Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Scalding Coffee posted:

I am playing the RE1 remake and is there a way to remove the picture frame black borders?

Check the PC Gaming Wiki link for the game, it is rather extensive:

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Resident_Evil_HD_Remaster

If you really want to you can go for stuff like 8 gigs of AI-upscaled pre-rendered backgrounds, 500 megs of volume-normalized BGM, a door animation skip mod, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Can I play Half-Life Alyx with an Oculus Quest?
You'll lose some functionality because the game is strongly built around the individual finger controls of the Index.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Fallom posted:

The original Receiver played really hard on schizophrenia delusions so this doesn't seem like it's coming out of left field. Still a good warning for certain folks.

This is still a step farther, and kinda tasteless, tbh.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

You'll lose some functionality because the game is strongly built around the individual finger controls of the Index.

Huh? No it isn't

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

I haven’t had any issues with the rift controller, but I’m also like an hour in. It does a good job of sticking a finger out when there’s a button to push.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Floodkiller posted:

For a lighter note with Receiver 2, I have without fail managed to shoot my leg while holstering with every single type of firearm I've been given so far.

ya, i accidentally shot myself in the foot far too many times in the tutorial. The trick is to either HOLD tab to holster your weapon safely or just make sure the hammer isnt pulled back when you try to holster it

ive also accidentally killed myself multiple times by sprinting through a window without realizing that my momentum is gonna throw me over the rail on the other side

... im beginning to sense a theme here

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I've played through Alyx using a Quest. All you miss out on is being able to flip off people.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

StabMasterArson posted:

Huh? No it isn't
Really? When the game was first introduced, those were advertised as a big deal. They were supposed to be pretty integral to the game and I've been seeing a lot of individual movement in the streams I've watched. But alright, guess I was misinformed there.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

It's called marketing. You bought into the marketing.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
One of the struggles of the Steam thread is when someone gives their opinion about a game, there is about a 50/50 chance that they have never played that game before.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Cardiovorax posted:

It certainly sounds like it's way past the point of what should be in a game like that. It's supposed to a gun simulator, not some kind of weird psychological stealth horror/melodrama.

It’s both of those things.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

been playing Receiver 2 and im really enjoying it so far, might do an effort post about it later but its a huge jump in quality from the first one. However, there is one aspect of the game i think needs to be mentioned for other people:

:siren:AVOID THIS GAME IF YOU ARE CURRENTLY DEALING WITH SUICIDE IDEATION!!!:siren:

The game does have a tiny warning at the start about this, but im serious, this game might set someone over the edge if they didnt know about this. Big gameplay/story spoilers follow:

The game is an fps rougelike and the objective for each run is to collect X amount of tapes. The tapes usually give backstory about the current situation and what Receivers are, but there are also basically suicide tapes sprinkled in as well. The content of these tapes is usually some character lamenting about being depressed and then saying that they are going to kill themselves or something to that affect. Once you start to listen to the tape, your character will then take their gun and start to turn it on themselves. If you dont unload your weapon in time, you will kill yourself. Ive never seen a game do this and it was extremely unnerving and intense. A big theme in the game is firearm safety, oddly enough, and I think they did this to drive home how unsafe firearms can be, especially if you are suffering from depression.

Still really like the game, but i think this is something that will upset some people. Really dont want this part to sneak up on people that could be seriously affected by it.

That owns.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

ShootaBoy posted:

It's called marketing. You bought into the marketing.
Well, I've seen people carefully pick up pens by actually pinching them between their fingers like you would with a real pen rather than press a "pick stuff up" button, so there is some functionality you would lose. I suppose it's not really "integral" in the sense that it stops you from playing through the game, though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, I've seen people carefully pick up pens by actually pinching them between their fingers like you would with a real pen rather than press a "pick stuff up" button, so there is some functionality you would lose. I suppose it's not really "integral" in the sense that it stops you from playing through the game, though.

Other VR controllers have a grip button that works the same. It's usually situated in a position where you just tighten your grip to activate it. The Index basically just has that for every finger. Just slightly more fidelity.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

You just hold the grip button that I'm pretty sure every other VR controller has to puck stuff up.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Receiver 2 is a good game.

Here is the first tape I found in the wild.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Valkyria Chronicles 4 is only $17 today. :gifttank:

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Receiver 2 is fun but I just had it ctd and eat my progress so maybe watch out for that!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Samuringa posted:

Humble 2K's Game Together Bundle

$1:

The Darkness II
Sid Meier's Pirates!
Carnival Games® VR
Spec Ops: The Line

Beat The Average(Currently $11.35):

The Golf Club™ 2019 featuring PGA TOUR
BioShock: The Collection
Sid Meier's Civilization® III: Complete
NBA 2K Playgrounds 2

$20:

NBA 2K20
WWE 2K20
XCOM: Enemy Unknown Complete Edition
Borderlands Game of the Year Enhanced
Borderlands: The Handsome Collection

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Some good stuff in that bundle, but XCOM is overpriced and it feels like it has a lot of repeats.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The dollar tier rules just on the Darkness II and Pirates! alone.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
has there ever been a better courtly dancing simulator than sid meier's pirates!?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/Nitomatta/status/1250108112763097088?s=20

Not available in my region for some reason but still might be good for others.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

These look extremely ugly. I'm not sure what you're trying to show here.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Hub Cat posted:

Receiver 2 is fun but I just had it ctd and eat my progress so maybe watch out for that!

So you might say that the game killed itself?

Xander77 posted:

These look extremely ugly. I'm not sure what you're trying to show here.

:saddowns:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I'm not sure those are the shots I'd take in real life if I was like "check out this beautiful place" though

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Quick pic of the low poly wolf and myself, also low poly

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

Quick pic of the low poly wolf and myself, also low poly

Out on the Fallout 76 town having the time of my life with a bunch of friends. They're all just out of frame, low poly too.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Cutting and pasting some more of the lighthearted stuff from Receiver 2 for the people that are avoiding it (for completely understandable reasons, I can deal with that kind of stuff that was posted in the spoilers last page usually and it still creeped me out when it happened):

I'll try to make some gun safety gifs whenever I gently caress up handling virtual firearms properly again AKA 5 seconds from now.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I dunno if I'd call that lighthearted exactly!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Can I play Half-Life Alyx with an Oculus Quest?

Yep, Valve natively supports every VR headset that connects to the PC, no weirdness and nothing you have to do at all.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

luxury handset posted:

has there ever been a better courtly dancing simulator than sid meier's pirates!?
Yakuza 0

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I just got an email from steam telling me to play Fallout 76 because I have fallout games in my library, even though I only have Fallout 2 in my steam. I've never gotten this kind of email from Steam with over 100 games bought. I wonder how much Bethesda had to pay for that.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Starks posted:

I just got an email from steam telling me to play Fallout 76 because I have fallout games in my library, even though I only have Fallout 2 in my steam. I've never gotten this kind of email from Steam with over 100 games bought. I wonder how much Bethesda had to pay for that.

Hey, how come you get the cool email? I have Fallout 1 and New Vegas and I didn't get anything :mad:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Yeah, I've definitely never seen the email before, that must be a setting turned on somewhere. I only get out-of-client messages about anything I wishlist before release.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I got it too; mine specifically said "Because you have played Fallout games in the past". Do they think the problem with 76 is that people haven't heard of it?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Krazyface posted:

I got it too; mine specifically said "Because you have played Fallout games in the past". Do they think the problem with 76 is that people haven't heard of it?

Their algorithm probably determined we're unlikely to demand refunds or something

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Look at pretty pictures of the West Virginian Appalachian mountains while listening to Tennessee Ernie Ford. Congrats, you have now recreated the only reason to play Fallout 76.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Yeah there are a bunch of email preferences. I think the very last one which is both really wordy and vague is the one that enables this.

quote:

Game-specific event notifications
Steam ocassionally sends event reminders for specific games in your Steam library or that you follow. You can opt out of notifications from individual games by marking 'ignore' on their store page, or by adding it on the page below, or by following the opt-out link from the game's event email.

Krazyface posted:

Maybe they think that people just didn't want their bethesda client (which is true) but are otherwise very interested (which is false) so it's more a notice that it's on steam rather than that it exists at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'm going to be the voice of dissent and say that I rather like these! They're not on par with what we expect now, but the lighting is fun and I like your framing. They kind of remind me of State of Decay 2, which is another game that doesn't look like a winner, but it accomplishes what it aims for and is expressive in its style.

Still not going to play it though, I haven't figured out how to get into Fallout New Vegas yet so there's no way I can try 76.