Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Seventh Arrow posted:

Thanks for the answers! One last thing, when do I get a mount? Travelling by foot is ok so far but I can see that it's going to get tedious after a while.

You can either buy one right away with premium currency, or I think level, uhh, 10? 15? Quite early.

Once you have it you'll have it for all your characters.

e: Actually you can buy them for ingame money too, but you'll get the free one far before you have the ~50k or so that it costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Seventh Arrow posted:

Thanks for the answers! One last thing, when do I get a mount? Travelling by foot is ok so far but I can see that it's going to get tedious after a while.

You can use a mount from level 1 (or maybe after the tutorial not sure) if you have the gold or crowns to buy one (or got one as part of the edition you bought). But they give you one when your first character hits level 10 IIRC.

E:f;b

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Seventh Arrow posted:

Can you traverse the whole land by foot, or do you have to use wayshrines

You can! Though a lot of the times it'll be like in early WoW where the zone is a box walled in by mountains or impassable terrain and the other way in or out is by designated points like mountain passes.

Seventh Arrow posted:

The quest where Vivec's divinity is waning is quite interesting, much more involved than the 'bear-rear end' quests in WoW. Are they all like this?

Not by a long shot. While ESO prides itself on having few pure bear-rear end-collection quests, a lot of them are still cookie-cutter stuff that's copy-pasted between zones.

"Oh no, our village/plantation/temple has been attacked by bandits/goblins/an enemy faction! Please help us by killing 5-8 of them and bring me 3-5 of the <quest item> they carry!"

That said, Morrowind and Clockwork City story content is pretty cool.

Seventh Arrow posted:

Is the landscape scaled down or something? It's been a long time since I played Morrowind but I don't think it took under a minute to walk from Seyda Neen to Vivec City

Yeah, by a lot. It's extra jarring if you've recently played TES 3 or 5 and remember what those zones felt like, but you get used to it fairly quickly.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Private Speech posted:

the difficulty of enjoying the dungeon/trial story due to the group rushing ahead.

Sorry for quoting myself but I'd just like to add this in particular is super annoying. I have no idea what happened in half of the dungeons despite running most of them more than a dozen times. Like with CoA, the uhh, someone, some bad people burned down a tree village? And then opened a gate to oblivion I guess. But I can picture what most of the locations in CoA look like in my head, as well as all the boss attacks.

It'd be nice if there were forced story segments like in SW:TOR.

e: I guess I could make an alt and try to listen to all of it, except I'm pretty sure that would get me kicked ASAP no matter how many apologies I'd give in the chat.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 19, 2020

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.
Can I get added to guilds with space at the earliest convenience? :3: Have a stamsorc to 11 and really enjoying the babby BGs.

Cuddly Tumblemumps fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 22, 2020

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
There are probably guilds out there with people who also want to enjoy the story and do slower paced dungeons.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Oceanbound posted:

There are probably guilds out there with people who also want to enjoy the story and do slower paced dungeons.

I'm not sure about that, ultimately after you do each one once it becomes more of a hassle. Nevermind trials.

At least the non-DLC dungeons are mostly soloable with some effort.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

the UESP guild actually organizes story runs so everyone takes their time through them, though i don't know how regularly

the newer dungeons have kind of got better in cutting out a lot of exposition mid dungeon and just having the story npcs along for the ride kind of bark at you as you go through them, saving a big exposition at the end instead of the older dungeons which was like, a ton of mashing 1 to get through a convo

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Can you traverse the whole land by foot, or do you have to use wayshrines
You can use caravans/ships to go from zone to zone and walk each zone by foot, I don't think you can pass from one zone to another by foot

if a zone is alongside the borders of another you almost certainly can just walk there with a few exceptions (anything bordering cyrodiil really)

anything not bordering something you can just take a cart/boat to, though sometimes the navigation routes can be confusing

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Is the landscape scaled down or something? It's been a long time since I played Morrowind but I don't think it took under a minute to walk from Seyda Neen to Vivec City
Yes. Alternatively Tamriel grows physically over the years so everything has spread apart between ESO time and Morrowind/Skyrim time.
I don't think it's actually smaller, but you're right that it definitely feels different. Low level characters moved really slowly in TES3, and the view distance was tiny. They also designed Vvardenfell the way Disney designs their parks - lots of winding paths and well placed scenery to hide how close things actually are. Here's a screenshot taken from my modded Morrowind install with the fog turned off and render distance turned way up. It's taken standing next to the silt strider in Seyda Neen, and Vivec City is clearly visible in the distance.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Comrade Koba posted:

There is! It’s called the Crafting Bag, and it automatically stores any ingredients or crafting materials you loot in a separate, unlimited-size container.

Oh, and you need to be a subscriber to use it.

Well, that's poo poo. What if I get a house? Can I just put everything there so I can keep my group adventuring going? It very much hampers the mood.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

BisonDollah posted:

Well, that's poo poo. What if I get a house? Can I just put everything there so I can keep my group adventuring going? It very much hampers the mood.
Nope, gotta make do with the bank. You can upgrade the storage on the bank and your backpack, though.

Some tips (from someone who also just started and finds the inventory management annoying):
  • You can buy back the last 10ish items you sold to a merchant at cost. It's the same trade history for every merchant. So if you're in a quick bind find a merchant sell a few things and keep going then buy them back after clearing inventory.
  • If you're a hoarder, like me, create alts as storage for stuff. It does take some time to set up so that you know who has/gets what. Don't start playing with them, though, or else they no longer really serve their function as storage. If you do this keep your bank with enough free slots to make the sorting quick. Dump in banks, log out log in take appropriate stuff out with the alt(s), log back in with main.
  • Food ingredients are plentiful. Figure out which handful you need for your writ recipies and keep those in the bank, throw out the rest (or don't pick them up in the first place). If you ever want them they'll be reasonably easy to get by poking around in the right places (or if you're desperate you can buy from a guild store don't buy food ingredients from the merchants).
  • Alchemy ingredients I hoard but I probably shouldn't.
  • If you do the daily writs, iron and wood will always grow. You'll never be lacking in these (I don't know if this is true for the equivalent higher level ingredients, but I think it is). The same is mostly true for jute/hide. Point is you're fine not mining for them once you have a dozen or so starter iron bars/wood planks etc.
  • You only need a handful of runes at the start for crafting keep those in the bank, the others you can funnel to an alt to hold.
  • Weapons/armor/glyphs/jewelry use them, sell them, research them or deconstruct them. They're leveled and get outdated no matter what fancy name they have or nice looking stats. Don't keep them as "maybe I'll use them later stuff," you won't.

You can go out adventuring with nothing in your pack if you fancy. Maybe some soul gems and a couple of potions (I haven't used consumables much just playing the normal quests) and the character bound level reward potions and scrolls, maybe an alternate weapon or two at most.

If you go the hoarder route instead of the minimalist throw/sell everything route I find this addon to be helpful in reminding me which alt has what.
is

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 19, 2020

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

You can buy storage chest for your home, via Writ Vouchers, Tel Var Stones, or Crowns

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

BisonDollah posted:

At level 18 you get a 30 item capacity storage box for free as a level up reward. This box can be placed in as many homes as you want and can be used by your alts. The contents of the storage box are the same no matter where you access it so basically it is the item box from the Resident Evil series. You van also buy different versions of the storage including a 60 item version. Note that while crafting mats can be kept in the storage boxes the crafting stations cannot use the mats until they have been removed from the storage box.

Storage boxes can be purchased with the Crafting Writ currency (100 writs for the 30 item box and 200 writs for the 60 items) that is earned by completing Master Writs (blue or purple quality crafting writs) or purchased form the crown store.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

So the storage box is like a bank but in your home? Is it shared by your characters?
Is this page accurate? https://lovelynorth.com/home-storage/
"Writ Vouchers, Tel Var Stones, or Crowns" means fully leveled character or real money, I guess.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

It’s shared by your characters yes.

Master writs I assume show up when you max the skill. I’ve been playing for a couple months and never seen one yet.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Doctor Zero posted:

Master writs I assume show up when you max the skill. I’ve been playing for a couple months and never seen one yet.
I've seen them in the guild stores but obviously I don't have the skills or materials so I don't know what other requirements there are besides "a long way off."

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I want to roll a khajit but the whole notion gives me paws :v:

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Doctor Zero posted:

It’s shared by your characters yes.

They're a possible random reward for doing the daily writ if you have maxed skill in that crafting profession. Supposedly the random chance is influenced by how many traits you have researched, or recipes you know, or runes/potion ingredients you've learned. They ask you to craft a specific thing - usually a set item with a specific style and trait. People trade them because a lot of them aren't worth doing, at least for that person. Alchemy and enchanting ones usually aren't that hard, and provisioning recipes usually aren't too expensive. But if I get a writ that requires me to craft a chest piece with a super expensive style that I don't know, it's probably better to sell it than to waste my gold trying to buy the style.

Jewelry master writs are almost never worth doing because rarity upgrades are 10 times more expensive for jewelry.

If you ever do get into doing them, there are mods on PC that make them much easier to do, and give you a rough estimate of the cost per writ voucher so you can avoid the really expensive ones.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

So the storage box is like a bank but in your home? Is it shared by your characters?
Is this page accurate? https://lovelynorth.com/home-storage/
"Writ Vouchers, Tel Var Stones, or Crowns" means fully leveled character or real money, I guess.

Tel Var stones are actually farmable starting fairly early on, and I think might be easier sub-50 since they are from the Imperial City PVP zone. Not 100% sure if there's a sub-50 variant of it, it's been a while since I've done it.

It takes absolutely forever (and I do mean forever, in the tens of hours range per chest) to get enough though, and you lose half of the ones you have on death (you can bank them, but there's a multiplier risk vs. reward mechanic based on how many you carry).

e: This is all while doing fairly challenging group content to get them, with some bosses which hit about as hard as vet DLC dungeon ones. Oh and it's an overworld PVP area with reasonable amount of players running about (you can keep the stones your kills lose). You can also technically trade crowns for gold, you can make up to $2+ an hour worth by farming craglorn resource spots. But it might be better to just spend the money instead, it's not the most fun thing ever to do.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 20, 2020

worst ever at ping-pong
Jun 11, 2010

Just picked up the game for quarantine. The first trait I noticed was impen and thought "oh it's resilience, just like Burning Crusade." Then "oh I bet you need it on every slot for pvp." Then "I wonder how long until everyone gets base impen, just like how resilience was changed." Then like a week later they announce a big change to give everyone base impen and nerf the trait because it's incredibly boring itemization. So only several more years before impen gets reworked to apply flatly to all player damage, and another several until removed altogether I guess.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I think there is some truth that having more traits or motifs learned on a character increases your chances for getting master writs because my crafter frequently gets them.

The addon Writ Worthy will show you the mat cost of a master writ and whether you can craft it or not.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

When playing a necromancer is there an easy way to spot party member corpses when they die in a dungeon? With all of the shiny corpses for necro abilities I find it super difficult to rez people.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

g0del posted:

I don't think it's actually smaller, but you're right that it definitely feels different. Low level characters moved really slowly in TES3, and the view distance was tiny. They also designed Vvardenfell the way Disney designs their parks - lots of winding paths and well placed scenery to hide how close things actually are. Here's a screenshot taken from my modded Morrowind install with the fog turned off and render distance turned way up. It's taken standing next to the silt strider in Seyda Neen, and Vivec City is clearly visible in the distance.

ESO morrowind is like mayble 20% compressed but yeah if your character in TES 3 had movement speeds like an ESO character starting out it would take less than a minute to get to vivec with modern draw distances, its not that big an island

it is pretty close though, and id recommend the first time through just doing it on foot and using silt striders for fast travel if you got the time for it

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Apr 20, 2020

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

What's the "Well Fed" buff do? Got it after eating and drinking, because I thought those buffes co-exist alongside each other. Well apparently they don't. So I get the buff from the last food/drink I consumed, plus the "well fed" buff?

count_von_count
Nov 6, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

ESO morrowind is like mayble 20% compressed but yeah if your character in TES 3 had movement speeds like an ESO character starting out it would take less than a minute to get to vivec with modern draw distances, its not that big an island

it is pretty close though, and id recommend the first time through just doing it on foot and using silt striders for fast travel if you got the time for it

It also feels smaller because most of the ruins/tombs/caves in tes3 aren't accessible in eso. IMO no big loss as far as the random caves are concerned but I wish more of the dwemer/daedric ruins, dunmer fortresses, and ancestral tombs were explorable.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Rerolled on PC, looking for guild invite on NA @Diephoon69

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 21, 2020

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Just curious. How do people normally play? First person or third?

E: also finally got CP160 tonight! :toot:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Third person for life. I get enough first person in rl

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.
Anyone in either guild very active with small scale RvR?

Snowy posted:

Third person for life. I get enough first person in rl

:shuckyes:

Burnt Poffin
Oct 10, 2012
I'll use first person if I want to get a close-up of something, otherwise it's third-person.

I use first-person for normal Elder Scroll games though, since the third-person view in those are terrible for combat.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
It was years ago now, but I spent an embarrassingly long time playing the game not even knowing there was third person.

Third person is the only way to play, though, since it's way easier to see where enemies and all the red circles are. And you can't see your outfits if you stay in first person.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
First person if I'm questing, third person for everything else. With a good PC and some graphics mods (Daybreak and Plushenkos Reshade) ESO can be pretty immersive.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Yeah, that's what I do. If I'm just running around exploring or collecting poo poo, I use 1st. In combat I use 3rd unless it's just against a simple mob or something.

No.Mercy
Oct 4, 2011
I recently gave this game another try after about a 2 year hiatus and it looks good! Can I get a NA guild invite @MystikJim ??

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy
Invites caught up to this point, everyone who has posted has been invited to the main guild and the crafting guild.

felyna
Apr 29, 2017
I just picked up this game during the past free play event, and am really enjoying it. I am hoping for an NA PC invite as I begin to explore. @Anithira

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

I'm closing in on cp 160, guess I should start trying to play with other people. Could use an NA PC invite is possible. @Frustrated

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Frustrated posted:

I'm closing in on cp 160, guess I should start trying to play with other people. Could use an NA PC invite is possible. @Frustrated

The Governor of Tamriel has declared lockdown and nobody can leave their player housing.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I did this free trial subscription thing and aim to finish the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild before it's up on Monday, this should be doable right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

BisonDollah posted:

I did this free trial subscription thing and aim to finish the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild before it's up on Monday, this should be doable right?

oh yeah