Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

"Reached in his hospital room Thursday while taking oxygen through his nose, Wittenbrink said he did not feel ill during the church events and has “no idea” how he may have contracted the virus."

lmao these people are so loving stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

she’s qualified to be prez at 10

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Here To Help posted:

Exactly. Who's going to be comfortable going to a crowded bar or sporting event in the near future? Open for business, get 40% of your traffic, spread virus, go bankrupt!

Its the best type of crisis for capital because no matter what they do the economy will collapse

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lol at the Great Lakes Union forming as I expected, but also adding Kentucky because ?? I guess Beshear got on people's good sides

Also whoever posted that they feel bad for the non-chuds: that's 5 Democratic governors, 1 Republican, and 1 Republican (DeWine) who aggressively shut down the state before anyone else did

I don't know how Holcomb handled the virus shutdown but everyone else in the Union took it seriously and early

Anyway their joint statement:

quote:

"We are doing everything we can to protect the people of our states and slow the spread of COVID-19, and we are eager to work together to mitigate the economic crisis this virus has caused in our region. Here in the Midwest, we are bound by our commitment to our people and the community. We recognize that our economies are all reliant on each other, and we must work together to safely reopen them so hardworking people can get back to work and businesses can get back on their feet.

“Today, we are announcing that Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, and Kentucky will work in close coordination to reopen our economies in a way that prioritizes our workers’ health. We look forward to working with experts and taking a fact-based, data-driven approach to reopening our economy in a way that protect families from the spread of COVID-19.

“Our number one priority when analyzing when best to reopen our economy is the health and safety of our citizens. We will make decisions based on facts, science, and recommendations from experts in health care, business, labor, and education."

The criteria involved:

quote:

The governors will consider four factors in deciding when conditions are safe to relax coronavirus restrictions. They are:

-- Sustained control of the rate of new infections and hospitalizations.
-- Enhanced ability to test and trace.
-- Sufficient health care capacity to handle resurgence.
-- Best practices for social distancing in the workplace.

The governors said their combined efforts in reopening their economies and relaxing coronavirus restrictions will be most effective as a group rather than carried out individually.

“This doesn’t mean our economy will reopen all at once, or that every state will take the same steps at the same time," the statement says. "But close coordination will ensure we get this right. Over time, people will go back to work, restaurants will reopen, and things will go back to normal. We look forward to working together as one region to tackle this challenge together.”

We basically don't have any of that in place at all right now so I doubt we're going to open before May 1 at the very earliest

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
So when do all these companies get sued out of existence for people dying from covid while working in a vague and non-essential "essential" business?

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Pandemics killing the economy is just a perk of capitalism

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
literally it’s not dawning on any governor that Japan just had to shut everything down again. so I guess we’ll do this again in 2-3 months hope no one gets the roni in the meantime.

JoeBangles
Mar 23, 2005

Parlez-vous grenouille ?

FAUXTON posted:

you should write a screenplay about your experience if you manage to save your marriage

Die Hard IV: Not Hard Anymore

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

SKULL.GIF posted:

We basically don't have any of that in place at all right now so I doubt we're going to open before May 1 at the very earliest

I think you will find we will be opening everything, today, and everything will be fine!

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

So when do all these companies get sued out of existence for people dying from covid while working in a vague and non-essential "essential" business?

lol get a load of this guy

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

Arsenic Lupin posted:

https://twitter.com/CharlieGileNBC/status/1250858163676614661

Holy poo poo. How long until the matching Amazon clusters?

I’m just waiting for an AWS outbreak in IAD and the country’s Internet to go down

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

they don't the relief package has clause in it that they can't, even if it didn't after GWB and Trump stacked all the courts nothing would come of it. Due to those two presidencies we are all effectively hosed with pro business chud decisions for the next 50 years so it doesn't matter what happens business wins.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

lol

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

Lol at the Great Lakes Union forming as I expected, but also adding Kentucky because ?? I guess Beshear got on people's good sides

Also whoever posted that they feel bad for the non-chuds: that's 5 Democratic governors, 1 Republican, and 1 Republican (DeWine) who aggressively shut down the state before anyone else did

I don't know how Holcomb handled the virus shutdown but everyone else in the Union took it seriously and early

Anyway their joint statement:

The criteria involved:

Holcomb hasn't been as awful as others but,

1. Golf courses are still open.

2. He *probably* worked with Amazon to cover up a wrongful death last year.

So, I don't trust him.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

MysteriousStranger posted:

they don't the relief package has clause in it that they can't, even if it didn't after GWB and Trump stacked all the courts nothing would come of it. Due to those two presidencies we are all effectively hosed with pro business chud decisions for the next 50 years so it doesn't matter what happens business wins.

So, mob justice. Got it.

Zyme
Aug 15, 2000

SKULL.GIF posted:

Although DeWine has been good through all of this, some of his recent quotes have been a little less heartening. One from his press conference today:

quote:

When we reopen, people are going to have to make their own decisions. That means that each person will have to decide if the risk is too great to go to events they might have attended otherwise. High-risk individuals will have to be more careful than others. It's unfortunate but they must stay safe and protected.

...although that sounds nice, it basically is 100% guaranteed failure to rely on individuals to make the right choices, especially when they are so broadly already making the wrong choices if given half the chance. But we'll see I guess!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Bar Ran Dun posted:

oh my god,

I want a God Emperor of Dune movie from Duncan Idaho’s perspective but shot like ground hogs day, restarting every time he dies and then pops out of a cloning tank.

This. And some scenes with the god emperor writting his memories on ix tables.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

So, mob justice. Got it.

there's not going to be any justice of any legal or illegal variety

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
lmao the south is gonna Sherman itself

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Economic prostate stimulus

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

on the other side of this, there's going to be a lot of people considering how a company acted during the pandemic as part of their purchasing decisions

there's a few I'm already committed to supporting going forward just based on the community outreach they've been doing, like the fancy distillery here in town and a couple restaurants/catering chains doing free food deliveries

Bund
Mar 2, 2007

you are getting very hungry

FAUXTON posted:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0820-9

here read this if you are wondering exactly how bullshit the "it came from a lab" conspiracy is

for starters, if this virus was engineered they picked a trash candidate for their fuckery, the underlying function is poo poo for what the implied goal of such a hypothetical experiment would have been and anyone calling themselves a scientist would have started with something that actually loving worked decently

next, they found its grand daddy coronavirus in bats and then found its uncle coronavirus in illegally imported pangolins. If someone was using an illegal source of endangered loving pangolins as a loving virus test kitchen, they're dumb as poo poo because animal work in viruses uses a fuckload of animals and you aren't going to be poaching enough to sustain it nor would you get enough smuggled out undetected, nor would you provide a reliably consistent animal supply free of existing diseases that might gently caress with your program.

after that, they found the difference between the pangolin and bat viruses was the part that let the spiky bits bind to human cells so easily - not only is this the most mutable part of the virus, but exactly the part that would be most exposed to natural selection were it in, say, pangolins and constantly given access to human hosts.

they then went on to talk about the hypothetical of a laboratory accident, notably "what if this was being developed in a lab but escaped" but pointing out that had this been the case the hypothetical researchers had to have been loving around with nothing of use forever beforehand, publishing nothing of any intermediary science, and using dumb poo poo methods of developing samples which still would never have worked out because the virus as found in the wild clearly was influenced by natural selection - e.g. this thing kept getting thrown up against immune systems until something worked, then against another species until it worked, and then a random-rear end binding mutation made it stick to people.

The pangolin poo poo is really interesting because they point out that the bat virus is still the most similar to the roni overall, but there are specific chunks of the genome in the pangolin coronaviruses - namely the chunks governing the spiky bits - that bridge a good part of the gap. Natural selection works more like a rock in a stream than anything with agency but a good way of describing it is that they are fairly confident this passed through pangolins because the roni started in bats and picked up some key habits of highly successful viruses somewhere and the viruses they're finding in pangolins practices a good number of those key habits but not all of them - what they suggest happened was that it got into pangolins and kept testing door handles on the human immune system until it got supremely lucky. It's even likely it got a little lucky a few times before thanksgiving but because at the time it wasn't that great at making humans sick en masse nobody really noticed.

But yeah in order for this to have been doctored up in a lab they would have had to make decision after decision that defies any logical progress toward any conceivable goal aligned with the outcome to the point that xi almost certainly would have had them shot for wasting time and money loving around with nothing to show for it.

assumes bats could infect pangolins but pangolins couldn't reinfect bats with the same virus

assumes that just because it came out of a lab that some sort of modifications had to already have taken place

"this escaped from a bioweapons lab" in no way implies 1) the deliberate release 2) of a finished product 3) borne of a well-formed strategy

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Drunkboxer posted:

we deserve everything thats coming to us

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

goth smoking cloves posted:

Holcomb hasn't been as awful as others but,

1. Golf courses are still open.

2. He *probably* worked with Amazon to cover up a wrongful death last year.

So, I don't trust him.

Holcomb has been quiet as hell because his entire thing is being Not Mike Pence. He hasn't waded into any real social issues or even financial ones. Like, i think if a cardboard cutout of Holcomb was governor, you'd never know the difference

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

there's not going to be any justice of any legal or illegal variety

Not with that attitude anyway.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Skypie posted:

Holcomb has been quiet as hell because his entire thing is being Not Mike Pence. He hasn't waded into any real social issues or even financial ones. Like, i think if a cardboard cutout of Holcomb was governor, you'd never know the difference

also he doesn't really have dictatorial authority like some Republican governors have because IU and Lily both went into extreme lockdown early AND are capable of doing testing and reporting on their own

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Zyme posted:

Although DeWine has been good through all of this, some of his recent quotes have been a little less heartening. One from his press conference today:

...although that sounds nice, it basically is 100% guaranteed failure to rely on individuals to make the right choices, especially when they are so broadly already making the wrong choices if given half the chance. But we'll see I guess!

PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY! Works every time, very logical way to operate society.

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

oxsnard posted:

i was really anxious about the ventilator shortage a few weeks ago but since the survival rate for intubated patients is like 15% i'm kind of at peace with it

so much the same. I do manufacturing (tool & die) and sent letters to my state senator and governor. both sent back thanks and platitudes. no real action. I was pissed until the stats started showing it wouldn’t have mattered much anyways.

oh well death is certain

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao my company did the same thing, $500 bonus to put youself at risk in a factory environment

quote:

Smithfield added some precautions to the facility — hand sanitizer stations and continued cleaning — after the first case. The plant also offered a $500 "responsibility bonus" to workers who didn't miss a shift in the month of April.

But cases skyrocketed.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Not with that attitude anyway.

i mean, there's really not. the chances to avoid the loving over were in not having bush or trump elected and that's to late. your best hope of ww3 and millions dying in nuclear hellfire so a few countries turn out reasonably after. short of that everyone is just going to get screwed for the next several decades no matter what happens politically or electorally.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Trumps re-election campaign should be renamed Make America Great Again (Again) to suit an economic comeback theme from corona

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

on the other side of this, there's going to be a lot of people considering how a company acted during the pandemic as part of their purchasing decisions

there's a few I'm already committed to supporting going forward just based on the community outreach they've been doing, like the fancy distillery here in town and a couple restaurants/catering chains doing free food deliveries

yeah every future job interview I do I'm asking what the company did during the pandemic

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

My beautiful children:

with thriller in the background theres a joke to be had here but im not good at jokes

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Article is dumb as hell. Pay down debt with Trumpbux is defeating the point.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

After looking at a map again Kentucky joining the Great Lakes Consortium makes a lot more sense, basically all the states involved have major cities that you can draw basically a straight line from them to Chicago, including Louisville

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Fellatio del Toro posted:

yeah every future job interview I do I'm asking what the company did during the pandemic

Its already come up in a recruitment call i got.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

So the leaves the Bible Belt and SW to form their own factions?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bund posted:

assumes bats could infect pangolins but pangolins couldn't reinfect bats with the same virus

assumes that just because it came out of a lab that some sort of modifications had to already have taken place

"this escaped from a bioweapons lab" in no way implies 1) the deliberate release 2) of a finished product 3) borne of a well-formed strategy

Technically H1N1 infecfed an unknown species before it jumped to humans. If the Rona came from a wet market, bats and pangolins could easily be packed close enough to infect each other.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SKULL.GIF posted:

After looking at a map again Kentucky joining the Great Lakes Consortium makes a lot more sense, basically all the states involved have major cities that you can draw basically a straight line from them to Chicago, including Louisville

I'm no map wizard, but I bet I can draw a straight line from any city in the United States to Chicago!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

PostNouveau posted:

I'm no map wizard, but I bet I can draw a straight line from any city in the United States to Chicago!