Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

nessin posted:

Learned my lesson not to be overconfident with lisks. Had a tax patrol come by and cleaned out a whole section of the map after some hefty losses, so I thought I'd reclaim a lot of it by walling it in. Got most way done but then a bunch of eggs hatched. After killing 7 or 8 small lisks I had to run and heal up from nearly dying to the acid. By the time I was healed and could afford to go out again the lisk hatchlings which I'd run from, another 5 or 6, became full grown and now I've got a big pack of lisks just outside my base.

Edit:
Whelp, eventually lost it all. Titanboa came by and had a conflict with the lisks which cleared most of them out. I had one left to kill which I did then cleared out the nearby eggs. Right as I picked up the last eggs four full size lisks aggro'd from way farther than was reasonable. They chased me into my base and my last defense door was only wood, maybe one might have stopped before it tore it down but with three beating on it fell quickly and they overwhelmed me.

The lisks also might have just been hungry and been on there way towards you. The "Being hunted" pop up does not always proc until they are fairly close so its sometimes hard to tell.

This of course was real fun on extra large artic maps where I thought Id be fine from artic scags or monster hunter dragons because id have enough reaction time but welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

FairyNuff posted:

They do get some visual differences like snouts beaks, ears and tails.

hell yeah, i'll give it a try then!

right now i am trying out rimworld of magic. I have a necromancer + his friends who live in a cave in the arid wastelands. a trade caravan got murdered by megaspiders (???) so the necromancer raised them as skeletons, and now the skeletons are growing and refining crack to sell.

edit: this has backfired horribly, the necromancer is addicted to crack now

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 13, 2020

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

juggalo baby coffin posted:

right now i am trying out rimworld of magic. I have a necromancer + his friends who live in a cave in the arid wastelands. a trade caravan got murdered by megaspiders (???) so the necromancer raised them as skeletons, and now the skeletons are growing and refining crack to sell.

this is the modded rimworld experience

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Did they change something with the latest patch regarding beating fires out? I've lost my whole harvest to dry thunderstorms twice now in my latest settlement, because even three pawns can't beat out the fire fast enough.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't know what things were like before because I just started playing but fire seems to be involved with 90% of my failed colonies. It also tanks the framerate hard.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Are there ways to increase performance? My game tanks right when things are getting good and I have nearly bottomless basic resources:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Buy a CPU with a higher clock speed. Not much else you can do.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Smaller map with less plants and laying out the base to minimize pathing.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah map size has the biggest impact on performance. Pathfinding is #2, you can try settling on flat terrain instead of hills or mountains, or in a biome with fewer animals.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

So Rim of Magic is a pretty great at mod and I would never disparage something so labor intensive that was provided completely free, but its assets are... not great. Has anyone made any alternate art packs for it?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Is there a mod that fits somewhere between Complex Jobs and Vanilla? I turned off complex jobs to see if I really needed it and for the most part all I really miss is the harvest vs plant cut distinction and just wondering if there is something out there that doesn't blow out the work tab quite so much as Complex Jobs.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

So Rim of Magic is a pretty great at mod and I would never disparage something so labor intensive that was provided completely free, but its assets are... not great. Has anyone made any alternate art packs for it?

i'd like that too. i'd do it myself but i dont know how to do the rimworld art style, if it was classic pixel indie stuff i could do it, i made some sprites for dungeonmans

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
The lone sniper is no longer alone.

Last night a tribal raid came in early in the morning... early enough the jungle was starting to wake up, hungry for breakfast. A huge horde of beasts descends on the raid and proceeds to rip and tear. There's fire everywhere, people are getting eaten, it's glorious. It ends up with one badly wounded tribal woman fighting two wounded lisks with a loving knife, her back to the mountain. She fights them forever. Her health tab is like 8 pages long with bruises, cuts, and stabs. But... she wins! Then she starts to run away, gets a few steps from the mound of corpses, and collapses, bleeding out in 3 hours.

Bah. Just another raider. But a brave one... maybe... I take a look at her. Sanguine. Tough. Kind. This is no bloodthirsty barbarian, just another poor person trapped on this hellworld, and Longshot wasn't going to leave her to bleed out after she refused to give up against those lisks. He whistles for Bouffant, and tears out the gate to try and save this strange woman, "Orange."

He gets halfway across the map and sees a bad, bad message: A Tyrannosaurus Rex is hunting Longshot for food!

Uh oh. That rex is between Longshot and home now, and as marshy and gross as the jungle is it might actually be able to intercept him before he can get past it. Things just got much more dangerous. No time for that now! Longshot reaches Orange, stabilizes her wounds. The rex is getting closer. Longshot throws Orange over Bouffant's back and starts to mount up. No time, the rex is too close! Longshot chambers a round in his anti-material rifle and fires!

Gunshot: Anti-material rifle (bleeding out in 7 hours)

Well, that's good, it will die after eating both of them. It's too close to get off a second shot, but there's some clear ground nearby. If Longshot can stay ahead of it and get there, his arcotech legs might give him the speed to open up enough distance for another shot. Legs pumping, he sprints off, the rex roaring behind him. Reaching the edge of the cleared ground, he spins, sights, fires again...

Headshot! Brain: destroyed. The mighty rex topples, a .50 cal hole through its skull. Longshot marks it for retrieval by hauling bot and rides back through the jungle, bound for home and a stint as Doctor Longshot.

Two weeks later, Orange is recovered, and asks to join the colony. A bit of crafting later, the lone sniper has been joined by the lone druid. I didn't expect her to join, since they all hate my guts so loving much, but her entry to the colony was just too cool to kick her out. The next raid to come try the Nest is going to have a lot of really, really angry animals to deal with while they struggle through the briars and .50 cal rounds knock people's heads off their necks.

Anyone play with the mod "Improved Infestations?" I saw it yesterday on the workshop and am thinking about a 3-man space marine start with the crashlanded mod into an infested tile and see if I can retake the map. Also, does anyone know if the level V bots from Misc. Robots are capable of crafting legendary items, or does that require a colonist?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

my necromancer got so badly addicted to crack that his kidneys started failing so i tried to detox him, but he went absolutely apeshit and broke into the storage and took all the drugs he could find and started having a heart attack. my base has been almost entirely staffed by the living dead and researching mainly magic stuff, so there are really no medical facilities or skills to speak of.

extremely fortunately, in a blessing from Cassandra Classic, a caravan showed up from the magic city nearby and had a scroll of Lich Form, which I traded a large amount of crack for. My necromancer ascended to lichdom in the middle of a massive heart attack brought on by a drug frenzy, so not quite the glorious ascension i pictured, but it did save his life. Kind of.

but he's still addicted to crack

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

my necromancer got so badly addicted to crack that his kidneys started failing so i tried to detox him, but he went absolutely apeshit and broke into the storage and took all the drugs he could find and started having a heart attack. my base has been almost entirely staffed by the living dead and researching mainly magic stuff, so there are really no medical facilities or skills to speak of.

extremely fortunately, in a blessing from Cassandra Classic, a caravan showed up from the magic city nearby and had a scroll of Lich Form, which I traded a large amount of crack for. My necromancer ascended to lichdom in the middle of a massive heart attack brought on by a drug frenzy, so not quite the glorious ascension i pictured, but it did save his life. Kind of.

but he's still addicted to crack

This is why you take their legs off for the duration of their rehab.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

gently caress all these posts make it sound like i need to get into this game

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

queeb posted:

Modding in Rimworld is a massive rabbit hole that you can jump down to more or less completely transform the game. The default gameplay isn't bad though, and probably is a better place to start before you start adding in some minor quality of life mods, followed later by the more major overhauls that add entirely new systems and more complexity.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Trebo was always cool

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Dirk the Average posted:

Modding in Rimworld is a massive rabbit hole that you can jump down to more or less completely transform the game. The default gameplay isn't bad though, and probably is a better place to start before you start adding in some minor quality of life mods, followed later by the more major overhauls that add entirely new systems and more complexity.

I'm 60 hours in and just starting to mod a little. The vanilla experience has been amazing so far.

Any recommendations for the vanilla but more mod experience?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The Vanilla Expanded series, Sparkling Worlds, Giddy Up, Rim Fridge, Psychology, Hospitality, Animal Logic, Deep Storage.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dubs Bad Hygiene also, very vanilla like, almost feels like part of the base game.

If you then want to get a bit more adventurous in that vein you can add rimefeller and rimatomics by the same author which have cross compatibility with hygiene.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

In addition to the above, Dub's Mint Minimap, Numbers, Color Coded Mood Bar, Replace Stuff, and Allow Tool are great quality of life mods to help better parse data and do actions. Double Population is great if you want a larger colony. Animal Tab, Work Tab, Medical Tab, Blueprints, Relations Tab, Pharmacist, and Colony Manager are all in a similar vein, with only Colony Manager adding new buildings. Colony manager is great, as for a minor cost in labor or power, you can have your colonists do things like manage your animal populations (automatic taming, training, zoning, population control...), automatically cut more wood, hunt, etc. without you having to go out and mark those things manually. EDB Prepare Carefully is also nice if you want to do a custom start, make specific pawns to start, or do some sort of interesting gimmick in that you can completely customize your starting pawns and items.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Rimfeller feels pretty vanilla and is imo basically vanilla expanded, rimatomics is not in both function and art style but why would you not want to build dangerous gen 2 reactors and nuclear missiles?

Recently during my first nuclear strike on a mechanoid cluster I forgot to switch the warhead from high yield to tactical and oh boy was it something.

Leveled my entire late game all steel mega-base save a few walls, blew both my nuclear reactors and instantly killed all but two of my 20 colonists, who had they survived their burns and injuries probably would not have lasted long since all the MOPP suits were burnt up.

It is fun to send a couple soldiers in MOPP to the edge of a map and drop a nuke on the other side of a pirate base just to see the devastation. I’d drop one on a rim city but I don’t know if my computer can handle that.

Also, thank you all for the recommendations for efficiency- are there any good guides on how set up stockpiles and production layouts to reduce hauling and ease off my cpu? In games like dwarf fortress it never becomes the pathing mess that it does in Rimworld.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

queeb posted:

Rimworld belongs to a small pantheon of games, like Caves of Qud or Battle Brothers, where the absurd width of possibilities for things to go wrong leads to emergent narratives that are actually memorable and not just procedurally generated lists of events or whatever. If the stories in this thread interest you then you really can't go wrong with this game, it's very easily in my top 10 games of all time list and I say that as someone who is a bit concerned because I have played every single goddamn videogame ever and there is almost nothing I can find that's new and fresh for me. It's my #2 most played game of all time on Steam behind only Path of Exile which I put 800 hours into and never want to touch again.

I have probably reinstalled Rimworld more than any other game in existence, every time I get bored of it I find myself wanting to play it again a month or two later. The last game to do that to me was the first Dark Souls :shrug: It's been the only game I've kept returning to over and over for the last 7 years.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 15, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

For me it's also like, you can just keep adding mods to it. It's so modifiable even just through things like the scenario editor that it's basically the only colony management game you really need? You can wangle it into any theme you like or even say gently caress themes and just throw everything into it at once. The act of setting up what sort of game you want to play is itself a kind of creativity, the game is a story generator and you have so many options to set the parameters of the story, combined with the depth of simulation where every little aspect of the world feeds into how you characters feel and act, while remaining functionally very simple to play.

There are other games that do all of the parts of it, but there is no other game that puts them all together in such a smooth way. It is a game that has refined the genre down to a near perfect balance of its essential parts and then gives you the option of expanding it back out in whatever direction you want. The basic game is very well designed but I definitely think it is the decision to make it so modifiable and the massive amount of collaborative work that has gone into the mods that really make the game shine. It's a great game on its own but the mods make it something else.

Even down to things like the art style which is nice enough to look at while also being simple enough for anyone to make functional assets in. It all feeds into that.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 15, 2020

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

:eyepop:

deep dish peat moss posted:

I have probably reinstalled Rimworld more than any other game in existence, every time I get bored of it I find myself wanting to play it again a month or two later. The last game to do that to me was the first Dark Souls :shrug: It's been the only game I've kept returning to over and over for the last 7 years.

legit, same.

OwlFancier posted:

For me it's also like, you can just keep adding mods to it. It's so modifiable even just through things like the scenario editor that it's basically the only colony management game you really need? You can wangle it into any theme you like or even say gently caress themes and just throw everything into it at once. The act of setting up what sort of game you want to play is itself a kind of creativity, the game is a story generator and you have so many options to set the parameters of the story, combined with the depth of simulation where every little aspect of the world feeds into how you characters feel and act, while remaining functionally very simple to play.

There are other games that do all of the parts of it, but there is no other game that puts them all together in such a smooth way. It is a game that has refined the genre down to a near perfect balance of its essential parts and then gives you the option of expanding it back out in whatever direction you want. The basic game is very well designed but I definitely think it is the decision to make it so modifiable and the massive amount of collaborative work that has gone into the mods that really make the game shine. It's a great game on its own but the mods make it something else.

Even down to things like the art style which is nice enough to look at while also being simple enough for anyone to make functional assets in. It all feeds into that.

So, I gently caress around with roguelikes a lot, and before Rimworld came out I was messing around with Cataclysm (which btw, if you like ascii roguelikes it's worth a look). Rimworld is all exactly that level of insanity with the same moddability and consistency wrt to assets, but just... hits the spot. It's hard to describe.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 15, 2020

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Rimfeller feels pretty vanilla and is imo basically vanilla expanded, rimatomics is not in both function and art style but why would you not want to build dangerous gen 2 reactors and nuclear missiles?

Recently during my first nuclear strike on a mechanoid cluster I forgot to switch the warhead from high yield to tactical and oh boy was it something.

Leveled my entire late game all steel mega-base save a few walls, blew both my nuclear reactors and instantly killed all but two of my 20 colonists, who had they survived their burns and injuries probably would not have lasted long since all the MOPP suits were burnt up.

It is fun to send a couple soldiers in MOPP to the edge of a map and drop a nuke on the other side of a pirate base just to see the devastation. I’d drop one on a rim city but I don’t know if my computer can handle that.

Also, thank you all for the recommendations for efficiency- are there any good guides on how set up stockpiles and production layouts to reduce hauling and ease off my cpu? In games like dwarf fortress it never becomes the pathing mess that it does in Rimworld.

uh immediately post these mods please and tia

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

HiroProtagonist posted:

uh immediately post these mods please and tia

Rimatomics does all that. It also adds more turret replacements, like Tesla Coils and Obelisks of Light from the Command and Conquer games. Playing with it, Rimafeller, and some vanilla stuff, you get some cool progression where you start out with some basic power to spin up to oil, then use the oil to get large chemfuel generators to produce enough power and materials to get the nuclear stuff up and running. Once you're on nuclear, you take apart all of the old chemfuel generators and use oil purely for producing goods while beefing up your defenses with some of the cooler Rimatomics stuff. In the super lategame once your reactors start generating plutonium, then you can start launching nukes at enemy bases and even at raids on your own map if you desire.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
poo poo, i have never hosed with that set of mods yet somehow.

God I love this game.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

i didnt trust my bumbling skeletons to not accidentally kill the necromancer by loving up the surgery super bad

to test out my lich's new powers i had him uncork one of the ancient dangers (i got like 3 on the mountain caves map i picked). a pikeman immediately blew a hole through his torso and destroyed his stomach outright, but being a lich it wasn't a big problem. using his EMP nade launcher and magic spells he took out nearly all the mechanoids, until on the last two pikemen he ran out of mana and had to call for skeleton backup. one of the skeletons got immediately domed and died again and rotted out in the sun for a few days while the lich regenerated enough mana to revive him, but the others managed to spear the dumb mechs to death.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HiroProtagonist posted:

poo poo, i have never hosed with that set of mods yet somehow.

God I love this game.

Rimatomics is good fun cos it gives you a lot of late game stuff to fiddle around with up to and including ICBMs.

Rimefeller is also good but I think it kind of trivializes a lot of the game cos it's easy to set up and is actually easier than rimatomics to get basically infinite power out of, plus near infinite high end materials too. I wouldn't recommend it without something that adds more of a challenge. Rimatomics is highly OP but you have to put a lot of work in to get there.

The two do go well together though because the coloured composite walls and lino floors make a really nice modern facility look.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Rimefeller is definitely kind of OP but only in the way it gives large amounts resources rather than things to really do with them so how strong it is depends a lot on the rest of your mod loadout.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I really like playing with the Ceramics mod

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1833163132

It's OP as poo poo. Build fireproof buildings out of dirt, build everything you can out of porcelain for the magnificent beauty and value bonuses.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
You can always just sell the basically-infinite resources that Rimefeller throws at you to basically take whatever you want from every trader, but it's hardly the only mod to do that.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Even with a fairly extensive refining setup, I still find myself mostly selling high-volume drugs. As long as you can keep your weed and poppies safe for their growing period, just add minimal pawn labor plus supplies and time for a caravan and print cash value. We do have an autoclave to cure plasteel in, but with pack muffaloes and later an SRTS vessel coming back loaded down with plasteel, components, and bionics it doesn't see too much use ~

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

so far im not sure how i feel about Pawnmorpher. it just seems to turn my pawns into furries rather than any kind of cool cronenburg thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Rimwololord: Stockholm Syndrome Simulator