Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thorbeef
Jul 24, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

Never seen a 1602 out in the wild. Didn't even have time to activate the zoom lens on the phone lol.

Perfect lookin cars they is

Not so much that one but appropriate-ish for thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

Darchangel posted:

LOL - I'd seen various fruity smell additives for 2-strokes, but that's new to me.

I ran across this on Grassroots Motorsports:

Please note the warning light in the lower left. :D

This is in a Volvo 940 with a "Try-power" carbureted 1UZ.

edit:

That dizzy is driven by socket extensions.

I'm late here, but this is me! This is my Lemons team (another team mate was the one responding to that GRM post), and I built the circuitry and dash board setup. The main paddle shifting and whatnot is done by an Arduino Mega with custom boards for some random stuff. Paddle shifters themselves are from one of those realistic sim racing video game companies. There's also a Raspberry Pi backpacked on that does data logging, and I wrote a GUI to plot data, theoretically as the car went around the track and past a track-side router. That didn't work super great. But the GUI looked cool once I pulled the data off the Pi!

So for instance here's an art-ified image of our alternator failing lap by lap (each color is a lap) until we stopped to replace it (the green-ish traces).

We built a Starlet we ran last fall with the stock 1.3 engine. It was ... slow, but hilarious, especially with 8" wide sticky rubber under it (hell yeah three-wheeling). It's getting engine swapped, and I'm building circuitry and stuff for that too. Here is the steering wheel based dash:

You can see the same type of shifters poking out behind the steering wheel spokes a bit.

Because we like being dumb, the Starlet is getting an H27 V6 out of a Suzuki XL7, with mechanical fuel injection from a Mercedes, I think it is. At least that's the plan. It's not a GOOD idea, but it's a dumb and fun idea.

Krakkles posted:

Definitely a button, apparently the starter button!

Also, is that square on the right an LED array? It sure looks like the inside of lightbulbs. A shift light, maybe? Edit: Yep, the link has the back of the board, that's definitely an LED array, and the thing on the left has too many wires to be a light.

It's an 8x8 two color matrix. I use it to indicate PRN, and then 1 through 4 as you shift (or as the car shifts for you if you leave in in auto mode). Here's when I was setting up how the letters would look:

Dr Rocksalt fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 14, 2020

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

For the Arduino-based paddle shifter -- are you hijacking an automatic transmission's logic, or have you mechanized the clutch+gear selector of a standard transmission?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Dr Rocksalt posted:

So for instance here's an art-ified image of our alternator failing lap by lap (each color is a lap) until we stopped to replace it (the green-ish traces).

This is super cool.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

For the Arduino-based paddle shifter -- are you hijacking an automatic transmission's logic, or have you mechanized the clutch+gear selector of a standard transmission?

The (automatic) Lexus trans is electronically shifted through drive gears by just the state of two solenoids you can access via wires on the outside of the trans case. So the paddle shifters just give the Arduino a signal the driver wants up or down a gear, and then the Arduino trips some relays to engage the appropriate set of solenoids. You still have to use the old floor mounted gear shifter to select park, reverse, neutral, or drive. As I have it now when you throw it into drive it shifts automatically: the Arduino takes in speed and RPM data to just choose a logical gear. As soon as you blip a paddle, it kicks it into manual mode and it's on to you choose the drive gear. I put in some rudimentary protection so you can't, say, jam it into first when going 105. You can also pull and hold the paddles for a second or two to kick it back to auto mode should you choose.

The Arduino knows PRND status by a sensor that just looks at the position of the floor mount selector going into the side of the trans. This is also somewhat critical for shifting since the trans needs to be in the solenoid state that would be first in drive if you want to be in neutral or reverse.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

This is super cool.

Thanks! I actually thought it looked neat enough I printed it to hang up.

Dr Rocksalt fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 14, 2020

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
extremely cool as hell

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Grakkus posted:

Went for a run in a new area today and discovered this behind a fence:

That's a Velorex, a Czech 3 wheeler from the 40s. The single rear wheel is driven and it has a leather bonnet and grille for weight and cost savings. It must be absolutely terrifying to drive one of these in traffic.

Yeah these are pretty rare but some collectors still have them in running order, and one even made it to a track day a year or two back:

And also its much more advanced 4-wheel buddy:

Those panel gaps are probably stock. I can't imagine what's it's like to drive either at more than walking pace

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

mobby_6kl posted:

I can't imagine what's it's like to drive either at more than walking pace

Terrifying?

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

I'm sorry sir, you seem to have gotten some door in your panel gap.

If Jeremy Clarkson were ever in a Saw movie, he'd have to do power laps in one of those around the test track.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Went shopping today and parked next to this awesome Suzuki Alto Works with MCM sticker. Even here in JDM rich NZ I haven’t seen one in years.

Even better, when I came out, it had been joined by a younger but MUCH bigger cousin. Seriously the size difference was much more than you imagine.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

...which is saying something because a Jimny isn't exactly huge!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

boxen posted:

I'm sorry sir, you seem to have gotten some door in your panel gap.

If Jeremy Clarkson were ever in a Saw movie, he'd have to do power laps in one of those around the test track.

That's an intake vent.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

builds character posted:

That's an intake, bent.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Grakkus posted:

Went for a run in a new area today and discovered this behind a fence:

That's a Velorex, a Czech 3 wheeler from the 40s. The single rear wheel is driven and it has a leather bonnet and grille for weight and cost savings. It must be absolutely terrifying to drive one of these in traffic.

To be fair, any cycle car is going to feel that way with all the mostrous SUVs and wannabes on the road.
I feel vulnerable in my '87 Corolla shitbox.

Dr Rocksalt posted:

I'm late here, but this is me! This is my Lemons team (another team mate was the one responding to that GRM post), and I built the circuitry and dash board setup. The main paddle shifting and whatnot is done by an Arduino Mega with custom boards for some random stuff. Paddle shifters themselves are from one of those realistic sim racing video game companies. There's also a Raspberry Pi backpacked on that does data logging, and I wrote a GUI to plot data, theoretically as the car went around the track and past a track-side router. That didn't work super great. But the GUI looked cool once I pulled the data off the Pi!

It's an 8x8 two color matrix. I use it to indicate PRN, and then 1 through 4 as you shift (or as the car shifts for you if you leave in in auto mode). Here's when I was setting up how the letters would look:

I love everything about this post.

quote:

We built a Starlet we ran last fall with the stock 1.3 engine. It was ... slow, but hilarious, especially with 8" wide sticky rubber under it (hell yeah three-wheeling). It's getting engine swapped, and I'm building circuitry and stuff for that too. Here is the steering wheel based dash:

You can see the same type of shifters poking out behind the steering wheel spokes a bit.

Because we like being dumb, the Starlet is getting an H27 V6 out of a Suzuki XL7, with mechanical fuel injection from a Mercedes, I think it is. At least that's the plan. It's not a GOOD idea, but it's a dumb and fun idea.

And I saw that at the end of the GRM thread. I love this bad idea, too.

I laughed.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

Dr Rocksalt posted:

this is loving awesome. like a perfect graphical representation of progressive failure

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

snugglz posted:

this is loving awesome. like a perfect graphical representation of progressive failure

Or a bitchin Winamp visualizer

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop

:eyepop:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Ummm.... yes this indeed awesome. And I badly want to drive

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Just ran across this beast:
https://hiconsumption.com/suzuki-omni-gymni-by-holy-shift-garage/

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

My god, yes!

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
:perfect:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm assuming this was an awful car but it looks really cool...

https://twitter.com/CoreyLewis86/status/1251317758756892675?s=19

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You can almost see the built-in cocaine mirror in the glove box and cut-out space for your brick-sized cellphone

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I like the usual GM touches. No color-keyed floor mats. Foot operated parking brake.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Colostomy Bag posted:

I like the usual GM touches. No color-keyed floor mats. Foot operated parking brake.

Pop up headlights tho :colbert:

That car looks pretty drat sweet.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

As Nero Danced posted:

Forget unicorns. I found a Pegasus

For those who don't know muscle cars all that well, 1969 AMC Hurst S/C Rambler. One of 1512 made, a factory built drag car. Too bad it doesn't have the running gear, but that makes it a perfect swap candidate.

The pickup next to it is just as rare, it's a 1958 Chevrolet Cameo. Production numbers about the same as the SC/Rambler.

In 1955-57 Chevrolet Cameo Carrier was a low production halo version of their light truck. They used fiberglass panels to make the standard stepside box look like it was smooth sided. It was impractical and expensive and not many were made. In the 1958 they did a partial run of them to use up their stock of fiberglass panels before switching to a modern steel fleetside box.

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/article/high-style-hauling-1955-58-chevrolet-cameo/

Edit: detailed set of photos of another one, they actually stuck the camera up into the dead space in between the fiberglass panels and stepside box hiding underneath.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1958-chevrolet-apache-3100-8/

Fornax Disaster fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 18, 2020

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I wonder how many people will look at that and be all "drat! They made the CamERO as a truck back in the 50s"?!

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I desperately want this

I don't feel like clogging up Kakermix's thread, but I wonder how much this would cost to buy, ship to Texas, and register.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
Holy poo poo I'd drive that.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
That is extremely my poo poo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MetaJew posted:

I desperately want this

I don't feel like clogging up Kakermix's thread, but I wonder how much this would cost to buy, ship to Texas, and register.

I wouldn't be surprised if it had literally no suspension, just axles like a drat go cart :v:

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Olympic Mathlete posted:

There was one of these for sale recently, I want to say they were asking like $16k or something?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Cybermen 2020

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hope to hell it wasn't a K&N.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MetaJew posted:

I desperately want this

It’s a 2017 model so you’ll have to wait until 2042 to bring it in.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Blacknose posted:

Holy poo poo I'd drive that.

Achtane posted:

That is extremely my poo poo.

I seent it first! I called dibs!

Midjack posted:

It’s a 2017 model so you’ll have to wait until 2042 to bring it in.

gently caress.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It looks basically the same as importable HiJet. New headlights/front facia thing probably bolts right on

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/m_fiat_500/status/1251736940065386498?s=19

In before wrong thread :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I dig it, now someone do to a Prius C. :v:

Too bad the TCS is so aggressive it'll still get stuck on a snowy driveway. Faintest whiff of wheel spin and the car shuts down.