Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

forkboy84 posted:

Such people do not exist. Foot fetish is not a thing. Never has been, never will be. Far too gross to be a thing. People making GBS threads on each other, fine, whatever ticks your boat, but feet? That'd be like masturbating to video footage of the Red Army liberating Auschwitz. Inconcievable

I might not get off on it, but it just feels like one of those things you do for your SO you know? Like giving a massage.

Obviously doesn't apply if you have gross or mouldy feet or whatever.

Anyway people are loving idiots for loving Boris and his handling of the crisis. Hey let's go shake hands with patients, oh no he and the people close to him fell ill, how coud this hsve happened? Let's all clap for him publicly!

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Currently feeling grumpy that the buses stop running at 6:15 meaning I can no longer do my food shop in the evening. I understand it on a practical level but man that poo poo sucks if you're a nurse etc who gets off at 7pm and hey presto you now need to pay £20 for a taxi. And worse, it sucks for me because it means breaking the habit of a lifetime. Booooooo

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

forkboy84 posted:

Currently feeling grumpy that the buses stop running at 6:15 meaning I can no longer do my food shop in the evening. I understand it on a practical level but man that poo poo sucks if you're a nurse etc who gets off at 7pm and hey presto you now need to pay £20 for a taxi. And worse, it sucks for me because it means breaking the habit of a lifetime. Booooooo

luxury. Most of our buses are now running at just two a day.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

brian posted:

And did they ask you to remove it? I get being sympathetic to people who have their privacy invaded but there's no putting genies back in bottles at this point and I don't know why this is uniquely dangerous compared to any other labour member who's ever worn any party gear or gone canvassing, which presumably these people signed up to previously. Regardless the protection of members should be handled by the party for their culpability in all this due to their complete lack of transparency and money should be spent ensuring they're safe and I don't see Keir doing that either. The report itself needed to come to public attention and will be widely available regardless of whatever you do.

Not specifically been asked to remove it, but apparently fascist and white nationalist sites are putting up names of people mentioned.
I agree the report definitely needs to come to public attention, but first blacking out the names of innocent people in all this might have been a good idea.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

luxury. Most of our buses are now running at just two a day.

Will say that I've noticed how much emptier the bus is when I went in last week just because the old women who normally use their free pass to just get out of the house are staying home which is nice.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

forkboy84 posted:

Really? I saw a bus at 11.30pm the other day.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Lol

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Not specifically been asked to remove it, but apparently fascist and white nationalist sites are putting up names of people mentioned.
I agree the report definitely needs to come to public attention, but first blacking out the names of innocent people in all this might have been a good idea.

I don't disagree but i do feel that if this could have been handled through internal channels it would have been, the leaker and those around them are taking significant personal risk themselves. If you hollow out the official channels to the point where nobody has an iota of trust in them, people will take more desperate measures with unintended consequences.

It's seems fairly clear that Starmer has no intention of acting on this report either privately or now it's in the public domain. Would desperately love to be proved wrong on this.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

Really? I saw a bus at 11.30pm the other day.

I assume it's a bus company/local authority choice rather than a central government one. (Probably a lot on the council as I know they subsidise some of the evening services in these parts because they are both extremely useful and not actually all that profitable) Also can't say if there's later services in other parts of Inverness, but the one to my village does stop that early.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

no might about it.
whoever publicly distributed the report originally could easily have blacked out the names
there’s a reason newspapers getting the report would’ve done that in whatever excerpts they published
congrats to the leaker on being shite like Wikileaks I guess

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yeah, I've gotta say if it had been me with my hands on it I would have taken the time to black out the names of anyone who wasn't one of the accused before leaking it. poo poo's dangerous, and it's not like there's any particularly desperate need for urgency AFAICT, the way there woulld have been if they'd leaked it in like... october.

But on a related note, does anyone have an appropriate template for a letter to send to my MP (now a member of the shad cab) and CLP officials about this? I want to follow up on it but I simply don't have the brain space at the moment to devote to balancing the appropriate levels of rage with comprehensibility.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Toecaps/sole protection plates are loving awesome and both have saved me multiple times and will feature on every set of boots I ever buy again

Have something infinitely more cheerful than starmer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui2jT8s6ZkQ

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

forkboy84 posted:

And no, I will never buy boots. Boots suck. Trainers 4 lyfe

Safety boots are good, mine are very comfortable and I'm wearing them at work right now. They are Finnish and as well as saving my toes from heavy things they keep out the snow and keep my feet warm at -20°C. Recommended if you have toes in a cold place.

e: the soles are also heat resistant so they may be suitable for toes in hot places but I have not tested this. I think it'd be sweaty.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 14, 2020

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

forkboy84 posted:

Such people do not exist. Foot fetish is not a thing. Never has been, never will be. Far too gross to be a thing.

Since it's this time of year

John 12:1-8 posted:

12 Then Jesus six days before the passover came to Bethany, where Lazarus was, which had been dead, whom he raised from the dead.
2 There they made him a supper; and Martha served: but Lazarus was one of them that sat at the table with him.
3 Then took Mary a pound of ointment of spikenard, very costly, and anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped his feet with her hair: and the house was filled with the odour of the ointment.
4 Then saith one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, which should betray him,
5 Why was not this ointment sold for three hundred pence, and given to the poor?
6 This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein.
7 Then said Jesus, Let her alone: against the day of my burying hath she kept this.
8 For the poor always ye have with you; but me ye have not always.

It's been a thing for a long time, op. There was a zombie at the table and she didn't even bat an eyelid. And given how much Himself allegedly travelled and the quality of available footwear at the time it's a fair bet that lady would have been dealing with two big fetid, bruised and blistered gammon steaks, saith he

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Don't kink shame:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/apr/14/the-sun-woman-attraction-to-chandeliers-not-a-sexual-orientation-ipso-says

quote:

Woman's attraction to chandeliers not a sexual orientation, ruling says
Amanda Liberty made complaint about article mocking declaration of love for light fitting

Jim Waterson Media editor

Tue 14 Apr 2020 10.43 BSTLast modified on Tue 14 Apr 2020 14.37 BST
Shares
Close up picture of old chandelier in ceiling
Library picture of a chandelier.

Liberty made the complaint after the tabloid newspaper mocked her love for Lumiere, her name for an intricate lamp she bought on eBay. Photograph: @ Mariano Sayno/husayno.com/Getty Images
A British woman in a long-term relationship with a 92-year-old German chandelier has been told that her attraction to historic light fittings is not considered to be a protected sexual orientation.

The press regulator, Ipso, made the ruling after Amanda Liberty, a woman from Leeds in her mid thirties, complained about an article in the Sun mocking her public declaration of love for Lumiere, her name for an intricate lamp she bought on eBay.

She argued that the newspaper’s article breached the regulator’s code of conduct which requires publishers to avoid prejudicial or pejorative references to an individual’s sexuality.

etc

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

People won't blame Boris, I think you just have to keep reminding them of how he hosed up actually

Jedit posted:

Monkey's paw for whom? He's getting exactly what he wanted. It's the nation that's getting hosed.

It gets referenced every other page, but the short story is worth reading (rather than the Simpsons episode): http://www.shortstoryamerica.com/pdf_classics/jacob_monkeys_paw.pdf

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Cerv posted:

no might about it.
whoever publicly distributed the report originally could easily have blacked out the names
there’s a reason newspapers getting the report would’ve done that in whatever excerpts they published
congrats to the leaker on being shite like Wikileaks I guess

tbf to wikileaks they did release their first 3? data leaks to journalists entirely to do this job, I don't know what happened after then but it's not like they didn't start out doing it as fairly as they could and I presume after the first couple it would be increasingly hard to find people willing to do the job given governments' reactions

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Dutch army boots are good and you can get them for like £15

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Continuity RCP posted:

Dutch army boots are good and you can get them for like £15

link plz i've been looking for army surplus combat boots for a while without much luck

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

thespaceinvader posted:

link plz i've been looking for army surplus combat boots for a while without much luck

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183810484597

A pound more expensive than I remember

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Continuity RCP posted:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183810484597

A pound more expensive than I remember

"Sizes: UK3.5-8"
Does the Dutch army have child size feet?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bold move to assume the Swampendeutsch have feet.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

sinky posted:

I don't know about them but I do so it's all good

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

I just assumed they all wore clogs anyway

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
They might be for cadets, they come with a little sheet telling you how to tie your laces

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bold move assuming any military personnel can read.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Tesseraction posted:

Bold move assuming any military personnel can read.

There are pictures

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

justcola posted:

It gets referenced every other page, but the short story is worth reading (rather than the Simpsons episode): http://www.shortstoryamerica.com/pdf_classics/jacob_monkeys_paw.pdf

I am familiar with the short story, thank you.

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

forkboy84 posted:

And no, I will never buy boots. Boots suck. Trainers 4 lyfe

There's lee cooper steelies that basically look like baseball shoes, i've had a pair for a couple years: https://www.screwfix.com/p/lee-cooper-022-safety-trainer-boots-black-size-9/2824f (there's a low-top version that is pretty much the same price iirc also)

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

phwooooaaaaarrrr between this and the states it's pretty hard to feel positive about the future lads

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

sinky posted:

Would is shock you to learn that women are allowed in many of the work’s military forces? Not even in the canteen either, they let them shoot guns and fly planes and everything...

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
:jerkbag:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Calico Heart posted:

phwooooaaaaarrrr between this and the states it's pretty hard to feel positive about the future lads

lol I haven't felt positive about the future for a decade

just finished delivering leaflets with contact details for people who need support, for the local community centre. Thought it'd make me feel better but honestly made me feel worse, I was getting flashbacks to December (trying to push single pieces of paper through bristly post flaps [lol]) and spent the whole time tense as gently caress waiting for people to start yelling at me for approaching their doors. Was moving as quickly as possible so I'd be a safe distance away if they wanted to start an argument

I said to my partner (who was my 'board runner') that I really don't know what it's going to take to get me trusting people again

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 14, 2020

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Just went out for some grub, and every bastard in my town is out on the street today. Loads of old farts just standing around talking on corners, gangs of kids roaming around, families crowing the shops. Feels like lockdown is falling apart with all the sun, and people are probably bored to tears being inside.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Calico Heart posted:

The republicans forcing Wisconsin voting to go ahead during a pandemic and then losing was funny at least.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

communism bitch posted:

Just went out for some grub, and every bastard in my town is out on the street today. Loads of old farts just standing around talking on corners, gangs of kids roaming around, families crowing the shops. Feels like lockdown is falling apart with all the sun, and people are probably bored to tears being inside.

Those idiots.

My fortress is eternal.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I may have gone a bit ott on the reduced Easter eggs

closest guess to the actual cost wins a prize*

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Barry Foster posted:

lol I haven't felt positive about the future for a decade

just finished delivering leaflets with contact details for people who need support, for the local community centre. Thought it'd make me feel better but honestly made me feel worse, I was getting flashbacks to December (trying to push a single pieces of paper through bristly post flaps [lol]) and spent the whole time tense as gently caress waiting for people to start yelling at me for approaching their doors. Was moving as quickly as possible so I'd be a safe distance away if they wanted to start an argument

I said to my partner (who was my 'board runner') that I really don't know what it's going to take to get me trusting people again

I never had any problems when I was out leafletting (other than it being cold wet and dark obvs), even when people were in their driveways, but door knocking is personally one of the most stressful things I've ever done.

spending my weekends knocking on house after house deliberately trying to start a conversation about a divisive issue is just not my idea of fun, especially as I'm naturally p goony. There were some nice conversations but more than enough people were grumpy about people knocking on their door because it woke up a baby or something, and even though a lot of them were supposedly previous labour voters a lot of them were only that in the Dan Hodges sense and were mostly just interested in condescending to me about how much they hate Corbyn or whatever

but still I did it, and so did thousands and thousands of other people, because it seemed like the right thing to do, and cunts like this can just betray us and the country and starmer can't even issue a half arsed "look I'm sorry that you're upset about this" non apology and instead declares an investigation into how we found out about getting hosed over

genuinely disgusting. they were obviously planning to have buried this if it hadn't been leaked, which is just compounding the disrespect and betrayal

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

XMNN posted:

I never had any problems when I was out leafletting (other than it being cold wet and dark obvs), even when people were in their driveways, but door knocking is personally one of the most stressful things I've ever done.

spending my weekends knocking on house after house deliberately trying to start a conversation about a divisive issue is just not my idea of fun, especially as I'm naturally p goony. There were some nice conversations but more than enough people were grumpy about people knocking on their door because it woke up a baby or something, and even though a lot of them were supposedly previous labour voters a lot of them were only that in the Dan Hodges sense and were mostly just interested in condescending to me about how much they hate Corbyn or whatever

but still I did it, and so did thousands and thousands of other people, because it seemed like the right thing to do, and cunts like this can just betray us and the country and starmer can't even issue a half arsed "look I'm sorry that you're upset about this" non apology and instead declares an investigation into how we found out about getting hosed over

genuinely disgusting. they were obviously planning to have buried this if it hadn't been leaked, which is just compounding the disrespect and betrayal

p. much where I'm at, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

DesperateDan posted:

Have something infinitely more cheerful than starmer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui2jT8s6ZkQ

I love it. The little fella in a yellow cardigan at 17:15 has baby hairs on his tummy, so cute!