Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Newest meaning Doom Eternal? Because I'm seeing a lot of mixed reactions, myself. Not a lot of people seem to really like the Marauder enemies, for example, and they're everywhere. So it's at least not quite that clear-cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

The New School PC FPS Megathread: Gaming with rng-coloured guns

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Yep. 2016 had enough story to stay interesting but not enough to get in the way. Eternal is just stuffed with terrible writing and it drags down the pace.

I think Eternal is going to be one of those games everyone goes nuts for at release but a few months later people are gonna cool on it and remember it as over hyped. It isn't bad game but just a very uneven one.

It reminds me of Diablo 3 where D2 had enough story to give everything a nice context but it wasn't particularly well written and generally stayed on the margins. D3 doubled down on the lore and flooded you with terrible writing and it made for a worse experience. Game writing almost always benefits from restraint. D3 also had an orgasmic reaction at launch (aside from technical server bugs) but is now remembered as being mediocre until it was patched for years.

This is something I really appreciate about classic CRPG writing. I don't think most post-2000 RPGs have better writing they just have way way more of it. I'd like to see more games reject the contemporary structure of 'exhaust dialogue tree to get side quest, perform side quest, return and exhaust dialogue tree, get sidequest, etc' with occasionally a dialogue tree yielding a plot quest instead of a side one. I appreciate games stuffed with writing when its of exceptional quality (Disco being the best) but otherwise I'd prefer it to stand aside.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

I am staring Age of Decadence later today. Anything I should know? :)

BadAstronaut posted:

The New School PC FPS Megathread: Gaming with rng-coloured guns

:golfclap:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Tarquinn posted:

I am staring Age of Decadence later today. Anything I should know? :)

Save your skill points until you need them for a skill check, don't do anything fun like trying to make a fighter who joins a diplomatic guild as the game just won't allow it, be aware that you can end up in situations where choices you made an hour or two ago will lead you to a game over you won't be able to escape from and keep a lot of saves.

There are neat ideas in Age of Decadence, but it's a bad game overall.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Save your skill points until you need them for a skill check, don't do anything fun like trying to make a fighter who joins a diplomatic guild as the game just won't allow it, be aware that you can end up in situations where choices you made an hour or two ago will lead you to a game over you won't be able to escape from and keep a lot of saves.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

FuzzySlippers posted:

It reminds me of Diablo 3 where D2 had enough story to give everything a nice context but it wasn't particularly well written and generally stayed on the margins. D3 doubled down on the lore and flooded you with terrible writing and it made for a worse experience. Game writing almost always benefits from restraint. D3 also had an orgasmic reaction at launch (aside from technical server bugs) but is now remembered as being mediocre until it was patched for years.

This is something I really appreciate about classic CRPG writing. I don't think most post-2000 RPGs have better writing they just have way way more of it. I'd like to see more games reject the contemporary structure of 'exhaust dialogue tree to get side quest, perform side quest, return and exhaust dialogue tree, get sidequest, etc' with occasionally a dialogue tree yielding a plot quest instead of a side one. I appreciate games stuffed with writing when its of exceptional quality (Disco being the best) but otherwise I'd prefer it to stand aside.
The biggest problem is editing. If you're writing a story that you're passionate about, that's been in your head, that you really think people will enjoy? Writing words becomes the easy part and the tough part becomes cutting words - being willing to admit parts that won't matter to players, removing extraneous descriptions/information, cold-bloodedly dumping entire paragraphs, etc. Instead, a lot of video game editing falls mostly to the side of "just look for typos and check grammar".

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

MagusofStars posted:

The biggest problem is editing. If you're writing a story that you're passionate about, that's been in your head, that you really think people will enjoy? Writing words becomes the easy part and the tough part becomes cutting words - being willing to admit parts that won't matter to players, removing extraneous descriptions/information, cold-bloodedly dumping entire paragraphs, etc. Instead, a lot of video game editing falls mostly to the side of "just look for typos and check grammar".
Speaking as someone who is into creative writing, I can really confirm this. When you edit for someone, the hardest thing to do is to make them get rid of something that shouldn't be there or even just doesn't need to be there. A common writing aphorism is that a well-written story shouldn't contain a single word that is not needed. Would the absence of a given sentence or paragraph make your story meaningfully worse? If not, then remove it.

If you put a decent, professional-level editor on your average video game story, they would end up cutting three quarters of it, I'm fairly sure. On the other hand, the fact that a lot of the corpus of a video game is implicitly optional (a player can pass through the entire story without necessarily seeing all of it) also makes that approach not always as fruitful as you'd want it to be.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Arivia posted:

Quake was originally supposed to be an RPG starring Quake, one of their RPG characters.
Not quite! It's been discussed multiple times elsewhere, but it's more than since someone had a RPG character called Quake the name would end up popping up in multiple projects. But the RPG-like thing starring Quake wasn't Quake, it was The Fight For Justice, a 2d thing which never came out. It's kinda like how several Bullfrog games were named Creation while being worked on, or how Demitri was both Lionhead's Black & White and Milo & Kate.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I mean, are there any pure RPGs from the past couple of decades without too much dialog?

Obviously you can skip like 99% of the talking in many games if you know what you are doing. I just mean are there any games that are unarguably RPGs where even if you explore the game and meet the world's inhabitants that you do not end up forgetting the names of the people from the opening area by ten hours in?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dr. Quarex posted:

I mean, are there any pure RPGs from the past couple of decades without too much dialog?

Obviously you can skip like 99% of the talking in many games if you know what you are doing. I just mean are there any games that are unarguably RPGs where even if you explore the game and meet the world's inhabitants that you do not end up forgetting the names of the people from the opening area by ten hours in?
I was going to craft a post about how Soul Calibur is an RPG but in the meantime I'll say the Souls games

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Dr. Quarex posted:

Dark Souls? There's barely any dialogue at all, really, only the absolute basics.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Souls also doesn't really have dialogue trees. It may have a tiny menu with a couple topics here and there but nothing like the usual post-2000 labyrinthine dialogue trees.

MagusofStars posted:

Yeah aggressive editing would improve game writing. Road Not Taken was an interesting puzzle game with a nicely subtle story and the dev said he had actually written lots of dialogue to tell the story but he spent a long time polishing the game and over time ended up removing most of it. The result still tells the same story but is far more interesting and fits the austerity of the mood.

Unfortunately a lot of games don't get that extended polish phase where you can ruminate on the writing and remove the extraneous. It's a shame because even games with good writing could usually lose half their word count and be improved since it would emphasize their best writing rather than bury it. RPGs have a problem in general with chasing quantity at the expense of quality but its particularly bad for writing (having 3 normal novels worth of dialogue is not a good thing when its sub licensed fiction quality).

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cardiovorax posted:

Speaking as someone who is into creative writing, I can really confirm this. When you edit for someone, the hardest thing to do is to make them get rid of something that shouldn't be there or even just doesn't need to be there. A common writing aphorism is that a well-written story shouldn't contain a single word that is not needed. Would the absence of a given sentence or paragraph make your story meaningfully worse? If not, then remove it.

If you put a decent, professional-level editor on your average video game story, they would end up cutting three quarters of it, I'm fairly sure. On the other hand, the fact that a lot of the corpus of a video game is implicitly optional (a player can pass through the entire story without necessarily seeing all of it) also makes that approach not always as fruitful as you'd want it to be.

Yeah it's tricky in RPGs especially since often side content can be as if not more memorable than the main story. That's kind of The Witcher's whole thing. It also gets complicated because in the really good RPGs, side content often has thematic resonance to the main story even if it doesn't have narrative significance. Like for a recent example you can look at Disco Elysium, where a ton of that game is just meandering around doing anything but trying to solve the main case, but it works to build up the world of the game and lets you see how everything in the world is connected, which is ultimately something that is relevant to the main story even if none of that information is actually used in the resolution.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

JustJeff88 posted:

I tried the newest Doom recently and I did not like it. Firstly, it was phenomenally hard in my experience, and secondly the focus on melee range and minimal ammo was not fun. To each their own and all that, but the fact that this thing is getting such good player feedback (I put zero stock in "professional reviewers") is baffling to me.

play it like first-person Devil May Cry, not like a regular shooter, and you'll have way more fun

e: like, the way 2016 was pretty noticeably influenced by Brutal Doom, I feel like Eternal is similarly cribbing from Demonsteele

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Chev posted:

Not quite! It's been discussed multiple times elsewhere, but it's more than since someone had a RPG character called Quake the name would end up popping up in multiple projects. But the RPG-like thing starring Quake wasn't Quake, it was The Fight For Justice, a 2d thing which never came out. It's kinda like how several Bullfrog games were named Creation while being worked on, or how Demitri was both Lionhead's Black & White and Milo & Kate.

Oh whoops! I remembered the synopsis screen with Quake on it, but had the title wrong I guess. Thanks.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

play it like first-person Devil May Cry, not like a regular shooter, and you'll have way more fun

e: like, the way 2016 was pretty noticeably influenced by Brutal Doom, I feel like Eternal is similarly cribbing from Demonsteele

I never much cared for DMC, which might explain why I did not like Doom Eternal. Mind you, original Doom, brutal doom, Doom 3 etc I have enjoyed one and all.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Thanks again. I find the game to be quite enjoyable actually.

:ssh: Though I might have modded it to give me triple the normal XP rewards. :devil:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It's a really fun game if you cheat in some skill points so you have more than one option in any given situation. If you don't, it's basically just a very overtuned wind-up toy where you create a very interesting character and watch them go through the one story that works for them

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm finally playing Voidspire Tactics, I'm not sure how much it belongs here since it's heavily FFT influenced but (a) it's also heavily Ultima 7 influenced and more crucially (b) I don't care.

I'm like half an hour in and already getting anxiety about how much I should be subclassing/changing class, it seems fairly generous with exp but I have no idea how long the game will be, how much/if at all I can grind up classes to experiment with, how I should be branching out my characters... this is a stupid quibble for what seems like a great flexible game but I wish I had six characters :( there are 18 classes!

I definitely feel like it favours magic users, at the moment I have a brawler/warrior, a rogue/scout, a scholar/scout and a scholar/warrior. The latter two were just to... give them subclasses really, assuming that doesn't have any downside.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm finally playing Voidspire Tactics, I'm not sure how much it belongs here since it's heavily FFT influenced but (a) it's also heavily Ultima 7 influenced and more crucially (b) I don't care.

I'm like half an hour in and already getting anxiety about how much I should be subclassing/changing class, it seems fairly generous with exp but I have no idea how long the game will be, how much/if at all I can grind up classes to experiment with, how I should be branching out my characters... this is a stupid quibble for what seems like a great flexible game but I wish I had six characters :( there are 18 classes!

I definitely feel like it favours magic users, at the moment I have a brawler/warrior, a rogue/scout, a scholar/scout and a scholar/warrior. The latter two were just to... give them subclasses really, assuming that doesn't have any downside.

Voidspire is pretty good about experience, if you really feel compelled to grind some encounters will respawn eventually. The only classes that I remember being important to "rush" were brawler, blade, or shiftcloak depending on if you wanted to be dual wielding knuckles, knives, or crossbows respectively. If not then you can just branch out wherever at your own pace, the games balanced around the idea that experience is going to get spread around on a first playthrough.

Theres no penalty for taking a subclass, all it does is let you use abilities you've already unlocked. Your main class is the one that effects your player sprite/stat bonuses. A subclass doesn't do anything if you don't actually have any abilities unlocked in it though, unless I'm horribly misremembering.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Why am I playing NES Pool of Radiance again?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Halloween Jack posted:

idk but you should play the Buck Rogers game released on Genesis if you haven't.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Halloween Jack posted:

I think that is called BDSM in Place.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Lately I’ve been playing Underrail, which is a more modern game very much in the vein of Fallout 1 and 2. It has sunk its hold in deep, so much so that when I got to an area about a quarter of the way in that kept stomping my teeth in, I rolled up a new character instead of shelving it.

Like Fallout, you have a wide pool of stats, skills, and feats (perks) to pick from at creation and level up. My first character was spread too thin and eschewed psychic powers, but he was a scrub who had to cheese fights with solo dogs. My new character is a tank with some psi power and I don’t don’t know if I’ve been lucky with loot rolls but this time I’m coasting through encounters. Found a sniper rifle and had the stats to use it, which has turned into a click-to-kill button for most encounters.

I know I’m still very new to the game but I feel inspired to write up some early game guide or expand on the Before I Play entry. Pick a handful of skills and master them, don’t spread out. Grenades are cheap and clean up early encounters with multiple people easily. Always try to engage multiple enemies through a bottle neck.

I just hope I don’t finish this area and get somewhere new only to find that I’m still not quite optimized and start having problems again.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
You likely will. I gave up after three poorly optimized attempts.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I don't know much about that game, but I know by osmosis that PSI is something you either go all-in on or are better off ignoring. No middle ground.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

LawfulWaffle posted:

Lately I’ve been playing Underrail, which is a more modern game very much in the vein of Fallout 1 and 2. It has sunk its hold in deep, so much so that when I got to an area about a quarter of the way in that kept stomping my teeth in, I rolled up a new character instead of shelving it.

Like Fallout, you have a wide pool of stats, skills, and feats (perks) to pick from at creation and level up. My first character was spread too thin and eschewed psychic powers, but he was a scrub who had to cheese fights with solo dogs. My new character is a tank with some psi power and I don’t don’t know if I’ve been lucky with loot rolls but this time I’m coasting through encounters. Found a sniper rifle and had the stats to use it, which has turned into a click-to-kill button for most encounters.

I know I’m still very new to the game but I feel inspired to write up some early game guide or expand on the Before I Play entry. Pick a handful of skills and master them, don’t spread out. Grenades are cheap and clean up early encounters with multiple people easily. Always try to engage multiple enemies through a bottle neck.

I just hope I don’t finish this area and get somewhere new only to find that I’m still not quite optimized and start having problems again.

the before you play for underrail tips were wrote by me (if you mean this one https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=UnderRail ). I'd strongly recommend waiting until you go all the way through the game to see how good your build is. Things get extremely harder as you go, and the game will poo poo on you without previous notice. Once I was done with my struggling first go around with the game, my second playthrough build completely trivialized the game (and just shits all over the expansion), the key points are in the before you play section. Basically have a shitload of electronics, get the electronics perk and create the strongest shield you can and that will increase your survivability immensely. If you need tips I'm around. I'd also recommend not skipping the plot spoilers section. They spoil little, and only things you'll be super pissed off to figure out on your own.

For reference my build was (trying to remember here since I don't have the game installed right now):

stats: maxed out dex and agility, almost maxed out int, middling STR, very low in everything else. all in on dex on level ups

skills: melee , stealth, hacking, lockpicking, all the crafting skills besides bio and chem.

forgot the perks but the most important ones are the extra battery capacity, weakness exploit, expertise, fast punches, that one that buffs damage on causing bleeds, combo and a ton of crit based ones (vile weaponry and others)

initial strategy: craft a taser with electronics for the cheapest and best cc in the game. get the mats to craft some pneumatic bladed gloves and a cloaking device, you can get them super early on. you'll be able to fight decently and also have a lot of CC which is the key here.
But stealth will get you through some hard parts until you reach core city and start getting shield parts. Now you have to get the best quality shield pieces and have enough electronics to build a fully kitted out shield with all optional pieces. You'll get like effective 1500HP or something, which will trivialize a ton of combats and make combat "fair" besides some unavoidable BS that you can savescum through. Being a tank is meaningless in my build since the shield will do everything for you survivability wise. Eventually you get access to super good tailoring materials to build armor that massively enhances your crit chance. This build allowed me to one round all enemies in the game and usually kill 3-4 per turn while keeping everyone CCd.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 30, 2020

regular mike
Mar 29, 2010
I played a full on Psi character and had an absolute blast with it; if I ever hit a brick wall I could just go somewhere else and find an easier way to level up. I could imagine hitting a brick wall near the end if you pass the point-of-no-return without being ready, though.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Just use something like Cheat Engine to cheat your status/skills up if you play Underrail, there's no shame in it. The balance is so terrible it'll just be an exercise in frustration otherwise, unless you read a guide to min-max your character to extremes. And even then there's no guarantee.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I was a psi punchmaster and it was fine, I beat most of the super tough fights by locking the enemy in a psi... cage... thing? and keeping them in one place while I beat the gently caress out of them

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
the biggest advice I can give about underrail though: don't get the dlc. repetitive dungeons (as in, literally the same facility tileset/floor plan/enemies 4 times in a row), very small enemy pool of super annoying enemies and travel by sea mechanic that just makes the slow rear end movement and long transition load times 10 times worse. You'll spend 5-10 mins just getting to any mission at all since they're 15-20 blocks away from where you are (15-20 blocks of nothing but open water maps), and there are special missions that force you to stop whatever you're doing and head back the base for defense. There are extra levels but the enemies don't get that much harder as you go so I kept going with like 5 banked levels. I didn't finish and I don't know if I ever will.

They are working on another, probably final expansion though. If they'll take the feedback on this one who knows.

Edit: they actually decided to work on a standalone game with engine updates. I think that's a good move, we'll see how it goes 5 years for now or so

nerdz fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 30, 2020

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The DLC was so disappointing, it seemed like the kind of game where an expansion could be really great and focused. I do hope we get a sequel because I'm interested in where they could have gone with it

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The DLC was so disappointing, it seemed like the kind of game where an expansion could be really great and focused. I do hope we get a sequel because I'm interested in where they could have gone with it

their proposal is a new campaign set in a different region of underrail (probably upper underrail) with a new MC. That could work if they decide to advance the plot

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Alright, this question has probably been asked a dozen of times, however the proper thread is 5 years dead.

What's the recommended party build for Wizardry 6?

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
As with every Wizardry game, 6 Bishops is the way to go

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

quantumfoam posted:

Alright, this question has probably been asked a dozen of times, however the proper thread is 5 years dead.

drat you just made me sad to remember the days when there was an active Wizardry thread here

I think the proper advice is "make a party that seems like it would work in any generic fantasy game and keep in mind that optimal party composition means switching classes once levels start taking too long to advance." Or something like that.

But yes six bishops (I never did that; hell, the party I won and took through to VII did not even change classes)

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Skip 6 and 7 and go straight to 8

(I could never get into 6 I just found it annoying)

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

quantumfoam posted:

Because the class change system in 6/7 is so flexible, the secret about Wizardry 6 is that what you pick as your starting classes (and to a lesser extent, races) is largely irrelevant because you'll end up changing classes at some point anyway.

What's more important than starting classes, though, is starting equipment because some of the stuff some classes start with is nearly impossible to find elsewhere. The best example of this is the Bard, who gets a Lute (Poet's Lute in 7) which not only is really hard to get otherwise but is a fantastic item for the early game.

Honorable mentions include the armor a Ninja starts with, and the helmet a Bishop starts with. Losing the Bishop mitre is no big deal, Ninja armor is more annoying if you ever want to use a ninja, but definitely start with a Bard for the Lute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I really, really wanted to like Underrail. The appeal of Fallout like games to me is robust options for character building that go beyond their role in combat, and flexible/reactive quest decisions. Underrail seemed like it was going for that, but everything about the game it seem like a chore to play. As I recall, the user interface required you to select say, an individual lockpick from your inventory to pick a locked door, rather than being able to right-click a door and select "pick lock" from a drop down menu. Perhaps I missed something. And merchants were extremely picky about which products they would buy from you. Not just "doctor's won't buy guns" but weapon merchants will only purchase specific types of guns.

There's promise in the game for sure. But I suspect these annoyances were deliberate design choices out of a misguided sense of what constitutes "hardcore" or "deep" gameplay. I don't really see the depth that these features add. More like tedium. Also, following the beforeiplay guide, i was able to make a character that could survive most fights, but the fights were slow slogs.

ATOM RPG has its flaws, some of which overlap with Underrail's, but I still had a lot of fun with it.

Anyone tried out the Encased Early Access? It looks interesting and I bought it throw the developers some cash, but am curious as to whether its worth diving into yet.