Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I don't think EAH is hankering for the EU2 days.
Yeah, whenever people talk about this type of stuff, the criticism usually seems to be that the system is too railroady even if it doesn't force things as such. The whole thing with Austria's early personal unions would work far better as part of a simplified dynastic system with predefined claims for existing players, that can then dynamically respond to what's happening in the world.

Like, Austria should already have a claim on both Bohemia and Hungary at the start of the game through Ladislaus, allowing it to enforce a personal union early if able - as long as Ladislaus is alive. Conversely, the Diet of Hungary might try to find another candidate elsewhere or to elevate one of their own to counteract this. This might not make that much difference at the start of the game, though Poland forming a personal union with Hungary at this point could bolster it to the point that it becomes a real monster, but making a dynamic system would mean historical claims at the start of the game could linger depending on the circumstances while new ones arise in a somewhat more predictable way - and thus succession wars could also get a bit more lead up, as everyone can figure out the obvious consequence of specific marriages. I know I've said it before, but dynasties really should get far more love in EU5 - the most famous ones are in the EU period!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
the issue with missions in eu4 isnt that they give you a guided thing to do - that is actually one of the best part of missions in eu4. the issue is that internal management is close to nonexistent so the only thing that missions do revolve around claims and unions. nothing in the mission tree stops anything dynamic from happening, it just gives you more static options to choose from in addition to anything dynamic happening. they just need to add more complex, meaningful internal management and then have the mission system also interact with that.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

the issue with missions in eu4 isnt that they give you a guided thing to do - that is actually one of the best part of missions in eu4. the issue is that internal management is close to nonexistent so the only thing that missions do revolve around claims and unions. nothing in the mission tree stops anything dynamic from happening, it just gives you more static options to choose from in addition to anything dynamic happening. they just need to add more complex, meaningful internal management and then have the mission system also interact with that.

they feel like their own, rigid system sitting on top of the more-dynamic systems. what would be more interesting is a fully dynamic system pre-seeded with historical circumstances.

there's no way a player can create circumstances as ironclad or predictable or immediately comprehensible as the circumstances austria gets from its missions.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

they feel like their own, rigid system sitting on top of the more-dynamic systems. what would be more interesting is a fully dynamic system pre-seeded with historical circumstances.

there's no way a player can create circumstances as ironclad or predictable or immediately comprehensible as the circumstances austria gets from its missions.

the game is literally full of historical events that are not particularly dynamic

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

the game is literally full of historical events that are not particularly dynamic

and people are criticizing that, using austria's missions as one particularly obvious example!

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

and people are criticizing that, using austria's missions as one particularly obvious example!

its literally the exact same as the iberian wedding or burgundian inheritance or so on except you have more control over it as a player. having control over things is good in a strategy game and having rng for literally every element of the game is actually very boring.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Sampatrick posted:

They're never going to add more complex, meaningful internal management because EU4 isn't a game about running a country, it's a war game with a lot of flavour text that alludes to running a country. I don't even know if they'd lean more towards internal management in EU5, as Imperator on release was very clearly further iterating on a lot of EU4's features, and on release it was also very much a war game rather than a management/war hybrid.

It's a shame because 'running a country in the early modern period' is a very interesting idea for a game, but EU4 isn't really focused on the internal management side and no other game on the market really deals with that subject. The only things that come close tend to operate at the city level, like Anno, or Civ, which is much more arcade-y.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Cease to Hope posted:

The ridiculous modifier is actually 5%. That is actually really high, but see what I mean about invention chances being super unintuitive?

Not really, I was just mixing it up with Mission to Civilise which has a bunch of +25% modifiers.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA9dHJVVI_0

this is gripping. GRIPPING!

Amazing how consistent EU4 has been
Interesting that HOI4 got such a big boost a good few years after release
It's funny how every Stellaris DLC there's a huuuge boost where everyone is like "is it good now??" and then it drops back immediately when they're like "nope"
The funniest bit happens at 7:32

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The greatest strength of Stellaris is that there's a huge amount of people that really want to like it, for better or worse

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

fuf posted:

It's funny how every Stellaris DLC there's a huuuge boost where everyone is like "is it good now??" and then it drops back immediately when they're like "nope"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

AnEdgelord posted:

The greatest strength of Stellaris is that there's a huge amount of people that really want to like it, for better or worse

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lmao rome in a neck and neck battle with... vicky2???

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
hey paradox if ancient, broken rear end vicky2 is beating your new hotness maybe its time for vicky3??

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I get the miserable bastards still playing Victoria 2, as there's no replacement, but the ~150 sick fucks still playing EU3 confuse me greatly.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I think Stellaris is just the least replayable, or the one played most by people who are more casual Paradox fans. People aren’t going to buy so much DLC for a game that’s just thought of as bad. See Imperator and it’s multiple free weekends.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lmao rome in a neck and neck battle with... vicky2???

Couldn't hold it's own against Battletech, needed an easier rival lol.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
To be clear I also really want to like Stellaris

This latest dlc is probably the best they've ever done but like always it just feels like something is missing

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

A couple years ago I'd have said I'd give my left nut for Vicky 3.

But I really don't know that Paradox can do it anymore. Stellaris is fine, Imperator was and is bad. And that doesn't bode well for Vicky 3, though Wiz working on it at least gives us a glimmer of hope.

prove me wrong bitches

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Stellaris keeps spiking because of casual fans of it, like most of my friends. I'm genuinely shocked at how consistently HoI 4 tops that list though. Feel bad for Imperator, it's not great but it's not that awful.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Sampatrick posted:

its literally the exact same as the iberian wedding or burgundian inheritance or so on except you have more control over it as a player. having control over things is good in a strategy game and having rng for literally every element of the game is actually very boring.
The choice is not between random events and missions, it's between missions and gameplay systems with more interactivity and strategy. It's asking for Paradox to go further with the interactivity, not to take it away. Each new version of EU is an improvement on this, but that doesn't mean the EU4 solution is great. What I (and I think a lot of others) want is for there to be a dynamic system which allows the kind of dynastic trickery that Austria did historically, in a somewhat predictable way, but without having to stick to their historical partners. Also for any country where that sort of dynastic shenanigans was expected to be able to play the same game (which mostly means Europe I think?). The Victoria influence system might be something to take a little inspiration from, the way it allowed diplomatic conflict over a specific country without having to escalate into full out war. Now I'm not saying that was perfectly executed, but the dynamic of having to butter up a country and other states realizing what you were doing and reacting to it would be perfect for the dynastic game of EU5.

Say royal marriages were something you didn't just throw out willy-nilly, but based on a limited resource of royal princes and princesses, and took a long time to arrange. During all this time your rivals have a chance to respond to your obvious attempt at ruining the balance of power in Europe, with their options being everything from just trying to ruin your chances behind the scenes, trying to do the marriage themselves, or asking your firmly but politely to cease your nonsense and find a less offensive match, or just rounding up some allies to go kick your rear end before you unite two powerhouses. This would allow you to make meaningful strategic decisions, both proactive and reactive, with obvious rewards you have to weigh off against a not entirely clear risk. It happening over a more drawn out schedule would also mean that your ability to react to the system would be strengthened: It's one thing to get asked whether you wish to contest France inheriting Spain with no warning, it's another to be aware that the French are trying to secure a marriage that will see them inherit the Spanish crown if the middle aged Spanish king doesn't produce a male heir, giving you time to try to sabotage it or at least prepare for a showdown a little down the road.

E: Importantly perhaps for the general gameplay of the EU games, this is all about creating new paths to conflict, there's very little internal management or stuff like that. It's also the kind of conflict you can do in your "down time" between wars.

Cynic Jester posted:

I get the miserable bastards still playing Victoria 2, as there's no replacement, but the ~150 sick fucks still playing EU3 confuse me greatly.
They're all playing Magna Mundi, and are right to do so.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 15, 2020

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Huh, I always thought Ck2 was more popular than that. I guess my own biases were blinding me.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hellioning posted:

Huh, I always thought Ck2 was more popular than that. I guess my own biases were blinding me.
I think maybe that by the time the video started its popularity had already started to wane a bit, maybe?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Woah is HOI4 actually good now? I haven't played in a while obviously.

I got turned off by things like phone mana, talent trees, and having to assign a bunch of tiny armies to a front under a field marshal.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I think maybe that by the time the video started its popularity had already started to wane a bit, maybe?

That, plus CK2 has always been a game that more people talk about than play. EU4, HOI4, and Stellaris are wargames with some economic/social/political gloss, so they're a lot more straightforward to play but don't lend themselves as well to stories. (Then I painted the whole map my color!)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I remember playing EU3 with EU3+ into 2015 over EU4, but I don't remember what exactly I didn't like about EU4.

And I think HoI4 kind of straddles a line- going off of people I see streaming it on twitch anyway. It gets the usual Paradox crowd but also a shitton more people interested in "competitive" MP games. Like I see people who mainly stream FPS streaming HoI4 MP and never any other PDS games.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 15, 2020

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
That's true. The historical option for HOI4 (either selected in SP or enforced in MP) is probably the most "balanced" thing in Paradox's catalogue.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Its also hard to overstate how popular World War 2 is as a setting. There was a period where people complained about the tidal wave of ww2 games but there was a reson that many got made.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Stellaris is a fantastic game idk why y'all think it's not good

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Imperator is good now, but i might be the only person who plays it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Sampatrick posted:

Spoken about the game where one week ago their special Streamer Showmatch Thing involved someone running away with the game because they triggered a bug which gave them infinite alloys.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Stellaris is like two steps forward one step back but also lets throw some twirling in random directions as well

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

Spoken about the game where one week ago their special Streamer Showmatch Thing involved someone running away with the game because they triggered a bug which gave them infinite alloys.

oh no, a bug in a video game! what a disaster, surely that never happens in any other games ever. c'mon, this is an incredibly disingenuous statement. there are issues with stellaris, and especially with how stellaris balances some of the civics, but this is a really dumb thing to say is the big issue with stellaris.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

fuf posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA9dHJVVI_0

this is gripping. GRIPPING!

Amazing how consistent EU4 has been
Interesting that HOI4 got such a big boost a good few years after release
The funniest bit happens at 7:32

Whew, I never quite grasped before just how much of a flop IR was.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

a bug on a test branch ain't exactly five o'clock news ray

Sampatrick posted:

the ui is ugly and sometimes inscrutable, the ai isn't good at posing a challenge or covering minor management tasks so you don't have to micromanage your planets, and the game chugs badly at endgame.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 15, 2020

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Cease to Hope posted:

a bug on a test branch ain't exactly five o'clock news ray

Yeah ok that specific one, sure. I know you didn't actually think I was complaining because there was one bug one time. There is always a big bug, or an AI problem, or some kinda poo poo that's just wrong at all times with that game. If it's not the infinite alloys it's the AI can't upgrade starbases. If it's not AI can't upgrade starbases it's the fleet manager is broken. If it's not the fleet manager is broken it's ethics attraction not functioning. The last one is a trick actually, that's never functioned from the start. The point is it's always something, forever.

I guess at least once tiles went away you stopped getting "literally every conquered planet is starving pops on undeveloped land".

And yeah that was just my spicy take example. It doesn't even get into balancee, design decisions, etc as sampatrick alluded to... which I dunno I guess he thought sounded better???

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 15, 2020

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

CK2 predates Paradox's move to Steam, remember. It's that old.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
No it doesn't.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
also eu4 is only a year older lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

the ui is ugly and sometimes inscrutable, the ai isn't good at posing a challenge or covering minor management tasks so you don't have to micromanage your planets, and the game chugs badly at endgame.

i agree with these critiques but also they apply equally to literally every single paradox game