Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

molestrios posted:

There was more below about them making us use all of our PTO up by June 30th, I just didn't find it necessary to post haha. I have zero idea why they're doing it. Just that first sentence was so smug I was taken aback slightly

You're not sure why you got an email asking everyone to use up all their PTO by a certain date, huh?
Not even a guess why your organization might want everyone to be at 0 PTO on date that ends a financial quarter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

Seems like health checks should be permissible? Ask everyone in each vehicle if they've had certain symptoms in the last two weeks, and a no-contact temperature scan. Anyone who gets the quiz wrong or has a fever goes to the second level health screening for a covid test. Anyone who tests positive gets quarantined. None of those steps are particularly tyrannical or above normal public health mandates. Forcing everyone who travels from one state to another to self-quarantine would be too much, but once someone tests positive they are at the mercy of the local health authority.

Of course this would require tests to exist. LOL.

Cool so optimistically that could catch half of infectious carriers and I guess the other half just continues spreading the virus?

VikingSkull posted:

My personal feeling is if we open up now we're gonna kill people and if we wait much longer to open up we're gonna put a ton of people out of work and if we wait too long people are gonna burn cities to the ground.

Take your pick as to which one I secretly prefer based on how you want to paint me as a poster, I guess.

The number of people who are going to be killed by quarantine pales in comparison to the number of people who are going to be killed if we end quarantine early. We're talking several orders of magnitude here, and that's just a fact. So obviously "lives lost" isn't really a metric being considered by people who want to end quarantine early

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

QuarkJets posted:

I saw an old man at the grocery store wearing his mask like that, with the bottom strap just dangling
A lot of people are, I think they think it makes them look cool and casual

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

molestrios posted:

I just got an e-mail about a revised PTO policy and this first sentence makes me so mad lol

the benefits litmus test of "does your employer think comparing what they offer to the legally mandated minimum is good optics".

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Anne Whateley posted:

A lot of people are, I think they think it makes them look cool and casual

Like wearing your backpack with only one strap in middle school.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

dudeness posted:

Like wearing your backpack with only one strap in middle school.

I used to do that until my back started hurting

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

QuarkJets posted:

I saw an old man at the grocery store wearing his mask like that, with the bottom strap just dangling

More than half of the olds I've seen are wearing them like that and you know what? I don't even give a gently caress. They want the rona they can have the rona.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I said come in! posted:

I never noticed until the other day that you avatar seriously does have a big dick.

It didn’t used to it had a regular Dick and then someone added the big dick and bought me the new av also someone else bought me the medium dicked av to begin with thanks to both of these people

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

The Modern Leper posted:

They could do this, but it would destroy the Supreme Court as a legitimate branch of government.

drat how are you posting from the year 2000?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

QuarkJets posted:

The number of people who are going to be killed by quarantine pales in comparison to the number of people who are going to be killed if we end quarantine early. We're talking several orders of magnitude here, and that's just a fact. So obviously "lives lost" isn't really a metric being considered by people who want to end quarantine early

Are we talking just the US, or globally? If just the US, then sure, I agree.

Globally, ehhhhhh...... this could spark pretty brutal civil unrest in parts of the world dealing with climate change and unstable governments.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

VikingSkull posted:

Globally, ehhhhhh...... this could spark pretty brutal civil unrest in parts of the world dealing with climate change and unstable governments.

you need way more than brutal civil unrest to kill the 6, 7 figures that quarantine fuckerys gonna kill

we are too used to disasters doing their main damage by side effects because we've attacked their main direct effect. direct effect from this one is going to fill up mass graves everywhere. it wont be the side things or whatever, it will be the virus itself killing peeps directly

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

VikingSkull posted:

It's the opposite in some of those places. People are Iraq are voluntarily locking themselves inside because they're scared shitless. Nobody is going to Friday prayer. Baghdad is deserted.

I'm not so sure rich countries are gonna do any better than poor countries with this one. Sweden and America sure seem to be suggesting that.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
i just reread The Sheep Look Up and boy howdy did we know this kinda poo poo was coming for decades

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Facebook Aunt posted:

I read it as 2-3% of overall mortality, not population. Like if 100,000 americans will die with schools closed, 103,000 americans would die with schools open.

So in the best case he's merely proposing that 3,000 people should die so the kids can get their school lunches. And those 3,000 will probably be people the kids know. Nana died for taco tuesday.

I appreciate poor starving kids being a joke to you, but you do realize there are literally millions of kids that would have 1 or 0 meals a day if it weren't for the free school breakfast and/or lunch?

Hell, I'd also wager there will be a lot more than 30,000 kids that are assaulted by their parents that wouldn't otherwise be this year.

Is millions of poor kids being fed and tens of thousands avoiding abuse worth 2,900 olds? maybe.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Celexi posted:

I used to do that until my back started hurting

Like the peacock showing off for potential mates by expending energy on useless feathers, middle schoolers attract each other by wearing a backpack on one strap to show that their backs are strong enough.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
lol, about those Cali numbers...

quote:

(CNN)Far more people may have been infected with Covid-19 than have been confirmed by health officials in Santa Clara County, California, according to a study released Friday in preprint. The study used an antibody blood test to estimate how many people had been infected with Covid-19 in the past. Other tests, like those performed with nasal swabs or saliva, test for the virus' genetic material, which does not persist long after recovery, as antibodies do.

"We found that there are many, many unidentified cases of people having Covid infection that were never identified with it with a virus test," said Dr. Jay Bhattacharya, a professor of medicine at Stanford University and one of the paper's authors. "It's consistent with findings from around the world that this disease, this epidemic is further along than we thought."

The study estimated that 2.49% to 4.16% of people in Santa Clara Country had been infected with Covid-19 by April 1. This represents between 48,000 and 81,000 people, which is 50 to 85 times what county officials recorded by that date: 956 confirmed cases.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/17/health/santa-clara-coronavirus-infections-study/index.html

pop punk
Jun 26, 2018

:420::420::420:

I have kept my mouth shut about it because I am not a scientist, and don't like speculating in public. But my assumption has been that this is WILDLY more contagious than anyone is guessing and there are massively larger amounts of asymptomatic people than we know because they wouldn't subject themselves to rare and uncomfortable tests for no reason. Even typing this feels uncomfortable because as I said, I am not a doctor or someone who knows anything about anything.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

pop punk posted:

I have kept my mouth shut about it because I am not a scientist, and don't like speculating in public. But my assumption has been that this is WILDLY more contagious than anyone is guessing and there are massively larger amounts of asymptomatic people than we know because they wouldn't subject themselves to rare and uncomfortable tests for no reason. Even typing this feels uncomfortable because as I said, I am not a doctor or someone who knows anything about anything.

This is really what the whole thing hinges on, and there is increasing evidence in both directions lately it sounds like which lmao 2020 is great

pop punk
Jun 26, 2018

shovelbum posted:

This is really what the whole thing hinges on, and there is increasing evidence in both directions lately it sounds like which lmao 2020 is great

My secret desire is that people will develop antibodies and that the burn through our population is already much further through that we expect. Once again, I know nothing about antibodies or anything.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

pop punk posted:

there are massively larger amounts of asymptomatic people than we know because they wouldn't subject themselves to rare and uncomfortable tests for no reason

its not that they "wouldn't subject themselves" but that it literally is not an option.

in my city you have to have symptoms and an underlying condition to get tested, and that's new, a couple weeks ago only severe cases were being tested

pop punk
Jun 26, 2018

Earwicker posted:

its not that they "wouldn't subject themselves" but that it literally is not an option.

in my city you have to have symptoms and an underlying condition to get tested, and that's new, a couple weeks ago only severe cases were being tested

That's what the word rare was in there for. Sorry I wasn't more clear!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
In CA, I know several people who had symptoms and were told not to come in to get tested because they hadn't been to China. I'm glad they were smart enough to stay home, or else my whole office would have had it

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

pop punk posted:

This is actually good and bad, bad because we literally can't stop it but good because it means it's waaaaay less deadly than we presume.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Whoa whoa whoa, wait a loving second. Am I missing something, or did Haiti, which typically serves as an unfortunate magnet for every natural disaster known to man, somehow come out relatively unscathed so far? I mean I don't wanna jinx it, but if so good for them, they deserve a break.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, wait a loving second. Am I missing something, or did Haiti, which typically serves as an unfortunate magnet for every natural disaster known to man, somehow come out relatively unscathed so far? I mean I don't wanna jinx it, but if so good for them, they deserve a break.

Pretty much every developing country is "unscathed", but that may well be a lack of data.

pop punk
Jun 26, 2018

VikingSkull posted:

This is actually good and bad, bad because we literally can't stop it but good because it means it's waaaaay less deadly than we presume.

Once again. I am assuming and everyone else should assume and behave as if I am wrong. I have only left my house three times since March. Nobody should be loving around on this one.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

pop punk posted:

Once again. I am assuming and everyone else should assume and behave as if I am wrong. I have only left my house three times since March. Nobody should be loving around on this one.

I'm an "essential worker" and I have to go out every day just about :shrug:

pop punk
Jun 26, 2018

VikingSkull posted:

I'm an "essential worker" and I have to go out every day just about :shrug:

Well, I am staying inside for you. I am kind of a hero.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Zero VGS posted:

they're young

it's the boomerkiller

e: fewer than 10 peeps under the age of 15 have died so far this entire pandemic. every last one severely immunocompromised

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Zero VGS posted:

As well as maybe lacking testing, they have 4.5% over-65s vs 18% in the UK.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

What is scary is that there is the fact that there is a risk that the antibodies that fight the roni are not permanent. South Korea saw a reinfection of 20% of a sample of 147 previously infected people. Now some think it might be something like they weren't truly cured or issue with the testing.

pop punk
Jun 26, 2018

Bleusilences posted:

What is scary is that there is the fact that there is a risk that the antibodies that fight the roni are not permanent. South Korea saw a reinfection of 20% of a sample of 147.

Wait on the science. Could be false positives, could be a million things. The tests we have seem to be basically terrible.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

pop punk posted:

Wait on the science. Could be false positives, could be a million things. The tests we have seem to be basically terrible.

True, but that one of the thing that worries me about the roni.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Today Dr. Fauci made it very clear that we can ASSUME people can't get infected again, but... we don't know.

pop punk
Jun 26, 2018

I think we should assume you can build an immunity. If not, we CAN still do this.

We made it through the cold war, and other stuff that seemed overwhelming at the time. This really sucks, but we will come out the other side of this, and hopefully this will wake a lot of people up on a lot of political things and life stuff.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

It’s real weird how chuds all of a sudden care a whole lot about the nutrition of the poor when it becomes linked to the DJIA.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

If only there was something in the middle of this horrible dichotomy.
Some sort of safety net so that people might fare well when exposed to short-term financial distress?

Oh well just posting my wild dreams I guess.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 23, 2021

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

bird with big dick posted:

It’s real weird how chuds all of a sudden care a whole lot about the nutrition of the poor when it becomes linked to the DJIA.

is this like LIGMA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Bleusilences posted:

What is scary is that there is the fact that there is a risk that the antibodies that fight the roni are not permanent. South Korea saw a reinfection of 20% of a sample of 147 previously infected people. Now some think it might be something like they weren't truly cured or issue with the testing.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Today Dr. Fauci made it very clear that we can ASSUME people can't get infected again, but... we don't know.
There's one detail missing here: Just as you can be asymptomatic for a while before symptoms show, but dangerous, you can also be infected for weeks AFTER the symptoms are gone, and dangerous. And with tests not being perfect, that can be easily missed.

sincx posted:

It's possible.

Hell, all this became public by the end of December. I was personally warning people about this on the forums back then. No one took it seriously at the time.

drat, i hella appreciate that extended timeframe. Was the bunny suits on a plane photo christmas then?