Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Charun posted:

imagine you could go back in time and stop 9/11 from happening, but the covid was locked in
would you even bother?

Yes, just to see the look on Cheney and Rumsfelds faces when I torpedo their well laid plans

Edit: 9/11 was an inside job snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

Paramemetic posted:

Remember when blocking traffic was labeled economic terrorism??

Lol oh well this is fine

I remember a local state senator trying to get economic terrorism charges on dudes blocking a coal train lmao

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Bulgakov posted:

:yeah:

the authoritarians is one of the best baseline texts for comprehending modern american power structure

The number I keep coming back to explain american behavior is the number of people who believe in evolution. It's less than half and among the lowest in industrial countries.

Americans don't believe in science and barely train engineers. The number of STEM students America college system put out annually is 1/4 of the China's number and most of them are foreign students anyway.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Stereotype posted:

+900 cases today, #8 in total number of confirmed cases. They have about the same numbers as all of Canada.

Didn't they shut down a lawsuit concerning their figures?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

The number I keep coming back to explain american behavior is the number of people who believe in evolution. It's less than half and among the lowest in industrial countries.

Americans don't believe in science and barely train engineers. The number of STEM students America college system put out annually is 1/4 of the China's number and most of them are foreign students anyway.

we have 1/4 china's population though?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Vim Fuego posted:

second this, the authoritarians is the only book/theory i have ever read that accurately explains this facet of human behavior

I remember getting a lot from Bertrand Russel's BBC lectures Authority and the Individual on this sort of thing, but I've drank a lot since then and don't remember much in depth. I'll need to crack them out again and see if it holds up now that I'm older and angrier/more damaged

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

stephenthinkpad posted:

Americans don't believe in science and barely train engineers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e10ZPVafUA

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
it owns that in the middle of this, TRUMP is threatening to adjourn Congress so he can just make a bunch of appointments without a vote since nominations are held up in the Senate lmao

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Skypie posted:

it owns that in the middle of this, TRUMP is threatening to adjourn Congress so he can just make a bunch of appointments without a vote since nominations are held up in the Senate lmao

lol loving Obama wouldn't do this

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

the gently caress kind of episode title is "McNuggets in HD"

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
Reading about all the 5G towers in the UK getting burned down because they are actually secret COVID fountains or something. Like 60 of the loving things already. loving lol

Can't wait for this dumbshittery to spread like Qanon

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

lol loving Obama wouldn't do this

:decorum:

e: though I think Obama's administration challenged the way the Senate does all these pro forma meetings to prevent recess appointments and the SCOTUS basically shrugged and said "the Senate gets to decide when they're in session and when they aren't so gently caress you"

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

how owned is obamas legacy btw? lmao his weak rear end admin positioned the two loving loser dem candidates that handed trump the presidency to destroy all the mild poo poo he managed to accomplish

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

academics turn out to be weak rear end bitches as president

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Skypie posted:

We don't know if TRUMP intend to cross the Rubicon or just take a bath in it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Solarin posted:

how owned is obamas legacy btw?

extremely. all his "signature achievements" have been undone by Trump, and he specifically rigged THIS primary to shut-out Sanders, so he and the rest of the Dems are going to sleepwalk into an election that's probably going to look like 1972 if not 1988

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Skypie posted:

A deadly pandemic seems like the perfect time to trigger a constitutional crisis

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide
Savannah Guthrie opens up good morning America saying "was the virus created in a lab, will ask esper later in the show"

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Solarin posted:

how owned is obamas legacy btw? lmao his weak rear end admin positioned the two loving loser dem candidates that handed trump the presidency to destroy all the mild poo poo he managed to accomplish

TBF to Obama:

Skypie posted:

though I think Obama's administration challenged the way the Senate does all these pro forma meetings to prevent recess appointments and the SCOTUS basically shrugged and said "the Senate gets to decide when they're in session and when they aren't so gently caress you"

The Republicans had laid the groundwork and had hold of the right institutions at the right time. Trump couldn't do half of this poo poo if it wasn't the Republican's wet dream. They have been excellently leveraging the institutional edge they had in the Senate. the House, and the Supreme Court for most of his tenure.

Trump is doing a whole slew of poo poo which would have gotten shut down hard had he attempted it. I do think Obama was ultimately a disappointment but he was also shafted from the start. Heck, the fallout from Obamacare was bad enough and thar was legit legislating.

Munin has issued a correction as of 17:46 on Apr 16, 2020

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Had Obamacare been Singlepayer, people would not have paid as much and thus not hated it. Plus, they would've actually been able to keep their doctors. Biden's biggest weakness is that he wants to take us back to a time only old democrats (the minority of olds) remember fondly because they didn't deal with the poo poo.

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide

Judakel posted:

Had Obamacare been Singlepayer, people would not have paid as much and thus not hated it. Plus, they would've actually been able to keep their doctors. Biden's biggest weakness is that he wants to take us back to a time only old democrats (the minority of olds) remember fondly because they didn't deal with the poo poo.

gently caress liberman

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

703 posted:

gently caress liberman

Lieberman was a convenient scapegoat. The Dems didn't do single-payer because they didn't want to.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Spergin Morlock posted:

hmmm i wonder how forum poster Pohl is doing. they haven't posted in 2 weeks and they work at a homeless shelter. hope nothing happened

He's still alive

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

*Burns down 5G tower*

"Why is my cell phone so slow? loving GOVERNMENT!"

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

Actually looking good - cut right down on unknown transmissions. What's the schedule for easing restrictions in NZ?

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

https://twitter.com/robanderson2018/status/1250492832567242753?s=21
hard to keep lickin’ when the boot start kickin’..........

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Charun posted:

Actually looking good - cut right down on unknown transmissions. What's the schedule for easing restrictions in NZ?

Maybe next week if it stays low, but only to "level 3" which is about what australia is at now, ish

but probably the week after if i'm being honest with myself since we're following the elimination methodology and not just the contain it one

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Images you can hear

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

a fatguy baldspot posted:

https://twitter.com/robanderson2018/status/1250492832567242753?s=21
hard to keep lickin’ when the boot start kickin’..........

history is written by the victors so when the chuds win it’s 100% going to go down as legit oppression.

I know I know lol there won’t be history

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
https://twitter.com/duneiversity/status/1231971693834440705

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

There was a series called Life After People that showed how plants and animals would react and take over areas if people disappeared. Guess it doesn't take long.

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/coronavirus/crocodiles-take-over-oaxaca-beaches

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
I just found out first hand that my local giant has a guy that shows up every morning at 700 and runs around touching stuff and yelling that covid is a hoax until security kicks him out. I hate this country

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

stephenthinkpad posted:

Yeah but engineers are generally idiot libertarians with failed empathy genes who are only good at memorizing engineering things and are completely ignorant of literally every other topic involving facts or reason.

Rynn posted:

There was a series called Life After People that showed how plants and animals would react and take over areas if people disappeared. Guess it doesn't take long.

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/coronavirus/crocodiles-take-over-oaxaca-beaches

They also spent an entire episode describing how cats would evolve the ability to fly.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

FogHelmut posted:

Yeah but engineers are generally idiot libertarians with failed empathy genes who are only good at memorizing engineering things and are completely ignorant of literally every other topic involving facts or reason.

They also spent an entire episode describing how cats would evolve the ability to fly.

Like a flying squirrel or legit cats with wings?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

https://www.dol.gov/ui/data.pdf

5.2M more unemployes this week

this is extremely good for number, because it has reduced from last week, and is now a value only like 20x the previous all time high

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

B-Rock452 posted:

I just found out first hand that my local giant has a guy that shows up every morning at 700 and runs around touching stuff and yelling that covid is a hoax until security kicks him out. I hate this country

like a frost giant or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zyme
Aug 15, 2000

FogHelmut posted:

as an engineer i can confirm this