Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.

Bob McGinn's Anonymous Cabal of Scouting posted:

Another scout calls [Logan] Stenberg, from Madison, Ala, a “country boy … he has a pickup truck, chews tobacco. Mother’s a teacher, father’s retired Army lieutenant colonel. Has a farm now and raises cattle. Smart kid.”

Grade: Future Hall of Famer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Diva Cupcake posted:

Bob McGinn's draft series has moved over to The Athletic and it's pretty amazing. The first two are on WR/TE and OL.

https://theathletic.com/1745820/2020/04/15/mcginns-nfl-draft-series-scouts-on-top-wide-receivers-and-tight-ends/
https://theathletic.com/1749660/2020/04/16/mcginns-nfl-draft-series-scouts-on-top-offensive-linemen/

I would have thought Michael Pittman would have at least garnered a single vote, but nope.

If anyone has a sub I'd really appreciate the full post.

There's some very dumb scouts this year with the blurbs I've seen so far that McGinn's released. CeeDee Lamb got both a Chad Johnson and Anquan Boldin comparison

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Tom Sellout posted:

Grade: Future Hall of Famer

he looks like an inflated baby

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
https://twitter.com/JordanHeckFF/status/1250805327861342209?s=20

lol

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

Offensive line piece:

quote:

Accentuating the positive is a way of life for analysts drawing a paycheck from networks that televise National Football League games — and from the league itself. Happy talk makes friends and generates hope while obscuring the stark reality of every draft day.

Jason Licht, the general manager of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, sliced well beyond the Pollyannish last week in a briefing with reporters.

“Across the league, it’s 50-50 whether any first-round pick is going to be a player or not three years down the road,” he said. “It’s 50-50 from the first pick down to the 32nd pick.”

When applied to the tackle position, regarded as one of the best in this draft, it means two of the four players expected to be selected in the first 15 to 20 picks figure to be disappointments, if not busts, by 2023. That grim analysis apparently is why GMs get paid the big bucks.

At least almost everyone is in the same pressurized boat when it comes to tackles.

“There’s no team that feels good about its two tackles,” an AFC personnel man said. “Maybe one or two teams in the league. Everyone needs to get better.

“Where are you going to get them? You’re not going to get a tackle in the third round or the fourth round. If you want a guy, you’ve got to get a guy.”

Since time immemorial, the winners will be the two teams that pick the two tackles who can play and the losers will be the two teams that pick the two tackles who can’t, at least according to Licht’s viewpoint that is widely shared in the league. The prospects/suspects presumably at the head of the class, in alphabetical order, are Louisville’s Mekhi Becton, Georgia’s Andrew Thomas, Alabama’s Jedrick Wills and Iowa’s Tristan Wirfs. (Wirfs is ranked below in our Guard category).

“It has talent, but it has questions,” the AFC exec said of the tackle group. “Andrew Thomas had a couple average games late in the season but early played really well. Wirfs is physically gifted, but it doesn’t always translate. With Becton, consistency is the question. Wills, I think he could play left tackle, but that’s going to take some time.”

An AFC personnel director rated Wills No. 1 because he sees him as a complete player. As for the others, he said, “Wirfs has unbelievable athleticism but needs to finish a little better.

“If Becton is motivated enough he can be the best of the group. But he’s going to have to find the work ethic, drive and the coachability that NFL teams will demand.

“Thomas is athletically very gifted. He’s probably got to work on his anchor and his strength a little bit.”

Then there was this from another executive who underscored the crapshoot the draft is at every position.

“I think the tackle class is really overrated,” he said. “There’s not a great one, not a Joe Thomas, in the group. All these guys have their warts.”

Part of the problem is the top four tackles all spent just three seasons in college. Offensive line was the last position to see large numbers of underclassmen declaring for the draft. A general feeling persisted for years that offensive linemen needed as much physical maturation as possible before going pro.

In 2000, just two of the top offensive linemen were juniors. Marvel Smith, a tackle from Arizona State, and Cosey Coleman, a guard from Tennessee, were taken in the second round. In 2010, just three of the top 10 vote-getters in my poll of the top offensive linemen were juniors. Two tackles, Rutgers’ Anthony Davis and Iowa’s Bryan Bulaga, were taken in the first round as was center Maurkice Pouncey of Florida.

In 2020, 10 of the top 11 vote-getters in the same poll asking scouts to rank their top offensive linemen regardless of position were underclassmen. The only senior, Houston’s Josh Jones, finished eighth in the voting.

“If you’re decent now it’s three years and you’re coming out,” one scout said. “Some guys redshirt and come out in two. Not a lot of them stay in college anymore.”

It’s almost reached the point where if a top player plays out his collegiate eligibility something must be wrong with him.

“They’ve been thrust up there as the unquestioned top four because they’re juniors,” said a personnel man. “The media just kind of does that with juniors. They just assume these guys are great prospects because they’re coming out early, and they’re not.”

My poll of 17 personnel people over the last two weeks showed four juniors packed together at the top with almost no separation. Scouts were asked to rank their top six offensive linemen, with a first-place vote worth 6 points, a second worth 5 and so on. Thomas led with 78 points and seven firsts but tight on his heels were Becton (75, five), Wills (71, two) and Wirfs (71, three).

“There’s no consensus with these guys,” an NFC personnel director said. “We have different orders between scouts, coaches. It’s kind of your flavor. You probably will get six tackles (in the first round) but there’s only four you feel good about. Then it falls off.”

There have been only two instances in my polling over the last 12 years in which the vote for the best offensive linemen had so little clarity at the top.

In 2017, Alabama’s Cam Robinson led with 59 points followed by Utah’s Garett Bolles with 57 and Wisconsin’s Ryan Ramczyk with 53. In 2009, Baylor’s Jason Smith led with 74 points followed by Alabama’s Andre Smith with 70 and Virginia’s Eugene Monroe with 64.

Ramczyk, the No. 32 pick, made first-team All-Pro this season for New Orleans whereas Bolles (No. 20, Denver) and Robinson (No. 34, Jacksonville) remain below-average starters. A decade before, Monroe (No. 10, Jacksonville) enjoyed a slightly better career than Andre Smith (No. 6, Cincinnati), although neither made a Pro Bowl, whereas Jason Smith (No. 2, St. Louis) saw his career ruined by concussions.

Before the draft in 2009, Chicago GM Jerry Angelo offered perspective that rings true today.

“One thing about tackles, the reason they go in the first round is the value,” said Angelo. “Not necessarily because they’re the 25th, 26th-best player in the draft. It’s the value of the position. That’s what speaks volumes.”

There was a precipitous drop off to fifth place in this year’s poll. That was Cesar Ruiz, who totaled 16 points. Others receiving votes were Austin Jackson (12), Isaiah Wilson (10), Josh Jones (five), Ezra Cleveland (four), Lloyd Cushenberry (four), Matt Hennessy (four), Hakeem Adeniji (three), Matt Peart (two) and Robert Hunt and Shane LeMieux, each one.

Meanwhile, at center, some teams like the group while others don’t. There seemed to be close to unanimity when it came to guard, where one team emerged from meetings with merely three draftable players.

“The bar is so low for centers and guards in the NFL,” said one executive. “People are just so desperate for bodies.

“There’s a premium on the D-line. So, if you have any degree of size of ability at all, they put you on defense. So you’re always getting the seconds for those interior spots (on the offensive line).

“The way the game is played in college, you’re in a two-point stance. It’s all hurry-up, no-huddle. If you can just engage your opponent, it’s a win. The line play is so bad. They want to run 99 plays and wear the defense down. If they can get three guys to stay upright in the middle, that’s good enough.”

Another evaluator drily observed, “They all get drafted if they’re offensive linemen.”

quote:

TACKLES
1. ANDREW THOMAS, Georgia (6-5, 315, 5.17, 1): Thomas started at RT as a true freshman and at LT the past two seasons. “I thought he was the most natural and productive of all these guys,” one scout said. “He rarely gets beat. Has long arms (36 1/8 inches), and he plays with ‘em. Redirects well.” Thomas is a three-sport athlete from Lithonia, Ga. “Never have an issue with him,” another scout said. “This kid will pick up the system immediately. Cannot say enough good stuff about him. He’s a legit starter right away.” Scored 28 on the 12-minute, 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test. “Would like to see a more aggressive finish,” a third scout said. “Doesn’t move defenders with power. Considering his athleticism, he’s on the ground a little more than I expected. Will need to get stronger in his drive blocks. I have questions about his skill set.” Some scouts say his feet are more than adequate for a LT. Others disagree. “Struggles against speed,” a fourth scout said. “Some of the pass-pro deficiencies make you want to think he’s more of a right tackle. What keeps you in the boat with Andrew is that everyone at Georgia really says high things about his football makeup and character. It’s an intangible-based position. At minimum, you’ll have a really good, solid starter because he’ll do all the right things.”

2. MEKHI BECTON, Louisville (6-7 ½, 357, 5.11, 1): Started at RT as a true freshman and at LT the past two seasons. “He has the highest ceiling,” said one scout. “You shouldn’t have the initial lateral quickness at that size that this guy has. There’s some rawness there (but) he could be a perennial Pro Bowl type.” That personnel man tabbed Becton as the No. 1 lineman in the draft. So did this scout, who said, “You know what? You can’t get around him. He’s athletic enough to block DBs in space. He can bend his lower body. He has strong hands. One concern I had was he was knock-kneed. You can’t say he’s Trent Williams. He’s like Orlando Brown (6-8, 340, 5.68) of the Ravens.” Another scout compared him to former Viking LT Bryant McKinnie (6-8, 343, 5.38), the seventh pick in 2002. “But he’s tougher than McKinnie,” the scout said. “He doesn’t play hard all the time…but he takes care of business. He’s been as high as 388, as low as 350. Will fatigue a little bit. Trustworthy. A teddy bear. He’s a pretty squared-away guy.” He matured significantly as a player and learned to play through injury in 2019. “He’s not one of those overweight, lazy guys,” a third scout said. “He can move and he competes. He’s what everybody’s looking for.” He posted a Wonderlic score of 15, and his arms were 35 5/8, hands were 10 ¾. “Know why I have him fifth (on his vote)?” said a fourth scout. “Because he loves to cook and eat more than he loves frigging football…He can be a freak now. You could hit on him. You know what he is? He’s Trent Brown (6-8 ½, 353, 5.26).” Becton is from Highland Springs, Va.

3. JEDRICK WILLS, Alabama (6-4, 312, 5.06, 1): Wills, from Lexington, Ky., improved as much if not more than any player in the draft last season, according to one scout. “He’s got feet, he’s got flexibility and he competes really hard,” said another scout. “Really good with his drive block. Square pass protection. Runs and pulls with ease. Really light on his feet. Pretty good in space. His height is OK.” The third-year junior played RT only, protecting Tua Tagovailoa’s blind side. “I think he does have left-tackle feet but I don’t think he’s a left tackle,” said a third scout. “You may try to kick him to left but people don’t know how hard that is, especially when you haven’t done it.” Two-year starter. “I like Wills as a right tackle or guard because he’s tough and plays hard, but he’s not a left tackle,” another scout said. “He needed extra time there.” Scored 9 on his first attempt at the Wonderlic, which teams traditionally have regarded as the most telling score, but he scored 23 on his second try. “We interviewed him twice,” said one scout. “He wouldn’t scare you off. I would say it (the Wonderlic) is not (a big concern).” He produced the best vertical jump (34 ½) of the tackles. “I don’t get the whole excitement with him, and I’ve watched a ton of tape,” another scout said. “I don’t think he plays very athletically. He’s not a finisher. He doesn’t redirect very well. Not a strong, tough guy. He worked out well. I just don’t see the movement, finish, talent of a first-round guy.”

4. AUSTIN JACKSON, USC (6-5, 322, 5.08, 1-2): Jackson is a third-year junior with two seasons as the starter at LT. “As far as the way he looks – the frame, the long arms, the bubble, the bend – you’re, like, ‘OK, this guy’s going to be really good,’” said one scout. “But he’s a hands-outside guy, which is kind of hard to fix. With his hands going outside and bending at the waist, he had a terrible outing against (A.J.) Epenesa in the bowl game. He’s the boom-or-bust of this group. He’s either going to hit big and be a starter for a long time, or he’ll bust out and people will say, ‘He wasn’t any different than I thought.’ Very, very inconsistent.’” In July, he became a bone marrow donor for his sister Autumn. “He basically saved her life,” another scout said. “They corkscrewed into his hip, twice on the left and once on the right, to get the marrow out. When he recovered his hip flexibility was not what it used to be. He lost like 25 pounds. If you look at the early tape you go, ‘What the hell? This guy is thinking about coming out?’ He was getting beat on the edges because he couldn’t move laterally. It wasn’t until the seventh or eighth game where he was starting to feel normal. His best football is ahead of him. Awesome kid.” He posted a 25 on the Wonderlic and his broad jump of 9-7 led tackles. “He makes run and pass look easy,” another scout said. “Guy doesn’t work up a sweat. Has the feet to play left tackle. Needs a little work.” Added another executive: “One thing to think about, he missed all last offseason and now he’s going to miss this whole offseason. So the idea he’s got to get stronger … well, when? Next year?” Jackson is from Phoenix. His grandfather, Mel, started at RG for Green Bay in 1977-’78.

5. ISAIAH WILSON, Georgia (6-6 ½, 350, 5.37, 1-2): Wilson is a third-year sophomore with 24 starts at RT. “He’s just gigantic,” said one scout. “Size is his best friend. He is so big. Not top-flight foot movement but good enough for being that big. He’s strong and he’s tough. I doubt that (first round). That would shock me.” He played opposite Thomas, giving the Bulldogs possibly the nation’s heaviest line. “Like him,” another scout said. “He’s massive. He moves good. He’s got great length. I think he’s a starting right tackle and will play for a while.” Arms were 35 ½, hands were 10 ¼. “He is one tough, nasty guy,” said a third scout. “I guess you could play him on the left side and get by with him.” He posted a 28 on the Wonderlic. “He wasn’t ready to come out,” said a fourth scout. “He needed another year. He’s really susceptible to a good bull rush. For being such a big human being there’s some functional lightness to that guy. He looks like a big mountain of a man but he doesn’t play real heavy. You can take him down the middle.” Wilson is from Brooklyn, N.Y. Added a fifth scout: “He is big but he’s so bad technique. He ducks his head, he bends at the waist. But that (guy) is big. He could be a star or bust.”

6. EZRA CLEVELAND, Boise State (6-6, 311, 4.97, 1-2): Cleveland is a three-year starter at LT. “He’s a really good athlete,” said one scout. “He’ll be a solid pass protector. I think he’s steady. He tested out really well. He’ll be close to the first (round). Tackles go.” Lightly recruited out of Spanaway, Wash. “He reminds me of some of the guys Green Bay has had over the years,” said a second scout. “(Bryan) Bulaga, (David) Bakhtiari, guys that kind of are just functional and get the job done. They’re not spectacular, just steady … if Cleveland didn’t have to interview people would really like him. But his interview was so low energy and just kind of flat line that it kind of just scared people. He’s so Steady Eddie. It’s not that he’s a bad guy at all. Cleveland … he’s Boise, he’s a junior, he’s got to get stronger. But he is athletic.” He played most of 2019 with turf toe injury. Led tackles in five categories: the 40, Wonderlic (30), bench press (30), short shuttle (4.46) and 3-cone (7.26). Arms were just 33 3/8, hands were a tiny 9. “Everybody’s high on him,” said another scout. “Why am I not that high on him? There’s a degree of tightness in his hips. Has balance issues. I question his lower-body strength. Not going to beat point-of-attack defenders. Finesse guy that uses his size. Size defenders knock him around. I question his lateral adjust. But guys like him.”

7. JOSH JONES, Houston (6-5, 319, 5.28, 2): Spent five years with the Cougars, starting at LT from 2016-’19. “He almost left Houston as a grad transfer,” one scout said. “He was fed up with all the coaching changes and no continuity or stability. He stayed one more year and it paid off for him. He’s a basketball-background guy. This was his real year of production and got on the radar of people. He’s athletic. Sort of technique-flawed. It’ll take him a little time to get it all buttoned up. He’s a serviceable, functional NFL tackle. You can get by with him, I think.” He posted a Wonderlic score of 14 and his arms were 33 7/8, hands were 10 1/8. “Understands how to use his hands in pass pro,” said a second scout. “Struggles to move guys at the point of attack. Inconsistent.” Didn’t start playing football until his sophomore year of high school in Richmond, Texas. “He’s not a kid you want to sign off on completely,” a third scout said. “He definitely showed flashes of talent. He’s a little bit inconsistent. Pass pro’s his thing. His run blocking is a little iffy.”

8. MATT PEART, Connecticut (6-6 ½, 318, 5.10, 2-3): He should be a starter in his second season, according to one scout. “He really surprised me,” said one scout. “I haven’t watched them (Connecticut) in years. They may be the worst program in the country. But he has great feet. He’s a natural left tackle. No punch as a run blocker. Better tenacity than strength. Heck of a pass blocker.” Born in Jamaica, Peart emigrated to the U.S. in 2002. “There’s good and bad with him,” a second scout said. “Probably the longest guy (36 5/8 arms) in the draft. He’s got a big basketball player’s build. But he doesn’t have any strength. He’s not a throwaway. If somebody gets him in a good strength program … He’s got interests outside of football, which isn’t typical for an offensive lineman. He’s not a bad kid; you just want to make sure he’s committed. He has developmental starter ability.” He started at RT in 2016-’17 and at LT in 2018-’19. “Name me an offensive lineman for UConn in the last 25 years,” said a third scout. “Just name one.” Peart posted a Wonderlic of 20.

9. PRINCE TEGA WANOGHO, Auburn (6-5, 305, no 40, 2-3): Their calling card is the ability to negate the up-field rush, according to one scout, but struggles mightily against counter moves inside. “He’ll be a second-round pick,” another scout said. “He’s close to the first. He’s real quick. He’s got short arms (33 ½), which is concerning. Good agility, good movement, good effort.”He came to the U.S. from Nigeria in August 2014 to play basketball in Montgomery, Ala. “He doesn’t know that much about football,” said another scout. “He’s going to (need) some reps. He’s not ready to play right now. He’s not going to be an instant asset to you, but he will become a starter. I’d take a chance on him in the second round.” Teams expressed concern about an injury history that includes a tibia-fibula fracture in 2015 and arthroscopic knee surgery in January. Spent five years at Auburn, starting 32 games at LT. “Doesn’t play with urgency,” said another scout. “Constantly late out of his stance. Has issues at the second level. He’s got a little work to do.”

10. LUCAS NIANG, TCU (6-6, 315, no 40, 4): Niang made 27 starts at RT over the past three seasons. “He’s a big, talented guy, but he’s inconsistent,” one scout said. “You would like a guy as big as him to be a little more dominant. I don’t want to go so far as to say he’s not tough, but he’s not as tough as he should be for as big as he is. That plays into who the kid is. He comes from money. He doesn’t have to have football. Some of these guys are living for it. I don’t know if that’s the case with him. He does have starter talent.” Regarded as a distinct medical concern for several teams because of a labrum tear in his hip that required surgery in October. “He’s a strong, very physical right tackle,” another scout said. “He’s an adequate pass blocker but doesn’t have the feet to play left tackle. He’s the type of guy that plays.” From New Canaan, Conn, he’s lived in Switzerland and is fluent in French.

OTHERS, in order: Saahdiq Charles, LSU; Jack Driscoll, Auburn; Yasir Durant, Missouri; Charlie Heck, North Carolina; Alex Taylor, South Carolina State; Colton McKivitz, West Virginia; Trey Adams, Washington; Tyre Phillips, Mississippi State; Terence Steele, Texas Tech; Blake Brandel, Oregon State; Anthony McKinney, TCU; Drew Richmond, USC.

quote:

GUARDS
1. TRISTAN WIRFS, Iowa (6-5, 320, 4.87, 1): Wirfs is a third-year junior from Mount Vernon, Iowa (pop. 4,000). “All-state wrestler,” said one scout. “May be a better guard. Strong, physical run blocker. Has enough size and strength not to get bull-rushed. Strong hips. You may start him at right tackle, but eventually you’ll move him inside to guard.” Made 29 starts at RT, four at LT. “After he tested at the combine people started saying, ‘He can play left tackle,’” said another scout. “There’s no verifiable evidence of that. He was not good at left tackle for Iowa.” He blew out the combine with guard-bests in the 40, vertical jump (36 ½) and broad jump (10-1). “You can play him anywhere you want,” a third scout said. “He’s really good. He had great numbers at the combine but other than blocking the inside power move all he needs is technique. He’ll be a star.” He posted a Wonderlic of 23. “He’s a better athlete than football player at this point,” said a fourth scout. “He isn’t your typical polished Iowa NFL-ready guy from a technique and awareness standpoint. He’s not ready to play. Where you draft him you’re going to have to plug him in and start him, and he’s going to lose you some games next year. But he’s obviously a phenomenal test athlete so some team will get enamored with that. The tape is really up and down.”

2. ROBERT HUNT, Louisiana (6-5, 323, no 40, 2): Started at LG in 2016-’17 and at RT in 2018-’19. “Tough guy,” said one scout. “Got some initial pop. He can strike you. Not an elite athlete. Got some waist-bend issues. But there’s a lot to work with.” His chances for an early selection took a hit because of a groin injury that required surgery in January and cost him the last seven games and post-season participation. “Had he been able to go to the Senior Bowl and showed out against tough competition he might be a guy we’re talking about late in the first round,” another scout said. “He plays with a mean streak. He’s powerful. He can move people.” His Wonderlic score of 13 was second-lowest among the top guards. “He’s actually much more football smart than you want to give him credit for,” said a third scout. “He’s going to go pretty high because he can play four positions. He’s a little bit rough around the edges. You don’t want to rush him. You don’t want to depend on him to do too much. Maybe third round, but tackles usually get overdrafted so second wouldn’t surprise me.” From Burkeville, Texas.

3. SHANE LeMIEUX, Oregon (6-4, 308, 5.12, 3): Started all 52 games at LG from 2016-’19. “That is a tough, competitive bastard,” one scout said. “It surprised me. I wouldn’t think coming out of the Oregon offense there would be a guy like this from what they do. But this guy’s mean. He’s limited athletically a little bit. He’s got straight-line speed but some stiffness. Once you get him out in space he struggles a little bit. He’s more of a power-game player.” Short arms (32 ¼), relatively smaller hands (9 ½). Two scouts said he reminded them of Richie Incognito. “Just style of play, nasty, strong hands, sturdy in pass pro — not all the other stuff (with Incognito),” said one. “Not the most agile in space. Grit, finishing to the whistle, that’s him. Realistically, he’ll probably go third, fourth round. Wherever he goes, I think he’s a starter.” He’s from Yakima, Wash. “Sort of a meat-and-potatoes guard,” said a third scout. “Probably a one-spot guy. You can’t move him all over the place. He’s solid. He’ll be an NFL starter.”

4. JONAH JACKSON, Ohio State (6-3 ½, 306, 5.26, 3): Jackson started for 1 ½ seasons before graduating from Rutgers and playing a final season at the other end of the Big Ten standings as a grad transfer. “You walked on the field at Ohio State and looked at the offensive linemen and you could pick out the guy from Rutgers right away,” said one scout. “He’s got a horrible body. He’s a little bit behind having been at Rutgers. The beginning-of-the-year film wasn’t as good in a new scheme. But then, by the end of the year, he was playing well, and he did well at the Senior Bowl. He doesn’t do everything pretty, but he’s a good football player. He’s a great, great guy, and he’s got some mean to him.” Started 16 games for the Scarlet Knights, mostly at RG but also three times at center, before moving to LG in Columbus. “I hate Rutgers players, but that Jackson kid, he’ll play 10 years,” said another scout. “He’s a tough (guy) and he’s smart.” From Media, Pa.

5. BEN BARTCH, St. John’s (Minn.) (6-5 ½, 309, 5.16, 3): Reminiscent of Ali Marpet, an NCAA Division III guard from Hobart (N.Y.) who was the Buccaneers’ second-round pick in 2015. Marpet is a five-year interior starter for Tampa Bay. “He’s the best small-school guy since Ali Marpet,” said one personnel man. “This Bartch kid may surprise everybody. They go down to the Senior Bowl and they either wilt or they fit in. He fit in.” Bartch made four receptions in two seasons as a backup TE for the Johnnies, located in Collegeville, Minn., before adding weight and making the move to LT in 2018. He also played tackle in Mobile but some teams say his arm length (32 7/8) is better suited inside. “He liked the weight room,” said another scout. “He put on a ton of weight (he was 280 last spring). It’s a small-college weight room, and he had to eat on his own and all that stuff. I think he did the most that he possibly could with his development. He’s an intriguing guy, for sure. He has the temperament that you want.” Bartch is from McMinnville. Ore.

6. DAMIEN LEWIS, LSU (6-2, 327, 5.24, 3-4): Lewis played two seasons of junior-college ball before starting all 28 games at RG from 2018-’19 for LSU. “Like him,” said one scout. “He is f—— powerful. He’s short, but he’s compact. The key with him is, will he be able to play center? He’s a really good Day 3 guy. He’s too short but he’ll end up playing for somebody.” His ability to play center might hinge on his ability to make the line calls. His Wonderlic score of 11 was low among the top guards. “Wasn’t crazy about him,” said another scout. “Typical big, slow guy. Competes. Wasn’t much there.” Lewis is from Canton, Miss.

7. JOHN SIMPSON, Clemson (6-4, 320, 5.26, 4): Simpson backed up for two years before starting all 29 games at LG in 2018-’19. “There are some flashes of him controlling or pressing out defensive linemen but also inconsistencies,” said one scout. “Lacks true explosive power off the ball and shock on contact.” Weighed 336 a year ago. “He’s tough but he has no feet,” said a second scout. “Clemson’s offensive line, with the exception of the (sophomore) left tackle, was not good.” Had the most bench-press reps (34), the longest arms (34 1/8) and the biggest hands (11 ¼) among the top guards. “He did just enough to keep you interested,” said a third scout. “Problem is, he’s a guard only. That reduces his value.” From Charleston, S.C.

8. HAKEEM ADENIJI, Kansas (6-4 ½, 301, 5.18, 4): Four-year starter at LT. “I like that guy,” one scout said. “He’s developed a lot over the last two years and has more to go. Maybe the volatility of that program has held him back a little bit. He had four different offensive line coaches during his time there. Smart kid, good kid, good athlete, has the right size, has the right feet, has the right length (33 ¾ arms). I think he’ll start out at guard, but ultimately I think he’d be better as a tackle because he’s more long and athletic than strong and stout.” His Wonderlic score of 34 led the top-10 guards and he had a strong week at the Senior Bowl. “I don’t like him,” said another scout. “Small-boned athlete. Not a very strong player. Hips get high in pass protection. Wish I saw better control of his body. Doesn’t always finish. … He just kind of creeps around and gets in the way. He’d be an oozer, too.” From Garland, Texas.

9. KEVIN DOTSON, Louisiana (6-4, 313, no 40, 4-5): Dotson wasn’t invited to the combine. “He’s very intriguing,” said one scout. “He’s going to be one of the first non-combine guys taken. He’s physical. He doesn’t give up any pressure. One of the more productive players in that conference (Sun Belt).” He started 52 of 53 games at RG. Dotson, who’s from East Iberville, La., is the son of a high school coach. His two uncles, DT Alvin McKinley and FB Dennis McKinley, were drafted in the middle rounds and had substantial NFL careers. Short arms (32 ½) but big hands (10 5/8). “He’s got stiff ankles,” another scout said. “Non-athletic power guard. Phone-booth kind of player. He might be a late pick.”

10. LOGAN STENBERG, Kentucky (6-6, 317, 5.34, 4-5): Stenberg was a three-year starter at LG. “Remember Joe Jacoby and Conrad Dobler, guys like that?” one scout said. “He’s an old-time player. They just want to get in the dirt. I’m sure if he doesn’t get 60 pins a game he’s had a bad game. Tough, nasty, mauler type. Questionable lateral quickness and change of direction. I don’t like this guy as an athlete, but I like him as a player. These guys line up and play.” He has short arms (32 ½) and was heavily penalized, but he’s durable. Another scout calls Stenberg, from Madison, Ala, a “country boy … he has a pickup truck, chews tobacco. Mother’s a teacher, father’s retired Army lieutenant colonel. Has a farm now and raises cattle. Smart kid.”

OTHERS, in order: Ben Bredeson, Michigan; Netane Muti, Fresno State; Tremayne Anchrum, Clemson; Michael Onwenu, Michigan; Cameron Clark, Charlotte; Jon Runyan, Michigan; John Molchon, Boise State; Solomon Kindley, Georgia; Kyle Murphy, Rhode Island; Cordel Iwuagwu, TCU; Simon Stepaniak, Indiana.

quote:

CENTERS
1. CESAR RUIZ, Michigan (6-2 ½, 307, 5.11, 1-2): Ruiz started five games at RG as a true freshman and then all 26 at center the past two seasons before declaring a year early. “I think he’s going to be a Pro Bowl center,” said one scout. He had a long afternoon against Alabama’s Raekwon Davis in the Citrus Bowl, according to one scout. “He’s like a (Garrett) Bradbury,” the scout said. “He’s really going to be excellent for a zone team because he’s so quick. Really got to the second level. Only negative I had was the strength thing. He just had OK strength. He’ll have problems like Bradbury has problems, but he can do all the stuff that Bradbury did.” Led the centers in vertical jump (33), broad jump (9-5), bench press (28) and hand size (11). His arms were 33 1/8. “He’s the top center,” said a third scout. “Right at prototype from the size and the length. He’s got good feet and movement skills. Smart, strong, good hands.” He posted a Wonderlic score of 21. “We have some division on him,” said a fourth scout. “I think he will be a starter. I don’t know if he’ll be a win-with starter. I don’t think he’s a great athlete. He is strong, really strong naturally. He didn’t measure as big as we thought he’d be. He’s better than Mason Cole as a center. He wasn’t a guy that excited me, but there’s only 32 centers.” Ruiz is from Camden, N.J.

2. LLOYD CUSHENBERRY, LSU (6-3, 312, 5.28, 2-3): Cushenberry, from Carvilla, La., is a fourth-year junior and a two-year starter. “He’ll be a Pro Bowl center,” said one scout. “His wingspan (84 ¼ inches) is the longest I’ve ever seen on a center. Phenomenal kid. Held his own against (Javon) Kinlaw in the one-on-one’s (at the Senior Bowl). He’s about the only one that did that. … Elgton Jenkins played great for the Packers (in 2019), but Cushenberry is a better prospect than Jenkins.” Made himself some money in Mobile. “I thought he was kind of a heavy-footed player,” another scout said. “At the Senior Bowl, he showed he had feet like a dancing bear. Now I think he’s going in the second. He’s got an anchor rear end to him. Plays like a good athlete.” Longest arms (34 1/8) among centers, hands were 10 3/8. “He’s not displacing anybody (in the run game),” said another scout. “Can become a good depth player.” He posted a Wonderlic of 15. “He can anchor and has length,” a fourth scout said. “He does some nice things, but he gets beat too much when isolated.”

3. MATT HENNESSY, Temple (6-4, 307, 5.18, 3-4): Hennessy is a fourth-year junior and three-year starter. “He’s a really good technician,” said one scout. “Really light on his feet. He can bend. He’s tough. High intangibles. Not powerful, but not deficient.” Hennessy is from Bardonia, N.Y. and “people love him,” another scout said. “He worked out really well. Little bit physically overmatched but plays hard, gets after it, tough guy.” His Wonderlic of 34 was tops among centers. Arms were merely 32 ¼. “I thought he was fifth, sixth round,” a third scout said. “He’s not very big. He got tossed around. Their blocking scheme at Temple is everybody goes left or everybody goes right. Pass block, run block. You’re just sealing a gap. It’s not like taking somebody head-on all then time. I didn’t see him play to any of his numbers. He’s a good football player, but I think he’s a backup.”

4. DANNY PINTER, Ball State (6-4, 306, 4.88, 4-5): Pinter played TE in 2016-’17 (nine receptions) before moving to RT in the 2018 off-season. “He’s got 31 7/8 arms,” said one scout. “That’s why I made him a center. He’s going to make a hell of a center.” Center is purely a projection. “He worked out well,” said a second scout. “He’s a good athlete. But you’re talking about a guy from Ball State that you’re going to fall in love with as a center and you’ve never seen him play center?” He posted a Wonderlic of 27. “He can play center, which he’s been working at,” a third scout said. “Got all the intangibles for center. He’s athletic, super tough, really a competitive guy. Goes for the finish. Will take some work to develop him where he can play guard, too. He’s never done it. Awesome kid.” From South Bend, Ind.

5. NICK HARRIS, Washington (6-1, 302, 5.13, 5-6): Harris made 17 starts at guard in 2016-’17 before starting 25 games at center in 2018-’19. “He looks awful on the hoof,” one scout said. “He’s just a pear-shaped, bad-body guy. But you put the tape on and he’s a drat good player.” Harris is durable and smart (Wonderlic of 30). His arms were 32 1/8. “He’s fine, he’s a good athlete,” another scout said. “But I hope we play him.” Harris is from Inglewood, Calif. “I love him, but he’s small,” said a third scout. “He super smart, gets to the second level, all that. But it seems like every time he measured in somewhere he lost an inch. I think he’ll play because of who he is. I thought he’d be a second- or third-round pic but with those measurables it’ll scare teams off.”

OTHERS, in order: Keith Ismael, San Diego State; Tyler Biadasz, Wisconsin; Darryl Williams, Mississippi State; Trystan Colon-Castillo, Missouri; Cohl Cabral, Arizona State; Justin Herron, Wake Forest; Jake Hanson, Oregon.

quote:

THE SKINNY
UNSUNG HERO

Trey Adams, T, Washington: The course of his career was altered in October 2017 when he suffered a torn ACL in a non-contact injury. Then he needed season-ending lumbar disc surgery two games into 2018. Adams (6-8, 318) returned to start at LT in ’19 but wasn’t effective and then ran 5.60 at the combine. “He was a sure-fire No. 1 pick in ’17,” said one scout. “After that he was a shadow of himself. Even when he walks now he looks like he’s still limping.”

SCOUTS’ NIGHTMARE

Saahdiq Charles, T, LSU: This is a first-round talent. Charles (6-4, 321, 4.98), a three-year starter at LG, has terrific feet, flexibility and body control. “Nobody ever beats this guy,” said one scout. “…But guys might get scared away from this dude.” Multiple failed drugs for marijuana led to a six-game suspension last season.

SCOUT TO REMEMBER
Joe Woolley: A long, tall Arkansan, he was a successful prep coach in Texas and then a scouting/personnel director for the Oilers, Saints, Eagles and Cardinals for about 20 years. One of Bum Phillips’ favorite people, Woolley worked under him in Houston and New Orleans before going to Philly and Phoenix with Buddy Ryan. In New Orleans, he was responsible for establishing an extensive film library that became a model for the NFL. Never one for a loss for words, Woolley loved to wisecrack at draft time. When asked about Wayne Simmons, the combustible linebacker from Clemson, not long before the 1993 draft, Woolley drawled, “Keep him sober and not beating up bartenders and he’ll be all right. He’s got a little shaky character in him but I’ll tell you what. I’d rather have them f—— that will fight than those that won’t.” Awaiting a heart transplant that never came, he died in 2003 at age 65.

QUOTE TO NOTE
NFL executive in personnel: “Here’s the problem. Those guys at (Louisiana) Lafayette and Temple and Houston and Florida Atlantic, they have never seen an NFL defensive lineman. They never have gone against one in those leagues. They don’t know what one looks like. It’s called level of competition. That’s why I watch SEC film. Even Big Ten guys play against better competition than they do.”

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

By the way, I got a link included with the sub that I can give to five people for free 30 day access. Send me a PM if you want it.

Also, if you want the Brugler guide, send me a PM.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

This thread is gonna be unreadable if you start pasting that poo poo

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Remember when Eli Apple literally couldn't cook pasta and still went as a high 1st?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

kiimo posted:

Only people quote the whole loving thing to say “lol what”

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

This is a year that my team could really use a stud guard but there doesn't appear to be any so I'm hoping for some diamond in the rough fourth rounder.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Tom Sellout posted:

By the way, I got a link included with the sub that I can give to five people for free 30 day access. Send me a PM if you want it.

Also, if you want the Brugler guide, send me a PM.

kiimo posted:

In no way should you listen to this man this threads entire point is for McGinn posts not infinite pages of top 3 QB talk. It's the best, most direct insight into what teams actually think of players. Thank you for the oline stuff I appreciate it and again, please ignore Kiimo.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Welp

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Coachability is definitely a thing. I know this because I was definitely not. You could show me how to do a physical motion associated with sports correctly 999 times, but the very 1st time you stop telling me how to do it I'ma gonna go back to the stupid bad form way that I was doing it beforehand.

This isn't out of arrogance or thinking I know how to do it better. I'm just a muscle memory amnesiac. I think at least one grade school coach drank because of me.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Doltos posted:

In no way should you listen to this man this threads entire point is for McGinn posts not infinite pages of top 3 QB talk. It's the best, most direct insight into what teams actually think of players. Thank you for the oline stuff I appreciate it and again, please ignore Kiimo.

quote:

This is the 36th year Bob McGinn has written an NFL Draft Series. Previously, it appeared in the Green Bay Press-Gazette (1985-91), the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (1992-17) and BobMcGinnFootball.com (2018-19). Through 2014, scouts often were quoted by name. The series reluctantly adopted an all-anonymous format in 2015 at the request of most scouts. This will be a nine-part series, starting with receivers.

So many conversations about this class of wide receivers began with a common refrain.

“This is maybe the deepest wide receiver group,” said one longtime AFC personnel man. “But as far as like a Julio (Jones) or Calvin Johnson, absolutely not.”

Johnson (6-5, 239, 4.35) had it all. When he left Georgia Tech a year early to enter the draft in 2007, he was compared by scouts to Jerry Rice, James Lofton, Randy Moss, Larry Fitzgerald and Keyshawn Johnson. Jones (6-2 ½, 220, 4.39) left Alabama after his junior year and became the sixth overall selection in 2011. People dug deep to come up with comparables for him as well. After nine seasons of superstardom, Johnson walked away from the Detroit Lions whereas Jones’ drive still burns hot after nine years in Atlanta. Their physical gifts led to a consistently unique level of play. Although this certainly rates as the year of the wide receiver, Johnson and Jones have more dominant traits than anyone in the class. Obviously, that doesn’t mean a decade from now there won’t be a player or two who deserves to stand in their company.

The sheer numbers at wide receivers are astounding. “Deepest I’ve ever seen,” said one 20-year scouting veteran. “I like so many of them, and for different reasons.”

One scout counted at least 20 wideouts that “in the right circumstance could actually become a player in this league.” Another said a starter could be uncovered in the fourth round, much like how Washington found Terry McLaurin, its top receiver, in the third round a year ago. “The first 13 or 14 names that we have are all going to play,” an AFC executive said. “There’s some wild cards beyond that. There’s not any game-changers.”

The result, of course, are the NFL’s ever-expanding scouting departments grinding endlessly at tape machines. “It’s the most over-scouted position just because there’s so drat many of them, especially in today’s game,” said one scout. All the attention makes perfect sense given the product that the league office and ownership have promulgated through rules changes favoring scoring. “That’s natural because of the evolution of football,” an executive said in reference to the scrutiny of wide receivers.

As draft boards are made final, we hear about speed, ball skills, explosiveness, run after the catch and other physical traits that are most often weighed to loosen packs of receivers with similar grades. We don’t hear a lot about intelligence, which some scouts have said often separates the haves from the have-nots.

“To me, the hardest transition from college to pro is the wide receiver position,” said an executive. “You have to be smart. Dummies won’t make it.”

The oldest method used by NFL teams to measure intelligence is the 12-minute, 50-question Wonderlic test. Many in the industry understand the test has its limitations. It’s why the continuing usage of matrices testing involving shapes and other non-reading material is thought by some to provide a clearer model of intellect. Yet, the Wonderlic has survived because teams still view it as a valuable tool in the evaluation of pro football players. The average score of the eight wide receivers voted to the Pro Bowl in 2019 was 21.6. The average score of my top 13 wide receivers in this draft is 17.1.

Two of the three lowest scores among the 2019 Pro Bowlers belonged to first-rounders DeAndre Hopkins (17) and Jones (15). Another first-round pick, Mike Evans, scored 25. The other five players, including two second-round choices, two third-round choices and one fifth, possess a wide array of strengths and weaknesses. The common bond, however, could well be their ability to think on their feet and make critical pre- and post-snap adjustments. Tyreek Hill led that group of five with a Wonderlic score of 27, followed by Chris Godwin (26), Jarvis Landry (23), Michael Thomas (21) and Keenan Allen (19).

My polling of 17 executives in personnel took place in the last 2 ½ weeks. Each scout was asked to rank the wide receivers on a 1 to 6 basis, with a first-place vote worth 6 points, a second worth 5 and so on.

CeeDee Lamb, with 87 points and 10 first-place votes, nosed out Jerry Jeudy, who had 86 and five. Following, in order, were Henry Ruggs (66, one), Justin Jefferson (28 ½), Tee Higgins (25 ½, one), Bryan Edwards (13), Brandon Aiyuk (12), Laviska Shenault (11), Jalen Reagor (10), KJ Hamler (4 ½), Denzel Mims (four), Lynn Bowden (three), Quez Watkins (three), Van Jefferson (two), Gabriel Davis (one) and Michael Pittman (one-half).

Then the personnel men were asked who among the top 10 or 12 players had the best chance to bust. Shenault led the way with eight votes followed by Mims with four, Higgins with two and Hamler, Reagor and Ruggs, each one.

“It’d be foolish for a team to sit there (in the teens) and take a wideout,” one scout said. “You can get another wideout in the second or third, a Bryan Edwards, a Michael Pittman, a Lynn Bowden … it’s a real deep pool but it’s shallow at the top. There’s nobody that’s super elite, height-weight-speed freakish Julio, Calvin Johnson.”

Could someone such as Aiyuk, Edwards, even Quez Watkins emerge as the best in the class three years from now?

“Sure,” said an AFC evaluator. “It all depends on where they go, what the system is and who’s coaching them.”

An NFC personnel director summed up the talent pool at tight end thusly: “It’s the shits.”

Before conducting the poll at tight end, the decision was made to classify Chase Claypool, a wide receiver at Notre Dame, as a tight end. This time, votes were asked to rank the tight ends on a 1-2-3-4-5 basis.

Cole Kmet easily won with 78 points and 11 first-place votes. Following, in order, were Adam Trautman (44, one), Claypool (41, two), Harrison Bryant (29, one), Albert Okwuegbunam (22, one), Devin Asiasi (16, one), Hunter Bryant (nine), Brycen Hopkins (six), Thaddeus Moss (five), Colby Parkinson (four) and Dalton Keene (one).

“It’s not a strong group,” one personnel man said, “when you’re more excited to work with a wide receiver projection (Claypool) than guys that played tight end their whole life.”

Tight ends often are divided into Y (play-side base blocker), U (back-side base blocker), F (detached as a receiver) and H (move). The numbers of conventional Y and U players continues to dwindle. As scouts debate whether a tight end has the speed to threaten a two-deep secondary or blocks well enough in-line, intelligence seems to be a very important factor for the position.

“That’s a killer at tight end,” said one scout. “They’re asked to do so much. It’s hard to play with dumb tight ends.”

My top seven tight ends posted an average Wonderlic score of 27.1.

RANKING THE RECEIVERS

(Photo by Carmen Mandato/Getty Images)
WIDE RECEIVERS

1. CEEDEE LAMB, Oklahoma (6-1 ½, 198, 4.48, 1): Compared by one scout to Chad Johnson. “You throw the ball up, he’s coming down with it,” said one scout. “He’s got courage. He has better feet than (Justin) Jefferson. I had no idea he could run as good as he did. He’s a great kid on top of it. He’s a no-brainer.” A third-year junior from Richmond, Texas, he “catches the crap out of the ball,” according to another scout. “Great hands. He runs 4.48, which is way fast enough. He runs really good routes. He can go against press and off.” Finished with 173 receptions for 3,292 yards (19.0 average) and 32 touchdowns. “Just a competitive and strong guy,” said a third scout. “Almost an Anquan Boldin-type of receiver. I don’t think he’s a superstar. Lamb kind of maximizes what he has.” Jumps were pedestrian: vertical (34 ½ inches, 10-foot, 4-inch broad jump). So was the bench press (11 reps). “They scheme him up a lot,” said a fourth scout. “Bubble passes. He comes flying around in motion and catches it. It’s like watching the CFL. If you think you’re just going to line him up as a classic X or Z and he’s going to run a full route tree, no. He’s a work in progress, too.” Scored 12 on the 12-minute, 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test. “He’s wildly overrated,” said a fifth scout. “I don’t see an overwhelming trait. A lot of people point to his run after the catch, but I think you have to evaluate the guys trying to tackle him. He’s playing against some really bad Big 12 defenses. You’re just not going up against NFL people in that league. I’m just not a big believer in his skill set transitioning.”

2. JERRY JEUDY, Alabama (6-1, 193, 4.44, 1): The third-year junior is one scout’s “favorite player to watch in the draft because he’s a very accomplished, precise route runner. You don’t often see that in a draft prospect. He’s very advanced in the route-running.” Backed up in 2017 before starting the past two years. Finished with 159 catches for 2,742 (17.2) and 26 TDs. “He has more of that superstar potential than anyone,” said another scout. “Just a phenomenal route runner. Explosive. Just makes things happen. He had some drops in the LSU game but he came back after that and caught a touchdown and a 2-point conversion. So he’s a competitor and rises up.” Posted a 9 on the Wonderlic. “He was good in the interview with us,” a third scout said. “He really understands football … He’s lived life in the ultimate football playground. Speed merchants on the outside. Point guard at quarterback. 5-star offensive line. Draftable running back. He plays in the slot and was never pressed. He’s got a three-way go every route. If you draft him to be your No. 1 and you put him at X and they have a 6-1 corner rolled up in his face with a safety over the top and a linebacker buzzing from inside, life can be a heck of a lot different. All his game is instincts, getting in and out of breaks. It’ll knock your socks off against Southern Miss and New Mexico State. If you’re set everywhere and you just need a slot guy, he’s like a luxury pick.” From Deerfield Beach, Fla. “I think Calvin Ridley, his former teammate, was a little bit better of a route runner,” a fourth scout said. “He’ll be able to get open. He can really slam on the brakes and lose people. All the physical traits are good, but nothing’s elite.”

3. HENRY RUGGS, Alabama (5-11, 188, 4.24, 1): Ruggs, who’s from Montgomery, Ala., followed a similar career arc as Jeudy, backing up as a freshman and starting two years. “He has a chance to be special because he’s got the rare trait of speed,” said one scout. “But he’s not a one-trick pony. He’s not Ted Ginn, he’s not Darrius Heyward-Bey. He’s not just an outside-the-numbers guy. He’s super athletic (vertical jump of 42), he can run every route. He’s extremely tough. When you talk to the people in Tuscaloosa, he’s the most competitive kid in the program. You want to draft playmakers, and he’s got a chance to be a great playmaker. He’s a significantly better player coming out than Tyreek Hill was.” Finished with 98 catches for 1,716 (17.5) and 24 TDs. “Does that guy turn into Brandin Cooks or Ted Ginn?” said another scout. “Often, when teams try to make (speedsters) into more than they are, they struggle. He may turn into more than that. We’ll see. I don’t see Tyreek Hill.” Third-year junior with a Wonderlic of 20. “If you expect him to come in and be your No. 1 receiver I don’t see that,” said a third scout. “He was really a specialist in their offense where they designed certain plays for him … He is fast, but when people get on him you don’t see the same speed and route running. When he gets the ball, if he has a clear path, he can go. But he’s not a make-you-miss player. I don’t think he’s timid (in traffic). But he’s not a playmaker on the ball so when bodies are around him he doesn’t catch the ball. He’s a space-vertical linear route runner that needs space to catch the ball.”

4. JUSTIN JEFFERSON, LSU (6-1, 202, 4.47, 1-2): Jefferson surprised a segment of the scouting fraternity with his fast 40. “The big thing on him was going to be his speed because he’s such a smooth athlete,” said one scout. “His workout was really good. I don’t think he’ll ever be a Pro Bowl No. 1 guy, but he’s a really good No. 2.” He destroyed Oklahoma in the national semifinals not long before declaring as a third-year junior. “Polished, good hands, does most of his damage from the slot,” another scout said. “Good all-around skill set.” A two-year starter with 165 catches for 2,415 (14.6) and 24 TDs, a third scout says he’s “a solid No. 2, but I don’t see him as a good No. 2,” a third scout said. “I don’t see ultra explosiveness. I don’t see the test numbers. He had a lot of production, but the guys he plays on this level (NFL) will be able to take some of those opportunities away. He can make contested catches. I saw him go through a lot of zone and I saw a lot of clean, free access getting off the line. I want to see him beat more press. I didn’t see that.” Jefferson is from St. Rose, La and scored 19 on the Wonderlic.

“Even going back to his junior year, he only had 33 catches but just grading the flash plays he was better than N’Keal Harry,” one scout said about ASU’s Brandon Aiyuk. (Kevin Abele/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)
5. BRANDON AIYUK, Arizona State (5-11 ½, 205, 4.53): Aiyuk played in junior college for two seasons. He played second fiddle to N’Keal Harry in 2018 before breaking out in ’19. “He’s (5-11½) but he’s got an 80-inch wingspan, which is so disproportionately long for his body, so he’s really a big target for a smaller guy,” one scout said. “He has ranginess to him, yet he’s compact enough where his change of direction is great. He’s really explosive on tape. Even going back to his junior year, he only had 33 catches but just grading the flash plays he was better than N’Keal Harry.” He caught 65 balls as a senior, finishing with 98 for 1,666 (17.0) ands 11 TDs. “The first three or four games this year it was kind of whatever,” said another scout. “Then something clicked and he really turned it on. Their offensive line was horrible, so a lot of his deep routes didn’t really have time to develop because the quarterback (freshman Jayden Daniels) had to get the ball out. He became that quarterback’s best friend. He’s underrated. Early on, he comes in as your No. 1 punt returner and kickoff guy.” He has a Wonderlic score of 23. “Explosive with a 40-inch vert, excellent route runner, quickness,” said a third scout. “You could compare Greg Jennings to him. He’s better than Nelson Agholor.” From Reno, Nev.

6. TEE HIGGINS, Clemson (6-3 ½, 215, 4.58, 1-2): More than one personnel man identified him as having the best hands in the draft. “He’s an outside-only guy,” one scout said. “He’s a contested, 50-50 ball guy with strong hands and a big catching radius. He may need some help getting open, but he can catch it. He’s going to be covered a lot but he’s got the catching radius.” Arms measured a position-best 34 1/8 but hands were a small 9 ¼. “Just worried about the 40 time and his inability to separate,” said another scout. “They match up. He is really good down the field going up and getting the football. But getting off press, which you don’t see a lot at the college level, for a guy that isn’t real twitchy, he’ll have to win with size at the line of scrimmage. I think eventually he’ll be able to do it, but it’s going to be a transition for him.” Caught 135 passes for 2,448 (18.1) and 27 TDs. “Behind Ruggs, he’d be my next pick to bust,” a third scout said. “For a big, athletic kind of guy I don’t think he plays very strong. I don’t think he plays very sudden. And I don’t think he’s very tough. For the type of receiver he has to be, being that big guy making plays over people, I just don’t see that grit and toughness that you need. I wasn’t surprised at all (by the slow 40). He’s a buildup (speed) guy. Lot of that (production) was scheming him.” Wonderlic of 11. From Oak Ridge, Tenn.

7. BRYAN EDWARDS, South Carolina (6-2 ½, 212, no 40, 1-2): A four-year starter from Conway, S.C, “he excited me,” one scout said. “There’s a ceiling on him because I don’t think he’s a dynamic athlete. He’s a 4.5’s kind of guy, like a big, physical banger, a guy who will do dirty work. He can play big slot. It’s not like he’s lightning quick, but he’s fluid enough to be a good enough route runner. He’s a lot like Sterling Sharpe was except he doesn’t have the run after. You probably have to have some other pieces around him, guys that are more dynamic playmakers. But if you have that and you throw him in the mix then he’s interesting. I think he’s a great third-round pick.” His value was diminished by the broken foot he suffered while training in February, a meniscus tear in November, a concussion and sports hernia surgery in 2017. “He’s very physical, which I love about him, but it’s kind of counterproductive for him,” said another scout. “Durability is a big problem. I don’t think people give him credit for how athletic he is. I just think he does a lot of things that really matter for that position. He’s one of my favorite players.” Finished with 234 catches for 3,045 (13.0) and 22 TDs, surpassing ex-Gamecock Sharpe in several statistical categories. “He’s really lost steam because of the injury,” a third scout said. “He’s kind of your old school West Coast (receiver) catching slants, breaking tackles and go. There’s a lot of love for that guy in the league.” Edwards scored 28 on the Wonderlic and ranked second among the top 13 wideouts.

Eight. JALEN REAGOR, TCU (5-10 ½, 206, 4.46, 1-2): The third-year junior posted the best broad jump (11-6) of the top 25 wideouts. “Holy poo poo, he’s exciting,” said one scout. “His speed and run after … we’re looking for explosive playmakers. His punt returns were like holy hell. … His skill set is outstanding.” Finished with 148 catches for 2,248 (15.2) and 22 TDs. “He’s faster and quicker than CeeDee or (Justin) Jefferson,” said a second scout. “He’s tough, he’ll catch in the middle and he takes the ball away from people. But, if the ball’s not coming to him, he doesn’t do much. He doesn’t block. He hardly gets off the line of scrimmage sometimes. He is a talented, talented kid, but his body language and attitude, from film only, is bad. Kind of a reluctant football player. When the ball’s coming to him he’s full-speed.” He posted 13 on the Wonderlic. “He may be the most explosive guy coming out of this draft,” said a third scout. “Quick and aggressive, plays fast, quick hands. Can he be a slot receiver, too? I think he can.” From Waxahachie, Texas. Added a fourth scout: “If I want a jet sweep guy I want Reagor. That (guy) is fast.”

9. DENZEL MIMS, Baylor (6-3, 207, 4.38, 1-2): Among his many achievements at the combine was a position-best 6.66 3-cone. “The 6.6 3-cone is crazy for a guy with that lever system,” said one scout. “He can really go up and make acrobatic plays on the ball. He showed at the Senior Bowl he can beat press coverage and get open at the top of routes. He’s better than Lamb and maybe better than Jeudy. He’s bigger, faster, longer. You’ve got a chance to really hit on Denzel Mims.” Mims was a three-year starter for a Baylor program that has never had a receiver make it big in the NFL. “He’s big, but I see a finesse guy who dropped too many balls in traffic,” a second scout said. “He’s got the height, weight, speed. I’ve seen too many guys with traits like that come in and fail out, and he doesn’t play special teams. I don’t see that kind of dog in him.” A three-year starter, he finished with 186 receptions for 2,925 (15.7) and 28 TDs. “He’s got vertical speed, he does have tracking skills and he understands how to use his size in the red zone,” said a third scout. “He’s an outside receiver. He’s going to need a lot of work on how to run routes. He has tight shoulders. Better high-ball catcher than low-ball catcher. More of a 400-meter guy. He’s got inconsistent hands. He’s going to need work on how to get off press. He’s just got average body control. I got him in the second round.” He’s from Daingerfield, Texas and posted a Wonderlic score of 17.

10. LAVISKA SHENAULT, Colorado (6-0 ½, 227, 4.58, 2-3): Classic boom-or-bust prospect. “Mental and injury,” one scout replied when asked why Shenault was his choice to bust. “He’s always been the best guy on his team. You put him in one position and he’s just going to flounder. He’s head and shoulders in the bust factor above everyone else. I wouldn’t be surprised if he has a big fall.” Played split end for the Buffaloes but also did extensive damage as a ‘wildcat’ quarterback. “Little bit immature but, my God, is he big and powerful,” a second scout said. “His ’18 film was way better than his ’19 film. He’s a power guy, and those guys play.” He’s coming off of core muscle surgery in late February and also has had shoulder and turf toe surgery. “He’s kind of got some Cordarrelle Patterson to him in terms of his role,” a third scout said. “Not as explosive. With that body type, I don’t see A.J. Brown. A.J. made so many contested catches and was so productive for three years. A.J. was a receiver when he came out. This guy is an athlete. He’ll have to make a transition to a receiver, and I think he’s going to have a tough time.” Finished with 149 catches for 1,943 (13.0) and 10 TDs. “He’s not bad, just not a lot of personality,” said a fourth scout. “Kind of low-key.” Wonderlic of 14. Small hands (9). A third-year junior from DeSoto, Texas.

“Van Jefferson is not just some polished kid, an overachiever. He’s got serious juice. He’s got a lot more speed than I thought he had. He can break people off and get open,” one scout says on the Florida WR. Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports
11. VAN JEFFERSON, Florida (6-1 ½, 200, no 40, 2-3): His father, Shawn, has been an NFL wide receivers coach for most of the past 20 years after a 13-year career in which he caught 470 passes for 7,023 (14.9) and 29 TDs. “Arguably he’s the best route runner in the class, and he’s got great hands and he’s mature and his dad is one of the best wide receivers coaches in the league (now with the Jets) and was a good player in his own right,” said one scout. “You knew he’d have some of that stuff just being a coach’s kid. Van is not just some polished kid, an overachiever. He’s got serious juice. He’s got a lot more speed than I thought he had. He can break people off and get open.” Jefferson started 41 of 48 games, finishing with 175 catches for 2,159 (12.3) and 16 TDs. He was unable to work at the combine after doctors discovered a foot fracture that required surgery. “He had a really good game against LSU,” another scout said. “Just kind of thin. Not really a speed guy. He’ll be a good backup. Your worry about Van is this guy is maxed out.” Wonderlic of 12. From Brentwood, Tenn. “Interesting guy,” said a third scout. “Terrible quarterback, terrible offense, but did really well at the Senior Bowl. He’s got size, really good quickness and route savvy. He can separate. He’s going to be a really good pro. He doesn’t have that explosive speed so he’s going to slide. This guy really knows how to play.”

12. MICHAEL PITTMAN, USC (6-4, 223, 4.52, 2-3): His father, Michael, played 11 years as an NFL running back gaining 5,627 yards (4.0 average) and scoring 25 TDs. “Doesn’t get a lot of love because he’s on the West Coast,” said one scout. “But he’s a big-body guy that belongs in the top-10 conversation (at wideout). Tough guy in traffic.” Started 30 of 48 games over four seasons, catching 171 passes for 2,519 (14.7) and 19 TDs. “Same type of guy as Bryan Edwards,” a second scout said. “Makes most of his catches in traffic. Strong after the catch. He surprised me with his speed. He and (Tee) Higgins are basically the same guy. Higgins played with a better team. I remember Pittman’s father in the Super Bowl when he played hard and tough even though the Raiders got beat badly. The son has that type of attitude as well. It’s going to be tough to stop him.” He led the leading wideouts with a Wonderlic of 29 and hails from Woodland Hills, Calif.

13. KJ HAMLER, Penn State (5-8 ½, 178, no 40, 3): Third-year sophomore. “He’s small, but his speed is rare,” said one scout. “He is electric after the catch. He’s a human joystick. He has home-run ability. You’re going to have to scheme him a little bit to get him the ball.” One scout said he had the worst hands in the draft. “He’s like a 50-50 guy,” said a second scout. “He probably has the best chance to bust because he can’t catch. He can stretch the field. He played tough. He went up for balls. The thing that killed me is he can be a return guy, but he just didn’t perform, which is weird. He was just average in every sense of the word.” Finished with 98 catches for 1,658 (16.9) and 13 TDs. “He would run across the formation and he wouldn’t even look and the quarterback is looking at him,” said another scout. “After seeing that three, four, five times, something was up with this kid. He’s a slot receiver. To play outside I think would be ridiculous. He is tiny. Third round.” From Pontiac, Mich, with a Wonderlic of 15.

OTHERS, in order: Lynn Bowden, Kentucky; Quez Watkins, Southern Mississippi; Gabriel Davis, Central Florida; Devin Duvernay, Texas; Isaiah Hodgins, Oregon State; Isaiah Coulter, Rhode Island; James Proche, SMU; Darnell Mooney, Tulane; Collin Johnson, Texas; K.J. Hill, Ohio State; Dezmon Patmon, Washington State; John Hightower, Boise State; Donovan Peoples-Jones, Michigan; Joe Reed, Virginia; Antonio Gandy-Golden, Liberty; Trishton Jackson, Syracuse; Quintez Cephus, Wisconsin; Tyler Johnson, Minnesota.

TIGHT ENDS

“If you want an all-around guy, kind of a Kyle Rudolph-type guy, he’s it,” a scout says of Notre Dame TE Cole Kmet. (Matt Cashore-USA TODAY Sports)
1. COLE KMET, Notre Dame (6-5 ½, 262, 4.68, 1-2): Kmet reminded one scout of ex-Cowboy Jason Witten (6-5 ½, 260, 4.67). “If you want an all-around guy, kind of a Kyle Rudolph-type guy, he’s it,” said another scout. “He’s faster than Kyle, but he doesn’t have the ball skills. He’s had some durability issues. He’s got great intangibles. He can run. He can catch. He doesn’t have an elite trait but you really love the body type and everything about him.” Third-year junior with 60 catches (43 in 2019) for 691 (11.5) and six TDs. “He’s not a talent like Vernon Davis or Evan Engram,” a third scout said. “He’s more of a throwback, classic Y tight end. He’s solid. He won’t fail.” From Lake Barrington, Ill. “I don’t see a great blocker and I don’t see a great receiver,” said a fourth scout. “I see a guy that’s more of a U. I don’t see a great Y. He reminds me a lot of the (Drew) Sample guy that came out last year out of Washington and plays with the Bengals. Some of the workout (numbers) were better than the player he is. I don’t see first round. I think he’s always going to be a solid No. 2 (tight end), maybe a good No. 3.” Wonderlic of 28.

2. CHASE CLAYPOOL, Notre Dame (6-4, 238, 4.44, 1-2): Made 33 starts at WR over four seasons. Some teams are vociferous about him playing outside in the NFL. Others see him as a TE. “I think he’s big enough to be a tight end,” said one scout. “He’s every bit as big as Travis Kelce. He’s faster than Kelce. That’s who I saw.” His combine numbers were the best by a tight end. “I just don’t see the blocker at tight end,” a second scout said. “I don’t see how he holds up. People had the same conversation with Devin Funchess. You’re talking about the Jared Cook’s of the world. That’s just a different body type.” Finished with 150 catches for 2,159 (14.4) and 19 TDs. “The big ones that don’t make it, like Jonathan Baldwin, is because they’ve got a long ways to go because of (lack) of polish,” the second scout continued. “He’s not that far away. He’s fast, aggressive, has good hands. He was a dog on special teams. If you try to make him a multi-cut route runner, it’s going to be a problem. Let him be a big, fast, vertical, take-the-lid-off, contest-catch-winning guy. Mike Evans is a vertical route runner. I’m not calling this kid Mike Evans, but there are some comparable traits.” From Abbotsford, B.C., Claypool is the first Notre Dame signee from Canada since 1994. He posted a Wonderlic score of 27.

3. ADAM TRAUTMAN, Dayton (6-5, 255, 4.78, 2-3): Often compared to TE Adam Shaheen (6-6 ½, 278, 4.81), the Bears’ disappointing second-round pick in 2017 from NCAA Division II Ashland (Ohio), Dayton is a member of the FCS but non-scholarship Pioneer League. “It looked like (NCAA Division III) when I showed up at practice,” said one scout. “Some of the teams they played down south were good. I liked him. He didn’t back down at the Senior Bowl. They (the Flyers) kind of just used him as a pass-catching tight end. He has a big catch radius, soft hands. Needs to work on his lower-body strength and his blocking.” Started 40 of 44 games, catching 178 passes for 2,295 (12.9) and 31 TDs. “He played against little people, but he dominated that level of competition as a receiver and a blocker,” a second scout said. He ran a blazing 3-cone of 6.78. “He’s a poor man’s Cole Kmet,” said a third scout. “He does a lot of things well. He doesn’t do things great. He’s not that fast, not that strong. He’s a good route runner but he’s better laterally than stretching the field.” He scored 27 on the Wonderlic. “If the guy from the Bears (Shaheen) goes in the second, this guy goes in the third,” a fourth scout said. “He’s got a lot of football to learn but he’s got a lot of upside. Good blocker. Works to finish.” Trautman is from Elk Rapids, Mich.

4. HARRISON BRYANT, Florida Atlantic (6-4 ½, 243, 4.73, 3-4): “I have him shadowed across tight end and fullback,” said one scout. “He’s not an old-school thumper where you can run iso with him. With the way it is now, I could see him in a West Coast (offense) almost like San Fran uses their fullback (Kyle Juszczyk). He can line up on the wing, the edge of a formation and run across the formation and you can throw him the ball. He functions enough as a blocker.” Played a flex position under FAU coach Lane Kiffin, surpassing 1,000 yards as a senior. Finished with 148 receptions for 2,137 (14.4) and 16 TDs. His major negative might be an arm length of 30 5/8, shortest at the position. “Not real high on him,” said another scout. “He doesn’t have top size. He has no length. He’s not real strong. The athletic traits are just average.” He posted a Wonderlic of 26 and is from Gray, Ga.

5. ALBERT OKWUEGBUNAM, Missouri (6-5 ½, 258, 4.50, 3-4): A fourth-year junior, one scout said Okwuegbunam is “kind of an enigma to me. Really talented human being in terms of size and athleticism but just doesn’t put it all together. Someone’s going to take him based off potential. If they can get through to the mind to get it out of the body he’ll have a chance. It’s a risk-reward pick that I don’t have interest in. Someone might be silly enough to go second round.” He caught 43 passes from Drew Lock in 2018 but nabbed just 26 in 2019 to finish with 98 for 1,187 (12.1) and 23 TDs. “You’re talking about a 6-6 guy that runs 4.5,” another scout said. “He had a really good junior year. The senior year was off. At least he has dominant traits. You see guys like that go in the third, fourth and fifth rounds and become really good players.” His father emigrated from Nigeria. Okwuegbunam, from Springfield, Ill., posted a Wonderlic of 28 and has the longest arms among tight ends (34 1/8). “He oozes around on routes, lots of drops, timid blocker,” said a third scout. “Non-factor.”

6. DEVIN ASIASI, UCLA (6-3, 257, 4.79, 3-4): He spent one year at Michigan before departing for off-field reasons. He sat out at UCLA in 2017, backed up in ’18 and started in ’19. Almost all of his production (44 catches, 789, 15.2, six TDs) came as a fourth-year junior. “He is a ball-playing Jesse,” said one scout. “You love watching him. He is a competitive kid that will block. He’s tough, he finishes and he’ll go down inside. He’s got good hands, although they didn’t use him much as a receiver. He can run a little bit. He can flex, but he’s not going to challenge the safeties. He is a great utility player to have on your team.” He scored 25 on the Wonderlic and has had weight problems in the past. “He’s one of those dumpy-body looking guys that makes you think he isn’t athletic but he is,” another scout said. “Really good all-around player.” From Shoreview, Calif.

7. HUNTER BRYANT, Washington (6-2, 248, 4.75, 4-5): Personnel men for several teams expressed considerable concern about Bryant, a third-year junior with a long medical history (knee, back, hamstring). He missed time in his first two seasons but started all 12 games in 2019. “He’s a sawed-off, muscled-up dude,” said one scout. “Definitely a receiving tight end. He’s somebody you can move around and kind of take advantage of some mismatches against linebackers. Really good hands. Gives effort in the run game. He does enough. He gets in the way or seals people off. You can put him in the backfield. He’s not going to be that physical root-somebody-out kind of guy when you line him up at fullback. The versatility is what attracts me to him.” Finished with 85 catches for 1,394 (16.4) and five TDs. “I didn’t like him,” said another scout. “Most of these guys will try. He doesn’t even try to block. I don’t think he’s that athletic for being that small. Very inconsistent. Late pick.” He scored 29 on the Wonderlic and is from Issaquah, Wash.

OTHERS, in order: Brycen Hopkins, Purdue; Thaddeus Moss, LSU; Colby Parkinson, Stanford; Dalton Keene, Virginia Tech; Sean McKeon, Michigan; Cheyenne O’Grady, ex-Arkansas; Jared Pinkney, Vanderbilt; Stephen Sullivan, LSU; Charlie Taumoepeau, Portland State; Jacob Breeland, Oregon; Ahmad Wagner, Kentucky; Kyle Markway, South Carolina; Mitchell Wilcox, South Florida.

THE SKINNY
UNSUNG HERO

Isaiah Coulter, WR, Rhode Island: Bidding to become the Rams’ first drafted player since 1986 when T Bob White went in the seventh round to the Jets. Lightly recruited, he improved each of his three seasons before surprisingly declaring a year early. Lean at 6-2, 198, but ran fast (4.42) and is a smooth route runner.

SCOUTS’ NIGHTMARE

Thaddeus Moss, TE, LSU: As the son of Hall of Fame WR Randy Moss, there are advantages and disadvantages. Moss played just one season for the Tigers as the fifth wheel in a wildly explosive offense, so scouts wonder how much of his production (47 receptions, four TDs) was the result of defenses basically ignoring him. Medically excluded at the combine, Moss’ 40 time has been estimated at 4.85 and 4.9. At his size (6-2, 250), that type of speed won’t cut it.

SCOUT TO REMEMBER

C.O. Brocato: Anyone who ever scouted the Southwest knew him and no doubt liked him. For more than 40 years he worked for the Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans, driving from his home in Arlington, Texas to colleges throughout Texas, Arkansas and elsewhere. Not only was Brocato an engaging personality, he also was a pioneer in terms of drills used at the combine and elsewhere. He deserves credit for coming up with the 3-cone run of today that replaced the outmoded four-square run. He died in 2015 at age 85.

QUOTE TO NOTE

NFC personnel executive: “Lamb, Shenault and Aiyuk aren’t your natural, traditional, fluid, route-running receivers. They’re almost Anquan Boldin types, but today people say Deebo Samuel. You get the ball out quick, run after catch, end around, slip screens, that kind of stuff they’re doing so much more now of with receivers.”

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
ty :)

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Gushing about Becton while saying Wirfs should play guard is utter madness.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
The CBS Sports mock draft had that guy Matt Peart going in the second round which really surprised me as I don't think I'd ever heard of him before. They also had CBs Jeff Gladney way up at pick 19 and Noah Igbinoghene at pick 23 as well as Jeremy Chinn at 41. Not sure I buy that, but I do think more cornerbacks will be taken than most think.

Also notable you can tell the opinions vary widely on the top 5 tackles. Seems like different teams are likely to have pretty different evaluations of those guys

Ches Neckbeard posted:

He was claiming that the tape shows Wifs excelling at guard but not tackle. I'm not sure if that's true but he absolutely has the frame and athleticism for tackle, he's like exactly the same size as Andrew Thomas but more athletic

Play fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 16, 2020

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
This draft is so nuts with quality WR talent that Pittman being 12th isn't that much of a snub.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Yea that Becton commentary by the scouts is all wrong. He puts in a ton of effort every play he's just not as quick as people describe him. His lateral quickness is okay but anyone can shuffle to the side. It's beating people off the step when you're working backwards is what makes people tackles and boy howdy is he slow at that. Completely relies on length which will get him absolutely murdered by DEs that know how to take angles. Him moving into LG makes sense, but also does with Wirfs too. Like the blurb said these guys are all underclassmen that really aren't definitive world beaters.

Doltos fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 16, 2020

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Doltos posted:

This draft is so nuts with quality WR talent that Pittman being 12th isn't that much of a snub.

Seemed like they like him a whole lot if you read the actual passage too:

quote:

12. MICHAEL PITTMAN, USC (6-4, 223, 4.52, 2-3): His father, Michael, played 11 years as an NFL running back gaining 5,627 yards (4.0 average) and scoring 25 TDs. “Doesn’t get a lot of love because he’s on the West Coast,” said one scout. “But he’s a big-body guy that belongs in the top-10 conversation (at wideout). Tough guy in traffic.” Started 30 of 48 games over four seasons, catching 171 passes for 2,519 (14.7) and 19 TDs. “Same type of guy as Bryan Edwards,” a second scout said. “Makes most of his catches in traffic. Strong after the catch. He surprised me with his speed. He and (Tee) Higgins are basically the same guy. Higgins played with a better team. I remember Pittman’s father in the Super Bowl when he played hard and tough even though the Raiders got beat badly. The son has that type of attitude as well. It’s going to be tough to stop him.” He led the leading wideouts with a Wonderlic of 29 and hails from Woodland Hills, Calif.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's gonna be so interesting in a few years until look back on this wide receiver draft class. If it lives up to the hype at all there will be 7 or 8 teams at least letter basically defined by some of these wide receivers.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If Chase Claypool is available to the Chiefs in the second or third which seems likely I am going to lose my mind imagining him lined up all over the Chiefs offense while Kelce, Hill, Watkins and Hardman are also doing the same.

He could play like four different types of receiver positions.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Eifert Posting posted:

It's gonna be so interesting in a few years until look back on this wide receiver draft class. If it lives up to the hype at all there will be 7 or 8 teams at least letter basically defined by some of these wide receivers.

Some people have made the point (I think they did in that athletic article as well) that the class is incredibly deep but still doesn't have an absolutely dominant player at the top in the vein of Julio Jones or Calvin Johnson.

The talent is still incredible, but there's no one guy where you can just automatically say: that guy is gonna be a star and a hall of famer. Instead even the prospects at the top have weaknesses that need to be taken into account. The middle section of the WR draft is incredibly strong though, the depth is fantastic.

The reason I like Lamb the best is he just seems like the most natural to me, everything he does looks easy and he just seems to have great control of his body and also great hands. But I'm not fooling myself into thinking he's Julio Jones

kiimo posted:

If Chase Claypool is available to the Chiefs in the second or third which seems likely I am going to lose my mind imagining him lined up all over the Chiefs offense while Kelce, Hill, Watkins and Hardman are also doing the same.

He could play like four different types of receiver positions.

In the Athletic article I'm pretty sure they put Claypool into the tight end group, I guess McGinn likes moving prospects around to where he thinks they should be

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Plus imagine the gifs you could send to your friends after every big play

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I'd be very happy with Pittman in the 2nd round. It's wild to think he could be sitting there in the mid 3rd.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

How many GM's are going to have their Big Boards up in full view directly behind them?

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1249724958617538560?s=20

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I like the compliance note indicating that they don't get a choice in the matter. Who do you think through the biggest shitstorm? Bill is the obvious favorite but I have a sneaky feeling that the giants GM could have taken it.

I look forward to Bill "accidentally" putting a mug in front of the camera.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I should become an IT guy for the miami dolphins

I'd have access to everything...

what the hell am I doing with my life

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ehud posted:

you should no joke try and do that

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ehud posted:

Think about how frustrating your job is already and then think about doing that for the Dolphins organization.

But if you would agree to leak things I support you trying to make this happen.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Ehud posted:

Why haven't you done this?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Why haven't you done this?

He'd have to move to Florida

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Ehud posted:

poo poo, apply. What the's worst that could happen, you don't get it? The best thing would be that you did.....go for it man.

Then we could get discounts on those sweet sweet shirts. :)

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

I want Print the Shirts shirts

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I want Print the Shirts shirts

print the Print the Shirts! shirts

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I guarantee pro sports teams pay for poo poo.

Do it for the leet info though.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
kj hamler and tyler johnson being ranked so low is criminal

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Post running backs tia

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Play posted:

Some people have made the point (I think they did in that athletic article as well) that the class is incredibly deep but still doesn't have an absolutely dominant player at the top in the vein of Julio Jones or Calvin Johnson.

How many classes have a guy like that? One every five or ten years? Meanwhile there is very likely another Mike Thomas or Deandre Hopkins or Antonio Brown or Mike Evans in this class. Maybe even a couple of them.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Post running backs tia

Only OL and WR/TE have been done so far :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

6 days