Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Aeka 2.0 posted:

You know, that was the first time I've done that. I could give a poo poo about a party, but covid times are bad times.

What, called the cops? Doubt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Cup Runneth Over posted:

On a party, yes. I'm a loud gently caress myself so I let other loud people be loud.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You really think people should be having parties during Covid? What a loving dumb idea.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

gently caress SNEEP posted:

You really think people should be having parties during Covid? What a loving dumb idea.

Of course not, way to strawman. I think you shouldn't be calling the cops on people during Covid (or ever). That's a dumb loving idea.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Nah if you hear someone getting raped or murdered you should definitely call the cops (assuming they're not the ones doing it at the time)

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

FCKGW posted:

Midwest states just formed a coalition as well

https://twitter.com/humford/status/1250891629185155075?s=21

Wow! Igor Panarin was right all along.

I think we are required to pledge fealty to China now.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Gavbot is doing ok because he's just doing the most basic leadership from around the 1950s. This is how political governing is supposed to work. They do poo poo for you, try to solve actual problems and improve people's lives, and then you vote for them. But because Dems in particular have done very little for anyone for 40 years, they have reduced it to "which form of tokenism do you prefer?"

Even got a few hard-right family members praising Gavbot on Facebook. Just because he's actually proposing real concrete sensible things.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
We must radicalize gavbot

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Pomp posted:

As a guy who grew up in SoCal, then moved to Idaho, then moved to Michigan, and now back in Socal, I haven't paid attention to California politics in a few years, but it seems like Gavin is... fine?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Gavbot is doing ok because he's just doing the most basic leadership from around the 1950s. This is how political governing is supposed to work. They do poo poo for you, try to solve actual problems and improve people's lives, and then you vote for them. But because Dems in particular have done very little for anyone for 40 years, they have reduced it to "which form of tokenism do you prefer?"

Even got a few hard-right family members praising Gavbot on Facebook. Just because he's actually proposing real concrete sensible things.

I had this realization chatting with friends online a couple days ago. There's an actual mildly progressive liberal base in California, and GavBot wants to do the things they like so that they keep electing and supporting him. We're just so used to neoliberal disciplinarian politics from the Democrats (scolding their base about "unrealistic" political desires) that we forgot that sometimes politicians can choose to do what voters want, because that's a path to political power.

Pomp posted:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Nah if you hear someone getting raped or murdered you should definitely call the cops (assuming they're not the ones doing it at the time)

drat, rape and murder houseparty? That's rough

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

ratbert90 posted:

As a guy who grew up in SoCal, then moved to Idaho, then moved to Michigan, and now back in Socal, I haven't paid attention to California politics in a few years, but it seems like Gavin is... fine?

I would say one of the best things Gavin could be pushed to do is to enact single payer in California. There is a state commission investigating new potential healthcare systems for California. As they say in their website:

Healthy California for All Commission posted:

The Healthy California for All Commission will work to develop a plan for advancing progress toward achieving a health care delivery system for California that provides coverage and access through a unified financing system, including, but not limited to a single payer financing system. The Commission will prepare an initial report to the Governor and Legislature by July 2020 with a final report in February 2021.

But kind of ominously the commission is not required to propose a single payer system. They could propose a mediocre (albeit better than the current system) public option.

With the general election being between Biden and Trump, single payer is off the table. It would be good for California to demonstrate that single payer works to challenge all these milquetoast Dems asking "wEll HOw dO yOu pAY foR it?"

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
It can be argued that public healthcare will be best done through state action, and gently caress the feds altogether:

https://youtu.be/U1TaL7OhveM

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

lol remember when we had a single payer bill killed in committee despite Dem supermajorities in both houses of the state legislature? Good times.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

the problem with state level single payer is that state budgets can't be as counter-cyclical as the feds, since the state can't print it's own money

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

bawfuls posted:

the problem with state level single payer is that state budgets can't be as counter-cyclical as the feds, since the state can't print it's own money

yep.

and California is far more susceptible to wild fluctuations in its income than most states. The stupidity that is Prop 13 means that the state's income from property tax is extremely depressed, and the budget is heavily dependent on income tax and the cashing in of stock options during boom times. That money absolutely craters during downturns.

Not saying that single payer can't be done here, but it is a much trickier task for any state, and especially for this state, than it is for the US government. Nationally it is a no-brainer.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

bawfuls posted:

lol remember when we had a single payer bill killed in committee despite Dem supermajorities in both houses of the state legislature? Good times.

thanks state leg for never putting it up to vote :)

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

droll posted:

Meanwhile in San Fran Nextdoor

There are nuggets of gold among the racist crap.

Good lord that thing looks like it could buy a home.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

drat, rape and murder houseparty? That's rough

Do you not think that can happen at parties or something? You qualified your statement with "or ever" which is kinda dumb tbh.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Do you not think that can happen at parties or something? You qualified your statement with "or ever" which is kinda dumb tbh.

Not really. In an ideal society there would be a community defense network you could rely on rather than an unaccountable vehicle of police brutality to summon and hope that they aren't also rapists and murderers, but I recognize that's not the society we live in. Calling the cops on people for partying instead of just yelling at them to knock it off is incredibly privileged considering the very real threat it places on the people you report (especially if they are minorities) and, unless you or someone else's life is in danger (not theoretical virus danger, actual violent danger), you should cut it out.

"But people COULD be raped and murdered at parties!" is a hilarious goalpost-moving concern troll. They weren't and that's not why OP called the cops. They called the cops because they thought someone was doing something in their home that they didn't approve of. That's some NextDoor-tier nosy neighbor bullshit and deserves to be called out as such. How about you knock on their door, maybe verify they're actually partying, attempt to politely inform them of the danger in doing so if you think it's a real threat, instead of jumping directly to calling the loving police?

e: And look, I'm not saying you're a bad person for doing it. Everyone who hasn't had a bad experience with the cops yet can be naive about it. Just recognize you made a mistake and stop.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/cbssacramento/status/1251220303973355520?s=21

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Someone throwing a house party right now is contributing to a very real public health hazard that could lead to deaths. Not sure if police is the right response though, maybe some kind of public shaming instead. Ideally there is some method to just quarantine the party in place for two weeks.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

withak posted:

Someone throwing a house party right now is contributing to a very real public health hazard that could lead to deaths. Not sure if police is the right response though, maybe some kind of public shaming instead. Ideally there is some method to just quarantine the party in place for two weeks.

DONT PARTY
OPEN INSIDE

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

I'm not the poster that called the cops, but I think I misread this post

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I think you shouldn't be calling the cops on people during Covid (or ever).

as you saying you should never call the police on anyone in any situation, but then you posted

Cup Runneth Over posted:

unless you or someone else's life is in danger (not theoretical virus danger, actual violent danger), you should cut it out.

which is the exact hypothetical I was referring to so... uh... I dunno. Sorry I guess? The only time I've ever called the cops is for work. Sometimes they're good sometimes they're useless

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 17, 2020

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I'm not the poster that called the cops, but I think I misread this post

as you saying you should never call the police on anyone in any situation, but then you posted

which is the exact hypothetical I was referring to so... uh... I dunno. Sorry I guess? The only time I've ever called the cops is for work. Sometimes they're good sometimes they're useless

And a lot of times they're actively fuckin' murderous, man, c'mon. I assume you work retail or something and are required to call them on shoplifters, or something of that ilk. That's different; you don't have a choice if it's company policy.

withak posted:

Public shaming like NextDoor, maybe? :imunfunny:

Seriously though, I gave the right response in my post. Go down there, knock on their door, ask them if they're doing what you think they're doing, and politely chastise them on the dangers of the health hazard they present. If they persist regardless, that's not your problem. People walking around without masks contribute to a public health hazard too, you gonna call the cops on them? Parties in someone else's home aren't a threat to you and only tiresome busybodies would call the cops on them.

Look, I'll even write you a script:

*knock knock* "Hey man, are you having a party or something in there? You know we're not supposed to be having gatherings of any kind right now, right? I dunno how seriously you're taking the pandemic but a lot of people are dying out there and I wouldn't want anyone here to get sick. Sorry to intrude, but I had to say something."

That's it. That's all that's required. You've done your neighborly duty without extending a metaphysical hand into their homes to slap them with the long dick of the law.

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 17, 2020

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

FULL GAVINISM, NOW.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

FULL GAVINISM, NOW.

Marxism-Leninism-Gavinism

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cup Runneth Over posted:

*knock knock* "Hey man, are you having a party or something in there? You know we're not supposed to be having gatherings of any kind right now, right? I dunno how seriously you're taking the pandemic but a lot of people are dying out there and I wouldn't want anyone here to get sick. Sorry to intrude, but I had to say something."

That's it. That's all that's required. You've done your neighborly duty without extending a metaphysical hand into their homes to slap them with the long dick of the law.

Actually while you do this you can check out the composition of the party. If it is 100% white and they don't break up after your stern lecture then you can probably go ahead and call the police without too much risk of it ending in a shooting.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Marxism-Leninism-Gavinism

You forgot Pingism.

Once we the California Gavinist Party merges with the CCP we will be the CCCP Co-California-China-Communist-Party

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 17, 2020

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I've called the cops a few times on domestic violence situations. It always feels very loving weird and I hate doing it

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

And a lot of times they're actively fuckin' murderous, man, c'mon. I assume you work retail or something and are required to call them on shoplifters, or something of that ilk. That's different; you don't have a choice if it's company policy.

Public shaming like NextDoor, maybe? :imunfunny:

Seriously though, I gave the right response in my post. Go down there, knock on their door, ask them if they're doing what you think they're doing, and politely chastise them on the dangers of the health hazard they present. If they persist regardless, that's not your problem. People walking around without masks contribute to a public health hazard too, you gonna call the cops on them? Parties in someone else's home aren't a threat to you and only tiresome busybodies would call the cops on them.

This ^. Sending cops to someone's place is holding a gun to someone's head. Don't do that unless absolutely necessary.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Pomp posted:

We must acquire root privileges on gavbot

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

the reason some of us are surprised at newsom not going as far right as he could is that we thought he was trying to run for president

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Being far right or not is not what determines qualification for presidency. Newsom's excellent hair is more important than his left or rightness. So is his ability to raise funds. I haven't really seen him debate, though, that matters a tiny bit too.

e. he probably can't win, just to be clear, but it's because he doesn't seem like a guy you'd want to have beer with, nor does he have serious "own the <enemy>" twitter chops. Also he's from California which is probably a disqualifier these days.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Goodpancakes posted:

I've called the cops a few times on domestic violence situations. It always feels very loving weird and I hate doing it

Calling a bunch of probable domestic abusers to help a domestic abuse victim is weird indeed but what are you gonna do, fistfight their spouse? It's not really something you can just ignore.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Obviously if op was smart they'd have throw a few stink bombs at the party apt. Cops are never the answer because they might hurt someone so you gotta get creative. Turn off their power or something

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Jesus christ. Me asking them to stop their party would have been met with being ignored at best, told to gently caress off at worst.
They were visibly in their front yard and garage, cars were trickling in and double parking, like it was loving ballsy how they didn't care. No masks (no gatherings of any size and must wear a mask in Riverside). They were not taking this public health emergency seriously, maybe if some cops (im not a fan either, but gently caress) showed up they would think about doing it again, maybe their guests would have thought about it too.

You know what happend? The cops showed up, spoke to them for like 1 min, they left, then most of the guests left.

In the "before time" I never loving called the cops for any party even if its 4am in the morning. I don't give a gently caress, have fun. But this is different right now.

WHY AM I DEFENDING THIS? FFS.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 18, 2020

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Hey amigo I get what you're saying. I think it's risky to call the cops in any circumstance, but I suppose I've never thought about it in terms of a pandemic like this so whatever.

ya fuckin square lol :v:

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
56% of residents in Riverside CA are hispanic/latinx. Calling the cops on them is def. risky. It's a tough position to be in, going over there to talk to them almost certainly wouldn't have done anything because they're already ignoring the situation. It's not like they aren't aware and were gonna tell OP "woah there's a pandemic and local authorities have issued a shelter in place?? WHAT?! We had no idea! THANK YOU!". But ACAB and like to enact violence so... tough position to be in. (probably should have just ignored them and let them all kill each other, unless you think you were somehow at increased risk of exposure?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Jesus christ. Me asking them to stop their party would have been met with being ignored at best, told to gently caress off at worst.
The problem is that you didn’t even try. You didn’t ask neighbors to back you up if you failed. There was no attempt at being a community, just going straight to threatening state violence to enforce your will.

We should all be familiar with bbq becky by now, come on.