Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

big scary monsters posted:

It makes a lot of sense to reopen kindergarten and allow children to get infected, because like the expendable retired they aren't economically productive in any case and kindergarten staff are worthless without children to teach. Actually most people don't reach their highest earnings until their fifties, so we might as well send everyone below that age back to work as normal; sacrificing them in the name of keeping the real drivers of the economy safe is just smart governance. Honestly just execute anyone with an income below 10 million NOK per year, that should increase both average earnings and GDP per capita plenty and put Norway well ahead of the curve in terms of economic recovery. Someone give Erna my number, I've figured it all out.

I know you are not serious, but I've read articles by people who seriously are in favor of reintroducing ættastupet in order to save the economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Now they're officially advising children from COVID-19 confirmed households not to return to school. I mean, good, but it seems kinda arbitrary at this point.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

SplitSoul posted:

Now they're officially advising children from COVID-19 confirmed households not to return to school. I mean, good, but it seems kinda arbitrary at this point.

Because the 4 largest municipalities forced their hand by being sensible (and taking any opportunity to reduce the number of children they have to accommodate under guidelines which are physically incompatible with the buildings they have).

e: I don't think it's arbitrary, it's just health authorities trying to really hard to not set any precedent that medical or nursing home staff are allowed to stay home. Nurses with immunocompromised children are being told to work with corona patients - "because it's perfectly safe, and there's no risk if you just wash your hands, blah blah blah". Admitting that there is a risk would be rather embarassing at this point.

Some hospitals are now so low on masks that the cleaning staff are being ordered to not wear masks when cleaning beds and rooms previously inhabited by corona-patients. That's downright abusive and murderous. The socio-economic demographics of cleaning staff has without a doubt the highest number of risk factors.

PederP fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Apr 14, 2020

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
I live by the intensive care unit for Coronavirus servicing Stockholm, and the sirens are like every third minute. I've never heard anything like it.

Also, the Älvsjö sjukhus, which is set up for oxygen therapy for moderately serious cases still hasn't had to be opened.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

PederP posted:

I don't think it's arbitrary

No, but it certainly appears that way when they keep changing their guidelines. Really inspires confidence in those whose job it is to safeguard the health of the populace.

PederP posted:

The socio-economic demographics of cleaning staff has without a doubt the highest number of risk factors.

Indeed. The same is true for a lot of people who care for children.

I started a ressourceforløb recently. I'm very curious when they want me back to sit around with severely immunocompromised, multihandicapped sexagenarians with 200-page medical records.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sweden now have more deaths per capita than the US. I'm pretty sure that even if Sweden started to dig massgraves Tegnell would still claim that he's doing the right thing.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Alhazred posted:

Sweden now have more deaths per capita than the US. I'm pretty sure that even if Sweden started to dig massgraves Tegnell would still claim that he's doing the right thing.

i'm 100% sure that the yanks are severely underreporting the number of deaths etc

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Alhazred posted:

Per capita isn't really a good metric (it's useful at the upper hand but otherwise population just defines a soft upper bound). Tegnell is responsible for sweden having ~10x the fatalities of the other nordics, which does tell you what's going on.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Is it eing reported that way in Sweden? Are there any critics? You’d think all this death would cause some anger

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
The death toll in the US is being severely underreported, undercounted, and lowballed. We won’t ever know the true numbers, in all honesty.

Still doesn’t mean that Sweden isn’t consistently sticking dicks in beehives regarding this.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
I mean, to be fair so long as no hospitals are overrun and people aren't dying from lack of hospital beds rather than just the virus, Sweden's head start isn't gonna mean much a year from now. Speedrunning the virus makes as much sense as anything if we aren't getting a vaccine for a year, and no economy can tolerate the virus depression for a year.

Unless of course the recent panic is true and a good percentage of people don't build up immunity after infection in which case welp

That said would I want to be swedish? No.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

V. Illych L. posted:

i'm 100% sure that the yanks are severely underreporting the number of deaths etc
Yeah, 100%. IIRC, a recent story had them finding out that a private nursing facility had declined to inform the authorities of a coronavirus outbreak in their facility. Not sure whether it was revealed after residents started dying or what, but dead people don't get tested so even if all of them died they wouldn't count as part of coronavirus deaths. Then there's all the people who just stay home and try to weather this because they don't want to risk going to the hospital if they're not infected, or because treatment will bankrupt them, who end up dying at home. There's also stats coming out of NY that shows a 50% increase in mortality across the board, which doesn't sound great? Especially if deaths from traffic accidents and poo poo are down due to lockdowns.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

SplitSoul posted:

I started a ressourceforløb recently. I'm very curious when they want me back to sit around with severely immunocompromised, multihandicapped sexagenarians with 200-page medical records.

Sorry to hear that. It took several years for my wife to get førtidspension despite being severely handicapped by numerous auto-immune disorders. I feel like I got a bachelor's degree worth of law expertise from the amount of complaints I had to write. We finally won at ankestyrelsen after which the municipality simply said "that means we have to start over". I had to pull strings and talk to a higher-up in the administration to get the ruling followed.

I wouldn't wish for anyone to be stuck in that system. Especially at this time. Rumor is that jobcenters are being opened soon, and unemployment will be forced back in activation projects and regular bizarro interrogatoins at the centres. "Unemployment is up due to corona? TIME TO HARASS THE UNEMPLOYED AND MAKE NUMBER GO DOWN!"

I know two people who simply gave up and are no provided for by their partners, due to the cruelty and uselessness of the system. Meeting this system was the final blow that killed any faith I had in our welfare system. It's a giant lie. Social security is for the healthy and well-educated who can afford A-kasse membership and have the ability to game the system. Those actually in need get relegated to the second-class citizen system of kontanthjælp and ressourceforløb. It's a disgrace. Anyone who thinks Mette Frederiksen is awesome should remember what kind of regime she instituted during her time as minister of labor and employment.

The economic depression from this pandemic is going to get serve as an introduction to the inhuman and inefficient nature of our unemployment system. It's not even good from a capitalist point of view, as it doesn't improve labor supply or depress wages. It's purely a system designed to keep a certain kind of petty bureaucrat employed and busy. The unemployed are a cog in that machinery - they are absolutely neither the customer nor the product.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
My expat friends are freaking out about the A-kassa, since the AEA doesn't know poo poo about immigration, but still goes right ahead and says you can't receive A-kassa money as a non-EU/EES unless you have a permanent residence permit. Which doesn't seem correct.

What are the laws and förordningarna that govern whether or not you can get money from A-kassan?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Then there's all the people who just stay home and try to weather this because they don't want to risk going to the hospital if they're not infected, or because treatment will bankrupt them, who end up dying at home.

I guess without really thinking about it I had vaguely assumed that even the US government would step in to cover the costs of treatment of a pandemic. I realise now that that was stupid of me.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

A-kassa isn't that expensive is it? It's like 200kr a month here in Sweden and nets you 6 months of paychecks if you get hosed

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

I guess without really thinking about it I had vaguely assumed that even the US government would step in to cover the costs of treatment of a pandemic. I realise now that that was stupid of me.

the american government is entirely captured by business interests, and those interests are not keen on having a totally reliable multibillion revenue stream dry up. in the crisis they might manage it, but they've built a whole ideology around not providing healthcare which they have a hard time overcoming

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Fartbox posted:

A-kassa isn't that expensive is it? It's like 200kr a month here in Sweden and nets you 6 months of paychecks if you get hosed

I’m in unionens and I think I get 10 months :thunk:

fnox
May 19, 2013

I just realized I'm in more than one. Should I just cancel one over the other? It's either that or I'm in both Unionen and Jusek but only actually using one of their a-kassan.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Heads up: Unionen won’t auto enroll you in their a-kassa if you’re a member despite other unions apparently doing so!

Here’s hoping I won’t be fired in the next three months.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

the american government is entirely captured by business interests, and those interests are not keen on having a totally reliable multibillion revenue stream dry up. in the crisis they might manage it, but they've built a whole ideology around not providing healthcare which they have a hard time overcoming
Plus if the government does choose to pay, then it's gonna be medicare rates, not regular rates. Which will bankrupt a lot of hospitals. A lot of them are already close due to having to perform pandemic treatment rather the real than money makers, which is why many are cutting doctor (and I assume other) salaries by like 20%. Obviously profits can't go down, so sacrifices have to be made.

I think maybe they cover the cost of the test, which last time I saw it mentioned was like 3-4K dollars. Actual treatment is gonna run up to like 10-100 times that probably.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Alhazred posted:

https://twitter.com/CT_Bergstrom/status/1249480343968575488

interesting thread:

https://twitter.com/CT_Bergstrom/status/1249930293928030209

chart of deaths per 1m people vs number of days since 1 death/1m people, from here

sweden is doing pretty bad but not as disastrously as some. finland is the clear leader here - didn't even bother highlighting it because it's so low you can't really see the graph

e: same thing but with logarithmic y axis, plus finland:

careful with statistics, that poo poo is difficult as all hell

e2: wonder if the apparent flattening of the swedish curve in the last few days is an actual thing or delay in reporting becuse of easter weekend

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 14, 2020

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Plus if the government does choose to pay, then it's gonna be medicare rates, not regular rates. Which will bankrupt a lot of hospitals. A lot of them are already close due to having to perform pandemic treatment rather the real than money makers, which is why many are cutting doctor (and I assume other) salaries by like 20%. Obviously profits can't go down, so sacrifices have to be made.

Keep in mind that there’s also a difference between for-profit providers and non- profit. My mom works for the latter and this whole situation is an unfathomable nightmare. They ordered new vents in time prior to all of this, and then sent them off closer to Manhattan as they have far more critical patients than “riddled with senior citizens” and “immunocompromised cancer cluster survivors” Long Island.

At least 9/11 was one day with the goddamn attack. Beginning, end, aftermath, all comprehensible, even as a kid. This? I don’t know. It’s been not great, mentally.

At least I might get the relief money that goes straight to paying off my student loans :shepspends:

Might.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Today's press briefing was all about this, just kill me now.

https://twitter.com/grodaeu/status/1250049649714528258

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

Today's press briefing was all about this, just kill me now.

https://twitter.com/grodaeu/status/1250049649714528258
I'm offering my services as the Pandemic Czar for Sweden. I've used at least three weeks of "worldometer" data for my projections.

teen witch posted:

It’s been not great, mentally.
Yeah. Like, I feel like I'm doing fine, but I have this nagging feeling that that's just down to some terrible coping mechanism that I'm not even aware of. We are probably all gonna get some sort of disorder from this.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

PederP posted:

Sorry to hear that. It took several years for my wife to get førtidspension despite being severely handicapped by numerous auto-immune disorders. I feel like I got a bachelor's degree worth of law expertise from the amount of complaints I had to write. We finally won at ankestyrelsen after which the municipality simply said "that means we have to start over". I had to pull strings and talk to a higher-up in the administration to get the ruling followed.

I wouldn't wish for anyone to be stuck in that system. Especially at this time. Rumor is that jobcenters are being opened soon, and unemployment will be forced back in activation projects and regular bizarro interrogatoins at the centres. "Unemployment is up due to corona? TIME TO HARASS THE UNEMPLOYED AND MAKE NUMBER GO DOWN!"

I know two people who simply gave up and are no provided for by their partners, due to the cruelty and uselessness of the system. Meeting this system was the final blow that killed any faith I had in our welfare system. It's a giant lie. Social security is for the healthy and well-educated who can afford A-kasse membership and have the ability to game the system. Those actually in need get relegated to the second-class citizen system of kontanthjælp and ressourceforløb. It's a disgrace. Anyone who thinks Mette Frederiksen is awesome should remember what kind of regime she instituted during her time as minister of labor and employment.

The economic depression from this pandemic is going to get serve as an introduction to the inhuman and inefficient nature of our unemployment system. It's not even good from a capitalist point of view, as it doesn't improve labor supply or depress wages. It's purely a system designed to keep a certain kind of petty bureaucrat employed and busy. The unemployed are a cog in that machinery - they are absolutely neither the customer nor the product.

Sorry to hear about your wife. I was actually surprised at how eager they were to try and dispell their lovely reputation, emphasising recent changes and supposed improvements, outlining what your rights are and whatnot. You can even make a little money on the side without having it deducted now, but so far it's only a trial run and of course it needs to be rubberstamped by Ydelsesservice first. The coach dude is himself a flexjobber who's been through the system, and while that might seem like "barbers cutting each other's hair" type situation, I imagine it's vastly preferable to the alternative. I only got to attend twice before the Roni came into our lives, so my impressions are subject to change.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I feel bad for those who suffer because of this pandemic but it hasn't really affected me negatively at all. Mostly it feels bad to hear about people getting sick but I don't know anyone who did get sick except 2 people who recovered in a few days.

My economy is fine, i get to work from home etc

I imagine if you lost a job to this or had a close one get hurt by the virus it'd suck though

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

https://twitter.com/officialmcafee/status/1250078800744001536?s=20

Fartbox posted:

Byggnads is like 110 kr and the cap is so low that you can get max A-kassa for something like 4 years with just a little bureaucratic nudging.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Fartbox posted:

It's slightly more expensive in Denmark. Either way, it's still a bullshit system. People from a disadvantaged socio-economic background are likely to either not be able to afford it when they turn 18 or to not bother. Once they get caught in the non A-kasse unemployment system, it's too late. Having two tiers of social security, with the "best" one (in amount of money you get and actually being allowed to own a car or an apartment) being funded 50%+ by the state is regressive and unsolidaric. Either everyone should get A-kasse funded by tax money or people should pay 100% out of their own pocket if they want improved unemployment insurance. I'd also be fine with a system where if you have a job you have to pay, if not you don't. But that's basically just taxes. Two-tier social security is one of the grossest examples of pitting the working class against itself, creating a division based on socio-economic background and level of education. It's the sordid underbelly of the welfare state.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 39 hours!)

I got mildly hosed when the poor Danish government implemented the "last 6 of 7 years in DK" to get A-kasse after paying in two years via PROSA. They re-instated us filthy foreign types plus Danes who spent 365+1 days abroad in February. In the interim I signed up for privat lønsikring, so I pissed away several thousand kroner.

My GF tells me minor horror stories about friends who get hosed by the system. One woman was getting abused by her husband so she went to the kommune, who promptly gave her a decent apartment and a stipend as she was unemployed. Then a few months later they cut her stipend, leaving her in an apartment she couldn't afford, and with no money to afford to find any place cheaper. She's loving trapped.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Job interview at MTR today. Went pretty well, am hopeful this might end up in a job for me.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Collapsing Farts posted:

Is it eing reported that way in Sweden? Are there any critics? You’d think all this death would cause some anger
It's being reported in total amount, but they're always late with their final figures, and especially through the weekends. When we compare total death/week in 2020 for the corona months (minus things like traffic fatalities) we'll get the real picture, and it'll be a bunch more grim than even current figures.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Apr 15, 2020

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Ponyhans is a pro follow btw

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-9vtYKnIii/?igshid=i7oltwhm0ibj

If someone can make one where they’re dancing in an empty Sergels Torg I’ll adore you from a two meter distance forever

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

BigglesSWE posted:

Job interview at MTR today. Went pretty well, am hopeful this might end up in a job for me.

For what job? I've had two interviews there and several applications for different jobs. The process is so long and the tests you do on the web are like worse than högskoleprov.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

https://rokokoposten.dk/2020/04/12/nordkorea-mette-frederiksen-goer-det-godt/

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

von Braun posted:

For what job? I've had two interviews there and several applications for different jobs. The process is so long and the tests you do on the web are like worse than högskoleprov.

Tågvärd. I've done similiar work a few years back at Tvärbanan so I'm hopeful. And yes those online tests give me some Westworld S3 vibes, what with all the "AI decides who is worthy" business.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.
Tegnell is retarded and economically motivated, news at 11.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

BigglesSWE posted:

Tågvärd. I've done similiar work a few years back at Tvärbanan so I'm hopeful. And yes those online tests give me some Westworld S3 vibes, what with all the "AI decides who is worthy" business.

I got interviewed for train technician and subway cleaner. The language part of those tests were insane imo, like why do they even have those there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

Tegnell is retarded and economically motivated, news at 11.

He's also motivated by a distorted ideology - saw an interview to Danish TV where he said that recommending people work at home was problematic, as it had an injust social profile. Uh yeah, but so does dying to corona... so maybe pick the non-lethal social injustice? And try to fix the other one afterwards?