Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

quote:

Younger son: "We can just say there isn't any mom because she was shot — in Africa!"
And thus was born the schoolyard legend of Danger Mom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

doctorfrog posted:

I read that as "Show Troopers" and imagined quite the chorus line, let me tell you.

The Weird Al concert I went to in August had this.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Krankenstyle posted:

lmao, just heard from my friend that his sons were playing & asked him "let's play house!"

My friend: "but mom isn't home, who'll be mom?"

Younger son: "We can just say there isn't any mom because she was shot — in Africa!"

:kiddo:

This reminds me, at some point last year one of my first grade students handed in... I forget if it was math class work or math homework, but at the bottom of the page, near nothing else, was simply the word "Chinese"

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie

LoveMeDead posted:

When my daughter was 4 or 5 we played the "I love you more than" game. We would name bigger and bigger things until one day she ended it with "I love you more than toilet paper."

Where do you go from there? She's 15 now and we still say that.

This post has aged incredibly well

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
My 4 yo nephew woke up from a dead sleep crying. He had a nightmare; people were turning into peacocks!

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
That would be pretty scary, I don't blame him one bit

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Hopes Fall posted:

My 4 yo nephew woke up from a dead sleep crying. He had a nightmare; people were turning into peacocks!

There's a commercial on TV where a guy sprouts a peacock tail. Either gum or mints, I think.

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z4VEn5PmVM

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Hopes Fall posted:

Perfectly reasonable reaction.

(And also chuckle-worthy)

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I heard my six year old son making up a new song while playing with his cars the other day. It consists entirely of the lyric "Baby Yoda is my Mom."

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Those are my favourites. My brother and I can still recall a few nonsensical ‘songs’ from our own childhood - most notably “mud mountain, tuxedo fountain” (no idea) and “centrifugal force: don’t you know what it means? please help me now.”

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

burial posted:

"centrifugal force: don’t you know what it means? please help me now.”
I may have one sung that song as a kid while on a chain carousel. And by sing I mean scream.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

burial posted:

Those are my favourites. My brother and I can still recall a few nonsensical ‘songs’ from our own childhood - most notably “mud mountain, tuxedo fountain” (no idea) and “centrifugal force: don’t you know what it means? please help me now.”

My cousin and I made up insane songs all the time. There was one called "Shish kabob a bob bob" that is STILL guaranteed to drive my uncle batshit if you mention it, probably because the only lyrics were "shish kabob a bob bob" and "yora gora stink blink" and then we'd forget the third verse and just make up something stupid (yes, even compared to "yora gora stink blink.")

There was also the Holy trio of Obscene Kit-Kat parodies:
Champion poo poo
Bitch and Whore
gently caress Bar

"gently caress Bar" doesn't really scan, but it comes third due to the incredible transgression of the word "gently caress"! If you're not sure how the song goes, sing the Kit-Kat jingle and replace the word "Kit-Kat" with one of the stupid phrases above.

Also, we heard some song on the radio once and for some reason we were CONVINCED that the lyrics were "Oh, Carolina, ga booby boom box bras!" and my cousin tried to convince me boom box bras were real. I believed her because she lived in glamorous Queens and I lived in a haystack.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
If only melody could be explained in text. I really think that “shish kabob” number could go places.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
This weekend, I shaved part of my beard so I look like Lemmy from Motorhead.

When I called my kids, my son said it looked like "half my beard fell off"

My daughter said "Ew" and gave the phone back to her brother.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

burial posted:

If only melody could be explained in text. I really think that “shish kabob” number could go places.

Just imagine a slightly more ponderous and simplistic version of the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme song? Not the tune, but the general...gravitas.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
My sister posted this on facebook a week or two ago, it still cracks me up when I think of it:

quote:

(<5 year old daughter): "hey! Watch this!" Proceeds to run into the wall head first.

These kids need out of the house...

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

"Metal spikes will slow you down."

Deacon91
Apr 18, 2020
Sitting in the lounge room with a mate while the wife and 3 year old son decorate the Christmas tree. Son comes running over with a glass ball decoration hanging off his ear that the wife put there. Mate says take it off makes you look like a poof, at that moment the door opens and in steps my father in-law. Son runs over look poppy I'm a poof, we all burst out laughing while the father in-law stood there with a confused look on his face.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

nothing wrong with looking like a poof imo

my youngest nephew is very into hair clips

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That kid is going to punch some other kid because they’re gay, and only the people reading this thread will know how it came to pass.

Deacon91
Apr 18, 2020
He's almost 9 now and is the most timid little person, I don't think he has a punch in him. It's been well taught by his mother to be open minded about the differences of others but I guess we'll find out in a few years haha.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

My son had a phase when he wanted to be a mermaid. He'd take his shirt off and wrap a big towel around his waist to hide his legs.

It's all good.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Was he a The Little Mermaid fan? Because mermales are pretty ripped.

I hope I look that good when I get to that age.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mermen have very early beard onset. The one in that picture is probably 17.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, now I feel inadequate. My beard is not yet quite that glorious.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

Was he a The Little Mermaid fan? Because mermales are pretty ripped.

Nope, not a merman. He wanted to be a mermaid.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Alright then. It's just one of those things I can see a little kid doing. There was this The Little Mermaid cartoon back in the nineties that was pretty good and popular, but I don't think it ever really told you what the male word for a mermaid is.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Probably not, but Ben Stiller did.

Deacon91
Apr 18, 2020

a mysterious cloak posted:

Nope, not a merman. He wanted to be a mermaid.

Kid's just like what ever appeals to them at the time and because no one has yet set any social standards and expectations on them they don't think twice. In my opinion as long as they are happy and healthy I don't care what they like I will support them.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I've met at least a couple little boys who really like Elsa, because guess what? Superpowers are rad

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Superpowers are pretty rad.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Deacon91 posted:

He's almost 9 now and is the most timid little person, I don't think he has a punch in him. It's been well taught by his mother to be open minded about the differences of others but I guess we'll find out in a few years haha.

It's also your job to teach your kid not to be a bigot, not just his mother's, so please don't expose him to bigots if you can help it :)

Deacon91
Apr 18, 2020

eating only apples posted:

It's also your job to teach your kid not to be a bigot, not just his mother's, so please don't expose him to bigots if you can help it :)

I agree but as I work away I'm not home for more then 50% of the time so my wife shoulders majority of the load which she does an awesome job at and is why I give her most of the credit.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Look, kids hear much more damaging poo poo than this.

Easy script: "Remember when grandpa did XXX the other day? He used the word XXX. It's not a nice word, but sometimes older people use it, because people used different words when they were young. That's why it's okay for Grandpa to say XXX, but I really hope you never say it, because you could hurt someone's feelings." No, they might not remember, but the opportunity will come up again.

Honestly, the less you react to the word, the less the kid will notice.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Look, kids hear much more damaging poo poo than this.

Easy script: "Remember when grandpa did XXX the other day? He used the word XXX. It's not a nice word, but sometimes older people use it, because people used different words when they were young. That's why it's okay for Grandpa to say XXX, but I really hope you never say it, because you could hurt someone's feelings." No, they might not remember, but the opportunity will come up again.

Honestly, the less you react to the word, the less the kid will notice.

Yeah this is good advice!

Even better advice would be don't hang around with people who throw around homophobic slurs in general conversation especially when directed to a 3 year old, but that's just me

Deacon91
Apr 18, 2020

Even better advice would be don't hang around with people who throw around homophobic slurs in general conversation especially when directed to a 3 year old, but that's just me

Honestly if it was a constant thing I would have kicked him out of my life long ago but a once of situation 5 years ago that has had no adverse effects on my kid doesn't seem like the thing to exclude him from my life after 25 years of friendship.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Deacon91 posted:

Kid's just like what ever appeals to them at the time and because no one has yet set any social standards and expectations on them they don't think twice. In my opinion as long as they are happy and healthy I don't care what they like I will support them.

Pththya-lyi posted:

I've met at least a couple little boys who really like Elsa, because guess what? Superpowers are rad

Oh, for sure. He went through a phase where his favorite movie was Tangled and he liked to watch Say Yes to the Dress. We just let him do his thing, it didn't phase his mom or me at all. It was cute!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I don't feel comfortable telling relative strangers to cut family ties based on a single secondhand incident, and that discussion is not on topic for the thread. But that's just me!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, that's a bit presumptuous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

burial posted:

When I was young, we had a tree that dropped twigs in the yard. My little sister, offered a penny apiece to pick them up, began collecting them one by one in a handful held atop her head, singing as she went:
One antenna, do di do di do di
Two antennas, do di do di do di
...”

well into the hundreds.

She also named the sun Isabel for a week, and when we rode in the car and the sun was on someone she would gleefully squeal YOU HAVE ISABEL! at them.