Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

taqueso posted:

When I was like 20 and not yet jaded, I didn't understand why older people who were also nerds didn't want to spend 23 hours a day tweaking their PC and learning how to use software they had no real practical use for. Now I know they are just tired of dealing with all this poo poo.

"Sure algae grew in my water block and my computer sounds like a vaccum cleaner but if you can tweak the RAM voltage right and pop the bus speed up by another few megahertz the multiplier will raise my CPU a whole 36Mhz which can be represented by this blip in cineben-gently caress, bluescreen alright lets check the CPU voltage, add another fan, and squirt another tube of Arctic Silver 5"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

klosterdev posted:

"Sure algae grew in my water block and my computer sounds like a vaccum cleaner but if you can tweak the RAM voltage right and pop the bus speed up by another few megahertz the multiplier will raise my CPU a whole 36Mhz which can be represented by this blip in cineben-gently caress, bluescreen alright lets check the CPU voltage, add another fan, and squirt another tube of Arctic Silver 5"

It me circa age 26.

It not me circa age 38.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I don't think I even made it through college before the "long as its working" mindset was winning from the shear amount of PC stuff brought to me.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It's that creeping mindset that had me switch from unix to OSX, and it's taken 15 years of Apple making GBS threads on everything for me to start moving back.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

taqueso posted:

When I was like 20 and not yet jaded, I didn't understand why older people who were also nerds didn't want to spend 23 hours a day tweaking their PC and learning how to use software they had no real practical use for. Now I know they are just tired of dealing with all this poo poo.

I'm 36 and spent quite a bit of time tweaking the cooling in my pc over Easter, aided by a FLIR camera :v:

It's easily 10 years since I geeked out this much on cooling, but in my defense I just got a new pc case, it needed tuning :haw:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Wibla posted:

but in my defense I just got a new pc case, it needed tuning :haw:

Protip: No it didn’t.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Agrikk posted:

Protip: No it didn’t.

The only thing you need to do vis-a-vis "case tuning" is make sure you get quiet fans (i.e. just buy Noctua, the end) and put noise insulation inside the case, and that's only if the machine is in the same room as you.

Other than that, who has the loving time to care. Are you folding @ home and want to be the one who cracks the rona? Sure, maybe, pay Intel $3k for whatever the top CPU is, overclock the water-cooled poo poo out of it and sit back smug in how good a person you are for spending so much time and money to Help People (TM). Otherwise it's just wankery and doesn't actually matter in any measurable sense.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Super Soaker Party! posted:

The only thing you need to do vis-a-vis "case tuning" is make sure you get quiet fans (i.e. just buy Noctua, the end) and put noise insulation inside the case, and that's only if the machine is in the same room as you.

Other than that, who has the loving time to care. Are you folding @ home and want to be the one who cracks the rona? Sure, maybe, pay Intel $3k for whatever the top CPU is, overclock the water-cooled poo poo out of it and sit back smug in how good a person you are for spending so much time and money to Help People (TM). Otherwise it's just wankery and doesn't actually matter in any measurable sense.

It made sense when I was poor and trying to wring the maximum out of poo poo hardware and hand-me-downs. Nowadays, nah, I can afford poo poo that works and has a warranty.

Except for music gear. I'll still worry at a weird metal box covered in knobs and buttons for hours when I could have just bought something new because gently caress you, I want to do it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If you have pets add making sure you've got positive pressure in the case because JFC hair gets everywhere.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Except for music gear. I'll still worry at a weird metal box covered in knobs and buttons for hours when I could have just bought something new because gently caress you, I want to do it.

Oh yeah no this is totally acceptable, but is also classified as worthwhile because it actually produces different results (and in some cases artistic ones, I leave it to you to classify your results as artistic or not). Whereas if you're no longer poor and forced to get the best performance you can out of the fastest chip you can afford, loving around with PC cooling is a literal waste of time as it doesn't actually do anything.

(besides everyone knows that the new production Synthmachine 9000 is loving lovely and you need the 1st generation second revision production model from 1974 but NOT FROM JULY 1974 ONLY FROM SEPTEMBER THROUGH DECEMBER YOU IDIOT why would you get one of the gray-faced ones when the blue-black ones are SO MUCH BETTER BECAUSE THEY HAVE THE EXTRA ARPEGGIATOR!?!?

idiot

(also the blue-black ones cost $9500 and you need to immediately replace all of the 89 capacitors in it as soon as possible with new old-stock ones that are $50 each).

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

(also the blue-black ones cost $9500 and you need to immediately replace all of the 89 capacitors in it as soon as possible with new old-stock ones that are $50 each).

That'll get you that authentic 80s Daft Punk Sound, but you'll quickly realize that you aren't Daft Punk, and the best you can do is a halfassed remix of Sandstorm.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i'll listen to your remix of sandstorm

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

It made sense when I was poor and trying to wring the maximum out of poo poo hardware and hand-me-downs. Nowadays, nah, I can afford poo poo that works and has a warranty.

ugh what is this disease and how do I get rid of it???
instead of just donating electronics I have to hoard and disassemble everything because "I MIGHT NEED THAT loving POT/CAP/SWITCH" one day :eng99:
I have 2 NEC PBXs that were destined for the trash disassembled and crammed into cardboard boxes because I just couldn't bare to watch all those components get garbaged.
On the flip side of that I have probably the coolest collection of on/off switches of anyone ever.
I'm gonna build a bass amp that requires a loving key and covered switch to turn on. Like launching a nuclear missile.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm gonna build a bass amp that requires a loving key and covered switch to turn on. Like launching a nuclear missile.

Put two on there like a proper nuclear missile. No shredding unless you and the guitarist both agree.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Happiness Commando posted:

Put two on there like a proper nuclear missile. No shredding unless you and the guitarist both agree.

Done.
And the mic will be an old batphone.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Otherwise it's just wankery and doesn't actually matter in any measurable sense.

To be fair, this describes any hobby.

Why make your own table, when one from Ikea does the same job for 1/4 the price and half the effort. Because you want to...

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

ugh what is this disease and how do I get rid of it???
instead of just donating electronics I have to hoard and disassemble everything because "I MIGHT NEED THAT loving POT/CAP/SWITCH" one day :eng99:
I have 2 NEC PBXs that were destined for the trash disassembled and crammed into cardboard boxes because I just couldn't bare to watch all those components get garbaged.
On the flip side of that I have probably the coolest collection of on/off switches of anyone ever.

I'm about to graft one chorus pedal onto another chorus pedal, and the stack of those clear plastic bin containers full of caps, resistors, diodes, LEDs, controls and other assorted crap is going to come in REAL handy. One of the chorus pedals almost got sacrificed to the bins way back before I knew what I had, and then I realized murdering an Arion Bass Chorus was sacrilege.

Oh yeah no this is totally acceptable, but is also classified as worthwhile because it actually produces different results (and in some cases artistic ones, I leave it to you to classify your results as artistic or not).

People give me money for it sometimes, so I suppose that means something? Though I just read an article that promoters are expecting live shows won't get back in action til probably Fall 2021, so lol, we'll see if people will pay me to stare at my pedal board for an hour on YouTube...

(besides everyone knows that the new production Synthmachine 9000 is loving lovely and you need the 1st generation second revision production model from 1974 but NOT FROM JULY 1974 ONLY FROM SEPTEMBER THROUGH DECEMBER YOU IDIOT why would you get one of the gray-faced ones when the blue-black ones are SO MUCH BETTER BECAUSE THEY HAVE THE EXTRA ARPEGGIATOR!?!?

idiot

Was that the Japanese one or the Soviet one? You gotta get the Soviet one and change out the pots for the ones off the Japanese one, or it'll suck out all the tone and make the arpeggiator glitch in a very un-musical way. But if it's the one with the red LED and not the orange LED, you're hosed unless you know a guy with a supply of the original German ICs from 1984. If it's Indonesian, put that poo poo in the garage right now, before it climbs off the rack and tries to eat your synth's ADSR knobs.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I still can't tell if the crazy machine wrangling posts are a joke or not :v:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

How to computer wizard: Apply 7zip to Excel files that are corrupted.

:psypop: XLSB file bigger than 5 MB, saved as XLSM it passes 12 MB, unpacking the XLSM file reveals a cache of data from a linked file consisting of 100 MB of XML. The folder with that linked file contains even bigger files, including an Access database bigger than 1 GB.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Okay NOW you are speaking my language. Music production is all about vintage poo poo because vintage = tone. Digital is for kids into deadmouse or whatever it’s called. Get off my lawn.

*shuffles back into the house, holding tattered bathrobe closed in one hand and gripping a Rode tube condenser mic in the other*

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Agrikk posted:

Okay NOW you are speaking my language. Music production is all about vintage poo poo because vintage = tone. Digital is for kids into deadmouse or whatever it’s called. Get off my lawn.

*shuffles back into the house, holding tattered bathrobe closed in one hand and gripping a Rode tube condenser mic in the other*

Hey nothin wrong with Deadmau5, you can appreciate older and newer music, though dubstep and trap... if I wanted to headbang I'd go to a metal show.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Xarn posted:

I still can't tell if the crazy machine wrangling posts are a joke or not :v:

They're really not far off from reality. Lot of old audio equipment was modified/changed through its production lifecycle, sometimes in good ways, sometimes in bad ways. (The ARP 2600 synthesizer is a good example - the last production models were actually worse due to a change in one of the filters, so the ones from 1971-1974 are in demand but 1975-1976 models are not). And audio being what it is, i.e. highly subjective, you really can't say definitively that a minor change in electronics doesn't have an effect on the sound. This can get into bullshit audiophile territory (attach these crystal rocks to your amplifier and you too can have amazing sound) pretty quickly but there are in fact substantive differences to today's gear because everything then was analog and mechanical. So unlike Denon selling a "directional" Ethernet cable for $500 a few years back, you could have audible differences from different electronics and quality differences based on how well the machine has aged (or not). Things like replacing all the caps in a machine are not unreasonable because the stuff is 30-40 years old and poo poo breaks down, so if you're trawling Ebay and something pops up from the 70s or 80s, you have to be very careful because you don't know the provenance of the machine - did it live in a studio for 40 years, or in a box downstairs in someone's non-temperature controlled basement with lots of humidity swings?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Done.
And the mic will be an old batphone.

Somehow I never noticed that the batphone looks like a POS before. Way to go modern plastics raising my expectations

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Agrikk posted:

Yo, so I have this viiiiintage Unidyne III 545, but I'm not sure if I want to use that to mic my guitar cab or an SM57, or maybe both but at different angles...but yeah, living in Portland, Oregon is a trip as a music-involved person. I had a total Portlandia "Pet Sounds" experience when the drum n bass equivalent of Jack White wandered into my DMs and asked me to be in a band a couple years back.

And audio being what it is, i.e. highly subjective, you really can't say definitively that a minor change in electronics doesn't have an effect on the sound.

It's wild how much a different value capacitor or the elemental composition of a diode can dramatically change a sound, but you have to keep in mind that instrument level signals are extremely low, so it doesn't take much to alter them electrically. You can argue whether silicon or germanium is a "better" transistor for compression/distortion all day, but "better" is entirely subjective. I mean, I love me some germanium clipping, but that's just me.

nielsm posted:

How to computer wizard: Apply 7zip to Excel files that are corrupted.

:psypop: XLSB file bigger than 5 MB, saved as XLSM it passes 12 MB, unpacking the XLSM file reveals a cache of data from a linked file consisting of 100 MB of XML. The folder with that linked file contains even bigger files, including an Access database bigger than 1 GB.

:wtc: That's worse than trying to 7zip MP3s...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Jaded Burnout posted:

I didn't used to think this was a realistic thing that happened but I've been running a web development business for 7 years now and I still don't have a website for it.

Like, I have a domain with email, but over HTTP it doesn't even resolve.

I'm a desktop support guy, and all my machines are at least 5 years old. Most are older by more than a couple years.
And ye, almost all of them are castoffs and retired units from previous and current jobs.

taqueso posted:

...and that's an accurate summary of why.

Arquinsiel posted:

See that poo poo isn't on. I have a goonfriend who helped me learn all the security when I went back to college and I made drat sure that if I was turning up at his house I brought snacks for him, his girlfriend, and his pet rats. I had known him for about 25 years at that point, and still made sure to show that it was appreciated as best I could at the time.

You're a good person, the sort I would do favors for.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
A ticket came in...
Finance wants Adobe signatures to <just work> and <be verified>.

quote:

Hello -- can someone help me with this? I would like to see if we can use the Setting Certificate Trust function in Adobe to confirm identity of signors in an electronic signature. Every time I open a pdf with someone's signature on it,
I get a message that says "At least one signature is invalid". I believe it's because I haven't added them to my Trusted Certificates.
I do know how to add a signature to my Trusted Certificates but is there a way to build a org-wide Trusted Certificates database? I am hoping it will provide more internal control if we do it as a org-wide database.

She's talking about setting up a whole loving Adobe CA and adobe workflow for validating literally every employee's digital signature.
We have multiple domains and a bunch of people that work for our org that don't even have user accounts.

How much am I about to hate my life?
I told her to gently caress off with that poo poo and just get Adobe Sign for everyone https://acrobat.adobe.com/us/en/sign.html.
I'm waiting at her to balk at the license costs before I explain how much more expensive it is gonna be to do it in house.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I mean, it doesn't seem like an unreasonable request and it shows some thought instead of MAKE COMPUTER DO THING

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
So, a user called this morning. Their relatively-new, never-had-an-issue-before PC just spontaneously refuses to boot up or charge. It's totally nonresponsive. Helpdesk goes through the usual stuff, it ends up that they're going to bring it to the main office and drop it off for a tech [that's me] to look at.

About 45 minutes pass, and they show up. I'm on another call, so my boss handles it. They're all standing right outside my office (the user is breaking lockdown protocol and isn't even supposed to be in the building, but lmao they're a VIP so :shrug:)

This person is clearly one of THOSE users. What's the ETA? My boss very politely translates "LMAO there is no ET of loving A, for one thing everything's very fucky right now, and also we have had it in the building for literally all of 20 entire seconds, so who knows? All we can promise is that we'll look at it, and one way or another, we'll be able to work something out where you can get a working PC at some point" into user-speak. Of course that's not good enough, because I NEEEEEEEEEEED MY DATA (the data that everyone knows they're not supposed to save in some weird-rear end custom folder locally instead of the desktop or any of the other mapped network locations). My boss is pretty cool, but he's like 130 years old and has been doing this drat near literally FOREVER. He does the usual de-escalation stuff - "we'll do our best to salvage your data, but it might have to go to our vendor or manufacturer for service, we just don't know until we look at it, etc etc." The user is getting progressively more upset though, because of course they are, and they also keep making the bizarre demand that they take their PC back home and just let their spouse, who "does IT" try to repair it. My boss manages to very politely convey that that is an EXTREMELY bad idea for a VERY WIDE VARIETY of reasons, and that option is definitely off the table. Can't we do some kind of PRIORITY SERVICE?!?!?! Please service it as quickly as possible!!!! The user is huffing and puffing and being pretty... not very nice. There is a bunch of back and forth and they eventually leave. My boss does the exasperated sigh that you can ONLY hear from someone that's been supporting users with their muskets or whatever since the War of 1812.

So some time passes and I look at the PC. This model is prone to some weird power/charging issues, but usually if we pop the back cover and disconnect the main and CMOS batteries, then reconnect 'em, it'll clear. No luck here with that today, though. We don't really get much further than the easily-accessible items, just usually what we can get at by popping the back cover. Our service vendor handles the rest. Okay, fine, it'll probably need shipped to our service vendor, nbd, I put it back together and table it for now, I usually do all that paperwork at the end of the day.

So immediately after that, I end up on another call with somebody else for a totally different issue that usually takes a long time to resolve. Dude is COOL AS gently caress, and we're just having a good time talking about backpacking trips and poo poo while waiting on various progress bars. He mentions offhand that it's kind of funny, his boss has been having computer issues lately, too, weird coincidence, hahahahah. I'm like "well, yeah, there has been a lot of things going on, mostly with people's cameras... since everybody's doing Zoom meetings now, a lot of people are using their cameras for the first time and finding out that they're not working" He says nah, he just talked to them this morning, it's not that.... I guess they has some issue where their PC won't power on after... well, I think they said they they spilled coffee all over it? Can you imagine their bad luck? They just had to take it downtown for you guys to service it earlier this afternoon!

Me: Ohhhhhhhhh, really? I don't suppose that... *quietly checks employee directory* ....HAHAHAHAHAHA, YEP!!!!

I wrap that call eventually and take another look at the PC the angry user dropped off earlier, and sure enough, now that I'm looking for it, it's pretty clear that the case has already been pried apart clumsily, probably with a metal screwdriver (we have some soft plastic spudgers that tend to not mar the case as badly). Also, it looks like someone definitely removed or attempted to remove the keyboard - I can tell because it hasn't been replaced very cleanly, and a couple of the tabs along the edges that help the keyboard snap into the laptop aren't locked in fully in, so the soft plastic around the edges is holding a couple of the keys down, which definitely would have caused problems if the thing hadn't been coffee-fried. Also, now that I'm using my nose, this motherfucker smells like it has been bathed in coffee.

They or probably their spouse clearly took it apart, cleaned it hoping it would resolve it, and then called us when it didn't.

My boss wanders by and asks how it's going, so I tell him what I just found.

My boss says: We're going to do exactly what they asked for - pull their data from the drive if you can, just to do them the favor and get their hopes up. Then, send it out for hahaha "priority" service, which is going to just be regular service, because that's the only service we have. Mention only what the user told you, don't mention the coffee. The user didn't mention the coffee, so I guess we don't know about the coffee. They vendor is DEFINITELY going to find the coffee and send it right back to us, saying it's non-servicable.

Me: That's going to eat a lot of time, though.

My boss: Oh, it's DEFINITELY going to eat up a lot of time. They're going to be stuck with that loaner PC for AGES waiting for it to get shipped out, looked at, and then finally come back. We might even sit on it for a while after that. Then, we're going to nail that user's rear end to the wall. :black101:

I had no idea he was that petty, and I love it.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
I just had a happy accident in my pants reading that.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

nominal posted:

My boss is pretty cool, but he's like 130 years old and has been doing this drat near literally FOREVER.
:suspense: I hope you realise that you're working with the legend who the term "malicious compliance" was created to explain. That is some absolutely wonderful weaponised process following.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

nominal posted:

My boss: Oh, it's DEFINITELY going to eat up a lot of time. They're going to be stuck with that loaner PC for AGES waiting for it to get shipped out, looked at, and then finally come back. We might even sit on it for a while after that. Then, we're going to nail that user's rear end to the wall. :black101:

Yes.

YES.

Buy your boss some goddamn drinks!

E: Minor content - thirty-minute password resets SUCK. Especially when users "can't find" the CIRCLE WITH THEIR INITIALS IN IT in OWA to access their account poo poo.

It's RIGHT loving THERE. NO, NOT THE X TO CLOSE IT, NOT THE SQUARE TO MAKE IT BIG, THE CIRCLE. THE ROUND, COLORED SHAPRE.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DON'T HAVE THAT. :argh:

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 16, 2020

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
For me, the best part is that I bet if they brought a small bag of donuts and asked very nicely, your boss would have speeded the repair through and probably have covered up the coffee damage as well.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Shut up Meg posted:

For me, the best part is that I bet if they brought a small bag of donuts and asked very nicely, your boss would have speeded the repair through and probably have covered up the coffee damage as well.

That was like the distilled essence of 'Karen'. "I know I did something wrong/dumb, but I also know that if just act like an entitled enough rear end in a top hat, you'll do what I ask because it's easier than doing what should have been done."

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

spankmeister posted:

I mean, it doesn't seem like an unreasonable request and it shows some thought instead of MAKE COMPUTER DO THING

Oh I don't disagree, but we have a full stop on projects since we are super short staffed and everyone is working overtime just to keep our infrastructure from crumbling out from under, re-configuring everything to have our main site up and running while simultaneously rebuilding our colo, plus dealing with teh fallout of a recent hacking campaign.
We're deploying a new san, repurposing the 2 old ones, upgrading all of our VM's on top of moving all our blades from one chassis into another and filling up the other chassis with blades, upgrading everything to ESXI 6.7 (which means a whole new vSphere since we are on 5.5). We're completely reworking our network from the bottom up subnets, vlans, new switch deployments, adding more blades to the core switch, and ramping up our VPN capabilities and deploying Duo for 2FA.
We're also struggling with just keeping everyone happy and productive with 100% of our workforce being able to work from home at any given moment.
Icing on the cake is that we have a complete spending and hiring freeze until a new budget can be implemented so even if we did manage to get around to doing this, we'd have to figure out how to do it without spending a dime and the user KNOWS it because they're in the Finance dept.
It just seems like an odd request at a time when the entire org's priorities are all focused elsewhere. I'm definitely not faulting them for asking, and I think it's not a bad request at all, but it's always funny how people just think IT is magic and we can just whip up what they want for free in an afternoon.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

A ticket came in...
Finance wants Adobe signatures to <just work> and <be verified>.

She's talking about setting up a whole loving Adobe CA and adobe workflow for validating literally every employee's digital signature.
We have multiple domains and a bunch of people that work for our org that don't even have user accounts.

How much am I about to hate my life?
I told her to gently caress off with that poo poo and just get Adobe Sign for everyone https://acrobat.adobe.com/us/en/sign.html.
I'm waiting at her to balk at the license costs before I explain how much more expensive it is gonna be to do it in house.

Question is genuine and your idea/answer is wrong. Digital signatures services require a list of public CA (for instance all european EIDAS CA can be found here https://webgate.ec.europa.eu/tl-browser/#/ ) and in order to successfully verify any sign you need to add the signature provider CA to adobe(and/or windows). No need for "Adobe CA"

EDIT: forgot to say that if you need to check the provider of the digital signature, on acrobat you can do so by clicking the signature(if it's a graphical object in the pdf) or on the signature bar at the top of the doc(if it's on the file)

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 16, 2020

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Shut up Meg posted:

I just had a happy accident in my pants reading that.

:same:

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

Arquinsiel posted:

weaponised process following.

Nice

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

upgrading everything to ESXI 6.7 (which means a whole new vSphere since we are on 5.5).

Eh? If you upgrade this infrequently, why are you not giving it a month or two to make sure there's no huge bugs and upgrading to vSphere 7? Seems a little silly to "upgrade" to a two year old platform.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Eh? If you upgrade this infrequently, why are you not giving it a month or two to make sure there's no huge bugs and upgrading to vSphere 7? Seems a little silly to "upgrade" to a two year old platform.

We have a bunch of CCX virtual machines and Cisco doesn't support vsphere 7 yet. We're still on 6.5 due to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

GreenNight posted:

We have a bunch of CCX virtual machines and Cisco doesn't support vsphere 7 yet. We're still on 6.5 due to this.

Sure, there's certainly reasons to hold off on upgrading to a brand new platform, it just seems like if you're not someone to upgrade vSphere really frequently (5.5 is from 2013), you may as well wait a little longer and go to the most current release.