Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Nothus posted:

It's just shittalk right now. If it gets serious, it will be immediately slapped-down for being unconstitutional:

lawful response: "in such imminent Danger as will not admit of delay"

chaotic response: why would states seeking to separate themselves from the federal government care what the federal government thinks about the legality of doing that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
LOL America is the dying fever dream of a syphilitic robber baron.

None of this is real.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mastershakeman posted:

God drat right. The real question is if newstates try to put the watershed in the middle of their territory for control, or on the edge for easy border control

Colorado hosts the headwaters of the Rio Grande, North Platte, South Platte, Arkansas, Cache la Poudre, Republican, and Colorado Rivers.

And lots of ICBMs. The Intermountain West and High Plains will be ours

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

francois balls lol

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nothus posted:

It's just shittalk right now. If it gets serious, it will be immediately slapped-down for being unconstitutional:

Yeah interstate compacts aren't really unusual and if they're just coordinating states doing states stuff when the president has told the states to go handle it there's probably a pretty good case that it doesn't require congressional approval bc it isn't stepping on federal toes

Like this is literally what Trump told them to do and now he's mad, interstate compacts to address regional issues are a very normal thing

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
That's one way to free up those beds

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

the government reneged on our social contract so now everything is up for negotiation

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

SKULL.GIF posted:

rebuttal: the groundwork for state balkanization is happening right now, right before our eyes, and the President is responding to it

a coup isn't going to happen without some more disaster over the next couple months

same for full revolution, it'd take a full economic collapse to spur people to action, and even then it'll be limited compared to "oh gently caress oh gently caress oh gently caress how do we secure food and water?"

I think the hell scenario would be

-Trump orders all Americans back to work, lockdowns ended
-Cuomo and the blue states tell their residents "stay home, he's crazy" and stay the course
-Trump stations national guard at blue state borders to prevent shipments form coming/going
-Trump tells FAA to turn away planes coming from blue states/not to schedule flights into blue states
-INSERT FOREIGN POWER HERE comes to the aid of the blue states and provokes a military action
-US retaliates against one or more of the blue states, either by bombing or by military attempting to occupy those states
-Civil War

If we lose: Governors detained and/or killed
If we win: Balkanized states assisted by sympathetic countries like Canada and Mexico

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

new kind of cat posted:

francois balls lol

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Zeno-25 posted:

Colorado hosts the headwaters of the Rio Grande, North Platte, South Platte, Arkansas, Cache la Poudre, Republican, and Colorado Rivers.

And lots of ICBMs. The Intermountain West and High Plains will be ours

yeah other states talk a lot of poo poo about how they can repurpose their water but dont even contemplate colorado just damming it up and not letting anyone else have it

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
Trump has been repeatedly told by his staff and probably various GOP politics he doesn't just get to tweet "THE ECONOMY IS NOW OPEN FOR BUSINESS" and then everyone goes back to work and he's having a very large, public meltdown about it

i love our fat dumb orange boy

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
hey get this

"President of The West Coast Pact, Elon Musk"

lmao

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

limaCAT posted:

So we have famine, plague, when war and death will come?

We at war

We at war with terrorism, racism

But most of all we at war with ourselves

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

shovelbum posted:

the different parts of the us are much weaker individually and no one part is incredibly better than the others, in fact the privileging of nyc/bay area for being THE CENTER OF THE ECONOMY in so much liberal wank just glosses over the fact that a huge portion of the coastal city economy is the fake loving service/finance economy where we all sell weird financial products to each other, or tech ad bullshit scam economy
California is not the Bay Area. California + Washington + Oregon are food powerhouses.

Speaking of which, a lot of major meat packing plants nationwide are shutting down because their workforce is staying home for fear of coronavirus. The Smithfield pork-packing plant addressed coronavirus by telling employees to practice good personal hygiene.

Vegetables and fruits are one thing (assuming the farm workers somehow miraculously don't have an epidemic, which seems unlikely) but the various boutique meat producers aren't going to feed a state, far less a coast.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lmao what the gently caress whirlwind of insanity did I log on today to

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

twoday posted:

hey get this

lmao

Buy a Tesla and have the monthly payments garnished tax-free from your wages!

When will the car be delivered? gently caress you - don't ask that

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

twoday posted:

hey get this

lmao

put a big gun on the back of a cybertrukk and you got a halo warthog and you know what? cool.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

Hospitalization numbers isn't that good of a comparison metric. They have gotten better at deciding who needs hospitalization and who doesn't. Less people are admitted, but those that are admitted are sicker.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

pretty much confirms that Trump and his taskforce have been primarily concerned with pre-empting supply orders and confiscation schemes for no other reason than to demand fealty and keep the blue states in line and begging

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

factory farming is a lovely practice that deserves to die, you can survive without large amounts of cheap meat

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Spoondick posted:

factory farming is a lovely practice that deserves to die, you can survive without large amounts of cheap meat

Also most small farms are lovely too

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I think our plan that people will behave with common sense failed.

We have a lot of apologies to make to all the authors of horror movies where we criticised the protagonist doing the most stupid actions at every move.
Sometimes with bigger effects, since these individuals are the leaders of entire nations, companies, services.

But we have to cricise all the movies painting the CDC, and politicians as incredible competent people.

Tei has issued a correction as of 16:53 on Apr 14, 2020

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

my grandparents raised rabbits and chickens for slaughter, i might do that if i can get my subsistence farm up and running

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

LOL America is the dying fever dream of a syphilitic robber baron.

None of this is real.

it never was !!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Spoondick posted:

Death to seafood industry.

Death to factory farming.

Praise the bean growers. May god bless and keep them all.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Rotacixe posted:

Hospitalization numbers isn't that good of a comparison metric. They have gotten better at deciding who needs hospitalization and who doesn't. Less people are admitted, but those that are admitted are sicker.

thats still a pretty good chart. its been about a few weeks since NY got serious, this is expected. and deaths will lag behind hospitalizations, and may have a long tail especially in NY because of pollution and inequality. no clue what this means for the state overall or "the models" but this is probably a vote of confidence for some mild optimism that the peak could be in late april and not roll on all summer.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Marx Headroom posted:

yep, they didnt lose a single man. shackleton was a badass. i reread that story once in a while bc its so cool.

Yeah, they survive months on the ice while Shackleton and a few others sail across 2000 miles of the worst ocean known. They finally reach the island, but they're on the wrong side and have to climb over the frozen peaks in winter storms. Finally they get to safety, rescue the rest of the crew, and a grateful nation says, wow! More warm bodies for the trenches! And throws the crew into the Western Front.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

SKULL.GIF posted:

lawful response: "in such imminent Danger as will not admit of delay"

I'm guessing Cuomo's definition of Imminent Danger differs from the Trump's.

quote:

chaotic response: why would states seeking to separate themselves from the federal government care what the federal government thinks about the legality of doing that

Ultimately, they have the guns?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

MorrisBae posted:

I think the hell scenario would be

-Trump orders all Americans back to work, lockdowns ended
-Cuomo and the blue states tell their residents "stay home, he's crazy" and stay the course
-Trump stations national guard at blue state borders to prevent shipments form coming/going
-Trump tells FAA to turn away planes coming from blue states/not to schedule flights into blue states
-INSERT FOREIGN POWER HERE comes to the aid of the blue states and provokes a military action
-US retaliates against one or more of the blue states, either by bombing or by military attempting to occupy those states
-Civil War

If we lose: Governors detained and/or killed
If we win: Balkanized states assisted by sympathetic countries like Canada and Mexico

Trump bombing American states is probably the only situation in which a military coup actually occurs

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Nothus posted:

lol

scotus and the senate already invalidated the constitution

to say nothing about the air force

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Gringostar posted:

lol

scotus and the senate already invalidated the constitution

to say nothing about the air force

don't forget the space force

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i have a raspberry pi zero and no idea what to do with it. someone tell me how to turn it into something useful that I'll use every day

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

twoday posted:

don't forget the space force

i only remember sailor

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Just loving look at the last column.

slippery doc
Jan 17, 2006

kill the boy,
save the man

Arsenic Lupin posted:

California is not the Bay Area. California + Washington + Oregon are food powerhouses.

Speaking of which, a lot of major meat packing plants nationwide are shutting down because their workforce is staying home for fear of coronavirus. The Smithfield pork-packing plant addressed coronavirus by telling employees to practice good personal hygiene.

Vegetables and fruits are one thing (assuming the farm workers somehow miraculously don't have an epidemic, which seems unlikely) but the various boutique meat producers aren't going to feed a state, far less a coast.

but how are we supposed to grow food in, uh, california

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dolphin posted:

i have a raspberry pi zero and no idea what to do with it. someone tell me how to turn it into something useful that I'll use every day

Zero or zero W?

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shovelbum posted:

Zero or zero W?
zero w

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Did Bad Math Nate actually count the weekend as part of reliable statistical reporting? After drat near every graph shows a distinct lack of reporting for the weekend?

:lol::lol::lol:

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Death to seafood industry.

Death to factory farming.

Praise the bean growers. May god bless and keep them all.

:hmbol: those were the guy who got shafted way back in the precambrian era, when all the soybeans tanked and they all went under because the subsidies to keep agriculture afloat were sucked up by loan repayment and corporate interests siphoning off money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Penisaurus Sex posted:

glad to see Trump's tweeting to easily mark new chapters in the American Collapse unit of a history book in 2040.

by 2040 history will be

:frogc00l:

a thing of the past