Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

We all knew it was gonna be Florida to drag the rest of us down with them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

PhazonLink posted:

mmmmmmm i never actualy had any kids zone type of pizza but surely they cant be worst than Celest.

In my childhood their pizza was awesome. But everyone went on this "Let's see how cheap we can make poo poo" and CEC bottomed out.

I'd have to vote Home Run Inn frozen pizza as the bar to beat. I couldn't eat more than a bite and threw it out, the box tasted better

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Wilbur Swain posted:

Because his followers think social distancing is an outrage.

Trump's followers will follow whatever Trump says.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Stereotype posted:

This is exactly the reason why a low death percentage is worse than a higher one. If 20% of people were dying then you wouldn't have a bunch of arrogant dipshits frothing about how they aren't allowed to go to the mall for a few months

Its less death percentage and more death numbers/people who know someone who died.

Pretty much everrrry single news article I have seen with a chud or whatever having a family member or loved one die from this has gone "We are heartbroken and people need to take this seriously".

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Maybe Trump is a fan of Continuum?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Hairy Marionette posted:

As a man with a similar pattern of balding I can confirm that longer hair brushed forward really does do a good job of hiding the scalp. Especially when you take a shot in profile.

Eh, mine cleared out on the back of my head so i look like I was wearing a kippah far too often. Now it's clearing a path forward.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Xombie posted:

On second read, it sounds like I was trying to say that the advantage is in stretching GOP resources. What I mean is that the swing states are already out of reach and campaigning there won't help Trump. Campaigning for state-level politicians by Trump in states possibly made them perform worse in the past 3 years of elections. I don't really think the campaigns are a factor that will change anything. Really that brings me back to my original point, which is that Trump is so historically disliked by everyone but a death-cult section of the GOP, that there really isn't anything he can do to win this time. If Biden went into a coma on the night before the election people would still show up to vote Trump out, because then they at least get the running mate to replace him.

Trump is certainly a historically unpopular president. But somehow 2018 was not as good of a year for the Democrats as 2010 was for Republicans. There are lots of structural issues to that, some that do impact the presidential race, but we have to consider why Democrats are doing worse with Trump in office than Republicans did under Obama.

Are Democrats failing to leverage Trump to win votes as well as Republicans did for Obama? Is it the nature of the clashing ideologies, making it easy for Republicans to paint anyone as an Obama-liker, while the preferred nuance of the intellectual elite makes it easier for Republicans to distance themselves?

Trump's gallop approval sits 10% below average for US president and 4% below Obama at the same time in office. But he has 90%+ approval rating from Republicans. The Trump administration is both clearly unpopular and still not universally disliked.

When we then consider how those systemic biases (media/disenfranchisement/electoral college) play into the fact that the Republicans are still 90+% on board with Trump (as are 39% on independents) then I just don't share your optimism that Trump Can't Win (Again).

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

https://twitter.com/mateosfo/status/1251278281166356480?s=19

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I was letting the dog out, did I seriously just hear someone say that the virus came from a lab in Wuhan that was funded by Obama?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Medullah posted:

I was letting the dog out, did I seriously just hear someone say that the virus came from a lab in Wuhan that was funded by Obama?

That’s a new one to me.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Trabisnikof posted:

Trump is certainly a historically unpopular president. But somehow 2018 was not as good of a year for the Democrats as 2010 was for Republicans. There are lots of structural issues to that, some that do impact the presidential race, but we have to consider why Democrats are doing worse with Trump in office than Republicans did under Obama.

Are Democrats failing to leverage Trump to win votes as well as Republicans did for Obama? Is it the nature of the clashing ideologies, making it easy for Republicans to paint anyone as an Obama-liker, while the preferred nuance of the intellectual elite makes it easier for Republicans to distance themselves?

Trump's gallop approval sits 10% below average for US president and 4% below Obama at the same time in office. But he has 90%+ approval rating from Republicans. The Trump administration is both clearly unpopular and still not universally disliked.

When we then consider how those systemic biases (media/disenfranchisement/electoral college) play into the fact that the Republicans are still 90+% on board with Trump (as are 39% on independents) then I just don't share your optimism that Trump Can't Win (Again).
There's a lot of evidence that those Obama to Trump voters that the party lost in 2016 didn't come back at all, and that the 2018 wins were the result of suburban Republicans turning against the party. My big issue is that they are not a reliable voting block, and even if the Dems win in 2020 I don't think it will be a landslide, and they will get creamed in 2022 when the GOP base turns out.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Stereotype posted:

This is exactly the reason why a low death percentage is worse than a higher one. If 20% of people were dying then you wouldn't have a bunch of arrogant dipshits frothing about how they aren't allowed to go to the mall for a few months

Yes you would. This is a Trump rally underneath.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
At 20% death rate you would still have protests and rallies or whatever but it would be like that Bors comic but instead it would be "Huh, I wonder why these rallies keep getting smaller".

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Hell, take a look at India. They can see sky now

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Medullah posted:

People having been saying that poo poo for months since it first appeared in Wuhan. It's BS but that doesn't stop it from being repeated.

Now Fox is repeating it.

https://youtu.be/RDrfE9I8_hs

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Stereotype posted:

let me tell you about holocaust deniers and Sandy Hook fauxers.....

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

People having been saying that poo poo for months since it first appeared in Wuhan. It's BS but that doesn't stop it from being repeated.

Now Fox is repeating it.

https://youtu.be/RDrfE9I8_hs

Yeah I've heard it on the internet but not in a press conference. I can only assume it was OANN

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Doctor Teeth posted:

That's true; you absolutely would still have boomers foaming at the mouth wanting to go to Lowe's/Cheesecake Factory.

The Cheesecake Factory in Waikiki was absolutely packed the night before the shelter in place order went into effect. The cops had to physically arrest a drunk tourist who wouldn't get off the beach lol.

Telsa Cola posted:

Its less death percentage and more death numbers/people who know someone who died.

Pretty much everrrry single news article I have seen with a chud or whatever having a family member or loved one die from this has gone "We are heartbroken and people need to take this seriously".

It's that woman with an illegal immigrant husband who voted for Trump weeping in front of the news cameras that she didn't think they'd go after her husband.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Stereotype posted:

On the other hand, we're only stuck with Trump and not Randall Flagg just yet

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
One thing I wasn't really ready for under Trump was seeing batshit conspiracy theories that I'd normally only find in the dark corners of the Internet rise up into regular-rear end media. That old chart showing how right-wing rags like Breitbart tested Republican ideas for Fox News needs to be updated to include Alex Jones and QAnon Twitter.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I'm balding as well. Within 5-6 years I'll probably be rocking a horseshoe. I just have a short buzz. Less maintenance that way too.

FYI Propecia is now generic. Costs $9 a month. I would have been bald at 20 if not for modern chemistry.

I'm now developing a bald spot over 10 years later but went from balding at 18 to normal head of hair at 19.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Rip Testes posted:

Trump's followers will follow whatever Trump says.

Trump's followers follow him because he says things they want to hear.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

There's a lot of evidence that those Obama to Trump voters that the party lost in 2016 didn't come back at all, and that the 2018 wins were the result of suburban Republicans turning against the party. My big issue is that they are not a reliable voting block, and even if the Dems win in 2020 I don't think it will be a landslide, and they will get creamed in 2022 when the GOP base turns out.

The Obama to Trump voters were mostly lifelong Republicans temporarily embarrassed by Bush. The party didn't lose them in 2016: the party saw them come home.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

One thing I wasn't really ready for under Trump was seeing batshit conspiracy theories that I'd normally only find in the dark corners of the Internet rise up into regular-rear end media. That old chart showing how right-wing rags like Breitbart tested Republican ideas for Fox News needs to be updated to include Alex Jones and QAnon Twitter.

Part of the problem is when they "won", things got worse even for them. But that's not supposed to happen. When your team wins everything is supposed to get awesome. So they're open to any explanation for why it isn't their fault their lives suck harder. Kind of a more desperate and extreme version of the Obama voters that bitched a few months later because the Economy and jobs weren't amazing

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Eminai posted:

Trump's loss is inevitable. Also, I must berate anyone that votes Green because they're going to give us four more years of Trump.

I do not know how anyone can remember 2016, and look upon the past 3 and a half years, and actually call his loss "inevitable". He was the candidate that Dems mired themselves in hubris over, thinking it was impossible that he'd win.

He can absolutely win again, unless some sort of switch flips in Biden's empty cranial cavity that makes him sound intelligent and attractive to voters. Because as it is, I'm not convinced he's able to do it, regardless of what polls say.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Framboise posted:

I do not know how anyone can remember 2016, and look upon the past 3 and a half years, and actually call his loss "inevitable". He was the candidate that Dems mired themselves in hubris over, thinking it was impossible that he'd win.

He can absolutely win again, unless some sort of switch flips in Biden's empty cranial cavity that makes him sound intelligent and attractive to voters. Because as it is, I'm not convinced he's able to do it, regardless of what polls say.

id say the various election wins post 2016 give me a decent amount of hope. plus no real "rally around the flag" moment for trump and his continuing massive gently caress ups and the bodies pile up. i wouldnt say his loss is inevitable but its clear people want the "everything gonna be ok/better" safe candidate stuff over some screaming rear end in a top hat who is letting them die or loving them over worse.

https://twitter.com/jamiedupree/status/1251294368021037068

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Framboise posted:

He could win again, but everything that has happened since 2016 makes me think he won't. Biden is still the favorite right now. Trump is botching a pandemic badly and the economy collapsed. The economy was the only thing he could point to as a success. Also, Hillary narrowly lost and Biden won't have to deal with sexism. The sexism factor alone probably swings it Biden's way. Nobody should get complacent that he will win. I just think it will be harder for Trump, his greatest strengths last time were he was an unknown(politically, meaning people thought he might be moderate) and he isn't running against someone that was being attacked by the press as early as her college graduation.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Framboise posted:

Because the people who thought he couldn't win last time don't think that anymore

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

theflyingorc posted:

Because the people who thought he couldn't win last time don't think that anymore

yeah. like i think trump can win but if he does its gonna be a narrow EC win will probably lose the house more as well as possibly the senate.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. like i think trump can win but if he does its gonna be a narrow EC win will probably lose the house more as well as possibly the senate.

He's not gonna lose the Senate and win the presidency. Too many of the states we need Senate wins in are swing States (North Carolina and Arizona)

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1250693123082080256?s=20
Hero Musk.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Stereotype posted:

The Cheesecake Factory in Waikiki was absolutely packed the night before the shelter in place order went into effect. The cops had to physically arrest a drunk tourist who wouldn't get off the beach lol.

It's that woman with an illegal immigrant husband who voted for Trump weeping in front of the news cameras that she didn't think they'd go after her husband.

If I recall she also said she would vote for him again

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

theflyingorc posted:

He's not gonna lose the Senate and win the presidency. Too many of the states we need Senate wins in are swing States (North Carolina and Arizona)

well than i will take the most stupidly hopeful choice and guess biden will win and take the senate.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Pick posted:

If I recall she also said she would vote for him again

Why does that not remotely surprise me?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

i think it partially depends on VP choice and such. i think the suburbs and such loving hate trump and will vote him BUT it depends on what directions the GOP goes with post trump. like will they just double down with the dumb insane trump type poo poo. because that won't fly outside red areas. their smartest move would be to try to run with the kasich types and drop all social bigot bullshit and such. but i doubt they will do that.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

A) The loving DME home CPAP machines he donated aren’t even what they use in the hospital
B) BiPAP is not being used because of aerosolization. PEEP is controlled during ventilation so you can put intubated patients on Bilevel support with a viral filter in place.

As usual, Musk pretends to be a loving expert at everything and is Dunning-Kruger personified.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think it partially depends on VP choice and such. i think the suburbs and such loving hate trump and will vote him BUT it depends on what directions the GOP goes with post trump. like will they just double down with the dumb insane trump type poo poo. because that won't fly outside red areas. their smartest move would be to try to run with the kasich types and drop all social bigot bullshit and such. but i doubt they will do that.

The racists and bigots are the GOP base

They really have nowhere to go. Trump has poisoned their moderate well for at least the next 8 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Didn’t Elon accuse a diver that rescued trapped children in a cave a pedophile?