Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

mango sentinel posted:

Hey, by what authority is Trump cutting off money to the WHO?
His generation....

Daltrey Dog Tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

evilweasel posted:

Obama was a great president and hating Obama is generally a sign of terminal brain worms.

Obama was the greatest failure in this entire secular cycle; he was supposed to purge no less than half of the elite class in 09, he didn't, and our society would collapse of it even if there weren't a dozen other things doing us in.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Neo Rasa posted:

The bit about wanting to stop the Apprentice tapes surprises me, just because at this point is there anything left he can have said that would make his base or the GOP abandon him at this point?

Video of him saying something nice about Obama or Hillary.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I just reminded myself that three months ago Trump got someone to look up "who's the biggest terrorist" so he could drone strike him in the middle of a crowded city and he expected everyone to throw him a ticker tape parade.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I think what pisses me off most is the rising evidence that nothing positive will happen again in this country without Obama's permission unless his popularity in the Dem base is shattered

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Car Hater posted:

I think what pisses me off most is the rising evidence that nothing positive will happen again in this country without Obama's permission unless his popularity in the Dem base is shattered
Apparently yes

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Barack Obama is an evil empty man and easily one of the most destructive people to have ever entered the White House. He is a cancer that will fight all leftists and progressives for as long as possible.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Paradoxish posted:

Online advertising is getting so, so very hosed.

I only see a very small (and unrelated to Amazon's affiliate program) piece of this pie through one of my clients, but that piece is like staring into the abyss at the moment. I've been skeptical of the whole house of cards argument in the online advertising space, but I'm starting to think we're months away from a pretty spectacular implosion.

I’m reminded of the Chapo WeWork episode (and Amber’s Jacobin article) from November and about how we’ve been so so so overdue for the bubble on nebulous ~data~ harvesting to burst for like over a decade at this point. All of these massive companies with zero actual pathway to profitability, trading for years on the promise of ~collecting valuable data~.

Are we a real estate business? No, we’re actually a tech company in the business of selling data. A delivery service? Nope. Data. Are we a content publisher? Only if you ignore all the rich, loamy data that we totally know what to do with.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

evilweasel posted:

Obama was a great president and hating Obama is generally a sign of terminal brain worms.

:wrong:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

evilweasel posted:

Al-Saqr posted:

Barack Obama is an evil empty man and easily one of the most destructive people to have ever entered the White House. He is a cancer that will fight all leftists and progressives for as long as possible.

Maybe the truth... is somewhere in the middle?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

ukgoon here. I have Biden filed under 'swamp' and just the latest old white guy that corporate america has plucked out of it's pocket, but little to back that up. Am I wrong? Anyone got a good breakdown of who he is for the comically uniformed?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

jiggerypokery posted:

ukgoon here. I have Biden filed under 'swamp' and just the latest old white guy that corporate america has plucked out of it's pocket, but little to back that up. Am I wrong? Anyone got a good breakdown of who he is for the comically uniformed?

that is not an accurate assessment but it is the response you are going to get from a lot of people who are very mad their candidate lost to him

Biden is basically ‘generic democratic candidate’

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

jiggerypokery posted:

Yeah, basically. He was Obama’s VP, in case you don’t remember/that wasn’t already clear, and he was initially picked to be the “moderating, conservative” counterpoint to Obama’s image of “hope and change radicalism” so....yeah.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Car Hater posted:

Obama was the greatest failure in this entire secular cycle; he was supposed to purge no less than half of the elite class in 09, he didn't, and our society would collapse of it even if there weren't a dozen other things doing us in.

not sure you’re intentionally doing my argument these favors but ok

obviously Obama did things people disagree with: he was president for eight years, if you couldn’t find something you disagree with that would also be a sign of a terminal brain deficiency. even Obama would find a bunch. but if you;re one of the people who genuinely hate the guy, that’s brain worms

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

evilweasel posted:

that is not an accurate assessment but it is the response you are going to get from a lot of people who are very mad their candidate lost to him

He really is straight out of the generic politico factory.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

jiggerypokery posted:

Joe Biden has been involved in national politics in the US for very nearly 50 years and in that time has been on the wrong side of nearly every issue, including but not limited to: desegregation, college debt, police brutality, the war in iraq, the war in afghanistan, and whether or not a conservative ideologue was a good fit for SCOTUS.

He's also a rapist, a serial sexual harasser, and has a habit of making up outlandish lies about his personal history.

evilweasel posted:

This is completely accurate as well.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

while in November I'd have agreed with you that Trump would have to put in some worm to be worse than Bush, we're early in this whole coronavirus thing and I'm not actually too sure Trump will wind up with a lower body count.

Relevantly, https://twitter.com/ksieff/status/1250197488159600640

also what glumslinger said about Trump flirting with an Iran war before and during the worst time possible

Guatemala doing a better job of testing than the USA lol

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yeah, basically. He was Obama’s VP, in case you don’t remember/that wasn’t already clear, and he was initially picked to be the “moderating, conservative” counterpoint to Obama’s image of “hope and change radicalism” so....yeah.

it was an experience thing. old guy to complement the guy who had been a senator for all of a few years. probably some ‘white guy’ as well to make elements of the electorate a little more comfortable with voting for a black guy for president though I’ve never seen anyone admit to that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

jiggerypokery posted:

Why do you have people "filed under 'swamp'"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

evilweasel posted:

obviously Obama did things people disagree with: he was president for eight years, if you couldn’t find something you disagree with that would also be a sign of a terminal brain deficiency. even Obama would find a bunch. but if you;re one of the people who genuinely hate the guy, that’s brain worms

Really telling on yourself here.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

evilweasel posted:

Lol I don't hate him more than anyone else, I don't even believe in his personhood. I just want to shake the rubes who like and support him, because they always have such a staggeringly blinkered view of reality that to get to "Obama condemned us all to a hellscape so he could get paid, and that's human nature for most people" requires 3 days lead time.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

evilweasel posted:

it was an experience thing. old guy to complement the guy who had been a senator for all of a few years. probably some ‘white guy’ as well to make elements of the electorate a little more comfortable with voting for a black guy for president though I’ve never seen anyone admit to that.

It was that Joe said a racist thing about Obama and Obama is slick AF and used it to look magnanimous

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

Guatemala doing a better job of testing than the USA lol

If you are not agressively testing any person coming out of the US you are loving asleep at the wheel. I can't wait for the worst of COVID to be winding down in the rest of the world while I can't travel internationally because the US has become an untested den of plague rats.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

All I’ll say is that a guy who couldn’t even win a primary in the 1980s is the best the Dems can do against a ball of orange hate here in 2020. The party still refuses to reckon with what happened in 2016 and chooses to ignore the lessons as to why they lost.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

So apparently a lot of boomers in my home state of MI are going to protest Whitmer today in Lansing by... driving their cars to Lansing and idling in the Capitol parking lot for a while. Just the most half-assed protest ever, because they are very Wet and Mad about their freedumbs

This is all because they can't go boating or visit their cabin up north, or buy garden supplies in sub 30 degree temps, which is obviously the equivalent of Nazi Germany in terms of policy :rolleyes:

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Apr 15, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

evilweasel posted:

I don’t think that’s entirely genuine either. I’ll maybe give you “generic late 20th century democrat,” but pre-WH Biden had a specific reputation for being a conservative Dem and a vanguard proponent of third-wayism, and one especially hawkish on race/drugs/entitlements/”general brown people issues”.

He was brought on as veep specifically to assuage the fears that Obama would be too much of a bleeding heart or that he would alienate older white voters. Like, its not serendipity that they went with the crime bill guy as Obama’s running mate.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Car Hater posted:

Lol I don't hate him more than anyone else, I don't even believe in his personhood.

Broke: Obama is a Secret Muslim

Woke: Obama is a Secret Replicant

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

TulliusCicero posted:

So apparently a lot of boomers in my home state of MI are going to protest Whitmer today in Lansing by... driving their cars to Lansing and idling in the Capitol parking lot for a while. Just the most half-assed protest ever, because they are very Wet and Mad about their freedumbs

Seems like a lot of effort when they could just idle their cars in their own garages, and breathe deeply of freedom

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TulliusCicero posted:

This is all because they can't go boating or visit their cabin up north, or buy garden supplies in sub 30 degree temps, which is obviously the equivalent of Nazi Germany in terms of policy :rolleyes:

God drat terrorist virus!!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Someone I know said they got a $1200 direct deposit from the IRS this morning.

They're not American and haven't lived/worked in the US for more than 2 years.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

eXXon posted:

Someone I know said they got a $1200 direct deposit from the IRS this morning.

They're not American and haven't lived/worked in the US for more than 2 years.

So they pay for Social Security.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ok Comboomer posted:

I don’t think that’s entirely genuine either. I’ll maybe give you “generic late 20th century democrat,” but pre-WH Biden had a specific reputation for being a conservative Dem and a vanguard proponent of third-wayism, and one especially hawkish on race/drugs/entitlements/”general brown people issues”.

He was brought on as veep specifically to assuage the fears that Obama would be too much of a bleeding heart or that he would alienate older white voters. Like, its not serendipity that they went with the crime bill guy as Obama’s running mate.

yeah but a lot of people change their views in 40 years

one of the most rabid “Bernie or bust down with Biden!!!1!1!!” people I know was publishing libertarian screeds a lot more recently than that and seems not to notice the contradiction :v:

Biden is running as a generic current democrat, which is why his platform is basically the squishy midpoint of the current party. and one of the key things that gets lost in these debates and requires a very long time teasing out is what differences are differences of ideology, versus methods (ie where do I want things to be, vs what is the best method and things to press for to accomplish the most good in moving towards where we agree we want to be in the next 4/8 years - things Bernie supporters constantly have issues differentiating).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

You have an absolutely delusional view of Biden and the party establishment and it's hilarious you think you can lecture anyone.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Biden is the Democrats 2012 Romney. He is a block of flavorless swiss cheese, full of holes and completely undesirable.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/revrrlewis/status/1250395628305362944

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

TulliusCicero posted:

Saw this in my local Facebook group lol

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

evilweasel posted:

yeah but a lot of people change their views in 40 years

one of the most rabid “Bernie or bust down with Biden!!!1!1!!” people I know was publishing libertarian screeds a lot more recently than that and seems not to notice the contradiction :v:

Biden is running as a generic current democrat, which is why his platform is basically the squishy midpoint of the current party. and one of the key things that gets lost in these debates and requires a very long time teasing out is what differences are differences of ideology, versus methods (ie where do I want things to be, vs what is the best method and things to press for to accomplish the most good in moving towards where we agree we want to be in the next 4/8 years - things Bernie supporters constantly have issues differentiating).

I don't give a gently caress what sort of degree you might have hanging on a wall somewhere, you're an idiot. This post stands as the only proof I need.

Biden is from Delaware, the credit card capital of the USA. The fact that someone who provided them the safe haven they needed to get fat and happy by skimming as much as they could off of the American people, plus the fact that he represents the current "Diet Evil" token opposition to the full on fascist death cult Republican party, an opposition that thinks what we really need to do is negotiate the raw numbers of the kids we lock in cages down just a tad and then we'll be OK, is considered the "squishy midpoint?" That speaks volumes. Speak to any European and Biden is a raving right wing loon by their standards. That's not because "lol, Europe" it's because our Overton window is turbofucked far right, and mewling lapdog plutocratic assholes like Biden are the reason why. Acting "concerned" and then actively defending the fascists' rights to imprison, kill or marginalize people (just maybe, not so many?) is not an opposition party. It's being the bootlickers of a corrupt system.

Congratulations on being one among their ranks.

Biden sucks.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

OperaMouse posted:

So they pay for Social Security.

Yes, but non-residents aren't supposed to qualify (which is hilarious as I've been here for more than 2 years but still won't qualify as a resident until July).

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Biden's time was 2016 and he would have crushed Hilary (if she would have even run if he was in it) and Trump easily then. Now he's had about 4 years of rot on him and is a little gross.

Funny thing is that Trump was campaigning HARD against Biden a couple of years ago and all I could think was no way is he going to be the nominee, what a dumb gently caress for pushing against Biden and ignoring the stacked Dem field.

How did this timeline come to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde