Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

harrisburg PA has protests and demo stations that size every week lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

shovelbum posted:

the second home thing drives me crazy, my friend inherited a property in shithole like central northern ish michigan, poor lovely bitter cold area, and we found out when we tried to hunt it that his like broke rear end neighbors had poached every ounce of animal protein off it over the years it was abandoned before his uncle died, theres just not enuf LIVE OFF THE LAND to support much of anyone

the saginaw gratiot state game area i used to light pack in is just a graveyard of deer corpses w/the antlers and backstraps hacked off

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

seattle plague rat posted:

the saginaw gratiot state game area i used to light pack in is just a graveyard of deer corpses w/the antlers and backstraps hacked off

there wasnt poo poo left on this place but like hooves man those guys were eating the bones i guess

but yeah the state forests up by traverse city were just like u said

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1250526823252922368

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

shovelbum posted:

there wasnt poo poo left on this place but like hooves man those guys were eating the bones i guess

but yeah the state forests up by traverse city were just like u said

you sure the predators were humans and not wolves?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

WarEternal posted:

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/1250470831924207616

This is the beginning of the propaganda effort to "open" on May 1st.

"the governor taking away the jobs of over 1 million residents, then not allowing many of those residents to file for jobless benefits"

lol, what? because the underfunded unemployment office can't handle a million people in a week? drat governor.

anyone who thought Italy was the worst possible outcome, lol

the GOP is openly organizing interference with quarantine efforts, this is going to be worse than any of us really imagine

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Spime Wrangler posted:

Been watching the IHME for a few days. Took a couple screenshots after the last two model updates because there's ~zero~ backwards-looking validation going on.

Their model is a loving joke and it does everyone a disservice that they made such a slick, confidence-inspiring interface with nice smooth lines.

While posting this I noticed today's numbers came out. 153 deaths.

their model is a trash gaussian fit, it's loving bizarre

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

eighty-four merc posted:

Smoking may put people at greater COVID-19 risk, researchers say

I'm curious what they're basing the claim that smoking makes you more likely to get sick with COVID-19 when smokers seem generally underrepresented among hospitalizations from what I've seen

quote:

Tong is the medical director at the Stop Tobacco program at the Cancer Center

This is why

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Am I hallucinating or did the daily white house briefing just transform into an ad for GE?

Edit: meant to say GM

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/srl/status/1250508771190849536

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Malcolm XML posted:

their model is a trash gaussian fit, it's loving bizarre

It literally assumes that transmission goes to near zero, a thing that hasn't happened anywhere and especially isn't happening in America

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
boy he bout to do it
https://twitter.com/jamiedupree/status/1250542743262310402

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

from https://covid.arena-ai.com/ (also not a great model but)

>The IHME team’s model is not an epidemiological model but an empirical one, based on the assumption that the cumulative number of COVID-19 deaths follows a specific curve shape / trajectory in time, and that this curve “shape” should be shared across countries and states. This model is also trained on deaths (as opposed to confirmed cases) over time – an explicit choice by the IHME to ensure the model is robust against observational bias in testing.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Lol what

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lol texas is a state full of chuds and hypocrites

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Stereotype posted:

It literally assumes that transmission goes to near zero, a thing that hasn't happened anywhere and especially isn't happening in America

lmao. i saw a paper that estimated R(t) post lockdown was < 1 in nyc and sf which i guess is good

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

????

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

There's still like 30k new cases every day and either we have a very high 8% death rate or a lot of people have it who don't know or weren't tested.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
so uh, we totally HAVEN'T hit peak of infections, have we?

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

lol jfc trump

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Stereotype posted:

There's still like 30k new cases every day and either we have a very high 8% death rate or a lot of people have it who don't know or weren't tested.

It's both op

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

sexpig by night posted:

so uh, we totally HAVEN'T hit peak of infections, have we?

boy....

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

omg they remembered sailor :patriot:

https://twitter.com/jmartNYT/status/1250543235388313605

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

anyone who thought Italy was the worst possible outcome, lol

the GOP is openly organizing interference with quarantine efforts, this is going to be worse than any of us really imagine

This is actually great because it's our best shot at the end of American hegemony. While other countries are going to go through a correction where they spike in cases and deaths because they hosed it up early (UK, Sweden, etc.) they'll probably put in place effective policies and practices eventually. The US is basically going to have this spread out for much much longer as there are flare-ups of COVID-19 across the country for a long time to come because you have that critical mass of people who are actively inimical towards science, logic, and their fellow human beings.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
THURSDAY?!

loving THURSDAY?! TOMORROW?!

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The US is in uncontrolled exponential growth, assume 33% daily on all numbers, anything below this is under testing. There is zero evidence any of our laughable measures have done anything

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lol those new tests are almost certainly designed to return a fuckload of false negatives aren't they

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Here in Florida the only thing that seemed to have good stock at the local Publix is the beer and wine section.

The TP aisle is completely empty.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FAUXTON posted:

Lol those new tests are almost certainly designed to return a fuckload of false negatives aren't they

Yeah the CDC and all government funded research are cops

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

FAUXTON posted:

it doesn't even matter because the old testing has dropped 30% over the past week, of course cases are dropping

the fix is in binch

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

eighty-four merc posted:

right

the data I've seen has suggested smokers are less likely to get sick but more likely to have worse outcomes when they do get sick, so I was curious whether that's been contradicted by newer data, or if this is a case of conventional wisdom saying something should be so, and not data showing that it is so

if that makes sense

smokers tend to already be coughing and feeling like poo poo so cases are more likely to go under the radar

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So just so I'm clear because this fat moron is rambling, is he saying TOMORROW he's going to issue 'new guidelines' that functionally open things up again because...he thinks we've peaked nationally???

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

shovelbum posted:

The US is in uncontrolled exponential growth, assume 33% daily on all numbers, anything below this is under testing. There is zero evidence any of our laughable measures have done anything

We have R0 somewhere near 1 idk what you're talking about.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
LOL hundreds of years of genocide and pillaging and amerikas only enduring legacy to the world will be the purest and most accurate statistical model of completely uncontrolled and deliberately accelerated pandemic spread, and plastic pollution

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Amazing

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Malcolm XML posted:

lmao. i saw a paper that estimated R(t) post lockdown was < 1 in nyc and sf which i guess is good

R(t) is really hard to calculate if you don't know how long people are contagious for, but if you assume they are really only contagious for a week before isolating themselves then NYC has an R of like 0.5 which is good, it means that it will eventually go away, but it is way higher than what the IHME models assume.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

my great aunt died from coronavirus this morning. this sucks, she was cool as heck.

I'm so sorry :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

shovelbum posted:

there's pretty good evidence that the rate has slowed significantly and now we want to get back on track so the rest of the people can get it