Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
lol the Philadelphia DA just made it impossible to prosecute anyone by saying that any trip to jail comes with a high risk of contracting a possibly fatal virus. I expect a million constitutional claims of cruel and unusual punishment and demanding immediate release of all prisoners in the morning.

https://twitter.com/DA_LarryKrasner/status/1249751161504227329?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Telsa Cola posted:

A goon somewhere on the forums does water infrastructure poo poo in Socal and can likely correct me but you can get hilarious amounts of water back if we just redirected all the water from the nut orchards in the central valley.

its true. guillotine the agribusiness nut farmers first. hell even the smaller farms are increasingly owned by tech bros now, bored and thinking they can increase yields with arrays of sensors and poo poo (i.e., keep paying others to actually manage and work the land and donate to the right people to keep sending them water)

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
if I get 1200 bucks I will not balkanize for one (1) day

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Water pipeline from BC duh

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

FAUXTON posted:

god that's dumb

Was it like 2 years ago that wholesale power hit something insane like 9 grand a MWh?
I dont know I just touch the computers I don't energize them

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

fellxs, can we bring back rail? :thunk:

:thunk:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

oxsnard posted:

Yeah they'd be pretty powerful, although you could dry out southern California's water supply pretty easily

The Northeast has no food, the southwest hss food but no water

The Midwest stands tall and strong , immune to all threats as it replenishes its thirst from the world's largest freshwater lakes and replenishes its food from world class former prairie turned soil

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Consummate Professional posted:

if I get 1200 bucks I will not balkanize for one (1) day

lol if trump cuts off stimulus for people in those states

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Stereotype posted:

lol the Philadelphia DA just made it impossible to prosecute anyone by saying that any trip to jail comes with a high risk of contracting a possibly fatal virus. I expect a million constitutional claims of cruel and unusual punishment and demanding immediate release of all prisoners in the morning.

cool thats great thanks larry

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Stereotype posted:

The only real nullification crisis is going to be about interstate travel though. While straight up balkanization might be unlikely, regional travel restrictions are absolutely going to be a thing as red states have explosive growth in cases while blue states effectively eradicate the virus and start trying to open things back up.

Hawaii is already trying to figure out what we are going to do since there are almost no new cases here but also we can't just let people back in.

tourism industry collapses and hawaii gov't has to implement UBI to keep the peace as it turns into a state whose only major industries are finance and military poo poo

hornt up to see real estate speculators get hosed and rents stabilize to not insane levels. maybe it will do a singapore and bail out particularly bad condo investments to turn into public housing? jk, they're gonna deport everyone that can't get a job in the brave new paradigm

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

Marzzle posted:

tourism industry collapses and hawaii gov't has to implement UBI to keep the peace as it turns into a state whose only major industries are finance and military poo poo

hawaii: pirate hub?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Someone just needs to get to trump and convince him that UBI, healthcare, and legal weed would make him the most popular president of all time. Hell, he could condition those things on hotels getting a massive subsidy and no one would care

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Marzzle posted:

They've been trying to add a third leg to our economic chair for decades and I imagine they are scrambling right now trying to figure out how to retool the entire state economy to take advantage of the fact that we will be virus-free first.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

mastershakeman posted:

The Northeast has no food, the southwest hss food but no water

Upstate NY is largely farmland

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

not an endorsement posted:

hawaii: pirate hub?

it's a pirate hub for the USA federal government. If that some how vanished it'd have a massive arsenal of nukes and prob do the bidding of whatever remnant of US authority it could find to obey

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

shovelbum posted:

the different parts of the us are much weaker individually and no one part is incredibly better than the others, in fact the privileging of nyc/bay area for being THE CENTER OF THE ECONOMY in so much liberal wank just glosses over the fact that a huge portion of the coastal city economy is the fake loving service/finance economy where we all sell weird financial products to each other, or tech ad bullshit scam economy

balkinazation, but as a service, on the cloud, it's a subscription model. that's my elevator pitch

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Stereotype posted:

They've been trying to add a third leg to our economic chair for decades and I imagine they are scrambling right now trying to figure out how to retool the entire state economy to take advantage of the fact that we will be virus-free first.

organic farming for all the restaurants for all the oh poo poo wait

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

FAUXTON posted:

also it's gonna be run by Feinstein or maybe the pomegranate people

my wasteland gang is called the grenadiers

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Marzzle posted:

organic farming for all the restaurants for all the oh poo poo wait

I think it's going to be "silicon island" though i don't know how well that will work.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

power word- Jeb! posted:

Jeb! and the wonderful grenadiers

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Stereotype posted:

I think it's going to be "silicon island" though i don't know how well that will work.

outsourcing the big project from san fransisco to honolulu to save big

I mean maybe if tourism and land speculation just totally dies and cost of living gets to a reasonable level then yeah I could see tech taking off more seriously.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

power word- Jeb! posted:

Do we get to wear those fancy hats.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Stereotype posted:

also snake free since idk forever

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Oh god what if Bezos refuses to ship Amazon goods outside of the West Coast Pact and Multi-State Council

Chuds in middle america are forced to buy Made in the USA products for the rest of their lives. It's what they always wanted!

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

FAUXTON posted:

also snake free since idk forever

the actual advantage hawaii has is a year round growing season but all the ag companies ended up in super controversial poo poo with anything they wanted to do so it'll prob never happen

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Telsa Cola posted:

Do we get to wear those fancy hats.

they make you look big and scary so fancy hats are mandatory actually

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

snoo posted:

laws don't loving matter anymore

awhoooooooo

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Stereotype posted:

Screenshotted

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

power word- Jeb! posted:

they make you look big and scary so fancy hats are mandatory actually

Sign me up.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Blockade posted:

If you don't find the us balkanizing through sheer incompetence at the federal level after everything funny in at least the cosmic sense, I don't know what to tell you

yea this, except I actually don't want the states to break up I just want trump to not be around anymore

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

not an endorsement posted:

aquaculture is the future

we will be subsisting on diets of purely seaweed, seabugs and responsibly farmed fishies

yes, our diets will consist of:
- sea weed
- regular weed
- sea bugs
- regular bugs

that is the future, embrace it

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Ruggan posted:

- sea weed
- regular weed
- sea bugs
- regular bugs

We've worked so hard but it's finally here!!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Telsa Cola posted:

A goon somewhere on the forums does water infrastructure poo poo in Socal and can likely correct me but you can get hilarious amounts of water back if we just redirected all the water from the nut orchards in the central valley.

correct. there's the central valley water project which diverts shitton of shasta and sierra water to a bunch of multinational nut farmers and mega-ag corps; it's run by the feds and basically given pennies on the acre-ft of water to mass-flood and state doesn't have control over that. state has the state water project which is good but also lots get sent to mega-ag farmers. most norcal water is sitting pretty well for residential/commercial use even for drought times, and would be more than enough for normal-human-consumption agricultural use if it farming used actual modern farming techniques, cover, and recapture

unfortunately muh profits are more important so it's still just mass-flood-the-lands methods because it's still cheap to pump bazillion gallons from central valley aquifiers and let feds give you zillions for pennies

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Ruggan posted:

yea this, except I actually don't want the states to break up I just want trump to not be around anymore

balkanizing is just west coast libs fantasizing about how they're weighed down by the idiot actions of the rest of the country but pretty sure they're every bit as evil as every other hell state

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Xaris posted:

correct. there's the central valley water project which diverts shitton of shasta and sierra water to a bunch of multinational nut farmers and mega-ag corps; it's run by the feds and basically given pennies on the acre-ft of water to mass-flood and state doesn't have control over that. state has the state water project which is good but also lots get sent to mega-ag farmers. most norcal water is sitting pretty well for residential/commercial use even for drought times, and would be more than enough for normal-human-consumption agricultural use if it farming used actual modern farming techniques, cover, and recapture

unfortunately muh profits are more important so it's still just mass-flood-the-lands methods because it's still cheap to pump bazillion gallons from central valley aquifiers and let feds give you zillions for pennies

tactical almond reserves

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Marzzle posted:

balkanizing is just west coast libs fantasizing about how they're weighed down by the idiot actions of the rest of the country but pretty sure they're every bit as evil as every other hell state

we're going to live in a libertarian dystopia if we secede so i'm not exactly excited for this

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Marzzle posted:

the actual advantage hawaii has is a year round growing season but all the ag companies ended up in super controversial poo poo with anything they wanted to do so it'll prob never happen

Dole absolutely ruined Lanai by tilling a ton of black plastic into the soil. Someone tried to do ranching there but all the cows died because they kept eating all the plastic.

The real reason there isn't any ag here is because cost of living is too high and so it isn't economically feasible when you can just do it somewhere else for a tenth of the labor costs.

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Marzzle posted:

boring, unexciting, uncreative take not conductive to worldbuilding

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Ruggan posted:

- sea weed
- regular weed
- sea bugs
- regular bugs

LOL if you think rich people are going to put up with this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

anime was right posted:

we're going to live in a libertarian dystopia if we secede so i'm not exactly excited for this

pretty sure the USA is on record as "blood in blood out" and there's no way the federal government will stop itself from using military force to preserve the union