Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
https://twitter.com/NEJM/status/1251571193984847874?s=20

What the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

too easy

Only registered members can see post attachments!

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The fuckin movies they're gonna write about this poo poo are gonna be insane

if there are ever movies again

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

shove these in my faceholes tia

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

keeping trump's people from seizing it for themselves :shrug:

e: lol that story is so hosed up

quote:

Hours before our planned departure, we were told to expect only a quarter of our original order. We went anyway, since we desperately needed any supplies we could get. Upon arrival, we were jubilant to see pallets of KN95 respirators and face masks being unloaded. We opened several boxes, examined their contents, and hoped that this random sample would be representative of the entire shipment. Before we could send the funds by wire transfer, two Federal Bureau of Investigation agents arrived, showed their badges, and started questioning me. No, this shipment was not headed for resale or the black market. The agents checked my credentials, and I tried to convince them that the shipment of PPE was bound for hospitals. After receiving my assurances and hearing about our health system’s urgent needs, the agents let the boxes of equipment be released and loaded into the trucks. But I was soon shocked to learn that the Department of Homeland Security was still considering redirecting our PPE. Only some quick calls leading to intervention by our congressional representative prevented its seizure. I remained nervous and worried on the long drive back, feelings that did not abate until midnight, when I received the call that the PPE shipment was secured at our warehouse.

Flesh Forge has issued a correction as of 04:21 on Apr 19, 2020

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

how can/will the virus spread through AC in a system where the apartment has a central building for heating/cooling which is pumped on-demand into every unit with individually controlled thermostats and fans/blowers/filters? is it possible the air can get into other units?

I'm already still worried about dry p traps :(

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

teacher! hey, teacher! you forgot to give us homework!

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Burn Zone posted:

does anybody have the picture like this m of the bus seating that shows where a covid patient sat and where everyone else who got infected sat

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I want a pseudopenis :mad:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

snoo posted:

how can/will the virus spread through AC in a system where the apartment has a central building for heating/cooling which is pumped on-demand into every unit with individually controlled thermostats and fans/blowers/filters? is it possible the air can get into other units?

Im assuming exhaust doesn't go into others intake to keep smells down but lol if this happens our race is dead

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

warthogs seem like noble animals

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

snoo posted:

I want a pseudopenis :mad:

turn off your monitor

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

snoo posted:

relatively low risk compared to a lot of other ways of catching it

all that droplet stuff and that study is people within direct line of sight and no constriction or changing direction of the air flow

any interaction with moving parts or like, ducting, just puts more obstacles and places for the droplets to fall / get stuck to

stay inside wash your hands wear a mask

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

snoo posted:

idk but there's a positive case in my high rise so I'll tell you soon!

I also severely doubt it travels through HVAC. If it was that bad we'd be seeing outbreak clusters tracking through buildings in NYC already.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

mastershakeman posted:

Im assuming exhaust doesn't go into others intake to keep smells down but lol if this happens our race is dead

Recycling of air in large HVAC systems is pretty normal, it helps minimise energy load. Usually the recycled air is topped up with external air, then filtered & temp/humidity adjusted, then sent back to the building.

HEPA filters are pretty normal for this, so, uh, hopefully that's the case for all of you!

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

BONGHITZ posted:

thas right

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Be worried about the common spaces and hallways, not HVAC transfer, imo.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

how is china lied about how bad the virus is congruent with stop the stay-at-home orders it's just the flu bro :psyduck:

i kind of get cognitive dissonance but this is just insane

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

comedyblissoption posted:

how is china lied about how bad the virus is congruent with stop the stay-at-home orders it's just the flu bro :psyduck:

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

comedyblissoption posted:

if people could put two and two together they wouldn't be out there marching in these protests

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

nice, thanks

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/politico/status/1251707109798023175

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

snoo posted:

Don't let your p traps dry out, pee in them to refill them!

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

Guess who appointed this chudge

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

BONGHITZ posted:

warthogs are dumb as poo poo and nearly blind. they follow giraffes around so they know when to flee. they also forget they are fleeing in terror after a bit and either see the giraffes and flee again or stop and get eaten. lol.

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

Are our cats related?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Pidgin Englishman posted:

Recycling of air in large HVAC systems is pretty normal, it helps minimise energy load. Usually the recycled air is topped up with external air, then filtered & temp/humidity adjusted, then sent back to the building.

HEPA filters are pretty normal for this, so, uh, hopefully that's the case for all of you!
Ah that makes a lot of sense. Hope those filters work again covid

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
I'm going to say if a SARS disease laden fart infected a bunch of people in an apartment complex via air drawn through the pipes into their apartments then centralized A/C will kill us all

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16696450/

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

I just don't buy AC being bad for anything except maybe short distance line of sight transmission. Ventilation is good, it diffuses droplets. The less dense a mass of virions is, the less likely it is to be infectious.

If wind carrying one virion to a target was all it takes to get infected we'd see tons of outbreaks outside, but we don't see that. We see outbreaks in poorly ventilated indoor places like churches, gyms, cruise ships, etc....

Poorly ventilated indoor spaces and public surfaces are the big transmission risks.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

facetoucher cat posted:

I'm going to say if a SARS disease laden fart infected a bunch of people in an apartment complex via air drawn through the pipes into their apartments then centralized A/C will kill us all

sars and sars 2: son of sars are v different tho

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Another day, another Karen.

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

daaaaaaaaaaaave

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Pidgin Englishman posted:

im not sure exactly how it works but i know there isn't like a compressor or heat pump or whatever in the buildings, it comes from a central building

what i know is that the AC (when they finally turn it on) doesn't work well or at all if the outside temperature isn't above 70ish, and the heat doesn't run as well if the outside temp isn't below... 60ish?

i can't figure out what this type of system is called

they also change our filters twice a year and I doubt they're gonna be coming in anytime soon..... not sure if it's safe to try to just clean it and put it back or see about getting my own new one.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

facetoucher cat posted:

was the "virus laden aerosol plume" a fart?

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/mog7546/status/1251557483732238340

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Malcolm XML posted:

sars and sars 2: son of sars are v different tho

Thank God because so many farts are happening around here, it's like insane hearing these people jogging

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Heartcatch posted:

Another day, another Karen.

Stop Karen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
a normal household filter at merv-13 will only capture half particles at 0.3 microns or 300 nanometers, sars-cov-2 is 0.2 microns or 200 nanometers, it might catch some but probably not.

you don't have much to worry as most household hvacs dont pull air out from outside or other units, office ones however "might", a hepa filter would filter it but most house hvacs can't use a hepa filter without dying for not being made for that much pressure.