Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Jazerus posted:

forgive me for assuming that that's still an issue with the base game considering there have been a grand total of 3 DLCs since i stopped playing

i mean, two of the last three DLC are event packs and the third one pops a bunch of random stuff associated with china if you're anywhere east of constantinople

but eventually yes, you do end up exhausting all of the events and seeing repeats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I do understand the criticism of every character feeling the same. There are some random traits you can get that will make some characters feel unique, but like 90% of the time the only times your characters will feel different is when you feel like playing differently for whatever reason.

At least they've acknowledged this as an issue and are addressing it for CK3 by rewarding players for roleplaying their characters based on their traits and such. ...That's a thing, right? I swear I read about that, but I can't find a dev diary for it or anything.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

At least they've acknowledged this as an issue and are addressing it for CK3 by rewarding players for roleplaying their characters based on their traits and such. ...That's a thing, right? I swear I read about that, but I can't find a dev diary for it or anything.

They've alluded to it a few times but it's always been a thing they're going to talk about in a future dev diary.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

They've talked a bit about a stress mechanic where your character suffers for making decisions that conflict with their personality.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

That's what I was thinking of. It's not the directly addressing the complaint about the event system making everyone feel samey, but depending on how it's implemented, it may force the player to make different decisions for each character which will hopefully make each character feel more unique.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 18, 2020

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I'm optimistic about that stress mechanic too. And that AI will use it. Right now you too have AI characters sort of following their nature, but when every character has 12 traits it's hard to know anything about them. This character is gluttonous but charitable but arbitrary but kind but Viking - will he be a problematic ally? I don't know.

And as you've said in other Paradox games countries all over the world have unique situation due to their base stats (religion, culture, geography, neighbours, starting relationships) while in CK2 all of those things are fleeting. In your starting situation you care if your ruler has ambitious landed brother and some binary options like can he raid, is he of good religion or does he need to reform/adopt other religion etc. My ruler can be bad at war but you bet he will go to war. He may not be diplomatic but he will still make good marriages.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

VostokProgram posted:

Does anyone remember the youtube video that looks like its meant to be a track from Victoria 2's music, but the track has a bunch of in-game sound effects like factories being built layered over it? I think it might have been A Day at the Court but I can't find it.

I know exactly which one you mean but for the life of me I can't find it either... :(

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Various Meat Products posted:

They've talked a bit about a stress mechanic where your character suffers for making decisions that conflict with their personality.

This is the first thing I've heard about CK3 that makes me actually consider buying it

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

RabidWeasel posted:

This is the first thing I've heard about CK3 that makes me actually consider buying it
Yeah, that actually sounds really cool. Funnily enough it reminds me of discussions of HOI4, and the discussion of making the Great Purge a mechanically sound choice that doesn't rely on a secret Trotskyite uprising.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I would say CK2 is a very complex game, but CK complexities arent on the mechanics it shares with EU (diplomacy, war), but on its unique mechanics (family, inheritances, marriages, court managing etc)

And also, you do can ignore most of its complexity and play it like a sub-EU (fabricate claims, attack, repeat, see you color grown on the map), and then it is really a very simple, and boring, game.

EU4 and CK2 are the paradox games I like, and I like them for different reasons. But I played a lot more of CK2 and had much more varied and interesting games on it. But maybe is because I suck at EU4

edit: I do agree about the events. The one thing I dont like about CK2 is how "event-driven" it is. Events are a lazy and boring mechanic. The fact events repeat so much and are pretty much always the same regardless of who your character is ends up making all character feel samey. The idea of events is (I believe) to make the "RPG" part of the game feel more interesting, but effect ends up being the opposite. And if the events itself are, sometimes, interesting or funny, that only works the first time you get them, anyway

I wish they would move away from events on CK3 in favor of something more "organic", more dynamic. But I also dont know what could replace them

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Apr 21, 2020

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Elias_Maluco posted:

I wish they would move away from events on CK3 in favor of something more "organic", more dynamic. But I also dont know what could replace them

yeah me too.

I think it would be cool if you had petitioners that request things or ask you to make decisions, but only when you grant them an audience. It would basically be the same as events but you'd have a bit more control over when you address them. It would help avoid the problem of being in the middle of something (like a war) and getting an event popup about something totally unrelated that breaks your concentration.

Some of the petitions could be urgent and the petitioner would get pissed if you ignore them, but a lot of them could be minor stuff like "hey I'm a character with better stats than your current commander, make me a commander". Stuff that the game thinks you might want to look at but no big deal if you're in the middle of something else.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

fuf posted:

yeah me too.

I think it would be cool if you had petitioners that request things or ask you to make decisions, but only when you grant them an audience. It would basically be the same as events but you'd have a bit more control over when you address them. It would help avoid the problem of being in the middle of something (like a war) and getting an event popup about something totally unrelated that breaks your concentration.

Some of the petitions could be urgent and the petitioner would get pissed if you ignore them, but a lot of them could be minor stuff like "hey I'm a character with better stats than your current commander, make me a commander". Stuff that the game thinks you might want to look at but no big deal if you're in the middle of something else.

Yeah, thats annoying and it breaks "immersion" and roleplay too. Like, you might be literally commanding an army and on the middle of a battle and get some dumb event about your dog or some court flirting

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Your reminder that EU4 is weird AF.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

One of the other things they've said about CK3 events is that they're trying to reduce the level of "noise." They seem to plan on there being a lot fewer generic/filler events, and instead they want every event be more impactful. So I dunno, it all depends on execution, but they're at least recognizing the issue with all the generic events in CK2.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Not sure if they handle it well.

In an effort to improve Imperator devs doubled down on producing events because people want events. Then they saw that it's irritating to have so many events about things you don't care about so they moved those events to spam folder you can ignore. I hope they don't mean that Kafkaesque system.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I like all the flavor events in CK2.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I like all the flavor events in CK2.

Not only that, I really wished there were more culture-specific events.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Paradox seems to have a questionable grasp on what people want out of their games.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

TOOT BOOT posted:

Paradox seems to have a questionable grasp on what people want out of their games.

It’s vicky3

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Culture-specific events or interesting flavor events are not the problem. The problem is the wide swathe of super generic events that everyone everywhere gets all the time. It's easy to get tired of those pretty quickly.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It’s vicky3

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It’s vicky3

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It’s vicky3

I want HoI5.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It’s vicky3

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hellioning posted:

I want HoI5.
I just want a HoI4 Soviet Focus Tree re-work.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Paradox players really want Stellaris. I mean they really want it. This much is obvious from observation. I want it to. I badly want Stellaris.

Unfortunately, Paradox just says we have Stellaris at home. Then we get home.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Hellioning posted:

I want HoI5.

I also want HoI5.

In Vicky 3.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It’s vicky3

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It’s vicky3

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It’s vicky3

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Am I the only one who wants EU5 with someone other than Johan as director

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

PittTheElder posted:

Am I the only one who wants EU5 with someone other than Johan as director

Outside of some sort of new fantasy IP that's what I want most out of PDS next. Hopefully that's what Wiz is off tinkering with.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Did Vicky 3 get announced?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Did Vicky 3 get announced?

Yes, in our hearts.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
They released it already, it's called Empress: London. It's also a sequel to Hellgate: London and Fallen London.

I dunno, Victoria has always been my favorite Pdox franchise but I just haven't enjoyed any of the stuff they've released in the past few years much. I can't really look forward to a possible Vicky 3 all that much.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Elias_Maluco posted:

A modder for Three Kingdoms Total War (a game with CK2 style events that occur with your characters based on traits ect.) created a good system for that game. You come up with the 'event' but have a large number of modifiers that influence details of how it plays out. For example an event where your main character decides that alcohol is bad and should be banned. If you have generals that like you they say "thats a great idea, we are gonna ban alcohol after victories". If you have generals that like you and are non-drinkers themselves they can ban alcohol in military camps at all times. If you have generals who dislike you they make fun of you for being a weenie, if they dislike you and are a drunk themselves they throw a party to spite you.

I thought that is a pretty good idea to be able to generate a exponential number of variations on events, plus it brings in factors from not only your character but other characters as well.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 24, 2020

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

CK2 may be easier than EU4 but I don't know how you could call it less complex. Compare the simulation of royal marriages, PUs and vassals in each game. Combat mechanics. Disease mechanics (lol Influenza). Character stats and events. Religions.

EU4 is probably harder largely because it's simpler; the hand-written AI has a slightly better chance of engaging with all the mechanics in a way that benefits itself.

The big thing EU4 has over CK2 is aggressive expansion; it's a very interesting and engaging mechanic (maybe by accident, maybe not) while the CK2 equivalent is really dumb and straightforward.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
ck2 has more numbers on screens but it feels a lot more straight forward and simple in the way those actually operate, and with less things going on that you the player actually interact with. and maybe thats just being the wrong religion or something by playing as an islamic ruler, but can you elaborate on how the things you listed are more complex in ck2 other than disease (not complex but also just not really a mechanic in the same way at all in eu4) and character stats (same again).

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Anno posted:

Outside of some sort of new fantasy IP that's what I want most out of PDS next. Hopefully that's what Wiz is off tinkering with.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It’s vicky3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I don't think taking an enumerated list of the mechanics stats and bars of CK2 and EU4 (and the other games of that ilk) and saying "ah, yes, CK2 has twice as many moving gears" is an interesting or useful analysis. Which parts of the games are more complex and more stripped down? Why? Should they be as complex as they are? Should they be more complex? Do they model the important themes of this period of history? Any of these questions is more interesting than just saying "well, you have more control over unit composition in eu4, ergo, it's more complex".