Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

sassassin posted:

You people have hosed up hands by the sound of it.

Hands are ok now that I actively deal with the calluses before waiting for it to get bad.

Feet definitely are hosed up tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Try soaking them in burnt motor and/or water contaminated hydraulic oil then cleaning them off with starting fluid several times a day.

This keeps my hands supple and clean.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

sassassin posted:

You people have hosed up hands by the sound of it.

For reals, just treat it like a sport injury and give it a couple weeks or your hands will be jacked up until you do

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

My palms look like they're made out of deli ham after working out.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Whipstickagostop posted:

I have done the same. Try to make the platform at least 2 metres wide and put it with the first layer perpendicular to the floor joists as close to the supporting wall as you can.

Mine is strips of MDF going perpendicular to the joists, then strips of plywood going parallel covered by 5mm mats. I put it straight down on top of the carpet and screwed the plywood down to the MDF. Need to either staple or glue the mats down as they can shift a bit.

Perfectly stable for squatting (managed 165kg so far), and fine for deadlifts (177.5kg for 5 reps) as long as you control the weight on the way down. I wouldn't really want to go much heavier than 200kgs for either though, as I am in a 1st floor (or 2nd floor for American) flat. Thankfully it is just an open fronted garage below me so I don't have to worry about upsetting downstairs neighbours, but it is still only timber joists. I expect if you lived in a newer place with metal joists or reinforced concrete you could go heavier.

I am also not a structural engineer so don't blame me if you fall into the core of the planet.

Thanks for the breakdown. I'm basically living in a basement so I don't have to worry about anyone underneath, but the floors are wood and its a condo so if I shake the building I'll probably be killed in my sleep. I'm trying to convince myself that if I put down mats, put the platform on that and also use bumper plates everything will be fine. Unfortunately I am not a... Gentle deadlifter.

Deadlifting myself to the center of the earth is easily in my top 5 ways to go out.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Guyver posted:

Try soaking them in burnt motor and/or water contaminated hydraulic oil then cleaning them off with starting fluid several times a day.

This keeps my hands supple and clean.

That does not sound healthy friend.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

Mustached Demon posted:

That does not sound healthy friend.

just grow tumors on your hands instead of calluses, duh

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Healthy is for people that think they'll live long enough to get cancer.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

ages ago I saw some video on youtube where bas rutten is wearing special gloves for exercise underwater. basically they look like frog hands, increasing the amount of resistance when you move. anyone know what they are called, and where I can get them?

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime
These?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Yeah, that's it. Good to know it's not specialized stuff and actually affordable.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I think these home workouts are paying off, feeling pretty meaty lately

https://twitter.com/pqoshomensmorre/status/1250408131919781893?s=21

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
mournful pecs

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

Nap Ghost
How the hell did this synthol nonsense start anyways? It's not like steroids are hard to get. I'm pretty sure they're safer than injecting gallons on random goo into yourself.

turd in my singlet fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 15, 2020

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

turd in my singlet posted:

How the hell did this synthol nonsense start anyways? It's not like steroids are hard to get. I'm pretty sure they're safer than injecting gallons on random goo into yourself.

what if you want to make only one particular muscle really big

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

turd in my singlet posted:

If you take steroids you still have to actually lift weights and train, and that's hard work.

RamboMoe
Aug 12, 2005

This account was a birthday gift from my brother. I wanted an RC car. Fuck you.

gohuskies posted:

If you take steroids you still have to actually lift weights and train, and that's hard work.

Research done on mice shows that steroid use will make muscles grow a lot even when not exposed to more stimulation. Nontraining doped mice had more muscle growth than trained nondoped mice.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24167222/

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Yeah but they've cured cancer and baldness in mice a million times and look where humans are.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

We just bought a pair of stands
They're either going out on the condo balcony, or put the table that we eat at into storage and squat in the "dining" area.

This is the desperation to squat right now.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

MA-Horus posted:

We just bought a pair of stands
They're either going out on the condo balcony, or put the table that we eat at into storage and squat in the "dining" area.

This is the desperation to squat right now.
Did you buy them online?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Good news guys, gyms are gonna be opened in phase 1 of reintroducing society so we'll all be able to lift in complete safety and confidence with other people soon

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

nooneofconsequence posted:

Did you buy them online?

Yeah. And by "bought" they're backordered so they'll be available some time in may, maybe?

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Good news guys, gyms are gonna be opened in phase 1 of reintroducing society so we'll all be able to lift in complete safety and confidence with other people soon

How are plague squat variations?

Also I imagine the steam room is a great place to not pick up the roni

bomb fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 18, 2020

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I haven't done anything but bodyweight squats. At first I was too depressed to brother then I had some non-roni health issues. Now I'm just benching and deadlifting baby weight until it's nice enough to take my bar outside for ohp and maybe cleans. I'm hoping to pick up a stand if I get any trump bux.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

I need a flag to hang behind my rack, any suggestions? I’d throw a vanity mirror there but I usually don’t squat or DL facing the wall

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Youtube has taught me every gym needs a don't tread on me flag and a slingshot banner

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Youtube has taught me every gym needs a don't tread on me flag and a slingshot banner

I’d be more inclined to have a don’t bread on me flag tbh

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

No Spartan helmet flag?

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

Nap Ghost
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006HDIVK/

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

The day before they shut down I left my best band at the gym and someone stole it. I didn't even get the chance to glare at people the next day.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

bomb posted:

I need a flag to hang behind my rack, any suggestions? I’d throw a vanity mirror there but I usually don’t squat or DL facing the wall

You need a better image of this that's good enough to print on a flag

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

gohuskies posted:

You need a better image of this that's good enough to print on a flag

I would definitely hang this up

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Had to get the chalk for today's garden OHP session. Too nice out. Too sweaty.

Rowing's been one step forward two steps back for a while because my hip/adductor issue has flared up. Good girl machine in the gym used to fix it right up until they replaced it with a new, lovely model, and then closed lmao rip.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

sassassin posted:

Had to get the chalk for today's garden OHP session. Too nice out. Too sweaty.

Rowing's been one step forward two steps back for a while because my hip/adductor issue has flared up. Good girl machine in the gym used to fix it right up until they replaced it with a new, lovely model, and then closed lmao rip.

Have you ever warmed up with clam shell exercises? If you're feeling extra bendy you can drive the bottom knee into the ground and raise your hip up.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I've lost a crazy amount of front rack mobility in 3 weeks. Also probably gonna die doing lifts on warped plywood on uneven ground but hopefully it will be quick.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Anyone else feel like the weight just moves more easily during the middle working sets than either the first or last sets? I mean, it makes sense for the last set, but it always surprises me that the first set feels more difficult than the one immediately after.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

It makes perfect sense. You're dialing in your form and getting used to the weight on the first set. Your second set you aren't fatigued yet but you're mechanically efficient and you're past the psychological oh poo poo that's heavy moment.

E: same reason the second rep on a set of deadlifts is the easiest.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

Have you ever warmed up with clam shell exercises? If you're feeling extra bendy you can drive the bottom knee into the ground and raise your hip up.

Also copenhagen planks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

CNS is fired up by then