Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
There was a similar case in Russia a few years back, where they were able to follow the trail of medical equipment sold for scrap aaaalmost until the end. They recovered the bulk of the dangerous materials, but not after it had already been recycled.
They believe there are I THINK eleven radioactive beerkegs floating around somewhere, along with a bunch of elevator buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Pick posted:

Remember the lady with four boyfriends who were going to raise the baby together?

https://www.jacksonville.com/news/20200325/jacksonville-man-jailed-in-abuse-of-5-week-old-baby

Content warning: extreme child abuse

Looks like the site isn't available in the EU. Any chance someone could post a C/P of the actual article?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

IIRC there was a situation in Mexico where a Cobalt-60 source got all the way into the furnace. It was discovered when US border checks found that a load of steel girders kept pinging their geiger counters.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Comrade Koba posted:

Looks like the site isn't available in the EU. Any chance someone could post a C/P of the actual article?

Article posted:

Ethan Baucom is charged with aggravated child abuse after a 5-week-old girl suffered multiple injuries, police said.

A 22-year-old Westside Jacksonville man told an officer he “needed to tell the truth” on March 17, according to his arrest report.

While much of the report about Ethan Bishop Baucom’s charge of aggravated child abuse has been redacted, one line is not.

“He stated he believed he heard a ‘pop’ during the occurrence,” the officer wrote in the report.

The 5-week-old girl’s grandmother gave more details in a email to The Times-Union, saying the baby suffered a broken leg, arm, ribs and skull fractures.

“I am so distraught that words cannot describe,” the grandmother said. “Oh the horror of all this! I’m so overwhelmed with pain, heartache and sorrow over this.”

She said the baby is expected to recover without any permanent damage.

Baucom remains behind bars on $250,000 bail, according to jail records.

RELATED | Read more Jacksonville-area crime news

The investigation began on March 15 when officers were called to Wolfsons Children’s Hospital about a baby with broken ribs, injuries to her lungs and liver and “multiple brain bleeds,” the arrest report said. The First Coast Child Protection Team’s examination concluded the baby had been physically abused with “a minimum of three attacks.”

On March 17 the baby’s mother called the Florida Department of Children and Families, saying she believed Baucom had possibly injured the child while he was baby-sitting March 12, the report said. She said Baucom told her he had squeezed the child.

Baucom told the responding detective that he was getting frustrated due to his inability to get any sleep while baby-sitting. At some point something happened that was blacked out in the report, and that’s when he said he heard the pop. The the baby briefly ceased crying, then cried harder, he said.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

God drat where were the other four people and why did they not beat his rear end?

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010

Telsa Cola posted:

Ah thank you. While we are on the topic, was there a case where some Russian guys found something (I forget what) while camping that was warm as gently caress so they used it as a heat source for their camp with predictable results or was that a fever dream I had.

Firewood collectors in Georgia
https://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/Publications/PDF/Pub1660web-81061875.pdf

Heads up - there's a number of medical photos in there. Lot's of skin grafts and the things that lead to them.

"At around 18:00, they found two containers — metallic, cylindrical objects — lying on a forest path. Around them, the snow had curiously thawed within a radius of approximately 1 m, and the wet soil was steaming."

"The three individuals warmed themselves during the night using the open fire on one side, sitting and lying around it, and not far from the hot cylindrical objects, which they placed at a distance of up to 1 m behind their backs.
After dinner, they consumed some alcohol (vodka). However, they felt unusually sick after only a small amount (about 100 mL) and could not sleep."

No one went to the hospital or got treatment for radiation until about two weeks later.
Patient 3 - Released from hospital 52 days after exposure.
Patient 2 - Went to local doctor the next day . . . and was treated for alcohol intoxication. Was discharged from hospital 502 days after exposure.
Patient 1 - Died 893 days after exposure.

The sources had been intended to power a radio relay station for a, ultimately cancelled, hydroelectric station. "Of the eight 90Sr radioactive sources, only six have so far been found."

HelleSpud has a new favorite as of 17:16 on Apr 17, 2020

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

luxury handset posted:

agreed that joe is extremely charismatic, with a reminder to some that "charismatic" is not the same as "charming" or "likable"

in a media product, someone who is the central character of a story and is charismatic often ends up drawing sympathy because of the way narrative works in the human mind
A big problem with Tiger King is that they literally use clips in the doc were he's spouting racist poo poo and by their own admission they knew about it and found it disturbing but not disturbing enough to make a weird antihero out of Joe. Like I don't think they intentionally wanted him to look great but in wanting the lady to seem as bad they withheld reeeeally awful things. Joe's direct abuse of his cats and other animals was objectively way worse than the others. I don't see how that helps their so called cause honestly.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm not even going to click. poo poo everywhere sucks enough. I think I'll stick with something upbeat, like murder
FWIW the baby is expected to fully recover. I know that's the detail I'm looking for in stories like that.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

So, all things considered, is diluted across a couple dozen tons of structural steel a decent enough disposal for one of those Cobalt things?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Those dicks at autozone actually encourage you to throw this one into the ocean

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Fly Molo posted:

Extremely cursed name. Ouch-ey. :supaburn:

I always feel guilty that I find that funny. It’s just such a disturbing story that I think my brain just instinctively wants to defuse it.

christmas boots has a new favorite as of 22:49 on Apr 17, 2020

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If it helps at all, I think it's supposed to be pronounced oh-oh-chi. Japanese doubles up vowels like that, but writing a double O as "Oochi" plays even worse with English speakers used to words like "booze" and "goose", so usually when I see "Ou" it's a drawn-out O instead of an Ow.

Phy has a new favorite as of 23:18 on Apr 17, 2020

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Advance warning that this is depressing as all hell: The Devastating Decline of a Brilliant Young Coder.

Fuuuuuck this is disturbing. Thanks for the new phobia!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Phy posted:

If it helps at all, I think it's supposed to be pronounced oh-oh-chi. Japanese doubles up vowels like that, but writing a double O as "Oochi" plays even worse with English speakers used to words like "booze" and "goose", so usually when I see "Ou" it's a drawn-out O instead of an Ow.

The u following the o just extends the sound. It's pronounced ohhchi.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Advance warning that this is depressing as all hell: The Devastating Decline of a Brilliant Young Coder.

as soon as i read the fourth paragraph i ctrl+f'd the article for "frontotemporal dementia," and i was right.

FTD likely runs in my family, it's been terrible to watch it destroy my relatives and their caregivers and some days i fear i'm already suffering from it.

may i be lucky enough to drown of covid-filled lungs before it gets really bad

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

as soon as i read the fourth paragraph i ctrl+f'd the article for "frontotemporal dementia," and i was right.

FTD likely runs in my family, it's been terrible to watch it destroy my relatives and their caregivers and some days i fear i'm already suffering from it.

may i be lucky enough to drown of covid-filled lungs before it gets really bad

gently caress. just gently caress

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Phy posted:

Doesn't matter, people will be furiously scrambling to make that dumb joke every single time the story gets posted on the forums.

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008

Pirate Radar posted:

Similar to that one there's the Samut Prakan accident from Thailand. Tl;dr--a hospital had an old cobalt-60 radiation source it had been using for radiation therapy, but upgraded to a new one. It sold the old unit back to the distributor, but the manufacturer (Siemens) no longer manufactured or supported cobalt-60 radiotherapy units, so... the radiation source ended up in a disused parking lot. This was relatively okay as long as the metal container was still sealed, but somebody saw a big metal thing and figured it was probably worth some money, so they swiped it from the parking lot and sold it for scrap. It found its way to a scrapyard, where the workers decided to cut it into more usable pieces with a blowtorch. By the time anyone figured out what was going on, ten people had received serious doses of radiation. Three ended up dying.

It's insane to me that this description almost EXACTLY matches another incident in Brazil: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goi%C3%A2nia_accident

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008

Nckdictator posted:

That awkward moment when your airline's star pilot takes off without clearance and kills 583 people.

Made even more awkward by the direct reference to promptness, since his overwhelming desire to stick to schedule is what caused him to skip clearance (and the tagline of "...those surprising Dutch" was a poor choice of words in retrospect, they sure surprised the pilots of the other 747 when they barreled out of the fog towards them at takeoff speed).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenerife_airport_disaster

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Hey, I’m the primary caregiver for my best friend who has rapidly-progressing FTD, and can definitely confirm that it’s a heady mix of terrifying, frustrating, and just massively sad. It went undiagnosed for years because doctors would insist it was just stress, or just a mood disorder, despite records of fundamental changes in personality and cognition.

Thanks for missing the diagnosis for years and gaslighting both him and his caregivers, Dept. of Veterans Affairs :coolspot:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

RC and Moon Pie posted:

What really gets me about this one is that his divorce and remarriage happen after he started showing symptoms. This may be my own neurosis showing, but if I were his second wife, I think it would be agonizing not knowing whether the man I'd married was ever really at his full mental capacity during our relationship.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Proteus Jones posted:

Is this true? If so I had no idea they had any kind of effective treatment other than pump full of painkillers and wait for death.

https://twitter.com/greub1/status/1250143131531706370?s=20

Like with everything else, it depends on dose. The IAEA has a series of publications detailing radiological incidents and they go into all the detail you could possibly imagine, and more.

For example, this one:

https://www.iaea.org/publications/4712/the-radiological-accident-at-the-irradiation-facility-in-nesvizh

Trained(!) worker at a medical sterilization facility manages to defeat all the safety interlocks which would have prevented his exposure (including managing to leap over an empty pit, Indiana-Jones style, possibly by using the motor that retracted the cover to the pit as a stepping stone. They're not even sure how he managed to do some of the stuff he had to do) to a 28-petabecquerel cobalt-60 source. His whole-body dose was over 20 grays. Without treatment, that's death in hours or days. His bone marrow was basically gone ("complete cell aplasty"). With extensive treatment, including repeated transfusions and massive doses of hematopoietic growth factors, they managed to keep him alive for 113 days in an antiseptic positive-pressure environment supplied with sterile air, and he finally died of acute respiratory distress.

In contrast, this one:

https://www.iaea.org/publications/6090/the-radiological-accident-in-yanango

The radiological source used to photograph welds in pipes, consisting of 1.4 terabequerels of iridium-192, broke off from the equipment and fell to the ground unnoticed. A welder eventually sees it, puts it in his pants pocket, and goes home. By the time everything was figured out, he wound up with a whole-body does of 1.3 grays, with localized doses of 15 gray to his femur, 10-15 to his femoral artery, 25-30 to his sciatic nerve. With this one, they managed to save his life, but not his leg. NB: The photos in this one are especially horrifying. They kept trying skin grafts to the burned areas but the grafts kept dying because the underlying tissue was so damaged.

GWBBQ posted:

I know I've asked this a couple of times in various threads, but if anyone can find the old Ask/Tell thread by the X-Ray weld inspector, please link it. The story I clearly remember was the tale of a supervisor who picked up what looked like a small spring from a retractable pen and put it in his back pocket, not realizing that it was a Cobalt-60 source, which was only revealed when he mentioned it to one of the technicians. The technician slapped it out of his hand, which suffered severe radiation burns, and its time in his back pocket led to the titular reference to his as "the man whose rear end rotted off."

Pretty sure you're thinking of that second one I linked to up there. When they figured out where the source went they went to the guy's house and said "throw it into the street."

PetraCore posted:

Isn't the problem with radiation toxicity that you're not going to see the effects until your cells start being replaced? Which is why high-replacement parts of the body show impacts way faster.

Essentially radiation damages cells via oxidative stress. It's possible for a particle of ionizing radiation to smack into a cell's DNA and damage it directly, but it's unlikely. What's far more likely is that it smacks into a water molecule in your cell and creates a cascading chain of reactive oxygen species: hydroxyl radicals, superoxides, hydrogen peroxide, and so on. This cascade, especially the H2O2, is what then goes on to break/crosslink/generally gently caress up DNA. For unclear reasons, cells in the process of meiosis are far more vulnerable to oxidative stress then cells that aren't, so the cells that are currently reproducing when you get zapped are the ones that are more likely to die. That means that high-replacement cells, like the mucosal cells in your GI tract, your bone marrow, etc. are the ones that die. It's also why acute exposures cause things like leukemias and lymphomas far more often than they cause muscle or brain cancers; the former cells are dividing constantly and the latter ones hardly at all.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 21:22 on Apr 19, 2020

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

aphid_licker posted:

So, all things considered, is diluted across a couple dozen tons of structural steel a decent enough disposal for one of those Cobalt things?

We actually have large scale data on that!

A bunch of Cobalt-60 got recycled into steel that got used to construct a bunch of buildings in Taiwan, including apartments and schools; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2477708/

Nobody noticed for about nine years.

quote:

An extraordinary incident occurred 22 years ago in Taiwan. Recycled steel, accidentally contaminated with discarded cobalt-60 sources (T1/2 = 5.3 y), was formed into construction steel for more than 180 buildings containing about 1700 apartments, and also public and private schools and small businesses, in Taipei City and nearby counties. About ten thousand people occupied these buildings for 9 to 22 years. While this construction occurred during 1982–84, most of the buildings were completed in 1983.[1, 2] In this preliminary assessment, we consider 1983 to be the first year of the incident. The radioactive state of the buildings was gradually discovered, beginning on July 31, 1992.

The results were less bad than what most would expect;

quote:

Approximately 10,000 people occupied these buildings and received an average radiation dose of 0.4 Sv, unknowingly, during a 9–20 year period. They did not suffer a higher incidence of cancer mortality, as the LNT theory would predict. On the contrary, the incidence of cancer deaths in this population was greatly reduced—to about 3 per cent of the incidence of spontaneous cancer death in the general Taiwan public. In addition, the incidence of congenital malformations was also reduced—to about 7 per cent of the incidence in the general public.

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
https://abcnews.go.com/US/jane-doe-child-case-uncovered-serial-killer-identified/story?id=69648434

A man confesses to murdering his girlfriend, but a detective's questions about the man's abandoned daughter leads to five names, four unidentified bodies, and a string of disappearances the country, as well as the newest development in DNA evidence.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

After having yet another standoff with a raccoon at my apartment building's trash bin, i googled 'are raccoons dangerous' because they've only ever run away from me, and,

i didn't realize merely breathing near raccoon poop could kill you

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

HelleSpud posted:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/jane-doe-child-case-uncovered-serial-killer-identified/story?id=69648434

A man confesses to murdering his girlfriend, but a detective's questions about the man's abandoned daughter leads to five names, four unidentified bodies, and a string of disappearances the country, as well as the newest development in DNA evidence.

I'd read about the Bear Brook and Lisa cases separately over the years but never would have imagined they were related. I think Unsolved Mysteries did something back in the day on Lisa and the couple that tried to adopt her initially.

Yeah, that dude's got plenty more victims around the country.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Killingyouguy! posted:

After having yet another standoff with a raccoon at my apartment building's trash bin, i googled 'are raccoons dangerous' because they've only ever run away from me, and,

i didn't realize merely breathing near raccoon poop could kill you

Yeah also rodent poop if its carrying hanta virus.

This is fun when you are doing cave work.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Telsa Cola posted:

Yeah also rodent poop if its carrying hanta virus.

This is fun when you are doing cave work.

Back in the early 2000's, I went thru a phase of reading quite a bit about urbex stuff because I wanted to try it myself, and I recall the experienced guys warning newbies about using respirators because rat and pigeon poo poo will absolutely gently caress you up.

Which is kinda unnerving, because I grew up the step-daughter of a minister. "How the gently caress is that related?", you might wonder. Because I had free reign to run all over parts of our church, and one time my step-dad took me and a friend all the way up to the bell tower to see the bells. On the way, you got a good view of the area above the sanctuary --- the "attic", so to speak. The place was absolutely littered with pigeon corpses and pigeon poo poo. That was 35 or so years ago, and I still can see it clearly. Just a sea of insulation covered in dead pigeons, and pigeon crap all the way up the steps to the bell tower.

So I wonder how much pigeon poo poo/germs I was huffing every Sunday (and Wednesday youth group meetings, and Vacation Bible School, etc etc) for 18 years. The church was built sometime in the early 1850-60's (you can see where the brick work changes color because the Civil War halted construction for a time), so there was over 125 years of potentially poisonous poop up in that joint.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Back in the early 2000's, I went thru a phase of reading quite a bit about urbex stuff because I wanted to try it myself, and I recall the experienced guys warning newbies about using respirators because rat and pigeon poo poo will absolutely gently caress you up.

Which is kinda unnerving, because I grew up the step-daughter of a minister. "How the gently caress is that related?", you might wonder. Because I had free reign to run all over parts of our church, and one time my step-dad took me and a friend all the way up to the bell tower to see the bells. On the way, you got a good view of the area above the sanctuary --- the "attic", so to speak. The place was absolutely littered with pigeon corpses and pigeon poo poo. That was 35 or so years ago, and I still can see it clearly. Just a sea of insulation covered in dead pigeons, and pigeon crap all the way up the steps to the bell tower.

So I wonder how much pigeon poo poo/germs I was huffing every Sunday (and Wednesday youth group meetings, and Vacation Bible School, etc etc) for 18 years. The church was built sometime in the early 1850-60's (you can see where the brick work changes color because the Civil War halted construction for a time), so there was over 125 years of potentially poisonous poop up in that joint.

Yeaaah its never as fun once you realize how risky it all is. We had two folks gear up in full ppe before basically crawing into this cave that likely had 1000+ years of rodent poo poo built up into it.

We were also going to strap a go pro onto an rc car to make sure we were not going to run into a mountain lion or porcupine but I dunno if we ever ended up doing that.

Cave work is fun.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I used to work as an industrial painter, sand blasting and coating steel pipes and oil tanks and stuff.
One afternoon, a co-worker and I crawled into a pipe and someone hand left their lunch in there.
There were maggots crawling all over, and my co-worker vomited.
Of course, because he had his mask on, there was no place for the puke to go but back into his mouth and face.
Good times.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

JacquelineDempsey posted:

My Gothic Arts and Architecture professor did her thesis on St. Denis and attested to similar amounts of pigeon corpses, to the point where she could--and had to--walk over them like a solid bridge of avian morbidity to reach her destination in the attics.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

For really unnerving. Look at your rap sheet and then look at JacquelineDempsey's. Look upon it and weep at its purity.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Inceltown posted:

For really unnerving. Look at your rap sheet and then look at JacquelineDempsey's. Look upon it and weep at its purity.

Aww to both of you.

EDIT:
I'm gonna be getting a sixer soon, check my rap sheet for a pretty kitty.

The Mighty Moltres has a new favorite as of 03:23 on Apr 23, 2020

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Aww to both of you.

EDIT:
I'm gonna be getting a sixer soon, check my rap sheet for a pretty kitty.

o7

30% of my probes are forgetting to put an image in the cursed thread
30% of my probes are pets
The rest I earned the old fashioned way.

e: taking a kitty 6er to be the first blessing on your rap sheet is awesome and you should feel proud.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Anyway, this isn't a thread for cuteness, it's a thread for poo poo like this:

https://globalnews.ca/news/6855907/nova-scotia-mass-shooting-new-video/

If you haven't already heard, there was a 12-hour shooting spree in Nova Scotia, perpetrated by a 50 something denturist who was apparently well liked and seemingly normal.

He dressed up as a cop and drove in a car that looked like a police cruiser.

He killed 22 people, including a cop, and was shot dead by police.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Inceltown posted:

o7

30% of my probes are forgetting to put an image in the cursed thread

Jesus Christ tell me about it

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I'm very slowly catching up with this thread and this post from a year ago is very timely!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I just listened to the Casefile episode of this and it broke me. This is a horrifying read and what little progress humanity has made thirty years on is damning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Leigh_Leigh

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

teen witch posted:

I just listened to the Casefile episode of this and it broke me. This is a horrifying read and what little progress humanity has made thirty years on is damning.

Oh this is utterly repugnant levels of hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

teen witch posted:

I was thinking of this case the other day and couldn't remember her name. On top of everything else not letting her initial rapist's name out is insane. Don't give a gently caress that he was 15.