Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Furnaceface posted:

Endearing/Lovable idiots is the sweet spot so I might start with that.

Have you let the light of Bakarina into your life?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

Endearing/Lovable idiots is the sweet spot so I might start with that.

Ive also had Daily Lives of Highschool Boys on my watch list forever and should really use this opportunity to watch it.

Absolutely watch Nichibros. Also check out Cromartie High School if you haven't before (rare case where I'd recommend a dub).

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Furnaceface posted:

I just rewatched Konosuba and Nichijou and it somehow wasnt enough to scratch the comedy itch so I need some good recommendations for comedy/funny stuff. Dont even care what kind of comedy as long as it delivers on the jokes.

Hozuki's Coolheadedness

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

I just rewatched Konosuba and Nichijou and it somehow wasnt enough to scratch the comedy itch so I need some good recommendations for comedy/funny stuff. Dont even care what kind of comedy as long as it delivers on the jokes.

Cromartie High School
Ultimate Teacher
Koko wa Greenwood
Osomatsu-san Season 1
Charady's Daily Joke

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
I can't find Monster anywhere except bits and pieces of it on youtube. no seeders on the torrents either

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Gintama

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

:hai:

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

thehandtruck posted:

I can't find Monster anywhere except bits and pieces of it on youtube. no seeders on the torrents either
It doesn't look like monster has any legal streaming options. It isn't particularly hard to find though. The CBM release has plenty of seeders on nyaa.

Currently watching Keijo!!!!!!!! It is possible (even likely) that I have terrible taste, but Keijo has made me laugh more than actual comedy anime. The whole premise is just ridiculous, and it takes itself completely seriously.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Tbf monster is a pretty hard name to search on

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wasn't Monster on Hulu, though?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I checked this, which didn't show it as streaming anywhere.
https://because.moe/us?q=monster

Looking at hulu myself, I don't see it.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Lovely Complex

It also has some of the best faces.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah, lovely complex is really drat fun.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

If I enjoyed the first 2 seasons of Pscho pass (mostly the first season), is the 3rd one worth trying? I didn't even realize they made a new one until recently.

Apparently theres a movie trilogy also?

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 24, 2020

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yes. The third season (meaning the 3 "interquel" movies, the actual forty-minutes-long 8 episodes' season and the wrap-up movie that came out like a month ago) is an improvement upon the honest letdown the 2nd season and OG movie were.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wark Say posted:

Yes. The third season (meaning the 3 "interquel" movies, the actual forty-minutes-long 8 episodes' season and the wrap-up movie that came out like a month ago) is an improvement upon the honest letdown the 2nd season and OG movie were.

I thought the OG movie was pretty great, but the second season is just a total trainwreck past the half-way mark when they start trying to get creative and you realize the writers have no idea how the Sybil System actually works.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Cool, I'll add it to the list

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
OP's links are broken. Are there new links or a post to link to?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Herr Tog posted:

OP's links are broken. Are there new links or a post to link to?
Unfortunately the ADTRWiki is no more. Sorry. :(

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

There's a read-only copy on https://adtrw.nulani.net/ - the first two links on the front page are the links in the OP

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Oh poo poo, I also didn't realize there was more Mushi shi after the first 26 episodes. I loving love that show.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah they revived it for a second run like 5 years ago. it's still good

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tales of Woe posted:

yeah they revived it for a second run like 5 years ago. it's still good

I wish it had gotten a dub, just because the original's is so good. It is indeed still very good though.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Does anyone have any recommendations for an anime that does "Music+Mechs save the world"? I tried Listeners and didn't really like the first couple episodes but the concept kicks rear end and I feel certain i've seen gifs or screenshots of dudes playing guitar in a mech or something at some point

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for an anime that does "Music+Mechs save the world"? I tried Listeners and didn't really like the first couple episodes but the concept kicks rear end and I feel certain i've seen gifs or screenshots of dudes playing guitar in a mech or something at some point

I think the one you're thinking of is Macross 7? The whole Macross franchise kind of fits what you're talking about but 7 takes it to the most over-the-top extreme.

Also, it's not quite mecha, but but Symphogear is "music+very-mech-themed magical girls save the world" and a very good time.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Eureka Seven is by the same director as Listeners and shares some concepts with it, though the music stuff is mostly references rather than being a part of the plot.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

I think the one you're thinking of is Macross 7? The whole Macross franchise kind of fits what you're talking about but 7 takes it to the most over-the-top extreme.

Also, it's not quite mecha, but but Symphogear is "music+very-mech-themed magical girls save the world" and a very good time.

Macross 7 looks like exactly what I had in mind.

Also thanks for the heads up on Eureka Seven, not quite what I had in mind but its on my list now.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh man, you're in for a fun ride!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Hope you like 50 episodes of the same two songs.

Watch Macross Frontier instead.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Polsy posted:

There's a read-only copy on https://adtrw.nulani.net/ - the first two links on the front page are the links in the OP

THANK YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

how do you feel about music+inspired by mechs save the world

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Lessail posted:

how do you feel about music+inspired by mechs save the world

im into it

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

GaoGaiGar has a guitar playing robot who does some rad poo poo, although he's not the focus

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nipponophile posted:

Hope you like 50 episodes of the same two songs.

Watch Macross Frontier instead.

Frontier is shorter, but the characters are way less interesting.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yo. Don't really watch that much anime, but I've been rewatching some of my old favorites with the extra time of not commuting every day. And as I'm close to having rewatched all I care to, it's about time to find something new. Help me here.

I tend to go for either wholesome, comedy, satire or mystery genres I think. Some shounen too more rarely. Plot has to go somewhere, characters have to be interesting, and music alone sometimes can save an otherwise mediocre show.

I haven't watched anything new since... 2013? To give you an idea, these are what I consider my favorites from that period:

Mawaru Penguindrum. Utena was my thing in the late 90's, early 00's. This is more of the same, though the former's ending was a mess.

Nozaki-kun. The jokes and characters just stayed with me and they still work.

Barakamon and Usagi Drop. Wholesome. Worked back then when they were new and still work now even though I'm in a very different mindset from back then.

Spice and Wolf. Strong characters, interesting commerce trivia. When I become ultrarich I'll be spending whatever money needed for more seasons.

Mankind has Declined. Sugary satire, unique setting, amazing lead character.

Also, stuff from 20 years ago that's still quality and worth a rewatch and doesn't match with any of the above:

Samurai Champloo. It's clever most of the time and just good fun even if unfocused most of the time. Being an ultra Rurouni Kenshin fan from before that, this blew me away as a far more interesting take on samurai-themed anime.

With that I hope there's enough here to find a recommendation that would be a good fit? Feel free to list either obscure or mainstream stuff (because I probably missed that too). Also, opinions on Mitsuboshi Colors which I saw half an episode of and seemed like my thing?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Nichijou is where you should start, followed by My Roomate is a Cat.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the mitsuboshi anime is decidely low budget, you are better off reading the manga

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Here are some really good series that can easily help you ease back into anime:
  • SSSS.Gridman: You like mechas? No? Well, this will get you into mechas! Fantastic show that's as much about kickass mecha/super sentai fighting as it is about growing up. 12 episodes.
  • Mob Psycho 100: Fantastic series about a boy with incredible psychic powers that realizes that such things are not what might be most important in life. Fantastic animation and the toonami dub is excellent.
  • A Place Further than the Universe: Short, sweet, filled with determined dumbasses. Probably the best "gateway" series you can see with people that don't watch anime.
  • Kyousougiga: Someone here can probably give you the correct watching order for this, but this series right here is a delicious piece of media that'll make parts of you move in ways you didn't expect.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Much appreciated. I'll be starting with Nichijou and A Place Further than the Universe, and then work into checking the remaining of those recommendations.

Tales of Woe posted:

Sarazanmai is ikuhara's newest show and i thought it was good

I'll look into this, too!

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

seconding A Place Further Than the Universe, i know everyone recommends it to people who missed the last few years but it really is an all-timer and it fits your description well

if you like Utena and Penguindrum, Sarazanmai is ikuhara's newest show and i thought it was good