the warnings of its own experts. It failed to listen to the projections of one of its own economic advisers. It failed to take seriously what has become the worst pandemic since the 1918 flu and the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression. And when the White House finally awoke to the seriousness of COVID-19, the response it mustered managed to contain all the worst traits of this presidency. Trump and his closest aides have ignored scientists, enlisted family members and TV personalities and corporate profiteers for help, and disregarded every protocol for how to communicate during a pandemic while spewing misinformation and lies."

Florida should social distance until a vaccine exists — even if it’s next year, surgeon general says
tampabay.com/3 hours ago
"Floridians will be keeping their distance and wearing face masks for up to a year until a COVID-19 vaccine exists, Florida Surgeon General Scott Rivkees said Monday before being whisked away by the governor’s spokeswoman."

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

High oil prices are a net good for the US and Trump's voters. You can make 100,000+ with an HS degree as a Driller. Doesn't happen at low oil prices. So if oil hit 100 a Barrell Trump's basically saved the country's energy sector by having OPEC curb production.

**i am anti oil I am just stating facts to better interpret the manuevers**

Also anyone who mentions invading Iraq for oil wka we need oil hasn't been paying attention to US goal #1 since 1970s. This goal is to end foreign need for oil and we accomplished that goal a few years ago.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Hate this state a bit less today

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

FizFashizzle posted:

It's klob or abrams. outside chance of harris.

nah florida is gone.

Georgia on the other hand.....

Trump won Florida by only a hair more than a percentage point, and that was before Felony Re-enfranchisement. Personally, I think Biden actually has a solid chance of swinging the state.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

High oil prices are a net good for the US and Trump's voters. You can make 100,000+ with an HS degree as a Driller. Doesn't happen at low oil prices. So if oil hit 100 a Barrell Trump's basically saved the country's energy sector by having OPEC curb production.

**i am anti oil I am just stating facts to better interpret the manuevers**

Also anyone who mentions invading Iraq for oil wka we need oil hasn't been paying attention to US goal #1 since 1970s. This goal is to end foreign need for oil and we accomplished that goal a few years ago.

Isn't rigging work still boom/bust because of the nature of commodity prices? There's a benefit to the US being energy independent, but it's not like riggers are known for sound financial planning.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
https://www.ft.com/coronavirus-latest
ft.com/2 hours ago
"Europe became the focal point of coronavirus in early March when the disease spread rapidly across the continent. Italy soon became the country hardest hit by Covid-19 after China. After weeks of strict lockdown, Italy is on the verge of turning the corner and the rate of deaths is beginning to decrease. The US, however, is still in the acceleration phase."

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Brony Car posted:

Isn't rigging work still boom/bust because of the nature of commodity prices? There's a benefit to the US being energy independent, but it's not like riggers are known for sound financial planning.

Yes. But 2 good years of Oil is worth 4 - 8 years of a regular job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/pwcdanica/status/1237140216323989504?s=20

https://twitter.com/amaxsmith/status/1249342590274670592?s=19

https://twitter.com/amaxsmith/status/1249343189133209600?s=19

https://twitter.com/amaxsmith/status/1249085396207783936?s=19

https://twitter.com/amaxsmith/status/1249072570328125440?s=19

https://twitter.com/marcussimon/status/1248968003087147010?s=19

https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1248787829968297985?s=19

https://twitter.com/amaxsmith/status/1248810822001983488?s=19

https://twitter.com/Lopez4VA/status/1248690496383455232?s=19

https://twitter.com/amaxsmith/status/1248687918132199429?s=19

https://twitter.com/amaxsmith/status/1249360185963012099?s=19

Long list of embeds, but I though yall might like a looksee on what Virginia has been up to lately.

Wisconsin is also proof that when people get in the trenches and start working inside their state for better things, amazing things start happening.

Also, Mckayla Wilkes is still primarying Steny Hoyer and he doesnt seem to notice that she is actually a threat. If you want to make real change, go volunteer to phone bank for her.

https://www.mckayla2020.com/

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 14, 2020