Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Could the WH work with Mitch to force the Senate in a disagreement w/the House?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fritz the Horse posted:

Trump wants to use recess appointments to force through his judicial nominanees who are universally young Federalist-approved conservative ideologues

Which is the stupidest idea ever because then they don’t have lifetime appointments. The next president gets to replace them.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"I'm special! I should be in Special Education!"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Cpt_Obvious posted:

“In a 5-4 bloopity bloppity bloo”

Fritz the Horse posted:

Theoretically, he can adjourn when the houses of Congress are in disagreement about when they are to adjourn.

It's a power that has never been invoked.

I have bad news about the current SCOTUS...

i hate you people* more than usual :mad:

even if somehow you get the other four in line, which I question, this is exactly the sort of lunacy that Roberts opposes both to avoid giving future Democrats a weapon and to make himself look reasonable so he can sneak through quieter bad decisions

*- not the particular posters, the people that make these posts in general

evilweasel posted:

Which is the stupidest idea ever because then they don’t have lifetime appointments. The next president gets to replace them.

i forgot about that lol

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

I expect Mitch also sees that going along with this is not at all in his interests.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Posting again so it’s not lost on the end of the last page.

Fritz the Horse posted:

Trump wants to use recess appointments to force through his judicial nominanees who are universally young Federalist-approved conservative ideologues

Oh I know why Trump wants to do it. But the point is that if both Houses are in agreement, which they are, then he can’t gently caress with them by my reading from people on Twitter.

And why does he need recess appointments for that when the Senate is already doing that. Is he really just that butthurt that Congress took a couple weeks off right now?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

How come trump didnt call tim cook and Elon musk for his stupid task force? They've shown that they're down for absolutely anything.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Oh I know why Trump wants to do it. But the point is that if both Houses are in agreement, which they are, then he can’t gently caress with them by my reading from people on Twitter.

And why does he need recess appointments for that the Senate is already doing that. Is he really just that butthurt that Congress took a couple weeks off right now?

He has had a shocking number of appointments denied for a president with a friendly senate, including his federal reserve appointments (republicans don’t actually want goldbug lunatics in charge of the fed, that is not at all good for business).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Probably, but Mitch might not see the advantage to the GOP or himself in helping Trump put even bigger clowns into the government than he already has

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

He could work with Mitch, but they would need 50+ votes and I'm not sure if that aligns with enough of the GOPs interests, even in hell universe.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

evilweasel posted:

Thanks to the pandemic, both can be true!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Like, anyone who would be voted down by this Senate would be a disaster on a scale we can barely conceive of even today

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So how long until congresspeople start commenting on this brand new mess dumped into their laps?

FFS this is probably some poo poo that Kushner had told to him from some shithead staffer who then said it to Trump 2 hours ago and that’s how much thought was put into this threat. And now it’s going to be a gigantic mess as all of Congress goes gently caress YOU.

Also this doesn’t exactly make Trump look good in a time of crisis and he was already melting down.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

what recess appointment can trump make that he isn't getting around already? we haven't had a confirmation since kavanaugh.

does he just want to throw a thousand 28 year old 4chan posters onto the supreme court?

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

evilweasel posted:

This strikes me as one of those situations where Roberts sees no long term advantage to the Republican Party (and in fact a lot of long term damage) and substantial damage to his power so he doesn’t go along with it. One year of more Trump appointments when he has a Republican senate isn’t worth risking giving Biden four years of the potential ability to appoint whoever he wants even if Republicans keep the Senate.

The other four will write an opinion they will have issues with later of course because they have the foresight of a sack of wet clay.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i hate you people* more than usual :mad:

even if somehow you get the other four in line, which I question, this is exactly the sort of lunacy that Roberts opposes both to avoid giving future Democrats a weapon and to make himself look reasonable so he can sneak through quieter bad decisions

*- not the particular posters, the people that make these posts in general

i forgot about that lol

I doubt Roberts would just greenlight the president being able to adjourn Congress whenever they want. That would be a massive increase in executive power which could bite the Republicans in the rear end in the future.

Keep in mind there is no precedent on the exercise of this particular power, so Roberts basically has carte blanche to make up whatever rules he wants. The GOP has much firmer control on the Senate and that's unlikely to change sans a constitutional amendment. I'm guessing SCOTUS could rule that the President can adjourn Congress "only" when there is disagreement between House and Senate, which seems like the most obvious reading of the Constitution anyway. If the GOP controls either house of Congress, they could control when a "disagreement" occurs and thereby allow/prevent the President using this power.

An R president with R control of either the House or more likely Senate could then have Mitch McConnell "disagree" with Pelosi, adjourn Congress, bing bong recess appoint whoever they want.

However, a D president with R control of either house of Congress could not use the same trick unless McConnell no longer controls the Senate

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

what recess appointment can trump make that he isn't getting around already? we haven't had a confirmation since kavanaugh.

does he just want to throw a thousand 28 year old 4chan posters onto the supreme court?

He hasn’t thought it through that far. Someone mentioned this quirky power that he may or may not be able to do under the right circumstances and in his brain he’s just gonna run with it like a dog chasing a car until he gets distracted by the next thing.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So how long until congresspeople start commenting on this brand new mess dumped into their laps?

FFS this is probably some poo poo that Kushner had told to him from some shithead staffer who then said it to Trump 2 hours ago and that’s how much thought was put into this threat. And now it’s going to be a gigantic mess as all of Congress goes gently caress YOU.

Also this doesn’t exactly make Trump look good in a time of crisis and he was already melting down.

Susan Collins will be troubled.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/scotusblog/status/1250560691754250240?s=21

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

A big flaming stink posted:

not the US, but what the gently caress!

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1250485340533665794

jesus christ what the gently caress is merkel doing?????

Curve has been a lot flatter in Germany.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

If just blowing up Congress and ruling via Trumpian order was so easy that it all it takes is one neat trick that Democrats hate then it would have happened 3 years ago. This is the case for a lot of poo poo that Trump has threatened and then never followed through with.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

This is at least the second time he has done this. I wonder if anyone tried to explain to him what that term means, or if they even bothered to try.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Roumba posted:

This is at least the second time he has done this. I wonder if anyone tried to explain to him what that term means, or if they even bothered to try.

I don't imagine people who try to explain things to Donald last very long in his administration.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Curve has been a lot flatter in Germany.

this seems like a really good way to solve that "problem"

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

FizFashizzle posted:

It's not just the supreme court, it's any federal court or administration position that requires Senate confirmation. Lots of judges have been confirmed to lifetime appointments since Kavanaugh, but lots of other positions are open. So the people who are too stupid/extreme for even McConnell to push though the Senate will no longer have to be in acting positions, they can just be appointed during this artificial recess.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He hasn’t thought it through that far. Someone mentioned this quirky power that he may or may not be able to do under the right circumstances and in his brain he’s just gonna run with it like a dog chasing a car until he gets distracted by the next thing.

I'm not a lawyer but this seems like it might actually be One Weird Trick they can use to force recess appointments through?'

The US Constitution, Article II section 3 posted:

he may, on extraordinary Occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in Case of Disagreement between them, with Respect to the Time of Adjournment, he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper

1) Mitch McConnell does something in the Senate that could be construed as causing "disagreement" with the House in scheduling sessions of Congress. He's a master of Senate rules fuckery.
2) Trump, citing Mitch's manufactured "disagreement" and the Constitution, adjourns both houses of Congress.
3) Recess appointments are immediately challenged in courts.
4) Constitutional crisis, let's see how SCOTUS addresses this.

edit:
Clarence Thomas, in his dissenting opinion, writes: "on the basis of textual originality, the Constitution refers to the President only as 'he.' Therefore, women are ineligible to hold the office of President of the United States." :shepface:

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 16, 2020

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

just watch him do a complete 180 and proclaim m4a as a campaign slogan 3 days before the election

biden will forget he ever didn't support it and toe line im sure

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

A big flaming stink posted:

this seems like a really good way to solve that "problem"

I think the German government has much more confidence in their testing regime than the flaming shitshow with still no plan to get enough tests that we have over here.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Roumba posted:

Uneven development within a nation is a real concept (and one that actually applies to the United States) but I doubt Trump knows that or that he meant anything along those lines.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Fritz the Horse posted:

I doubt Roberts would just greenlight the president being able to adjourn Congress whenever they want.

This is meaningless when you have one party that refuses to obey laws. And even if they lose the White House and/or their majority they aren't going to suddenly start.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

No surprise but it really seems like Trump is again full of poo poo and can’t do what he threatened because the situation that would allow it is effectively impossible.

https://twitter.com/jamiedupree/status/1250555034930118662

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
https://news.gallup.com/poll/308264/americans-remain-risk-averse-getting-back-normal.aspx

"wait and see" or more cautious is beating out "me do things right now" 70 to 30 among loving republicans, but go off trump

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

No surprise but it really seems like Trump is again full of poo poo and can’t do what he threatened because the situation that would allow it is effectively impossible.

https://twitter.com/jamiedupree/status/1250555034930118662

Is that a constitutional requirement? If not, the senate can effectively adjourn with 50 votes.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Here’s another thread on this.

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1250557679963123714

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1250560978078629891

So this has nothing to do with the return date in May it’s something even more set in stone.

Basically there are a ton of hurdles in place for Trump to go through with this brain fart of an idea.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 16, 2020

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Just tell him that nations in Africa are considered developing and he’ll back off that classification real quick.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

mdemone posted:

Of course he can, ya'll ain't been keeping up.

Shameful. Just shameful.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I mean, there’s always the possibility that the scotus disapproves, but the whole process takes so long as to be meaningless. Or there’s always the Cheney method of flat out ignoring w/e the courts decide.

That said, Trump’s a massive coward. Any constitutional overstepping would probably be accidental.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Trump will surely have 100% success in establishing a precedent for something that would eliminate the authority of congressional Republicans. His administration has been crushing it so far!

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Broken clock etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Just tell him that nations in Africa are considered developing and he’ll back off that classification real quick.

His loving 2020 slogan is gonna be Keep America Great, and he's 6 months out from an election calling the US a developing nation.

Ugh it hurts my brain.