Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/12/asia/china-coronavirus-research-restrictions-intl-hnk/index.html
Hmm :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Tallgeese posted:

That judge is an Obama appointee.

Nowhere did I say anything about that judge in particular? I was responding to the post about “hey a lot of judges have been doing some pretty evil poo poo lately, seems weird.”

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That's a lot of effort to troll but I guess people have a lot more time on their hands now

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Tallgeese posted:

That judge is an Obama appointee.

She wasn't. She was appointed by Massachusetts judges.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Fenarisk posted:

Just open up the gyms and haircut places again for essentials only, that's all I really want.

there are glory holes at haircut places?

this changes everything

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I missed the part where he has plenty of masks but keeps them away from the kids grubbby hands. I’m waiting for your response this nonsense op. Come back before the Burt spurt

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Philthy posted:

She wasn't. She was appointed by Massachusetts judges.

I forgot the word "era." Point stands, seems a bit strange to go on a rant about the Evil Orange for a judge appointed in 2015.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Hazo posted:

Nowhere did I say anything about that judge in particular? I was responding to the post about “hey a lot of judges have been doing some pretty evil poo poo lately, seems weird.”

It's mostly been in NY, Cali and Mass. btw

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Burt Sexual posted:

I missed the part where he has plenty of masks but keeps them away from the kids grubbby hands. I’m waiting for your response this nonsense op. Come back before the Burt spurt

He's trolling (I hope), check his post history.

Obeah
Apr 12, 2013

GO OVER GO OVER GOOVER GOOVER IT'S ALL GOOVY, BABY!

Burt Sexual posted:

The kid's not going to be going out or anything, and we're all (excepting my Uncle currently) wearing them. I'm not even sure if these are made for a kid's head, though I'll admit, I could research that better. Even if they were, he's not trained and I doubt he'd use it properly, so it really wouldn't do much good. We worry about burdening ourselves with wearing these all day to keep him safe.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Obeah posted:

Welp, my fellow gooners, it's finally happened. My goddamn mother's communal house is apparently under some level of pandemic-time scrutiny (though the specific nature of that scrutiny she herself does not seem to know), and as a result, the elders there have been divvying up the kids to send to houses outside of their property. I guess in case there's a CPS issue or something?

So now, mid-apocalypse, I have been saddled with a dumb ten year old with filthy hands and no common sense and apparently no family within the state that isn't currently living at the communal facilities. His first day here he was touching goddamn everything, so I've sat aside four pairs of nitrile gloves for him to use that we rotate day to day. He takes off the old ones when he wakes, we put them into their respective drawer, and we check off and move to the next day's.

https://i.imgur.com/W74CMw9.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/NWv6Kbq.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/3RoaWNp.jpg

Because those religious fanatic nutsos like to keep kids in the dark, I had to explain to him that likely every adult he knows will be dying within the next 2-3 years (whether of the virus itself, starvation, or the impending revolutions and riots), but that we could at least extend every meaningful person's respective lifespans a little bit by following basic loving common sense procedures.

And he's been good at that for the most part, admittedly. He cried a lot the first few days or so, but he seems pretty content to just lay around within the guest room now. He does keep asking about masks. We have two n90 masks that my cousin and I use about the house through most of the day (typical boomer uncle refuses to wear one except for when we send him out for groceries), and a loving gigantic stockpile of them we bought in February. Our mid-day rotationals have been hung up and had a warning sign placed above them so his grubby little mitts know to lay off.

https://i.imgur.com/2omXfIN.jpg

I still hate having a potential contagion in the house, but mom's gonna be cutting a check at the end of the month for us so it's whatever. Uncle has some recurrent cardiac issues, and I love him to pieces, but if he croaks, I'll finally be getting the bedroom with the en suite bathroom, limiting my chances of getting infected or, conversely, infecting the others.

I will say that reading this thread has at least made me happy to know I'm in good company. Stay safe, goons!

Call CPS to get the kid away from a loving cult. Also on yourself because you're clearly not a functioning adult and need someone to take care of you.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tallgeese posted:

He's trolling (I hope), check his post history.

Child abuse, lol!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Burt Sexual posted:

He's the "ffingerblast that little turd" guy. It's a funny posts account.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Wait, does that mean I'm safe if I'm not an adult that kid knows. Phew...

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Obeah posted:

The kid's not going to be going out or anything, and we're all (excepting my Uncle currently) wearing them. I'm not even sure if these are made for a kid's head, though I'll admit, I could research that better. Even if they were, he's not trained and I doubt he'd use it properly, so it really wouldn't do much good. We worry about burdening ourselves with wearing these all day to keep him safe.

And telling him everyone he know is going to die, is good because?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Should have inlined though, lmao at "The Boy x x"

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Burt Sexual posted:

And telling him everyone he know is going to die, is good because?

gotta keep it real out in these streets man

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Tallgeese posted:

I forgot the word "era." Point stands, seems a bit strange to go on a rant about the Evil Orange for a judge appointed in 2015.

Didn’t mean to sound like I was ranting. Just was responding to oh gently caress it was a vikingskull bait post wasn’t it

VikingSkull posted:

It's mostly been in NY, Cali and Mass. btw

Regardless of your anecdotal stories, have you read the articles? The whole point is that they’ve been systematically going into district and lower circuit courts and appointing hardcore conservatives. Pretty sure you can find those in every state.

Anyway this is a derail and I don’t want to upset Burt. Seriously what was the point of the 6:00 presser?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Wait, does that mean I'm safe if I'm not an adult that kid knows. Phew...

If he showed the kid your posts, would he be probated for child abuse or for wishing for goon death?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Hazo posted:

Didn’t mean to sound like I was ranting. Just was responding to oh gently caress it was a vikingskull bait post wasn’t it

Regardless of your anecdotal stories, have you read the articles? The whole point is that they’ve been systematically going into district and lower circuit courts and appointing hardcore conservatives. Pretty sure you can find those in every state.

Anyway this is a derail and I don’t want to upset Burt. Seriously what was the point of the 6:00 presser?

that's fine and I don't dispute that but I'm referring to the ones that are specifically releasing people based on pandemic concerns

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/15/us/florida-inmate-coronavirus-murder.html

that's from yesterday, and one of many, I didn't intend it as a political post

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
I summon Nurgle.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 38 minutes!
Bread Liar
tfw u have a right to feel healthy and also not have universal healthcare

https://twitter.com/mindfulmoon10/status/1250637227744309248?s=21

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Press Briefing Musings while listening:

The plan is a phase in based on state or county at governor's discretion. Pence acknowledged it is really the governor's call on this despite the President insisting it is entirely his call the other day. Trump acknowledged this too though he looked annoyed. Three phases and each should only be entered after 14 days of diminishing positive test results.

The United States is a beautiful puzzle of states. What do you want to bet Trump had a US puzzle as a kid?

Trump is defending protestors as people who are suffering and they are good people. He did point out they really like him so they will listen now and stop.

Everyone who wanted a ventilator got a ventilator. Presumably this is as sure a promise as everyone who wants a test will get a test.

A friend called Trump and four days later he was DEAD! Closest he came to empathy.

The small business loan program was YUGE success! It would work better if the Democrats would just give it more money.

He is whining about governors getting too much credit who did a bad job. Very subtle.

There are countries out there that could NEVER BUILD A VENTILATOR! America is uniquely talented to make these amazingly complicated devices. Presumably everyone elsewhere is deeply stupid. Possibly due to having an incorrect level of melanin.

Fauci mentioned that antibody tests are nearly ready and will help determine how solid the immunity is after having it and acknowledged they do not know how long it will last.

Trump kept stepping in to interrupt the doctors who were asked more adult questions to talk about random things such as in 1917 where something happened, he does not seem to know what it actually was nor did he pay enough attention to get the right year.

Contact tracing will be done once things are mitigated.

Trump insists they have the capacity to do widespread testing to find out how far it spread but it is not necessary. I actually think he did not understand the question.

Governors reportedly lined up to thank Trump for the FEMA response to the tornados. Uh-huh.

Trump was angry that no one told him and other world leaders how bad this was. Dumbass.

We are gonna do infrastructure when this is over. Some of our bridges are bad and need help.

"If we didn't do what we did we were looking at 2.2 million deaths." Trump believes we will keep it under 100k. LOL

"This is a military operation!" "What we have done is incredible." "We have tremendous testing capacity."

Effusive praise of private companies with geniuses doing stuff. Musings on miracle treatments and a very fast vaccine. More going on about how complicated ventilators are and only the federal government could provide those but some governors are whining about stuff they should get themselves.

We could have been doing twice as many tests but it was too expensive to pay technicians to do it. Good to know.

FDA did amazing work doing things that usually take years. Presumably approving experimental medication Trump heard about and tried to poison the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom with.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

don't touch the poop

https://www.reddit.com/r/LockdownSkepticism/

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Obeah posted:

Welp, my fellow gooners, it's finally happened. My goddamn mother's communal house is apparently under some level of pandemic-time scrutiny (though the specific nature of that scrutiny she herself does not seem to know), and as a result, the elders there have been divvying up the kids to send to houses outside of their property. I guess in case there's a CPS issue or something?

So now, mid-apocalypse, I have been saddled with a dumb ten year old with filthy hands and no common sense and apparently no family within the state that isn't currently living at the communal facilities. His first day here he was touching goddamn everything, so I've sat aside four pairs of nitrile gloves for him to use that we rotate day to day. He takes off the old ones when he wakes, we put them into their respective drawer, and we check off and move to the next day's.

https://i.imgur.com/W74CMw9.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/NWv6Kbq.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/3RoaWNp.jpg

Because those religious fanatic nutsos like to keep kids in the dark, I had to explain to him that likely every adult he knows will be dying within the next 2-3 years (whether of the virus itself, starvation, or the impending revolutions and riots), but that we could at least extend every meaningful person's respective lifespans a little bit by following basic loving common sense procedures.

And he's been good at that for the most part, admittedly. He cried a lot the first few days or so, but he seems pretty content to just lay around within the guest room now. He does keep asking about masks. We have two n90 masks that my cousin and I use about the house through most of the day (typical boomer uncle refuses to wear one except for when we send him out for groceries), and a loving gigantic stockpile of them we bought in February. Our mid-day rotationals have been hung up and had a warning sign placed above them so his grubby little mitts know to lay off.

https://i.imgur.com/2omXfIN.jpg

I still hate having a potential contagion in the house, but mom's gonna be cutting a check at the end of the month for us so it's whatever. Uncle has some recurrent cardiac issues, and I love him to pieces, but if he croaks, I'll finally be getting the bedroom with the en suite bathroom, limiting my chances of getting infected or, conversely, infecting the others.

I will say that reading this thread has at least made me happy to know I'm in good company. Stay safe, goons!

poo poo just got wild

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Here’s the plan!

https://www.whitehouse.gov/openingamerica/

Does anyone else think “Opening Up America Again” is a really stupid title?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Goatse America

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

Pick posted:

He's the "ffingerblast that little turd" guy. It's a funny posts account.

uh oh funny posts now Burt will definitely lay down a sixer

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Phase One: motion sickness

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

the thread’s peak has now plateau’d so we get goons nonchalantly bringing up their ex-cult trash fire backgrounds. poo poo owns

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

So for anyone like me who didn’t tune in, apparently the briefing was basically just, here are three phases of criteria your state must meet before moving to the next phase of reopening, mostly regarding hospital capacity, confirmed cases, and test availability. Papa nurg also did a another complete 180 from “I have ultimate authority, not the governors” to “every governor calls their own shots.”

The reopening is not mandatory and most states save the usual suspects are already telling him to gently caress off. Most likely a) someone told him the ultimate authority thing was a bad idea so he needed a way to shift responsibility away to governors; and b) if and when states can’t meet the criteria and remain on lockdown, he can say he tried to reopen the economy but those gosh darn mean governors won’t help just because some of their residents will die.

It’s kind of a brilliant bit of posturing and pivoting, I gotta admit. If the phases opening criteria are actually followed I don’t see how things would change from the current plan of staying locked down for months.

Edit: beat

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Crackin' Open Up America

foghorn
Oct 9, 2006

Haters gunna hate.
Adding some context to the way the government does their cost benefit analysis of you dying drowning in your own mucus versus "number go up".

The latest guidance is that the statistical value of a human life (SVL) is ~$10 million per person. So, you as a human are worth $10 mil in economic benefit and tax revenue.

The way this works is that if you die, but your death allows more than $10 mil in revenue or economic impact, then your death was worthwhile to the economy. On balance, your death was worthwhile to the economy.

So the $2 trillion stimulus that went out? It almost exactly matches up with the ~200k estimated deaths that Trump was talking about. Which is super interesting to me.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

sweet thursday posted:

Phase One: motion sickness
Phase One: Dead Kids

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

herd immunity? exsqueeze me but i might be full of bull but i aint no heffer!!!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lol at the snowflakes itt that refuse to tell children the truth that everyone they know will be dead soon and they'll be living in a lord of the fliesesque hellscape for the remainder of their short and miserable lives.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

foghorn posted:

Adding some context to the way the government does their cost benefit analysis of you dying drowning in your own mucus versus "number go up".

The latest guidance is that the statistical value of a human life (SVL) is ~$10 million per person. So, you as a human are worth $10 mil in economic benefit and tax revenue.

The way this works is that if you die, but your death allows more than $10 mil in revenue or economic impact, then your death was worthwhile to the economy. On balance, your death was worthwhile to the economy.

So the $2 trillion stimulus that went out? It almost exactly matches up with the ~200k estimated deaths that Trump was talking about. Which is super interesting to me.

But he is asking for more money. Uh-oh......

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

bird with big dick posted:

Lol at the snowflakes itt that refuse to tell children the truth that everyone they know will be dead soon and they'll be living in a lord of the fliesesque hellscape for the remainder of their short and miserable lives.

it's like the last 20 minutes of Threads but without the mutant baby

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Bend Over and Open Up Again, America!

BOOUAA!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Obeah posted:

When I was working as a graphic designer for PAWS Inc. (SE Asian Market) in Muncie, Indiana, I got stuck in what I can only describe as a triplex apartment between a group of BSU students and an elderly, mentally handicapped man who would tell us all about how he was the last person in his assistance program to still have a helper monkey. Apparently they've mostly been phased out or something?

Anyway, the kids who lived next to me in the triplex were obsessed with seeing this grandfathered capuchin and seemed to be split 50-50 on believing it even existed. I'd been there six months, the students almost a year, and none of us had seen or heard this thing in person. Kenneth - the old man - would stand on his end of the house and "water the grass", which really just amounted to chain smoking and hosing his corner of the lawn down. Anytime any of us went outside while he was doing this, he'd yell conversation to us. "Esquire (the monkey) turned off the TV during Final Jeopardy last night. I got so mad..." and "I caught Esquire eating out of the trash again. Such a pain in my rear end." It was nonstop during the summer months.

So at the end of August, I was helping Kenneth with some legitimate yard work. He asked me if I wanted to come over for dinner, and even though Esquire did not come up in the invitation at all, he was my first thought. A chance to confirm this creature's existence. I jumped at the opportunity.

So that night, I have the worst meal of my life. Reheated spaghetti eaten out of Tupperware. No conversation. Just the sounds of us eating. Feeling weirdly nauseous and wanting to go home, I asked Kenneth where Esquire was.

"In my bedroom. He was acting up earlier. and I didn't want him bothering you during supper."

I should have accepted this, but I pressed on, saying I was full and just wanted to meet him before going home. At this point, Kenneth stood up, walked to his bedroom, slammed the door shut, and was in there for maybe five minutes or so. I was about to leave when he came out.

"He's about to bedtime out, but you can see him before you leave."

Here's my memory of that encounter, as filtered through my PTSD (semi-serious here - I could get diagnosed for sure):

Sock monkey sitting in a wicker chair next to a bed. Withered Cracker Barrel price tag still hanging off. White areas of the monkey stained with nicotine. A hole cut in between the legs. Kenneth behind me. The sinking feeling as I realize his hard cock (still in pants, though) is pressed against my back. I forget the exact words, but he did ask me to touch Esquire, so I half heartedly petted it and he slapped the back of my head. Whispered to me "F-fingerblast this little turd." That part I remember perfectly. And I did.

I won't dwell on the rest of the encounter. Suffice to say that it was a bad night for me, and finishing out that lease was hell. I don't regret anything but accepting the dinner invitation. Had I not become finger intimate with Esquire, he very well could have stabbed me. He'd been collecting knives since Vietnam. I noticed several pocket knives on a drawer in the bedroom alone. This was a scary dude, and it's hard to blame myself for it. But anyway, I ended up getting let go from my dream job right before the end of the lease, so obviously I didn't stick around for long.

All of this is just a roundabout way of saying that you should really, really be careful around this neighbor of yours. What seems and reads as funny on SA or to your friends can be a life threatening, terrifying experience irl.