Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

this is also every MBP review since 2016. evergreen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

pram posted:

this is also every MBP review since 2016. evergreen

This, but Blackberry and iPhones

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

jokes posted:

There are a number of very, very stupid design choices for apple mice.

Originally the Just One Button was stupid, and people still argue it wasn't bad because you can just hold CMD down to emulate a right-click context menu. Still stupid.

The magic mouse or whatever they call it is also frustrating because you couldn't (can't? maybe they fixed it) right click if your other finger is resting on the mouse.

The stupid nipple scroll wheel has always been horribly unreliable, and if it gets dirty, hoo boy.

e: it's like Apple repeatedly comes up with cool rear end designs that look like they belong in a Syd Mead painting, they mass produce and sell them, and then go :thunk: hmmmm actually human beings have to use these things

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I was a kid when that mouse was around. LOVED IT. Fit my hand. Was so cool.

Never considered adults were using it too.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
It’s always bugged me that Apple kept white keycaps on its desktop keyboards despite changing all of its desktop Macs to aluminum/black trim in 08. Like tell me the iMac doesn’t look a little bit weird with a black bezel and white keys.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Data Graham posted:

e: it's like Apple repeatedly comes up with cool rear end designs that look like they belong in a Syd Mead painting, they mass produce and sell them, and then go :thunk: hmmmm actually human beings have to use these things

I actually keep a puck mouse in a shadow box in my office with the words “In case of emergency...” on it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
2009 17" MBP still humming along. Couldn't get Webex to work in Catalina but a minor setback.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

2009 17" MBP still humming along. Couldn't get Webex to work in Catalina but a minor setback.

Oh hey

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Shaocaholica posted:

I’m surprised you can get WebEx to work ever. What a steaming pile.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Dick Nipples posted:

Works fine on all the other platforms I've installed it on.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the last good apple mouse was the adb mouse ii

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I don't know why but my 2012 MBP 15" non-retina with its original battery can last months while sleeping. None of my other MacBooks can do that but I don't have a comprehensive sample set of MacBooks.

Also I just dug out my GBA SP from maybe 7 years of storage and the battery is fine and still holding a charge I'm playing FFVI adv on it right now.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

I don't know why but my 2012 MBP 15" non-retina with its original battery can last months while sleeping. None of my other MacBooks can do that but I don't have a comprehensive sample set of MacBooks.

Also I just dug out my GBA SP from maybe 7 years of storage and the battery is fine and still holding a charge I'm playing FFVI adv on it right now.
After your first paragraph I was about to mention the 3DS I just pulled out after god knows how long. Same goes for the last times I've found my GBAs/DSs. Nintendo batteries have some crazy magic.

eames
May 9, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

Your old MBP is likely not sleeping but hibernating (memory is written to persistent storage and powered off).
Modern Macs can (and under certain conditions will) do this too but the default options are optimized for fast wake-up times rather than better battery life.
If you care about this you can tweak the behavior of newer machines to your liking. "man pmset" will point you in the right direction, you can even adjust the thresholds at which a machine should switch from sleep to safe sleep/hibernate.

I did this to a few of my older machines that I rarely use anymore, that way accidentally closing the lid without a shutdown won't run down the battery and potentially damage it if it gets put away for weeks/months at a very low state of charge.

eames fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Apr 15, 2020

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Dick Nipples posted:

My job is mainly setting up/maintaining teleconferencing for enterprise and WebEx is actually one of the better platforms out there...

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Dick Nipples posted:

WebEx is actually really good and a professional, reliable product and not a big stupid mess of poor design decisions and worse engineering like literally all of its competitors.

And then you get into the hardware teleconferencing rigs, roomkits, etc. Super, super good.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

AlternateAccount posted:

WebEx is actually really good and a professional, reliable product and not a big stupid mess of poor design decisions and worse engineering like literally all of its competitors.

And then you get into the hardware teleconferencing rigs, roomkits, etc. Super, super good.

Yup. WebEx is legit and the RoomKit endpoints for conference rooms are fantastic.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

WebEx is fine, but holy poo poo am I sick of employers forcing every single app a company makes onto your team just because it comes in some sort of license bundle deal.

gently caress Cisco Jabber.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Ok Apple (not boomer) you released the iPhone SE2, now it's time to circle back to the Mac and pinch out that 14-incher rMBP.

In other hardware news, Apple is finally offering the Radeon Pro W5700X card for the new Mac Pro.

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/04/15/mac-pro-radeon-pro-w5700x-graphics-now-available/

Only $600 more than a Radeon 580X, such a deal.

Edit: aannnd the iPhone SE2 gets WiFi 6 / 802.11ax.. hopefully the 14-inch rMBP will too, since Intel has on-chip support for it?

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 16, 2020

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Brain Issues posted:

My job is mainly setting up/maintaining teleconferencing for enterprise and WebEx is actually one of the better platforms out there...

Huh. TIL.

I’ve only had bad-to-mediocre experiences but it was never the primary platform at my workplaces. Mostly Teams/Skype (garbage until recently) and BlueJeans and Zoom.

WebEx always seemed to flake out with my external mic or it’d crash. Never could get it consistent. Ended up calling in on the phone half the time we were working that particular partner.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
My MBA finally made it out of Eindhoven and arrived at my door within 6 hours of entering the country, and I'm extremely happy with it. This keyboard is seriously lovely, and after I'm done adjusting from the 2014 MBP keyboard I'm sure it'll turn out optimal but I love it already, and I'm delighted to have skipped the butterfly generation completely. Also, having come from a 2014 model with a dual core i7 (I sprung for the i7 MBA, because what the hell) I'm delighted to be able to watch YouTube videos without boiling the CPU and making the fans scream, and also to be able to use Anker cables to charge the thing, finally.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Did you mean to say you sprung for the i7 on your new rMBA as well as on the old 2014 MBA?

I guess we have Intel to thank for managing to bump up their GPU up to the point where it's efficient enough to not go mini-Chernobyl just because it's processing h.264/265 video.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Binary Badger posted:

Did you mean to say you sprung for the i7 on your new rMBA as well as on the old 2014 MBA?

Oh, right. Yes, I sprung for the i7 MBA. Also, I was wrong; my 2014 MBP is actually an i5.

The MBA has been broadly silent in everything I've done, except when I did my initial dropbox sync, which made it go a bit on account of all those files.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Okay, could use some guidance here:

On my old MBP, I had a boatload of stuff in iTunes that later became a boatload of stuff in Music. It seems I have two folders in ~/Music: ~/Music/iTunes, which contains the said boatload, and ~/Music/Music, which just contains a library file.

I've copied ~/Music/iTunes to the new MBA and booted up Music, but it hasn't recognised it.

I've still got everything set up on the old MBP so a do-over isn't a disaster, but I'm not really clear what's actually called for here to get Music on the new MBA to recognise my boatload. Music itself is suggesting a "Music Media" folder of ~/Music/Music/Media but that seems to map to only one folder in my old iTunes folder. Advice?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Fedule posted:

On my old MBP, I had a boatload of stuff in iTunes that later became a boatload of stuff in Music. It seems I have two folders in ~/Music: ~/Music/iTunes, which contains the said boatload, and ~/Music/Music, which just contains a library file.

I've copied ~/Music/iTunes to the new MBA and booted up Music, but it hasn't recognised it.

I've still got everything set up on the old MBP so a do-over isn't a disaster, but I'm not really clear what's actually called for here to get Music on the new MBA to recognise my boatload. Music itself is suggesting a "Music Media" folder of ~/Music/Music/Media but that seems to map to only one folder in my old iTunes folder. Advice?

How did you migrate your stuff over? Did you use migration assistant or did you manually move folders over via thumb drive,etc?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Ok Comboomer posted:

How did you migrate your stuff over? Did you use migration assistant or did you manually move folders over via thumb drive,etc?

This was a manual copy. I've been taking the opportunity to do a mostly fresh install but with data retained where possible.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Fedule posted:

In Music.app, go to Preferences --> Files. Change the media location to your ~/Music/iTunes folder. That should (hopefully) fix it. If not, try dragging the folder to Music.app in the dock.

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 16, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Daniel Bryan posted:

In Music.app, go to Preferences --> Files. Change the media location to your ~/Music/iTunes folder. That should (hopefully) fix it.

This. Alternatively you can open Music, open the /iTunes folder you imported in finder, select all of the artists/albums/etc in there and literally drag them into the Music app. That will essentially “import” all of that music into the right place. I think that might create duplicates in another location (/music?) though so be ready to find the new folder and delete the old.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
This has got my music across, but wiped all my playlists and other data, etc. I'm sure I should be able to keep that; my old 2014 MBP has imports dating back to uh... 2004. I'd really like to keep all of that.

E: to be clear, since the old MBP is still up and running I'm happy to consider steps that begin with nuking the Music library on the new MBA.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 16, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I hit my Match limit today, so I've pretty much given up on Music. It's loving terrible, and I'm someone who had essentially no major issues with iTunes for over a decade. Jesus.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/16/21223607/macbook-battery-health-management-charge-percentage

Basically, macOS 10.15.5 will include Battery Health Management for all 2016+ rMBPs and 2018 MBAs.

The Verge posted:

Apple is introducing a new feature in most modern MacBooks called “Battery health management.” It’s going to be available today for developers and will roll into the future macOS Catalina 10.15.5 update.

On by default, the new feature is intended to extend the overall lifespan of your laptop battery by reducing the rate of chemical aging. It does so by not charging the battery all the way up to the maximum in certain cases.

Fully charging a battery puts a strain on it that can more rapidly reduce its longevity over time. Some phones now avoid charging all the way to 100 percent until just before you wake up for this reason.

What that means for your laptop is that in certain cases, seeing 100 percent battery life in your menu bar may not necessarily mean it’s the maximum your battery could charge to.

Instead of meaning that it’s charged to 100 percent of what the battery could take, it will now mean it’s charged to 100 percent of what the battery should take to maximize it’s lifespan.

Apple says that it will of course ensure that it doesn’t have a major impact on battery life, but would not say what percentage a charge may be reduced.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Fedule posted:

This has got my music across, but wiped all my playlists and other data, etc. I'm sure I should be able to keep that; my old 2014 MBP has imports dating back to uh... 2004. I'd really like to keep all of that.

Oh. Well, then. On the old Mac, go to iTunes/Music. Go to File --> Library --> Export Library. It will export an XML of your library. Now, open the file in TextEdit or something. Find <key>Music Folder</key><string>file:///Users/yourusername/Music/Music/Media.localized/</string> and make sure the path matches where the music is now. Save it if it needed to be changed, and then import the file on your new Mac by dragging it to Music.app. Should work.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Fedule posted:

My MBA finally made it out of Eindhoven and arrived at my door within 6 hours of entering the country, and I'm extremely happy with it. This keyboard is seriously lovely, and after I'm done adjusting from the 2014 MBP keyboard I'm sure it'll turn out optimal but I love it already, and I'm delighted to have skipped the butterfly generation completely. Also, having come from a 2014 model with a dual core i7 (I sprung for the i7 MBA, because what the hell) I'm delighted to be able to watch YouTube videos without boiling the CPU and making the fans scream, and also to be able to use Anker cables to charge the thing, finally.

Post your temperatures while:
1) YouTube
2) zoom video ON
3) outlook word and iTunes open/playing

For science

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Binary Badger posted:

Ok Apple (not boomer) you released the iPhone SE2, now it's time to circle back to the Mac and pinch out that 14-incher rMBP.

In other hardware news, Apple is finally offering the Radeon Pro W5700X card for the new Mac Pro.

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/04/15/mac-pro-radeon-pro-w5700x-graphics-now-available/

Only $600 more than a Radeon 580X, such a deal.

Edit: aannnd the iPhone SE2 gets WiFi 6 / 802.11ax.. hopefully the 14-inch rMBP will too, since Intel has on-chip support for it?

they didnt put ax in the new macbooks pro 16" which is baffling

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Binary Badger posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/16/21223607/macbook-battery-health-management-charge-percentage

Basically, macOS 10.15.5 will include Battery Health Management for all 2016+ rMBPs and 2018 MBAs.

I love having my understanding of battery health (avoid hanging out over 80% or under 20%, avoid unnecessary cycling) validated by all these features. And you guys said the battery controller already did a perfect job haha.

Also isn’t this a feature thinkpads had for years or am I crazy?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Captain Apollo posted:

1) YouTube
2) zoom video ON

For science

Also uh... Minecraft

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Daniel Bryan posted:

Oh. Well, then. On the old Mac, go to iTunes/Music. Go to File --> Library --> Export Library. It will export an XML of your library. Now, open the file in TextEdit or something. Find <key>Music Folder</key><string>file:///Users/yourusername/Music/Music/Media.localized/</string> and make sure the path matches where the music is now. Save it if it needed to be changed, and then import the file on your new Mac by dragging it to Music.app. Should work.

Nope! I don't see any sign of that having done anything.

I'm going to try re-importing everything again. If anyone knows or can recite a good step by step that'd be great - I've searched a bunch but the terminology confusion is loving everything up enormously.

Specific question in the meantime: I've got a bunch of stuff in my iTunes folder on the old MBP: Album Artwork, iTunes Library Extras.itdb, iTunes Library Genius.itdb, iTunes Library.itl, iTunes Media, iTunes Music, iTunes Music Library.xml, and Previous iTunes Libraries. How much of this stuff is the actual pertinent part of my library that I need to copy? I feel like a bunch of it may well be redundant stuff from ages past (remember I've had this library since 2004).

Fedule fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 16, 2020

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Captain Apollo posted:

1) YouTube
2) zoom video ON

For science

And make sure you join a Zoom chat where there's at least 8 participants each playing their own dopey frog / pron / JoJo mp4 as their virtual background

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Malcolm XML posted:

they didnt put ax in the new macbooks pro 16" which is baffling

Well, that's based on Comet Lake, the new 2020 MBAs use Ice Lake which has on-chip support for WiFi 6 but only come with 802.11ac.

You'd think that even if they didn't use the on-CPU WiFi 6 they'd just lift whatever controller on the iPhone 11/SE 2 is providing 802.11ax, but nooooo....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Okay. Progress.

What I did was, I copied my entire iTunes Media folder from the MBP to the MBA, and also the iTunes Library.itl file. Then I held down Option while starting up Music. This prompts Music to initialise and request to either create a new library or import one. I then pointed it at my .itl Library, and Music then converted it into a .musiclibrary file. All of my stuff instantly showed up in Music, complete with all stats and history and artwork and playlists. Lovely! I feel like this is what should have happened when I followed Daniel Bryan's advice above and in retrospect I can see how that absolutely should have done that, because this is just importing a Library file, but I guess Music is just kind of a fucker about it and won't take XML as an import?

...except, Music has once again set every goddamn thing to its stupid lovely Playlist view instead of the Songs view that's actually loving usable, and has reset all my columns again so I again have to set every loving playlist one at a time to use the Songs view and have the columns I actually want. What the christ, Apple. How have you hosed this up so completely?!

E: Also, I am missing my four most recently added albums. That's pretty specifically weird. Oh well. For retaining 16 years of library history, I'll take it.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 17, 2020